size
Extra large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

OverachieverSamhain 2022Double MasterThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
12-12-2022, 01:05 AM

Kotori had called Athena at an absurd time, intentionally.  It was the middle of the night when most would be sleeping.  He had wanted to check that the wolf would indeed obey despite the inconvenience.  Kotori informed Athena they were going elsewhere for her two-part trial and with that would set off for his destination.  They would travel past the volcano that Habari once claimed, then follow the western side of the mountain.  It was only after they had reached the halfway point along the mountain that Kotori told Athena their destination.  Still, even then she would have to wait until they got to Hells River and Kotori was sure to find a predator along the way to make Athena prove her ability in a fight.  Then they passed Veterans plateau outskirts where a variety of metal objects lay about open rocky soil.  Only after that did they reach the final destination, Hells River.

The cavern entrance was already a bit warmer than the air from outside.  Kotori started the descent, glancing at Athena, “Your test is in here.  Be ready, it's about to get hotter, enough to feel the heat in your chest when you take a breath.”  

“I will eventually be holding a test for the members of Valta and a portion of it will take place here, in the very depths of this cavern.”  Down they went until they reached the end to see the large cavern where streams of lava flowed into the lava pool at the bottom of the crater.  Where the cavern had been dark it was bright down here, lit easily with the liquid flame below them. “Your task is to offer me a suggestion of potential trials that could be had here and why.  I want to see how smart my wolves are, how capable they are at surviving, and how observant they are.  This is only part of the trial that the pack will undergo so not every one of those things must be proved here but some should.  Take your time and look around and find inspiration.”

It was hot in here, not a place one would want to stay long but Kotori had to acknowledge the beauty.  Falling in there was instant death, too much time in this heat could surely mean death and yet it was still an amazing sight.

"Kotori Fatalis"
[Image: HMmbDEu.png]
 [Image: ezgif.com-gif-maker_39.gif]

Athena

Obscura
Philosopher

Master Fighter (275)

Master Intellectual (250)

An icon representing the specialty Bard Bard

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
Hermes

Pride - Bisexual
12-23-2022, 04:08 AM

Athena follows after her new Alpha, eager to prove her worthiness to him. Unsure where they were headed, she had stuck close to him and never lagged. An unfortunate predator had crossed their paths and now lay dead behind them but the excited still thrums through her body as they descend the winding dark tunnel. It grows hotter the further they go and, as they turn a corner, the bright light the lava casts into the tunnel almost blinds her and they are deposited in the cavern of lava.

Looking around, Athena listens to the test that Kotori offers her and nods in understanding. However, before she begins to explore and contemplate the validate of tests, she asks, “How far do you want to go? I mean, is there going to be a possibility of death and if so, would you want it to be low, medium, or high?” It is important information because, based on this, she will need to balance risk with probability of finishing the course. Which brings her to the next question, “How likely do you want it to be that the contestants finish? Again, rating it from low, medium, or high.” With this information, she can begin to plot a course.

"Athena Nocturna"

Athena has a Little Owl companion named Archimedes. He is always nearby.

Kotori

Loner

Master Fighter (340)

Master Hunter (330)

An icon representing the specialty Juggernaut Juggernaut

An icon representing the specialty Mangler Mangler

gems
size
Extra large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

01-03-2023, 02:54 AM

Kotori felt the oppressive heat the cavern held but at the same time beheld the beauty of the dangerous place.  The stench, in Kotori’s mind, was about as bad as the heat. “I certainly don’t wish death from anyone in my pack but it can be possible should idiots partake in it.” Kotori waved a paw at the lava, “I’m not asking they have to risk falling into liquid lava mind you.  A wolf in here too long though has other factors to be concerned with.” For one thing, the heat could suck the life out of idiots.

“I won’t be letting overly young pups or inexperienced wolves go on this trial.  This will be for wolves who are around a year of age or adults that have proven to be able to care for themselves.  This is for wolves that feel competent to fight in raids or battle against the toughest predator.  This is not,” he paused for emphasis, “for beginners or little children.”

Kotori walked a bit further into the cavern, eyeing a loose bit of rock he scooped his paw under it, tossing it into the lava and watching it sizzle and vanish.  “Right now you are just coming up with what you would do, and explanations of it.  I won’t give all the details.  After all, you might want to take the challenge.  Select wolves will learn pieces of the trial so that none know all of it besides me.  Makes the test more fun.  So, when you tell me your ideas just tell me what the dangers are and how extreme you think they are.  Not everyone has to win, this proves the best of the best and not just good enough.”  There were wolves in his pack with more time and rank who would gain more information of what would happen first.  

"Kotori Fatalis"

Athena

Obscura
Philosopher

Master Fighter (275)

Master Intellectual (250)

An icon representing the specialty Bard Bard

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
Hermes

Pride - Bisexual
02-09-2023, 04:01 AM

As Kotori speaks, Athena’s golden eyes roam around the cavern while he adds to his request. Nodding along to his words, she begins to form a few options in her mind while adding to or removing from them based on what he says. As Ko finishes speaking, the woman brings her golden gaze back to the alpha as she says, “Well, based on what you have said, I see a few options for tests here. First, most obvious one, would be survival. Send a wolf down here with a certain amount of water and task them to stay for a certain amount of time. This tests their willpower, rationing abilities, and mental fortitude. Being down here, alone for an extended period of time will begin to play tricks on wolves minds.”

With a small nod to herself, Athena adds, “Now, I also suggest that you have an area where someone can watch them in secret so that, if things begin to get dangerous for the wolf, they can put an end to the test.” Golden eyes then move to several large boulders that lay propped up against the walls, close to the flowing lava but far enough away to not pose any physical danger. A dark paw lifts to point to them as she says, “Another test could be one of strength and endurance. Using those, the wolf would have to figure out a way to safely move the boulder and then you can set the distance you wish it moved from there. Again, to lower the chances of danger, you can have someone monitor the challenge and deem if it gets too dangerous.”

Athena looks to Kotori to see what he thinks of her ideas.

"Athena Nocturna"

Athena has a Little Owl companion named Archimedes. He is always nearby.

Kotori

Loner

Master Fighter (340)

Master Hunter (330)

An icon representing the specialty Juggernaut Juggernaut

An icon representing the specialty Mangler Mangler

gems
size
Extra large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

02-14-2023, 02:16 AM

Kotori ignored the heat of the place and the way it even seemed to sting at his eyes as he quietly listened to Athena give her ideas.  She had some ideas he liked, one more than the other.  However, since he had limited what Athena would get to know about his plans it would be hard for her to judge what he would enjoy most.  For her limited knowledge on his plans, she had come up with some solid ideas.  All the more so when one considered she had to think them up without much time to really reflect on it.  Certainly, there were other places that would be easier to focus one’s thoughts in as well.

Kotori’s gaze slid from her to the flowing lava, “It is quite the beautiful sight, isn’t it?  A place that should be dark but has considerable light and shadows thanks to such beauty.  Beauty that kills and robs one of their breath.”  If he had chosen a home closer to here the horned wolf might have chosen to visit it more often.  “Your ideas are well founded and thought up.  Congratulations, I’d say you passed my test.  You will be getting a promotion.  Now, shall we leave?  Let’s see if we can’t find something to kill to assess your skills there as well.  Let’s see just how high up  promotion  you deserve.”

Finding something to kill was best done outside of hells river and even if they could find something in here to kill, it would be a hellish fight.  Bears or cats could be found between the path back to the pack land from here surely.

"Kotori Fatalis"