size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
03-02-2023, 03:01 PM

The upside to having so many companions between the two of them was that Artorias and Briar would always have someone to help keep an eye on their children whenever they wanted to explore and play away from Hearthstone. It also meant having an immediate alarm system whenever any of the kids did anything they weren't supposed to or overstepped the boundaries the parents had placed on them. So far, Artorias had numerous conversations with Dusk, and even some with Thorn and Talyssa, but never in his life would he have expected to need to have a chat with sweet little Bramble. However, when Corbin came fluttering back to find him amidst the castle gardens to report that Bramble had returned home, his avian companion was keen to inform him that Bramble had stepped beyond the neighboring territories the Aegis and Queen permitted their children to roam, and had gotten caught up in a fight with a bear with a stranger. Artorias shot a look to his raven, wondering why he hadn't come to alert him as soon as Bramble went beyond where she was permitted to go, but that was an interrogation for another day. For now, the dire wolf had to attend to his misbehaving child.

Artorias was waiting beside Hearthstone's gates for Bramble when she did finally make her way back up to their home from her day trip, Corbin perched on his shoulder. The giant wolf was sitting right beside the open gates on the outside of the walls, peering out over the vast fields until he spotted his daughter, waiting for her to come closer before addressing her with a stern stare at the tawny pup. There would be no way for her to avoid having this conversation. "Welcome home, Bramble," Artorias greeted his child, his voice still holding the fatherly warmth it always did, but it was slightly strained with suspicion. "Corbin tells me you had fun fighting a bear today. Is that right?" Fighting a monstrous apex predator was one thing, but doing so far from home as a pup and with a stranger was another thing entirely. He knew; of course he knew. But he wasn't going to let on until she had admitted to such weather intentionally or not.

"Artorias Carpathius"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Bramble

The Hallows
Envoy

Master Fighter (400)

Master Intellectual (420)

An icon representing the specialty Bulwark Bulwark

An icon representing the specialty Tactician Tactician

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
player
Bunni

1KFestival OrganizerDouble MasterCritical Dodge!Ooh La LaStudent
Samhain 2022
03-02-2023, 04:27 PM

When pups aged, there were plenty of boundaries to be tested. While Bramble wasn't exactly the type to completely break those boundaries, today had been different. She wouldn't be able to say why. Maybe it was from her taste of the outside world with her aunt or the little trips with her parents and grandparents. Her bravery was slowly building with the astounding growth of her body. Already she felt strong and capable! Plus after the first encounter with the berry hungry bear out in the grove, she was nearly fearless! Nearly. And a companion was always within sight, so it was okay if she occasionally snuck out past the borders. Right?

Wrong.

She knew her mistake as soon as she saw the looming figure of her father at the gates. The pup was making her way through the tall grass in a somewhat jittery mood. Adrenaline still sizzled in her toes as she nursed the bruise on her shoulder. It wasn't a serious injury and if she didn't say anything, no one would notice! She'd gotten more bruises falling down the stairs! Her eyes grew wide as her clumsy paws hesitated, nearly tripping over a rock. When her teal gaze moved to Corbin who sat dutifully on Artorias' shoulder, Bramble knew very much what this conversation would be about.

Knowing she wouldn't be able to avoid the confrontation, Bramble made her way up to her father. She lowered her head as she gave him a sheepish grin and pulled her tail between her legs.  "Thank you, dad. I hope you had a good day today," the pleasantries were simply formality at this point. Before she could admit her own rule-breaking, her father was questioning her daytime activities. Another sheepish grin flickered across her lips as her tail wagged a little bit harder.

"He's not wrong, but just listen!" Her voice rises an octave as she stays in a submissive position with her belly nearly touching the ground and her ears tilted slightly backward.  "I kinda started wandering and before I realized I had gotten too far, I was in this really cool grape grove! You should see how many grape vines there are! They tasted so good. I didn't know the bear was there, I promise!" She stares at him with those big teal eyes as her lips begin to pout.  "You see, he was all wobbly and grumbly and mean to that guy! And that stranger isn't a stranger! He told me he's a Kaicho, kinda like you are the Aegis! He left after he made sure I was going to make it home okay," her shoulders shrug as if it wasn't a big deal that she had fought a drunk bear with Hattori Hanzo.

