Extra large
build
Light
player
Lazuli

The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3WinnerDouble MasterLegendaryFamous
1KVolcanoDream WeaverTrick 2019
12-20-2015, 03:11 AM
His kids were making him feel old. Soon enough his older ones would be turning two. Two. It had been two years since their birth. How was that possible? How could he possibly be so old so soon? It felt like just yesterday that he'd turned two himself so how could he possibly be the father of three almost grown children? Already they could hold high ranks or even start or challenge for their own packs. Already - sub adults as they were - they could do so much. With this terrifying thought came another: his children could have children. He could be a grandfather.

The thought chilled him. That was not something he was prepared for. At all. Just thinking about his kids having kids or what it took to have kids made him want to lock them up somewhere safe. Old, old, OLD; he felt old. Even if he blocked out all of his older kids and what all their impending adulthood might entail he still had three young ones who were growing up way too fast. They grew like weeds and it felt like every day somehow managed to add an inch or two to their height.

Old. He was old. Pretty soon he'd start turning grey (grey...er?) and begin complaining about how much the weather hurt his bones.

With a harrumph Valentine flopped down beside his tractor.

NOTE: Valentine has a female striped skunk companion named Lefty. Unless stated otherwise assume she's present.

Birna I

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
12-20-2015, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2015, 10:03 AM by Birna I.)

Contentment was a foreign feeling to Birna.  There were always new threats, new obstacles, work to be done yet here she was laying stretched in a light dusting of snow outside her den.  Her patrol shift had ended along with the stretch of battle-lust that had driven her to the battlefield.  Her limbs were healing slowly though the wound upon her right shoulder was still nasty looking, oozing and sore.  Delicately she reached out to lick at the injury.  It was bound to scar but Vana had done a marvelous job with it.  To think the girl was growing so swiftly…  and not just her, Rhys and Rhyme were both growing quickly and Rhythm's youngest son had already asked her about battle training.  Birna had yet to follow through on his request.  Silly as it may seem she was nervous about the prospect of training pups.  She didn't really have a clue how to go about it but if Valen wanted her to try she would.  Of course she planned to ask if had any training plans already.  It wouldn't do to interrupt those.

Birna got to her feet and shook the frost from her pelt.  She may as well go ask him while she had a break.  She planned to take up the first evening shift though she was aware she might have to find someone to cover her shift as she flinched, her right forelimb wavering just a bit.  Well…. she knew what stunt she wasn't going to try again.

Birna found the king laying next to one of the large, rusted creatures that she eyed carefully after her adventure with Rhys. "Good morning, Rex.  Have you a moment?  I was wondering if I might speak with you."

"Talk" "You" Think
[Image: 262ny8g.png]

Valentine

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player
Lazuli

12-29-2015, 07:28 PM
The blessed arrival of Birna broke his woebegone musings. As he lifted his head Valentine sought out Birna's gaze. He dipped his head in greeting. "Good morning, Birna." A moment, eh? Yeah, he had a few of those to spare. The King sat up with a stretch and then flopped his tail over his paws. Sure thing, Birna. What's on your mind? He regarded her curiously; he had no idea what might be on her mind. Really, he hoped nothing was up and that all was well with her. She didn't seem upset or ruffled by anything, so he hoped it was good news.

NOTE: Valentine has a female striped skunk companion named Lefty. Unless stated otherwise assume she's present.

Birna I

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
01-01-2016, 02:24 PM

Valentine would greet her as she settled herself on her haunches, gazing out at the horizon for a moment before turning back to him as he asked what was on her mind.  Where to start. "A few things.  I was wondering what your plans were regarding training for your youngest three and… actually of most of the packs warriors.  I'd like to assist if I can though I admit in regards to the youngest I'm uncertain of the best approach.  I've never trained wolves that young let alone anyone other than myself.  However, I'd like to see the warriors of Imperium continue to excel and perhaps train together more frequently."   The warriors of Imperium were already highly skilled, of that she had no doubt, though it seemed most had a tendency to train on their own and she was no exception.  She'd spent most of her time wandering the battlefields rather than calling on her own packmates and in retrospect she was rather ashamed of the fact.  There was a distinct competitiveness in the wolves here which could be useful but there was also divisiveness.  She hoped to bridge some of that and help bring the warriors together into a cohesive fighting force.

"Talk" "You" Think

Valentine

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player
Lazuli

01-08-2016, 11:54 PM
Valentine regarded Birna curiously as she spoke of his youngest three. What did she know of them? With the kids confined to the packlands it didn't really surprise him that they'd made their rounds, although he was a little surprised that Birna seemed so comfortable with them. They made a habit of disappearing often, but was it really that often? Geez, he wasn't doing as good a job as he'd thought. At least they seemed to gravitate towards packmates and not rogues...although it was entirely possible they just hadn't discovered the latter yet.

