An icon representing the specialty Weaponsmaster Weaponsmaster

An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
09-28-2022, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2022, 10:47 PM by Mercury. Edited 1 time in total.)
Mercury looked up at the fading daylight. It would have been beautiful, if he'd been in the state of kind to appreciate it. The warm summer colors enveloped the sky as the sibking sun hit the horizon just right. But it wasn't the skyline that Mercury's eyes found. It was the form of Solar, his companion bird as he sank to a tree top above the wolf and folded in his wings. He didn't need to tell Mercury he had found nothing, the wolf had already come to expect the news. Weeks had past, and her trail was cold. There was no sign of her. No indication that she had been here at all. He had found the half finished gift she had started to make him, had carefully folded it in cloth and placed it in a bag around his shoulders.

It was hard not to blame her, just a little. He hadn't been willing to give away his heart for fear of losing it, but she'd convinced him anyway. She'd found a way into his heart, and he had let her do it. Now he had lost her, and he recaptured the feelings that had been his default before finding that she had been alive. The hopelessness of losing everyone that mattered to you. What did one do, after they had lost everything? He had no direction no purpose. So he watched the coming twilight as Soloar made soft, concerned noises above him. Wren was gone, and she had taken with her too much of Mercury.

"Speech"
[Image: dg62nk4-76f92f5f-869b-474b-8882-b89098d6...nlMae_v5_o]

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
09-28-2022, 10:46 PM

Crossing the Bifröst was never as easy a task as it was made out to be. The long strip of land flanked on either side by vast ocean stretched the entire length between two hemispherical continents. While Boreas enjoyed its warm summer days, Auster was held tight in the clutches of its winter, and this year proved to be a snowy one. The shift in climates was noticeable to the obsidian and azure wolf who walked the path from south to north, wrapped in a billowing orange cloak of his family's colors with his sword slung across his back. Artorias did not really desire to travel north, not now when his mate was expecting their first litter, but when Audra had shown up at the Hallows gates once more and told him of Menagerie's disbanding, the Aegis knew he had a responsibility to go investigate and offer aid where it was needed. Although he didn't know much of Menagerie or its alpha whom he'd only ever met in passing at public affairs, as Aegis he had a duty to help those in need. He only hoped he wouldn't arrive too late...

Moving up form frigid weather into more milder terrain that blended the north's summer and south's winter, Artorias was surprised to see another wolf crossing south on the Bifröst. Even more surprising was that he recognized this wolf. He'd seen this rich dark coat of midnight and gray several times before. "Mercury!" Artorias called out to the other male, hurrying across the gritty sand to approach the wolf, amber eyes focused with concern as he checked Mercury for any obvious injuries. "What are you doing all the way down here? Are you all right? I've heard some... troubling accounts from the north." Now up close, Artorias was able to do a better triage, looking the wolf over for anything that might need his attention. He was no healer, but a lifetime of being scolded by his master surgeon of a sister had left him with some basic first aid skills.

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Carpathian" | "Corbin" | "Eira" | "Argent"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

Master Intellectual (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
09-28-2022, 10:56 PM
Solar's peep alerted him to the wolf crossing the Bifrost. Mercury himself hadn’t yet started down that path. He had come here, to the end of Boras in his search for Wren. He no longer believed Wren could be found, though he’d held the hope long enough to run himself ruggard. He looked up now, and was surprised to realise he recognised the blue wolf approaching him. His expression was tempered, without the same level of warmth that had been in Merc’s eyes for the better part of the last few seasons.

In the same moment that Mercury recognised him, Artorias seemed to do the same. Calling out his name, and hastening his pace. Kicking sand as he finished the crossing of the Bifrost and approached. Mercury’s expression was tired. He fought to find warmth and energy for the greeting of a wolf he genuinely liked, and found himself coming up short.

He grunted when he realised what Artorias was doing - checking him for injuries. His paws were healing, Keahi administrations had been thorough and likely saved him from a permanent limp. “I’m fine” He said, waving off the concern of the other wolf. He let out a soft sigh at the question. “Menagerie is… no more” Perhaps if his concern hadn’t lain solely with Wren, he might have picked up the pieces. “Wren was… attacked. Whatever or whoever did it covered their tracks well.” It was clear from Art’s question that the Hallows leader would not be giving him any fresh leads.

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
09-29-2022, 12:02 AM

The way Mercury reacted to his presence, or his lack of a reaction thereof, worried Artorias more than the physical cuts and scrapes he found already treated and bandaged on the other male's paws. A quick look over his appearance told him all he needed to know of what the former Menagerie wolf had been up to since the pack's collapse. Disheveled coat, damaged paws, a desolate expression on his face... Mercury hadn't stopped searching for his mate since she'd vanished, however long ago that had been. Art did not fault nor begrudge his companion for his morose and curt attitude; he wouldn't have been very pleasant to be around either if anything had happened to Briar. Though Mercury dismissed his concern, Artorias did not stop his triage until he was satisfied that he was in fact actually fine. Then he allowed himself to focus solely on what Merc was telling him.