There was a pause as she assessed her father's gaze.  "I'm in trouble, aren't I?" She whispered before putting her gaze on his large paws. The pup really, really, really hoped her dad wasn't going to be too mad.

bramble's companions are to be assumed near her unless stated otherwise.

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
03-03-2023, 12:57 AM

From the way Bramble stumbled over her own large paws, Artorias knew he had his daughter dead to rights. The guilt radiated off of her, almost palpable on the air as she slunk her way up to him, belly almost on the ground and tail between her legs while she turned her best smile up at him. Bramble could so easily melt her father's heart with those big teal eyes of her mother's and sweet smile, but Art reminded himself that he had to stay stern in this moment. She had broken the rules and he couldn't continue to be a softie over his children's transgressions. The Aegis did not respond to Bramble's question on his day. He did not feel the need to drive the guilt into her when she already knew she was in trouble and had been caught. But despite knowing she'd been busted by the Aegis' corvid companion, her tail started to wag as she recounted her day to him, confirming where she had gone and what she had been up to. At least she had the respect for him to not try to lie about where her course had taken her today.

Artorias raised his head a touch, a single brow raising questioningly over steely amber eyes while Bramble described the Grapevine Cathedral for him and the events that had transpired there. At least she hadn't been looking for trouble, he supposed, but trouble had found her nonetheless. Without uttering a single word, Bramble confessed to everything in only the way an excited child could, spilling the details of everything like a triumph to her father. Artorias humored his daughter’s request to hear her out, from the venture to the Cathedral to the right with a drunk bear, to meeting a certain wolf from the south that was becoming fast familiar with the plethora of his children. That genuinely caught Artorias’ attention. He would have to make a trip down to Tojo-kai to talk to Hattori sometime soon.

As her story came to an end, the gravity of the situation seemed to sink in, and Bramble asked if she was in trouble while averting her gaze down to his large azure paws. "Yes, yes you are," he replied in his rich, rumbling tones, keeping fire-toned eyes on his pup. "You disobeyed our rules and went beyond the territories we permitted you to go. Your mother and I don't make these rules to be strict or mean, Bramble. We make them because they keep you safe. What would have happened if Hattori hadn't been there? If you had been in trouble, do you know how long it would take for us to come help you? Do you know what a full-sized bear is capable of doing to a wolf, especially a puppy?" Artorias didn't want to scare his daughter, but perhaps a healthy dose of fear was what she needed. This was the second time she had gone and done something reckless without any regard for her safety. Artorias was sure his children had given him more than a few gray hairs already and they were only a half year old!

Artorias gave Bramble a moment to absorb his scolding words, disappointed eyes set on her all the while. After he had given her some time to think about what he'd said, the giant father breathed a heavy sigh, his shoulders slumping as his stern posture relaxed some. He still looked upset, but not as angry as she might have feared. If anything, he was just grateful that Bramble was okay and unscathed. "No more venturing beyond the outlying borderlands, Bramble. No exceptions. Not without one of us with you, and not until you turn a year old. Am I crystal clear?" Between Dusk maiming her brother and Talyssa's run-in with the stranger on the beach, Artorias was growing very concerned for his daughters. Keeping them safe and instilling good decision making skills in them was turning out to be a greater challenge than he had expected. With his reprimanding done, Art softened a little more and lifted a paw, opening it up to allow Bramble to snuggle into his paws if she wanted to. No matter what happened, she was still his little girl, and he loved her more than life itself. "What am I going to do with you, Bramble Carpathius?" he teased with another sigh and a shake of his head, flaming eyes set on his pup with a look of tender love replacing his sternness.

"Carpathius Family"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Bramble

The Hallows
Envoy

Master Fighter (400)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
player
Bunni

Samhain 2022
03-07-2023, 12:11 PM

Bramble could feel the stern gaze of her father upon her fur. Even as her own teal eyes stayed on those big toes, it felt as if her skin was burning. Man, getting in trouble really sucked! The words part was disappointing her father. It was the absolute last thing she ever wanted to do. But how could she explain to him that sometimes she kind of just dazed off and didn't pay attention? Maybe she should work on that...

