An icon representing the specialty Cooperative Cooperative

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Snake EyesThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 1Double MasterIce Bridge ExplorerMammoth Hunter
Pride - Gay1K
08-20-2023, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2023, 02:46 PM by Úlfr. Edited 1 time in total.)

A thin haze of clouds stretched across the sky, casting a dull light on the mountain tops below. Úlfr wasted no time in getting his honey stores ready to be made into mead. While he could ferment it for a week or so he preferred the finer taste that came from a month, or even a season, of fermentation. That meant getting started now if he wanted it ready for the yuletide.

Glámr and Galinn had worked hard for the honey and both were eager for the taste of mead. They had assisted in the gathering of firewood while Úlfr gathered stones to prop up the metal vessel they'd use for making the brew. With everything set it was now time to get started. The ravens set about adding a gallon of honey while Úlfr started making trips to a nearby creek with his water skin to get the proper amount of water. It would take a few trips but with the fine mountain air and the crispness of fall he didn't mind at all. He hummed a nordic tune learned from his mothers and set about at his task.

Tenshi

"One With the Mountains"

Somnium

Master Fighter (420)

Master Healer (280)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fitness Coach Fitness Coach

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
player
ghostliem

Critical Fail!1KDouble MasterCritical Attack!OverachieverSnake Eyes
09-04-2023, 03:37 PM

Tenshi would make an effort. Though her name did not come from that of a Viking, she would try her best to fit in. To learn their culture, their language, and their way of life. A big part of that was family. Including everyone and considering everyone a brother or sister. It was very similar to her home back in Nihon, up in the far mountains. Every time she thought about it, her heart ached, but she pushed it aside. Heidinn was her home now. These wolves were her family now. She had to try her best.

Making her way across the slope, she smelled a hint of honey. That sweet tinge and the sound of paws traveling over crisp leaves caught her interest. Surely whoever it was wouldn't mind some company. Changing her path, Tenshi approached Ulfr with a small smile and soft expression. Though she had not officially met the man, Vidarr had told her enough that she felt at ease coming toward him.

"Ulfr, what is it that you are making?" She questions, her tones shifting between a Japanese and more Viking accent. Stepping to his side, she followed him so that he did not have to stop what he was doing. "Would you like assistance?" Tenshi's piercing gaze softens and seems to sparkle with interest as she continues to follow him.

Úlfr

Hemlock
Stalker

Master Hunter (245)

Master Fighter (280)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Snake EyesThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 1Double MasterIce Bridge ExplorerMammoth Hunter
Pride - Gay1K
09-11-2023, 07:45 PM

Úlfr filled the pot with water and set about looking for a good stick while he waited for it to warm. Galinn sat perched in a nearby bush, a satchel of honey comb grasped in his talons as he eagerly waited to add it. Glámr was still off collecting his. Úlfr placed a paw upon a good sized stick about four feet long but paused as he heard someone approach. It was the horned woman, wife of the alpha. He wracked his brain for a moment. "Hello… Tenshi, yes? I am making mead, it is a honey wine. A fine drink! I hope to have some ready for the yuletide festivities."

The flutter of wings caught his attention and he saw his other raven, Glámr, land in the bush with his harvest of honey. Úlfr nodded to the birds who flew over the pot and added their gatherings into the warming water. "Yes, I would not be opposed to help. Can you stir the mixture in the pot with this stick on occasion. I will grab a strainer to clear off the scum that rises to the top." He started digging around in his travois, pulling off assorted leather goods and half finished projects before grabbing part of a moose antler that had been imbued with small holes.

Tenshi

"One With the Mountains"

Somnium

Master Fighter (420)

Master Healer (280)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
player
ghostliem

09-12-2023, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2023, 07:56 AM by Tenshi. Edited 1 time in total.)