Artorias listened with rapt attention and growing concern as Mercury confirmed what he had heard from Audra. Menagerie had fallen, imploded from within in the wake of its alpha's disappearance. Wren had been attacked, taken by some unknown entity that had simply vanished into thin air. Artorias' frown deepened as he considered and weighed the information given. "How long ago was this?" he asked, fixing the other man with a resolute and fiery gaze. "If it hasn't been too long, perhaps we can go back and look for her together. I might not have known Wren like you did, but I can help you find her, Mercury." If Mercury wanted to continue his search, then Artorias would lend his help to the noble wolf. He was a skilled navigator and tracker; if there was any remnants of evidence or a trial, maybe they could salvage some hope of finding Mercury's lost love.

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
09-29-2022, 12:10 AM
Mercury frowned, eyes lifting upwards as he worked out the days. So many of them had blurred together. He had gone days at a time without rest. It was hard to recall exactly how many had passed. “It’s been… two weeks, maybe three” likely closer to three, but he couldn’t be sure. He was surprised at Art’s offer. It would be a long trek back to the site of her disappearance, and the trail was cold. But could he really turn down the offer of fresh eyes? “Wolves have trampled all over the scene at this point. Members of Menagerie, or the curious” He admitted. plus time, and weather had likely taken away the rest of the clues. Perhaps that was defeat in his tone, but he needed to ensure that Art knew what he was getting into.

“But if you think you’d be able to put a new perspective on it...” He let out a low, soft growl. “She’s gone. Whatever happened… She’s gone” another pause, as even in the face of logic he struggled to let it go. “But if you think you could gleam anything of what happened, i’ll take it”

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

09-29-2022, 12:35 AM

Artorias was so taken aback by the amount of time that had passed between Wren's disappearance and now that he was unable to contain the shock on his wide-eyed expression. Three weeks? The Aegis did his best to hide how discouraging that news was. It would likely be a futile effort to go looking for anything that might give them some leads now, but Artorias was a wolf of his word, and he had offered his aid to Mercury. If the once-Menagerie wolf wanted to continue his search, then Art would give him what little help he could provide. He watched while Mercury struggled to grasp the reality of the situation, clearly locked in a war between his head and his heart. Artorias' heart broke for the wayward man. He couldn't imagine what kind of state he'd be in if Briar simply disappeared one day. Perhaps it was that empathy that allowed him to give Mercury all the time he needed to grapple with what he wanted to do.

In the end, Mercury wanted to take his offer to go search the spot where Wren had disappeared. He warned the Aegis what condition the crime scene would be in when they arrived, and it did little to assuage Art's concerns. He pursed his lips, frowning some while he considered his next move. The chances of them finding any actionable bit of intel were virtually zero. Going to look would likely be a waste of time—but something told Artorias that the midnight wolf would be going back anyway to continue his desperate search whether he accompanied him or not. "I'll speak bluntly with you, Mercury. I do not know if we will have any luck finding anything that will help us find Wren at this point," he admitted in low, grave tones. It wasn't the most comforting of sentiments, but Art would rather be honest with Mercury than feed him a kind lie. "But if there's any sliver of hope, or any chance of finding some closure, it might be there. If you are truly set on continuing your hunt, I'll go with you to see what I can see. But it may not be what you're hoping for."

Beyond the nigh impossible odds, Artorias also had to consider he had a pregnant wife back home he needed to tend to. He couldn't be gone for too long, but he wasn't about to leave Mercury out in his despondent state all alone either.

One big happy family

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
09-29-2022, 12:46 AM
Seeing the compassion and patience Art showed him rubbed some of the glassiness off Merc’s expressions. It was clear that neither wolf thought anything would come of this, but would not going lead to Mercury resenting himself later down the line? Would it keep him up at night, thinking he’d given up too easily? He thought of the slow smile that came over Wren’s face whenever she looked at him, and swallowed back the thickness in his throat.

“I know it’s a fool's errand. I know it, and I see it. But could I give her anything less?” He asked Art softly, blinking a few times too many. “I promised her my loyalty. If I didn’t try every avenue…” he stopped, he had a feeling he didn’t need to try and convince Art. It seemed to him that Artorias already understood. “It’s a long way to go, and I’ll understand if you don’t want to take the journey.”

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

09-29-2022, 12:57 AM

The longer they sat and spoke, the more Artorias began to see Mercury's impassive expression gradually melt away, revealing the true turmoil he was masking. The poor soul was clinging on to threads of hope, seeking any sort of solace or answer. He didn't know if he'd be able to provide any to Merc, but he knew that not trying would haunt his conscience. He'd made a solemn vow when he took up the mantle of Aegis of the Hallows to provide sanctuary and support to all who needed it. They may not have been sitting behind his high walls in his southern kingdom, but if anything, that just meant the need for Artorias to uphold his virtues was even more dire now. Mercury posed a rhetorical question to him: could he give any less than his all to the woman he loved? The azure wolf nodded assent. There was nothing he wouldn't do or give for Briar, and that included walking to the ends of the earth if it meant seeing her. He could not find fault in Mercury's impassioned emotional response.

Artorias said no words right away, instead moving to place a paw atop Mercury's, a gentle show of comfort and support. "Then we will try every avenue," he reassured the wolf with a soft smile. The journey to the north would be a long one, as Mercury pointed out, and with a quick glance to the darkening twilight sky, Artorias smirked and motioned with a jerk of his head. "We'd best get moving then. If we hurry and move swiftly, we could be to the north before nightfall tomorrow."

One big happy family