His questions struck a cord in her as she finally turned her eyes up to him. The question of what would have happened if Hattori hadn't been there to help had never crossed her mind. After tangling with the bear in the grove with Callie and Fern, Bramble kind of assumed someone would always be there to help. As stupid as that sounded, she was a pup after all and common sense wasn't so common quite yet. Her gaze would widen as the gravity and graveness of the situation finally settled in her. Her life had really been on the line if Hattori hadn't been capable of running the bear off. She really didn't want to die...

Why did trouble always seem to find her?

Words were lost to the pup as she nodded quickly in response to her father's terms. No leaving without supervision. She could manage that. Crystal heckin' clear! Well, she would try her hardest. It meant no wandering... Maybe her companions could help her stay on track. While her brain tried to whirl away with so many thoughts, she watched as her father opened up his paws to her. A smile finally returned to her lips as she wagged her tail. There was no hesitation as she fell into his embrace and snuggled up to him. "Teach me to be the best warrior the Hallows has ever known! Then you won't have to worry about me!" She teased as she looked up at him.

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

03-24-2023, 10:41 PM

Artorias knew his children were smart. All five of them were so, so clever for their age. Perhaps that was what made them act out and reckless; they had that same restless urge to just do that he had when he was a pup. He did not enjoy scolding Bramble, but he did it to make sure she knew how and when to make good decisions for herself. One day she would be old enough to venture out on her own, and he might not be there to protect or help her if she found trouble. The Aegis would always be there for his family, especially his children, but he knew all too well the risks and dangers that existed out in the world. How many times had he nearly lost his own life somewhere far from home? Who would have saved him back then? The best thing he could do for his pups was to prepare them the best he could, lest they come home injured or maimed or pregnant—or worse, never came back at all. Those fears remained silent and unspoken by the father who dared not sully his child's innocence with such worries. They were his alone to watch over so that they could enjoy the childhood he never got to live.

For all her humility, Bramble was attentive to his words. She nodded when he asked if she understood and didn't interrupt or talk back. She was such a good girl that it felt even worse having to chide her like this. But when he was done and breathed his rhetorical question on a sigh, Bramble seemed to come to life with an idea. A brightness returned to her turquoise eyes as she told him to teach her to be the best warrior the Hallows had ever known. That response caught Artorias truly off guard! Much like Talyssa, Bramble hadn't shown much interest in the art of combat until recently. But a late blooming flower was still just as beautiful and fragrant as the early spring buds. Art considered Bramble's request for a moment, studying her intent gaze for any signs of jesting or insincerity. He found none in those youthful green eyes. The surprised expression on the sire wolf's face began to shift into intrigue, a lopsided smile making its way across his lips.

"The best warrior the Hallows has ever known, eh? Well, you'll have some healthy competition from your brothers for that title, Lady Carpathius," Artorias teased back. A giant blue paw lifted to stroke along his young pup's back while she snuggled up into his arms, an imaginative gleam in her father's eyes as he pictured Bramble dressed in the vestments of the Hallows, bearing arms with her siblings and brethren. It was no secret that most of the pups' combat lessons came from their sire. He would be glad to add another name to his roster if this was what she desired. "I'll let you in on a little secret, Brammy. If you want to learn how to be a warrior and put your mind to your training, you can be the best warrior. In the Hallows, in Auster, in the world." A little tilt came to Art's head as he left the choice in her paws, just as Resin had left the same decision in his when he was her age. "Would you like to become a Knight, Bramble?"

"Carpathius Family"

One big happy family

Bramble

The Hallows
Envoy

Master Fighter (400)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
player
Bunni

Samhain 2022
04-11-2023, 04:52 PM

Bramble let out a hum as her dad stroked her fur. The comfort from her parents was more than enough to settle her nerves after tangling with a bear and getting in trouble because of it. Closing her eyes for a moment, the pup daydreamed of herself being the greatest warrior her father had ever seen. Maybe not greater than himself, but she would be dang close! Even when he mentioned that she would have healthy competition, she leaned her head back and let out a fake laugh. "Those chumps? My brothers have nothing on me!" Bramble peels back her lips to show a toothy smile as she giggles before snuggling back up to her dad.