His not so little ones were rocketing towards adulthood with alarming speed. Sure, they were only a few seasons old, but Valentine could have sworn they were born just the other day. Rocketing indeed. Soon enough they'd be yearlings and not long after that they'd be adults. He and their mothers were doing their best to prepare them for adulthood and that including learning to defend themselves and their beliefs. "They've been learning since they learned how to walk. All three have been doing well in their training; they've got their defenses down pat-" he shrugged and smiled slightly "- well, almost down pat, and we're working on basics attacks."

Valentine shrugged again and shifted his weight before continuing. "As for teaching them...they're pretty smart. Their mothers and I just keep the lessons short and interesting. They pick it up pretty fast, the collective attention span is just really, really short." Rhys in particular was hard to keep hold of. She had the capacity to sit and listen, she just chose not to. The moment her interest waned she was off like a shot. "Are you wanting to take on a mentorship?"

Birna also spoke of the rest of the warriors and Valentine nodded. He was glad to hear of Birna's interest in training with her packmates. "As a Legionary you are welcome to call training sessions as often as you wish."

Birna I

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
01-15-2016, 05:52 PM

A breeze picked up carrying with it a myriad of scents and the promise of spring right around the corner. Thinking of Valen's young almost inevitably took her back to thinking about her own childhood. Birna felt a sudden aching to see her brother again. How many seasons would pass before she saw him again, if she ever saw him again? Part almost wanted to ask if she could take her leave to find him but she knew that was incredibly foolish and so she'd put the idea aside. She was needed here in Imperium for one thing, she had no idea where her brother was for another and lastly so what if she saw him? It was unlikely he'd return with her and she'd find herself leaving once again with a bruised heart.

Valen's words would pull her out of her thoughts and she'd nod with a soft smile on her face. "I shall have to witness their skills some time. I admit I'm growing rather fond of them, I often wonder how they're doing." Was that weird of her to say? She nodded as he spoke of short and interesting lessons. That made sense, keep it brief and to the point perhaps with breaks for play and spending excess energy. Valentine asked her if she was interested in taking on a mentorship and Birna grew still for a moment before nodding. "Yes, I think I am if there is an opening. I want to be of more assistance in developing the youth though if the parents have it covered I don't intend to intrude."

He affirmed that she was welcome to call training sessions at her leisure. "Thank you, I will look into doing so. Has there been any discussion of joint training with another pack? Abaven or perhaps our trade partner, Yfir?" Nothing united a pack like facing a common "enemy". Of course there were numbers to consider as well as what a joint training session might imply for inter-pack relations.

"Talk" "You" Think

Valentine

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player
Lazuli

01-17-2016, 06:17 PM
Valentine snuck a sideways glance at Birna as she spoke about his kids. They'd made an impression, hadn't they?  Knowing that such an admirable warrior had noticed his kids made him proud, prouder still when she confirmed her interest in mentoring them. Well, the wording suggested she was interested in mentoring the other kids too, but he could pretend his kids were the center of the universe, right? "The lessons they learn from their parents are of course very important," he began, "But formal training is just as important. I'll leave the finer details up to you - take on as many or as few as you are comfortable with. Group lessons, one on one training, however you want to do it, do it." He trusted her judgement.

"Has there been any discussion of joint training with another pack? Abaven or perhaps our trade partner, Yfir?" He trusted the Yfir alpha about as far as he could throw her. While Katja was admirable and without a doubt worthy of his respect, their packs were nowhere near friendly enough for joint training and he didn't wish to divulge any of Imperium's secrets with that particular pack. "Bass, Abaven's alpha, and I have discussed it, yes, although the idea has yet to get off the ground."

Birna I

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
01-22-2016, 09:09 PM

Birna dipped her head. "Thank you, Rex. I will give more thought to this. I think a group session of the youngest might be beneficial and if one shows particular interest in fighting or is struggling perhaps I can tutor them privately." She let the thoughts run through her head. This was one possibility but ultimately she wished to ponder it more before coming to a concrete decision. She also wanted to be more sure that she was ready to actually train pups. They were… daunting, to say the least. The energy, the bluntness, the naivety. It would be a challenge for sure.

It seemed the potential of joint training had been discussed with Abaven but hadn't gotten off the ground. Birna would nod. "It was just a thought. Something that might encourage our members to pull cohesively together though Abaven is not quite as geared toward battle as we are so how much benefit we could get from it will have to be determined. Let me know if you and Bass decide to go through with it. I would love to be of assistance."

Birna rolled her shoulders in an easy stretch as she got to her feet. "That is really all I wished to discuss." The bear woman lingered for a moment. It had been a good conversation and she couldn't help but wonder if there was more to talk about but she'd received the answers to her questions. "Is there anything you wish to ask of me before I depart for the next round of patrols?" Business… always business. Birna found herself dimly thinking back to the excursion with Valen and Cascade into Sonticus territory awhile back.

