Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Samhain 2022
08-07-2022, 05:56 PM
I'm Tired of Looking for Answers

Birna peered over the ledge of the marble wash. She was tucked down inside the dried river bed watching caribou graze in the open fields surrounding it. Traditionally she would pick off a sick, young, or old animal and eat it but for now she was content to watch and get familiar with the dynamics of the herd. She had never considered herding such creatures before. It wasn't in her nature but perhaps it was time to let go of old ideas and embrace something new.

Birna looked to the white raven, Guelder who perched nearby. He'd been telling her tales of his homeland and the reindeer herders there. The only problem was she was one creature. Even with her raven and clouded leopard companions it would be hard to successfully raise a herd. Still it was an entertaining thought. If she could find other interested creatures perhaps they could band together to ensure a source of food and resources.

In the meantime she would continue to watch the herd. Searching for weakness in animals that needed to be culled and strength in those that make make good stock.

Speech

Kiela

Loner

Expert Intellectual (120)

Master Navigator (240)

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
player
nyx

Samhain 2022Statue 5 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 2Pride - PansexualIce Bridge Explorer
08-07-2022, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2022, 09:05 PM by Kiela. Edited 1 time in total.)
Though her journeys had briefly taken her away from her herd, it was no surprise she'd ended up back here following them. She knew they were the same herd she'd been following the seasons prior, though their makeup had changed. Their numbers had thinned but at least a few females were due to give birth in the following weeks and Kiela had no doubt the group would return to its former strength - if not grow even stronger in the coming seasons. Slowly the Jarvela made her way down the side of the riverbed, pausing when she saw a feline in her direct path. The stones here were easy to traverse, though mildly distracting with the way they glimmered and shone brilliantly in the midday sun.

It seemed like Birna too was looking over the herd, but maybe it was just wishful thinking on her behalf. She'd only met one creature in these lands so far who thought of caribou as anything beyond a food source and she wasn't sure she'd be lucky enough to find another like-minded one. Not that she believed in such a thing as luck. She let out a heavy sigh as she drew a bit closer. "Afternoon," she greeted the stranger somewhat gruffly. If she wasn't looking for company she had a feeling she'd make it clear and Kiela could be on her way.

Birna

Loner

Master Hunter (249)

Master Fighter (240)

An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Samhain 2022
08-17-2022, 09:30 PM
I'm Tired of Looking for Answers

A rounded ear swiveled at the wolf's approach. Birna turned quietly to look at the woman, a pretty wolf and a sizeable one. It would never cease to amaze her how large the wolves seemed to grow here but if anything it was a reassurance that she was in the right place. What could be more of a sign for the massive leopard, a freak for her size, to be then in a land where many of the predators grew to incredible size.

Birna dipped her head and chuffed in greeting. "Afternoon. Have you come to admire the caribou as well? I debate hunting one. I debate more on trying to herd them." She chuckled softly to herself, wondering what the wolf thought of such ambitions.

Speech

Kiela

Loner

Master Navigator (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
player
nyx

Samhain 2022Statue 5 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 2Pride - PansexualIce Bridge Explorer
08-25-2022, 12:32 PM
Truthfully Kiela wasn't sure she'd ever encountered a feline of this size before, but then again she tended to avoid most others - canines and felines alike. Perhaps she simply hadn't paid much attention before. She was glad though that the stranger seemed receptive to her presence and she continued her slow but steady approach, ever-vigilant of the demeanor of others. She had absolutely no qualms about fighting but reckless violence wasn't in her nature. She'd much sooner flee before causing a fight.

Birna's words caught her by surprise. Was it really such a coincidence that this stranger was watching the herd, wondering about the very thing Kiela's existence was built upon? The universe worked in mysterious ways though and she felt she ought to lean into it rather than reject the very surprising coincidence. "That's exactly what I'm doing here," Kiela answered, slowly at first so as to gauge her reaction to her admission. She wondered if Birna would be as surprised at what she had to say next. "I actually come from a family of caribou herders. My family has followed the caribou for as long as anyone can remember. My name is Kiela, by the way," she added softly. She had a feeling her conversation with Birna might be impactful for at least one of them, if not both, so introducing herself seemed prudent.

Birna

Loner

Master Hunter (249)

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Samhain 2022
08-28-2022, 12:36 PM

That's exactly what I'm doing here

Birna's ears flicked forward, her gaze focusing intently on the wolf as the canine spoke of her family and that she came from a family of caribou herders. "It's a great pleasure to meet you Kiela. My name is Birna. My companion, Guelder," she gestured to the white raven perched nearby, "has told me of reindeer herders. I have followed the caribou from time to time but only ever as an opportunistic hunter. I see the value in maintaining a herd of prey animals. Tell me, is your family here? Do you have a band that engages in such practices? I have had a hard time finding one and have much debated starting my own."

Birna couldn't remember the last time she'd said so many words in such quick succession. Being a lone cat she often didn't get opportunites to engage in conversation. Rarer still was finding conversation that aligned so readily with her current interests. How fortuitous that she should find a reindeer herder just as she was contemplating that very trade.

Speech

Kiela

Loner

Master Navigator (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
player
nyx

10-04-2022, 08:33 PM
Kiela maintained eye contact as Birna took in her words and responded to her. It felt important to her that the other woman knew she was being sincere with her words and not simply saying what Birna might want to hear; she wasn't that type, but she knew Birna couldn't know that for sure. Briefly, her attention shifted to the white raven, and she gave a nod of acknowledgment to the bird before redirecting her focus back to the feline. "Nice to meet you, Birna. And you, Guelder," she gave another curt nod as she took a few steps closer and slowly reclined to her haunches.