She would have agreed with him that she truly could be the best in the whole world, but then he asked if she wanted to be a knight. Pulling quickly out of his embrace, she jumps up onto all fours. Her head raises as her tail flips over her back. "You mean it!? I can really be a Knight?" Bramble is the epitome of excitement as her body wiggles from snout to tail tip. "Of course, I want to be a Knight! When can I start?!" Her voice reaches an octave it hasn't previously as she bounces in place eagerly.

Bramble Carpathius

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

04-30-2023, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2023, 03:25 PM by Artorias. Edited 1 time in total.)

If there was one thing Artorias admired the most about his children, it was their indomitable spirits. Nothing fazed them, nothing turned them off from a challenge, and they took the world on by storm. He hoped that they never lost that ambition or drive so long as they lived. Bramble's jesting laugh and wide grin as she proclaimed that her "chump brothers" didn't have anything on her earned her an amused chuckle from her sire as well, Artorias flashing his teeth back in an adoring smile. "That's the spirit! Never let anyone stand in your way of your dreams, Brammy." Sure, it was easy to say that anyone could be anything if they believed and worked towards their goals, but here in the Hallows, Artorias truly believed that was the case. Just look at him and his family—set on the border of extinction, just a ragtag group of pups and wayward adults all living by the same creed, and now here he was, alpha of one of the largest packs in the land, an accomplished leader and prolific swordsman, and a very, very proud father to five magnificent pups. If Artorias could go from a scruffy blue nobody to what he was today, then his daughter could be whoever she wanted to be!

When he asked her if she would be interested in being a Knight, Bramble's barely contained excitement almost had her father in stitches, she was so damn adorable! Watching his pup wiggling and vibrating with enthusiasm as she asked to get started right away, the dire wolf placed a giant paw atop her head and ruffled up her puppy fur and jostled her ears. "Of course I mean it! If you wanna be a Knight, then we'll make you a Knight! We'll teach you all the basics of fighting and defense, strategy, and everything else you need. I'll even give you some paws-on weapon experience if you want to learn swords or daggers like your brothers." Artorias was always eager and willing to give safe demonstrations to his children—or anyone else for that matter—to help them learn the art of his craft. The world didn't have very many weapon-wielding wolves, after all. "We can begin your training tomorrow if you'd like. I think you've had enough fighting for one day today. Then, when you turn one, if you'd like to intensify your training we can start you down the path of a Knight." There was a catch, though; a caveat as all things came with, and the sire fixed his daughter with a serious stare. "If you choose this path, Bramble, it will be a lifelong commitment. The path of knighthood is one of trial and struggle, but it is also one of great reward and accomplishment. It will not be easy, and it will hurt at times. Once you begin, you never stop walking it. But you will never walk the path alone. You will always have me and your fellow warriors with you. Are you sure this is something you'd be interested in?"

"Carpathius Family"

One big happy family

Bramble

The Hallows
Envoy

Master Fighter (400)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
player
Bunni

Samhain 2022
05-23-2023, 02:17 PM

The young pup listened intently to her father. Disappointing him or her mother or anyone of the Hallows was the last thing she ever wanted. So the impending question of whether or not she really wanted to be a Knight made her heart race a little. As much as she wanted to fight and be a valiant Carpathian warrior, she also worried she would not be good enough. When she saw her brothers or Mercury or her aunt Tika practicing, they always appeared so composed and focused. Focus was one thing Bramble really needed to work on…

She thought about his question. Her smile faltered and appeared slightly unsure. “Well, how about… I get some lessons first! And then maybe I’ll decide for sure later!” Her tail wags as she looks up at him. Bramble tries to appear brave as she hopes he is okay with her answer. “Because maybe, there’s enough Knights, and I might be better at something else! Fighting that bear was really scary and I don’t know if I could really fight one again,” her smile turns sheepish as she lifts a paw to rub her cheek. “I do want to practice though! I don’t always want someone coming to my rescue! I can rescue myself, I promise!” Bramble laughs as she continues to beam up at Artorias. She sure was a headstrong pup.

