size
Extra large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

OverachieverSamhain 2022Double MasterThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
09-14-2022, 08:58 PM

It had been nice getting to speak with his sister and tell her about his plans.  It had been a good run to go from the rapids down to the hallows so after talking with his sister Kotori had taken some time to rest.  His injuries were angry at him anyway, he had hardly been acknowledging them for his trip down here.  It was fine, they had been treated and healing but that didn’t mean the pain was less real when he ignored them.  Kotori just didn’t have time to be a pansy and lay about until healed.

The day would end soon and Kotori had enough rest.  The horned wolf didn’t want to end the day without speaking with Artorias if the alpha had time to speak with him.  Alliances should be set up sooner than later.  Kotori would be shocked if Artorias wouldn’t agree to an alliance but the earth-toned wolf would take nothing for granted.   Hell, how stupid would Kotori look if he was wrong and they didn’t want to ally for some reason Kotori was unaware of?

Leaving the room he’d rested in Kotori looked up at the sky, the faint edges of it darkening and starting to form, a cloak ready to be swept down.  The sun was going to start touching the horizon shortly.  A tentative cricket somewhere had started its chirp.  Kotori imagined that would quickly grow in number.

The wolf made his way through the castle, remembering the last time he’d been here and the bitter memories of saying goodbye to Ikigai.  Slowing his stride Kotori turned to where a garden was, he’d caught the scent of his sister’s mate.  So far he had seemed a decent wolf, worthy of his sister, and Kotori didn’t take such a judgment lightly.  Once he spotted Artorias, with quiet steps he would make his way up near him.  Yes, the sun was now touching the horizon.  Even though the sun still wasn’t gone the subtle signs of the moon farther off could already be seen.  

“Hello Artorias, do you have some time for a talk?” His words kept polite, a tone reserved for those who actually deserved to be treated with respect, and in Kotori’s view, that was a limited number of wolves.

"Kotori Fatalis"

[Image: HMmbDEu.png]
 [Image: ezgif.com-gif-maker_39.gif]

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
09-21-2022, 12:45 PM

The winds of winter whistled across Auster, a strange and unexpected departure from the southern continent's usual warmer climate. It didn't feel anywhere near as cold as the extended winter they had suffered through some years ago, but it was still different for these lands. A light snowfall had begun in the later hours of the evening, flurries of powdery white descending to begin coating the earth in a soft blanket. Artorias stood in the castle gardens and watched as the sparse snowflakes fell around him, the cold breeze rippling through his dense coat. It would be another chilly night tonight. They'd need to make sure all the castle fires were burning—especially the ones for Briar. The Aegis was a protective and compassionate wolf on a good day; the prospect of fatherhood only seemed to amplify those qualities even further.

Turning to head back into the castle, the dire wolf followed the cobblestone paths to the terraces and made his way to the castle doors. Walking up the terrace steps, Artorias saw the spotted form of his brother-in-law coming out of the castle and greeted the young man with a smile and a nod. Although he and Kotori hadn't spent much time one-on-one, he had seen the ambition in his sibling by marriage when he watched the Fatalis fight to stake his claim for a pack. Although the encounter hadn't gone the way anyone would have hoped, Kotori had come out standing tall and wearing his battle scars with pride. A true Fatalis, for better or for worse, he supposed.

"Good evening, Kotori," he greeted his brother, pausing in his stride only when his guest asked if he had a moment to talk. "For family, always. Come." Artorias led Kotori back into the quiet of the castle halls and out of the cold evening, making his way down to the great hall to feed the fire. As the Aegis, he was also the fire keeper for the Hallows, and as long as a Carpathian ruled, the fires would never stop burning. "What's on your mind, Ko?"

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Carpathian" | "Corbin" | "Eira" | "Argent"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Kotori

Loner

Master Fighter (340)

Master Hunter (330)

An icon representing the specialty Juggernaut Juggernaut

An icon representing the specialty Mangler Mangler

gems
size
Extra large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

09-21-2022, 03:35 PM

Kotori had never cared for the cold as much as warmer areas but he had started growing more used to it, having used the mountains near his new home occasionally for hunting.  Still, Artorias decision to go inside was a welcome change of location.  It was always strange to travel from farther up boreas down to auster.  The temperature drop was certainly noticeable.

Kotori followed his brother-in-law back to the main hall, watching as another log was tossed into the flames.  The decision to have a fire constantly burning was an interesting thing.  Kotori was one to focus on the main point before anything else but he might think to ask later what idea started this original idea to always have a fire burning.