"Talk" "You" Think

Valentine

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player
Lazuli

01-23-2016, 07:00 PM
He was very pleased to listen to Birna's musings and he really did hope she decided to go through with it. She would make a wonderful teacher, he was sure of it. And maybe, just maybe, she could capture and keep the attention of his little ones. It would be no small feat, but if anyone was capable of it it would be Birna. "I agree and I have no doubt that they would learn much with you as their teacher."

" Let me know if you and Bass decide to go through with it. I would love to be of assistance." He nodded approvingly. Perhaps if he were a touch less tight-fisted he'd have put her in charge of the whole thing - he had a feeling she would do well in a diplomatic setting - but as it was, he was, so he'd have to think of another role for her to play. Perhaps she would do well as a captain. "I certainly will."

"Is there anything you wish to ask of me before I depart for the next round of patrols?" Valentine was quiet for a moment. No, not really. She'd approached him, not the other way around so he was a bit unprepared. "I can't think of anything business related." He paused thoughtfully. "How is Imperium treating you, Birna?"

Birna I

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
02-01-2016, 08:08 PM

Birna decided she might ask the youngest three… four to gather for training first. Or perhaps it would be better to start with two? She was not certain yet she could handle all four without assistance. Though perhaps she could haggle Integra or Atreides into helping out as a part of their own training.

Valentine asked her a simple question but it caused her to pause for a moment longer before sitting back down. It had been so long since she'd engaged in small chat that for a moment she wasn't quite sure how to answer the Rex's question. "Imperium is treating me very well, Valentine. I feel like the packs ideals for the most part align with my own and I feel much more in place here than I did in Fiori or Ludicael. Granted though I do worry about some of the inner tensions in the pack. It is good to see such spirited and passionate members though I can't help but wish there was a bit more cohesion. What of you Valentine? Is Imperium all you have hoped it would be? Does it move in the direction you desire?"

"Talk" "You" Think

Valentine

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player
Lazuli

02-08-2016, 01:00 PM

His question seemed to give Birna pause for a moment. She seated herself again and took her time in answering, and when she finally did Valentine was not disappointed. The Gladiator shared his worries, it seemed. Imperium was strong. No one could deny that. They had numbers and skill, and if that was all that was necessary to be unstoppable than they were golden. But what about unity? Comradeship? Would a solid, united front not make them all the stronger?

Birna then put him to his own question. For a moment Valentine frowned, not out of unhappiness but thoughtfulness. "I feel the same, although I'm not quite sure how to go about uniting them." His gaze darted away for a second as he searched the distance. Valentine's frown deepened as he debated just how truthful to be. "In some ways it has far exceeded my hopes." He hesitated. "In others...I am left perhaps a little disappointed." His disappointment was largely his fault. He wasn't the kind of leader he needed to be and he recognized his shortcomings. "But," he said firmly, "No one is to blame for that disappointment but me. The lack of cohesion is what concerns me. I'm afraid I've put too much emphasis on competing and too little on unity."

Birna I

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
02-13-2016, 05:41 PM

It felt good to share her thoughts and concerns. As was her habit she tended to keep such thoughts to herself. Perhaps now that she shared them she could take action upon them though what that action would be she was uncertain. Birna was not really raised much in a pack, not a close knit one like this. She was raised in the rubble of a fallen regime with none but her siblings, but Bjorn, to give her trust.

She watched the alpha consider her question, his mind turning over her words and she would nod as he mentioned that he was also unsure of how to unite them. "As am I. If I had a decent strategy in mind I would in-act it." Birna would listen quietly as he continued to speak and it was her turn to mull over his words. "Perhaps…" she would say quietly. "Though I think all of us are some what to blame. I know I have not reached out to my fellow members like I should be but I do seek to amend this." Birna stretched lightly. "I best get prepared for my patrol. Thank you Valentine for speaking with me. I appreciate it and I will think more on what we may do to increase the unity of Imperium. If you have ideas you wish to run by me do not hesitate to ask."

-exit?-

"Talk" "You" Think

Valentine

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player
Lazuli

02-21-2016, 08:15 PM

Quietly he listened to Birna's response. Valentine appreciated her shouldering some of the blame even though her words didn't quite change his mind. As the King he was the hub of decision-making. Through him and the management he offered flowed pack activity; raids and meetings, training and mentors, hunts and sport. Sure, he could lift up those capable and willing to rein over those facets of pack life, but he hadn't. No matter which way the situation was examined the blame inevitably rested on him.

Birna stood and stretched, clearly preparing to take her leave again. This time he let her. With a farewell dip of his head, Valentine said simply, "No, thank you. And good day, Birna." He then dropped his head to his forepaws and let his gaze take in the distance. She'd given him plenty to think on.