"No, my family lives far away from these lands. I left my tribe when I was young and have been here ever since." She'd debated starting her own group of reindeer herders? Interesting. She wondered briefly if the stranger's practices would align with her own. Reindeer were meant to be worshipped; their numbers had to be carefully culled. She couldn't imagine recklessly trimming their numbers without careful thought about the health of the herd as a whole. "Reindeer are sacred to my family. Your interest in them - how was it created?" Her grasp on the native tongue had gotten much better but sometimes she still fumbled over more complex sentences such as this one.

Birna

Loner

Master Hunter (249)

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Samhain 2022
10-22-2022, 09:36 PM

Birna listened quietly, feeling a sense of familiarity as Kiela mentioned that she had left her family when she was young. A similar case to Birna. It was common for the yearlings to leave the tribe and attempt their own pursuits. Some returned after a short while, some never returned at all. Birna had left with the intent on being the later, of staking her roots down in some new land and making a successful life for herself.

Kiela explained that the reindeer were sacred to her family. Birna cocked her head to the side. "Oh? For what purpose did your family keep them?" She had assumed the only reason was to be for food but it was not out of the realm that they could be kept as pets. She did not wish to assume.

"I have been living primarily in the north. Of the prey species I've found in these lands they intrigue me the most. They are graceful and bountiful. They move in herds of the like which I have never seen. Caribou were not part of my homelands but I did life high in the mountains. Guelder tells me of the many things one can make from caribou, of crafts he has traded with herders for. I wish to learn even more about them. I would much appreciate your wisdom."

Speech

Kiela

Loner

Master Navigator (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
player
nyx

11-08-2022, 02:28 PM
Things were similar within her family as well. It wasn't uncommon for yearlings to stake out on their own, though some stayed with the group they'd been born into for many years. Though Kiela loved her family deeply she'd never found a reason to stay. The herd in her homelands was well cared for and she knew she needed to extend the reach of her people beyond those familiar lands, and she was glad she had.

"Food. They were often the only way my family stayed alive and fed, so we cared for them until it was their time. We worshiped them as we did all the other gods.." Her family's rules regarding caribou were simple - never take what was not needed. Only kill when necessary. And never, never kill a calf or a pregnant female, unless they had absolutely no chance of surviving on their own. "Though some used their parts to craft things. Their antlers, their hides," she explained. That was all secondary to food but it was righteous to let as little as possible go to waste.

She nodded along to Birna's words. "You are right. They are beautiful creatures," she mused, her attention shifting to Birna nearby to the caribou again as they grazed, seemingly unaware of the two predators close by. She knew they were not oblivious to their presence but they'd given them no sign to be afraid, so they were not. "I would love to teach you. It's rare I find someone who appreciates them as more than just… another food source."

Birna

Loner

Master Hunter (249)

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Samhain 2022
11-17-2022, 07:12 PM

Birna listened carefully as Kiela spoke, nodding as the woman stated that the main reason for keeping the reindeer was food. She had a similar view on the purpose and though she did not worship them she did respect them for their role in the world and her own survival. Too many predators operated with a sense of superiority for their ability to kill and destroy rather that acknowledge their part as only one role of many within the great wheel of life.

"Thank you, I am grateful for this opportunity to learn. The band I hope to found will be called Rangifer in honor of the caribou. I had been living in the Lazuli Falls but a pack has since moved in so I am looking for a good place for the band to start where the caribou will be able to thrive. What are your thoughts on the northern territories as they relate to the caribou?"

Speech

Kiela

Loner

Master Navigator (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
player
nyx

11-22-2022, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2022, 09:31 AM by Kiela. Edited 1 time in total.)
It was exceedingly rare she found someone who shared these sentiments with her, or even a fraction of them. Her interest was rightfully piqued, in a way she couldn't ignore even if she tried. Like so many things that had happened in her life, meeting Birna somehow felt like what was supposed to happen - for how else would she have wound up here?

"The migration of the caribou changes each year, depending on the health of the herd and other factors," she explained. "As winter comes, they will move to the forests. The… more dense forests of the north," she struggled to explain. Though she'd lived in these lands for years and her harsh accent had softened a bit, sometimes she still struggled to express more complex concepts, unable to find the perfect words. "It would be a good place to start, to follow them to."

"I'd be interested in following you, at least for a little while," Kiela offered hesitantly after a long pause. It was not necessarily out of desire to be among like minded wolves, at least not entirely, but she felt some obligation to make sure Birna was on the right path. The thought of a misguided wolf or group of wolves chasing after her caribou made her feel uneasy, and she thought she might find some comfort in ensuring Birna's vision was what she said it was.

Birna

Loner

Master Hunter (249)

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Samhain 2022
12-22-2022, 09:59 PM

Birna soaked in all the wolf had to say, her keen ears picking up the words through the others thick accent. What she said made sense. So the caribou would move to the forests as winter approached. Birna had marked a number of forests in the north, from the great red woods to the tangled trees that had, unfortunately, been claimed by a pack.

"I'd be interested in following you, at least for a little while,"

Birna sat up a bit straighter and nodded, offering a gentle smile to the other woman. "I would appreciate that. I plan to find others that share my interest. Successful or not I will return to this place at the dawn of winter. Would you meet me here at that time?" They could then proceed to the forests and begin the start of their herd. If she could not find others who shared their interest then she could at least let Kiela know instead of leaving the femme to wonder.

Speech