An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
08-23-2023, 12:08 AM

Mercury moved through the motions of his patrols, and felt that his routine had started to become repetitive. He started to feel an itch for a change, and reflected on the thought as his paws took him through the well worn paths at the borders. He knew he didn’t want to leave the Hallows. This place had become everything he wanted in a home. He belonged here. So what sort of change did he wish to look for?

He knew after a moment that the answer wasn’t hard to find. He wanted to once again try for the chance to prove himself. To show Art what he could do for the Hallows. To move up in the ranks, and become even more vital to his beloved Aegis. With that on his mind, he waited until his patrols were finished before seeking out the Hollows leader.

He padded through the Castle in search of a scent, and a fresh trail led him towards the armoury. He opened the door, and his eyes fell on the familiar form of the wolf who had quickly become one of his closest friends. “Hello, Art, do you have a moment?”

"Speech"

[Image: dg62nk4-76f92f5f-869b-474b-8882-b89098d6...nlMae_v5_o]

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
08-25-2023, 03:12 PM

A grim concern had lingered in Artorias' mind for some time now. It had been quite a while since his sister Avantika had been seen around the Hallows, and while it wasn't uncommon for her to go out to have her own adventures or do some solo training, the absence of his Commander was a sorely missed one that all the pack felt. Initial searches of the nearby area had, expectedly, turned up nothing. She'd been gone for too long for even a trace of a scent to be found. Tika's disappearance did worry the overly protective Carpathian, but he knew there was little to nothing for them to do about it. He would just have to trust that Tika was able to fend for herself and she'd have a good explanation whenever she did come back to them—if she ever came back to them...

To help keep his mind from dwelling on his missing sister, Artorias lost himself in the wonderfully repetitive work of maintaining the equipment in the armory. Leather armor had been oiled, metal plates polished and shined, and blades honed and sharpened to deadly efficacy. He hadn't expected to have any company in the quiet of the armory, so it came as a bit of a surprise when the doors opened and in walked one of his closest friends. Art smiled at Mercury and greeted his Vanguard with a nod of his head and a wag of his tail, currently in the process of wiping down his dagger. Merc asked if he had a moment. "Of course I do. In fact, I'll even spare two moments for you," he teased his friend with a playful grin. Art ran a paw pad carefully down the flat edge of his dagger, testing the smoothness of the blade's edge. "What's on your mind, Merc?"

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Carpathian"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

Master Intellectual (240)

An icon representing the specialty Weaponsmaster Weaponsmaster

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
08-25-2023, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2023, 03:27 PM by Mercury. Edited 1 time in total.)

After sighting Art, he took a few more steps forward and let his sharp eyes roam through the room. He took note of the space, and what the Aegi’s was doing. Stepping up, he grabbed from a side Aegi’s hadn’t started on yet, and grabbed down a few pieces for him to work on. Immediately, he began to clean and check the sharpness of the weapons. He liked to work while he spoke, so it was a win-win in his book.

Settling comfortably near the Aegis’ with his own work, he put his thoughts to words. “I would like to talk to you about progression in the Hallows, and what opportunities there might be for me to step up” He explained, glancing over his work to meet Art’s eyes. He could make a statement about being a hard worker, and his care for the pack. But Art already knew how much he loved the Hallows. He had also noticed Tika’s absence, and he didn’t know what the circumstances were there. A budding friendship had begun between the two, and her absence was felt. Regardless, he didn’t intend to go gunning for Art’s sister rank without knowing what was going on with the woman. Instead, he would let Art guide him to the best way for Mercury to rise in a way that benefited the pack.

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
08-26-2023, 09:04 PM

Mercury joined him at the workbench and began to assist in sharpening and polishing the weapons Artorias had laid out. There wasn't much left to do, but Art appreciated the help all the same. These were the standard weapons in the armory, of course; there were still too few wolves he trusted to handle maintaining the Carpathian steel ones locked up in the vault. Though perhaps Mercury would be able to help him with them soon as the male grew more familiar with his own blade. While they worked, Merc brought up his desire to continue progressing up in the ranks of the Hallows. This had been a conversation he and the midnight-blue wolf had shared before, but it had been some time since then. Mercury had already shown time and time again how invested he was in the Hallows, so it was no question of his commitment or ability. No one could doubt the Ermís wolf's dedication or loyalty. It had only ever been a matter of timing and availability.

Artorias glanced over to meet Mercury's gaze while he spoke, fire orange catching arctic sapphire. There was a sagacious, knowing look in the Aegis' eyes, like he had been expecting this conversation to come. Art ran the oiled cloth down the length of his dagger, making the pristine silver blade shine in the firelight from the forge. "You feel ready to move up in the pack?" It was a rhetorical question. Mercury's ambition was relentless and stalwart—a trait he admired in his Vanguard. Artorias nodded his head, seeming to consider the subject, despite having already had his mind made up on the matter long before. "You have been a faithful and admirable member of the Hallows from the moment you arrived, Merc. Your commitment to your craft and your dedication to the wolves of the pack is undeniable. As a Vanguard, you have kept my family safe and shown exceptional abilities in training my little ones. It does make me wonder how you'd do being responsible for all the pack's combat skills and training."