“I’m about to start my pack, Valta.  I don’t know what was in that wolf’s head but Corbie left the land she fought to claim or at least keep me from claiming.” Kotori shrugged away what seemed idiocy to him, plenty of odd wolves in existence.  "No one else has come to lay claim to the rapids so they will soon be mine, and likely so will the sunset falls.” Briar’s husband had been raised at the falls so Kotori imagined that part might interest him in one form or another.  

“The hallows is a well-known pack for stability and has an excellent queen,” a small quirk to his lip as yes, Kotori had to mention his sister first, “and, while my knowledge of you overall is limited, an alpha it appears many feel is reliable.  I came to suggest a few things.  I wish to discuss an alliance.  As a mixture of business and personal interests, I also simply want to know you better.  As much as two alpha’s having a feel for one another as well as a brother wanting to know the man his sister married.  Family shouldn't be strangers.”  Truthfully, Kotori had family he wished he could disown, it would be nice if the family had grown a bit larger with someone he could respect.  

Kotori moved a bit closer to the warmth of the hearth then took a seat for himself.  He really should have gotten to know Art sooner, even before he had plans to become an alpha.  Dad seemed to think well enough of Artorias as did his sister.  Somewhere over the last few seasons, Kotori had wanted to get his own opinion of everything instead of accepting what others said.  When he had spotted Artorias occasionally at events, such as the challenges that had come up lately, he had always seemed stable enough but those were for limited periods of time.

"Kotori Fatalis"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
10-03-2022, 02:22 AM

The thing Artorias liked the most about Kotori was that the man never beat around the bush. He didn't mince words or play social games for the hell of it. He spoke his mind and he spoke plainly, something the Aegis appreciated. Kotori got right to the matter at hand: he would be starting his own pack soon, founding it in its own right instead of claiming it from the ashes of another. Artorias nodded in admiration. To start a pack all your own was no small feat. After seeing Kotori's unfortunate loss at the Abaven challenge, he had wondered if the Fatalis man would continue to pursue his ambitions for leadership. It seemed that he would indeed. "That's no small feat, Kotori. An accomplishment to be proud of," he remarked. Art listened in quiet contemplation while Kotori continued to explain his plans, giving his guest the respect of active attention. Kotori's choice of lands he was claiming did not escape Artorias' attention, and a bit of a wistful expression crossed his face. The Sunset Falls hadn't been his home for many years, but it would still always be the place he was born. He silently wondered if his family's old den was still standing...

Kotori moved on from explaining his plan to laying out his intentions for wanting to speak with him. He praised the Hallows for its reputation, and Artorias couldn't help but lift the corner of his lips in a bit of a proud smirk. He could not attribute all of the Hallows' success to his leadership, but to the efforts of all who had put their all into building and shaping the pack. "I do hear that the Hallows queen is quite the looker..." Artorias chuckled at his own humorous remark. Then came the bottom line—Kotori sought an alliance between the Hallows and the upcoming Valta. Artorias turned a glance to Kotori, raising a curious brow. The spotted man also wished to get to know him better. That part was easy enough; it was a sentiment that Artorias echoed as well. When he married Briar, his extended family had suddenly exploded with all new members he'd never spent much time with. The azure wolf wanted to rectify that, and so it seemed did the Fatalis wolf as well.

After a moment of consideration, Artorias gave a considering nod. "You've clearly put a lot of thought into your next moves, Kotori. That's good. Wisdom is a trait of a good leader." Artorias lifted his paws to warm his pads in the glow of the fire, soaking in some of the heat before setting them back down on the fur rug. He turned to face Kotori a little better, then said, "I'd also like to get to know you more as well. You're my brother-in-law, and one of the few Fatalises Briar talks about, and feeling like we're still veritable strangers shouldn't be how family is." The little smile on his lips faded for a moment as a more serious Artorias came to light. "Which is why I hope my next words you understand come from a place of professionalism and not personal feelings. I would like to get to know you and Valta more personally before I can consider forming an official alliance between our packs. From what I've seen of you, you conduct yourself with the same decorum and honor that I'd expect from any true Fatalis. But that's about all we know of one another. An alliance is a strong bonding of two packs. It means I'm saying that myself and the Hallows pledge to align with you and Valta. You'll understand why that's hard for me to do when I know very little of your pack, especially since the Hallows has to be very careful about maintaining neutrality. Are you a warring, raiding pack? Are you a sanctuary pack? Are you a training ground, or a school? Are you a prison? Are you an extension of the Armada or wholly independent?"