Bramble Carpathius

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

06-26-2023, 08:15 PM

Artorias saw the enthusiastic smile on Bramble's face falter slightly, the elder wolf raising a brow in surprise and intrigue. He hadn't expected his words to give his daughter pause, yet they had done exactly that. What was going on in her head that was giving her doubts? Fortunately, Artorias wouldn't have to wait long for Bramble to reveal that answer to him. It seemed she was unsure if this was the path she wanted to commit herself to. That hesitance actually reassured the Aegis and made him all the prouder of his child. She was showing restraint, consideration, all things he didn't expect a pup to understand much about. But Bramble apparently did. She suggested that she get some lessons first, get a feel for fighting and the path of the Knight before making her decision. Art fixed Bramble with a warm smile and nodded his head. "We can definitely arrange for lessons for you, and we can bring you into some group spars as well. Get your paws wet, so to speak." He chuckled a little at his own analogy, given that he was talking to his little swimmer of the litter.

But something Bramble said caught him by surprise, and Artorias' eyes widened and blinked as he considered Bramble's demeanor and words. His expression softened, fire opal eyes holding his daughter's cool turquoises as he moved closer to rest a giant paw on her back, making sure she was looking up at him, paying full attention to what he was about to tell her. "There is never too many of anything to permit you to live your dreams, Bramble. If you want to be a Knight, you can become a Knight," he explained. "Being a Knight and showing bravery isn't about being unafraid. Being brave means standing up for others and doing what's right in spite of being afraid. Even the mightiest warriors are afraid of something. Never be embarrassed by your feelings, Brammy." The corners of the Aegis' lips curled up into a humored smirk as he added, "But we're still definitely going to make sure we train you to be able to look after yourself—and your brothers too. Those boys find trouble like flies find honey!"

"Carpathius Family"

One big happy family

Bramble

The Hallows
Envoy

Master Fighter (400)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
player
Bunni

Samhain 2022
06-27-2023, 09:04 AM

The weight of Artorias’ paw upon her back is sure and comforting. Her cool turquoise gaze meets his fiery opal eyes. There is something in that look that causes Bramble to love her father even more. How he gives her confidence, ensures that she can do whatever she wants and be whoever she wished to be helped blossom the future self she would eventually become. His nurturing behavior helps Bramble feel better. Her faltering smile strengthens as she leans into her father’s touch. With her gaze locked onto his, she barely blinks as he speaks to her. His tone isn’t stern, but firm enough that she understands exactly what he is telling her.

A small giggle leaves her as her father mentions how much trouble her brothers get into. “Sometimes I think they come by it naturally!” Bramble jokes as she reaches to embrace her father in a quick hug. “Thank you for being my dad,” she says softly before leaning away to look back up at him. “When can we start more training?! I’m not tired, I promise!” Her tail wags softly though she yawns and lifts a paw to rub at her eyes. Fighting a bear had definitely been a lot of work.

Bramble Carpathius

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

07-02-2023, 02:36 PM

Unbeknownst to her, Bramble's words struck straight through to Artorias' heart. The greatest regret the Aegis had in his life was that he had never known his father, never gotten a chance to know the other part of where he had come from. He would never minimize or disregard Resin's involvement in his upbringing, but there would forever be a question mark marring his past, questions he would never get the answers to. When he decided he wanted to be a father, he had made the solemn vow that his pups would never know that uncertainty that he had been plagued with. Now, hearing Bramble thank him for being her dad as she hugged him, it was enough to bring tears to the corners of her sire's fiery amber eyes. His heart swelled in his chest and his throat tightened with the emotion threatening to overcome him. Bramble had just given him the greatest compliment he could have ever received.

Smiling while trying to blink back those happy tears from the edges of his eyes, Art didn't hesitate to embrace his daughter back, content to just let this moment exist forever. "It's my greatest honor to be your dad, Brammie," he replied in equally soft tones. Shoot, now he'd have to end their conversation soon before he had to explain to Bramble why she had made her old man cry! Thankfully, the pup was beginning to show signs of sleepiness even as she asked when their training could begin. Artorias chuckled and shook his head at his indomitable little girl; she was unbelievable sometimes! "We can start your training tomorrow if you'd like. But for now, I think one bout of fighting with an angry bear is enough for today." He craned his neck down to gently nudge her towards the castle with his snout. "Come on, little warrior princess. It's time to rest." Training could always come tomorrow. Tonight, she needed to rest up, and he needed to go have a good cry as his deepest hopes and dreams had been realized.

"Carpathius Family"

One big happy family