Tenshi's expression warms as Ulfr welcomes her to join. Her eyes move to the companions as they flutter and move about, assisting in this honey wine he is making. It sounds delicious, almost like the honey tea she used to drink back home. "I too have my companions if you need extra help," she suggests as she moves forward to grab the four-foot-long stick that he has offered to her. Along the way, she motions with her head to her pair of snow leopards to come out of hiding and join the group of animals.

Moving toward the large pot, she places the stick in and gives it a few swirls as she adjusts to the maneuver of handling the stick. Leaning the stick against the edge of the pot, she looks over to Ulfr with a question. "How long does this mead take to brew?" She questions earnestly. Her own homeland was not one for drinking so their typical drinks included warm broths and medicated teas.

Úlfr

Hemlock
Stalker

Master Hunter (245)

Master Fighter (280)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Pride - Gay1K
09-23-2023, 07:02 PM

Úlfr nodded in greeting to the snow leopards that arrived. "If they like they can start removing coals and sticks from the base of the fire." While Tenshi stirred Úlfr began to skim the waxy and foamy debris from the surface. Residue from the honey they did not want in the mead. While the wolves did this the ravens took various bones and used them to knock coals and sticks away from the base of the cauldron. Galinn picked up a few bones and dropped them near the snow leopards for the cats to use.

Úlfr set the antler aside. "Not long, we want to let the heat hover around body temperature. I'll add in the ale and then we'll cover it and let it sit for 3 days and nights. After that my companions and I will pour it into a ceramic vessel for fermentation and let it sit for the rest of the autumn season." He let his paw hover above the surface of the cauldron for a moment, testing the temperature. When he was satisfied he called the ravens over with the ale skins. The birds carefully poured in the ale and Úlfr gestured to Tenshi. "Go ahead and stir, once combined it is ready to steep. What sorts of drinks did you make in your home country? Anything special for a mid-winter festival?"

Tenshi

"One With the Mountains"

Somnium

Master Fighter (420)

Master Healer (280)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
player
ghostliem

10-17-2023, 08:10 AM

Tenshi's gaze moves to the leopards who nod in understanding. They move expertly and consciously around Ulfr and his companions to pick up their respective bones to start scooting coals and sticks out of the crackling fire. "I'm glad we can be of assistance," she muses as she continues to stir the pot for him. Careful to not splash any of the liquid out of the large pot, her eyes lift up to Ulfr as he sets aside the antler and speaks. How he knew exactly what to do was amazing to her though it was similar to how she brewed her tea and made winter strews. Watching him, she nods as he motions for her to keep stirring until combined.

"There is a rice wine called Sake that is made during the winter and is made very similarly to your mead. We often don't have winter festivals. More of a gathering to eat and reminisce over the year. Our festivals come during the new year and summer," she smiles as the memories begin to flood her. Ah, she did miss home, but the mountain was a similar environment to what she was raised in so it helped. "I do enjoy brewing tea though," Tenshi finishes combining the liquid and then takes the stick out to place on the ground beside her.

"Speech"

Úlfr

Hemlock
Stalker

Master Hunter (245)

Master Fighter (280)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Pride - Gay1K
10-21-2023, 03:47 PM

Úlfr pulled a hide-bundled package off his travois, unwrapping a thin wooden cover for the vessel. As he worked he listened to Tenshi speak of a rice wine. He was unfamiliar with it but always curious to try new drinks. "It has my interest. Should you know how to make it I would always be happy to help." As Tenshi moved her stick, Úlfr heaved the cover up and over the vessel. Taking a paw he patted it gently. "Now we must let it ferment for a few days. I'll take care of the next steps myself at the appropriate time. Thank you for your help, I do appreciate it." With their efforts they'd have a fine mead ready for the yuletide festivities. Though, he supposed he should check that Vidarr did celebrate such a festival. His mother's did but as Úlfr had learned on his journey there were many different traditions in the northern tribes.

Thread Move Log
Thread Forum From To
1. Merry Mead Making Fenrir's Maw 10:43 AM, 08-20-2023 11:49 PM, 11-07-2023