As Artorias spoke, he made sure that his tone and his words were carefully chosen to show Kotori that he was not denying him the option of an alliance, but he was asking for more before he could agree to one. "I share your desire to work on our relationship, Kotori. And with that, I'd also like to get to know Valta and what it stands for. For all my alliances, I make it a point of knowing those wolves on a deeply personal level. Once I feel I know who and what Valta is, then we can revisit the discussion of an alliance." But Artorias was not rejecting Kotori's offer outright. The Aegis had a compromise which he hoped would be equitable to his brother in law. "For now, I will say that the Hallows and Valta exist on highly positive terms, thanks to our familial connections. You and all your wolves will always be welcomed to the Hallows for any reason. We have plenty of supplies and resources we can trade and share, and I know Briar will probably send you home with a few casks of her wine. In time, I'd very much like to visit Valta so you can give me a tour, show me what your pack is like, and spend some quality time getting drunk and doing whatever the hell we want to do so I can build that personal relationship with you." A small smile crept back onto Artorias' lips while he fully turned and offered Kotori his paw to shake. "Do we have a deal, Alpha Kotori?"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Kotori

Loner

Master Fighter (340)

Master Hunter (330)

An icon representing the specialty Juggernaut Juggernaut

An icon representing the specialty Mangler Mangler

gems
size
Extra large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

10-23-2022, 12:50 AM

Artorias had listened politely to Kotori as he had presented his reasons for coming.  As the fire warmed the two wolves Artorias started off his response, sharing that what Kotori was doing was a noteworthy accomplishment. Kotori nodded, appreciation for Art’s statement.  There were times the arrogant Kotori wanted to hear praise for his deeds.  It was always welcome but less important.  His desires had grown beyond just showing off and finding his own freedom.  It wasn’t just getting to have the title of leader but learning how to be one worthy of the position.  It was going to be harder than he first imagined but a goal he could still achieve.  He had wanted to be a good leader from the beginning of course but every day he learned more about what that would really take. Artorias offered no sign of doubting Kotori’s abilities.

At the mention of his sister, Kotori grinned back at his brother-in-law.  “She is indeed.  Anyone wanting to argue that is welcome to come and speak with me about it.”  It was now Artorias job to defend his sister’s honor but, should it ever be necessary Kotori had no problem stepping into his brotherly role to do so.  It was all lighthearted but fully meant.

The first of Kotori’s goals came into play and it was good to hear that Artorias also wanted to get to know him.  Why hadn’t Kotori asked for this sooner?  Hell, he’d been here for the wedding and could have suggested it then.  There had been other matters in the wolf’s heart at the time but still, he should have thought of it.  Obviously, Artorias would have been busy then but they could have discussed a meeting up in the future.  No time like the present to make up for past failures.

The next part did honestly surprise him.  Kotori had thought the hallows would be the easiest place to build an alliance, after the Armada.  After the first few words of hoping Kotori understood he saw that Artorias was going to turn down this request.  What the heck?  How could Valta not have an alliance with the pack his sister lived in?  

Artorias hadn’t stopped talking though, explaining in fact why he was going to turn down an alliance straight away before even making the official statement they would not do so.  The packs would still be labeled on good terms at least.  The truth is, as Kotori soaked in the Aegis' words he had to acknowledge the wisdom in them.  He hadn’t even spoken of his pack's goals but just asked for blind agreeance.  Perhaps Artorias' answer was even better than the one Kotori had wanted.  It gave the horned wolf something to consider in regard to patience and thinking more deeply about a situation.

Kotori had quickly thought up packs he had wanted alliances with due to a few simple facts instead of any flaws that might be there.  Even if he did have faith in the packs he had chosen, it hadn’t been smart the way he'd decided.
The wolf turned his head away from Artorias for a moment, looking within at the burning flames.  He was making an impression both as a family member and leader of a new pack so he should consider his words well.  The fire burned brightly, easy to draw an eye but he turned his head to face Artorias once more after just a few seconds.  “I understand and, you are right.  Asking you to ally with my pack before knowing it wasn’t well thought out.”  If you are going to be an arrogant jerk at times you better be able to also admit when you are wrong.