Sliding the dagger back into its sheath beneath his leather bracer, Artorias turned to look at Mercury, pausing his work for a moment. "I know you're aware that there can be only one Commander in the Hallows, and that rank is currently occupied by Tika," he began, rapping his claws against the wooden surface of the workbench in thought. "Ordinarily, you would need to challenge her and beat her in combat to prove your skills..." A pause for dramatic effect from the Aegis as he considered his options—or pretended to. He knew what he wanted to do already. "...But my sister has been missing for some time. As far as I'm concerned, she's abandoned her duties as Commander and left the role vacant. So if you want it, then it's yours, my friend. You've proven yourself tenfold to me and it'd be my pleasure to see you do what you do now to greater effect." A lopsided smile touched Artorias' face as he read Mercury's expression, eager to see his friend's reaction to the offer placed before him.

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
08-28-2023, 05:03 PM
His expression was both hopeful and sad. He knew what he wanted, but he wished he wasn't taking it over the disappearance of a wolf that mattered to his Aegis. "I'm sorry about Tika. I will keep an ear out for any news of your sister." He promised Art, and he meant it. If she came back and challenged for the rank, he would accept her challenge gladly. "I called her friend, and I hope she's okay." But the position was there, and no one else had stepped up to claim it. Art offered it to him, and he wanted to make his friend proud. "But I accept the position, and gladly. I want to do the best I can by you and yours, Art. You are the Hollows, and it's you I wish to follow." His loyalty to the blue wolf was absolute. 

He dipped his head respectfully to the Aegis. His mind was already churning. Art had spoken of him training the rest of the pack, and he intended to do exactly that. He would need to find ways to encourage them.

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

08-30-2023, 02:38 AM

Artorias appreciated the humility that Mercury accepted his offer with. He knew the man would have preferred to have earned the rank the traditional way, with a test of his own skills and strength, but Avantika’s extended absence and total disappearance had left them with little other choice. The Hallows needed a Commander. The Aegis needed his Commander. When he had entrusted this rank and responsibilities to Tika, he had held out hope that this would be what his sister needed to get her head on straight, but instead it had appeared to do the exact opposite. Now she was gone, and as much as it pained him, Artorias knew that trying to search for her by this point would be a fool’s errand. Tika would have to return to them on her own merit at her own time—if she ever returned at all…

The azure and onyx wolf nodded his head in thanks to his dark-coated friend. "Thank you, Mercury. I also hope she’ll come back one day." The dour tone in his voice betrayed his lack of hope of that outcome ever happening. Artorias had suffered far too much loss in his life to still hold onto fleeting unrealistic hopes. Mercury accepted his offer and just like that, he had become the Hallows’ new Commander. But something at the end of his friend’s words made him pause, giving a shake of his head. "We are the Hallows, Merc. All of us make this place a home, make us a family. No one wolf is more important than any other," he gently corrected his friend. One thing Artorias had always made sure to emphasize was that even if he was alpha, the Aegis, or called "king" by others, he did not see himself as above anyone. He was their arbiter, but he was no king or deity.

The changing of the guard was accepted, but Artorias felt as if he was robbing Mercury of a bit of the fanfare he deserved. Had he won a challenge against Avantika, he would have had a cheering crowd and the thrill of victory surging through his veins. So instead, Art turned towards the other male and drew Embershard from its scabbard on the table. "Bow your head, Mercury," he instructed his former Vanguard, waiting until he did so before tapping the flat side of his blade to Mercury’s shoulders. "In light of no challengers to face, I, Artorias Carpathius, Aegis of the Hallows, head of the Carpathius family, and Lord of Cinder, henceforth name you Commander of the Hallows and entrust you with all its powers, privileges, and responsibilities." Drawing his blade back, Art set Embershard down on the workbench, turning to Merc with a proud smile. "Rise, Commander Mercury."

One big happy family

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
09-12-2023, 03:52 PM

He didn’t disagree with his Aegis, but he knew where his loyalties lay. His vow was to Artorias, and upholding it meant honouring the pack - which he did with love and respect. But at the end of the day, if for some reason Artorias walked away from this pack, and he asked Mercury to follow, he would do so. No doubt, no hesitation. Of course, the chances of that happening were close enough to zero to make no difference. So in the end, it did not matter. He inclined his head to Art and smiled at the man that had so effectively won his loyalty.

When the Aegis drew Embershard and told him to bow his head, he stood formally, and lowered his head with grace. He had been royalty long enough to understand the importance of grandeur. He closed his eyes, and listened to Art’s words, letting them reverberate through them as he felt the touch of cool metal against his fur. He rose when he was commanded, but he dipped his head at Art. “You honour me” he said softly. The change in his rank seemed so sudden, despite having asked for it. He knew he had a lot to do.

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

10-23-2023, 03:30 PM

Mercury was austere and reverent as Artorias ceremoniously promoted his most loyal warrior to the rank befitting his skills and devotion. When the moment was finished, Mercury dipped his head and declared that the Aegis had honored him. With a gentle smirk, Artorias shook his head. "You honor the Hallows, Mercury. With your every action, you make our home a better place than it was without you." Though it was a compliment, there was honesty in the Carpathian brute’s words. They were not frivolous flattering for the sake of making one feel good. Mercury had truly earned everything he was given and then some. "Go make whatever preparations you need for your transition into your new rank. I look forward to seeing what you accomplish in your new station." Most notably, he was looking forward to seeing how the new Commander trained his young children into honed warriors alongside him.

One big happy family

Thread Move Log
Thread Forum From To
1. The past guides us Amron's Castle 12:08 AM, 08-23-2023 05:47 AM, 12-05-2023