“Valta is not going to be a war pack. Kotori’s lip twitched, “That said, I do love a good fight.  If anyone wants to challenge or disrespect us I'm happy to teach them of their errors,” Kotori grinned as he added in that last part.

Kotori smiled, a surprisingly soft one as he imagined his next part, “I want to have a family.  I want to find a wife who will meet all that I hope for and I want to have children.  I want to raise my children around wolves who will be good role models.  With that thought, I realize I want all wolves in my pack to learn how to act in a way that can be respected.”

"My children and the children of those raised in the pack will learn how to be the best they can be.  Regardless if they want to focus on fighting or healing, there will be basic lessons on etiquette.  Whatever field they decide to work in they will be expected to master and keep learning.
 A lot of packs had rules and were likely similar enough.  Still, Kotori wanted to focus on making every wolf be the best they could be, believing he could help shape those who joined to live up to his goals.

Kotori’s lip twitched, “and I am proud of my bloodline. I put value in being a Fatalis.  I was the son of the warlord of the Armada.  So, in my pack, those of ‘royal’ blood will have both a higher standing than those of other bloodlines but,” and he emphasized the ‘but’ “they will also have more expectations on them.  Noble blood should always do their best to show well and not dishonor that name.  If a wolf can’t live up to their title or blood then they don’t deserve it.  Noble blood is defined as the leader of allied packs and those they acknowledge as family.” This was an area he knew some wolves disagreed with.  Blood doesn't matter and all that.  Those who disliked Kotori's opinion and wanted to argue it didn't need to be in his pack.  If his friends or others he respected didn't agree with it then that was fine, so long as they respected it was how things worked in Kotori's pack.

Kotori let the more formal matters drop and grinned once more, “as to the wine, yes I’ll be taking some back, Briar already agreed to that.  I intend to have a party to celebrate Valta’s creation.  It will need lots of drinks.  I mean, there is going to be a drinking contest and I’m hoping for a good turnout.” Kotori shrugged, “obviously I hope you come to the party but with a large number of wolves there it isn’t the same I imagine as truly getting to know the pack or us personally knowing each other.  You are welcome to come then stay after or just choose another time to come and visit. Mmm…” Kotori looked to the fire for a moment, musing teasingly as he added, “and I guess if I become an uncle you might need time before you can come to visit.” Briar had mentioned it wasn’t a guaranteed yet but something that was hopefully going to happen.  “and  yes, Aegis Artorias we do have a deal if you still feel that way after what I've said”

"Kotori Fatalis"
[Image: HMmbDEu.png]
 [Image: ezgif.com-gif-maker_39.gif]

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

11-05-2022, 09:44 PM

As much as Artorias' words were meant as a learning opportunity for the young and novice alpha, they were also a bit of a test. He was probing to see the reaction of his newly arrived peer, trying to glean some information about who Kotori was and how his mind and emotions worked. Would the other man be offended by his rebuttal? Would he be accepting? Understanding? Angered? Kotori looked away and into the fire, clearly considering his choice in words. That was good; it meant that the wolf was considering his response. He was at least showing restraint and not leaping to a gut response that he feared a son of Sirius Fatalis might do. When Kotori turned back and acknowledged the wisdom in his choice, Artorias felt relieved and a little proud that his brother-in-law seemed capable of maintaining a level head and it boded well for their future relations as leaders of their respective packs.

Much to his delight, Kotori began to immediately explain more in detail his vision for his pack to Artorias. The Aegis listened keenly while his spotted brother assured him Valta would not be a war pack, that it was intended to be an extension of his family, a place he could raise his own in the proper Fatalis customs. It reminded him very much of how Manea had pitched Elysium to him when she came seeking relations with the Hallows. He had high ambitions for the Fatalis family, particularly his own. Artorias also wasn't at all surprised that Briar had already offered some of the wine they produced to her brother, though his brother-in-law's excitement around getting his paws on some did bring a hearty chuckle from the blue-furred wolf. "Briar and I would love to come visit Valta and see what you've created," he replied and an easy smile to Kotori. "And you and your family are always welcome here, Ko. Especially once you have little nieces and nephews running amok down here."

Kotori concluded his dialogue with agreeing to Artorias' offer of a deal, so long as he still wished it after hearing Kotori's piece. That was an easy response to give. Artorias nodded and reached a paw out to numb against the spotted Fatalis' in a pseudo handshake. "Then we have an accord, Kotori Fatalis. The Hallows and Valta shall remain close friends, and with time, I hope to change that to allies."

One big happy family