gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
Tealah
04-11-2016, 01:38 PM
OOC: starting off on the border between Waterfall Peak and Whistling Willows, Katja will bring her down to explore the willows.

She was letting some time pass between calling her individual pups to her, unwilling to spoil one's time alone with her by immediately brushing it aside to spend time with another child. It was therefore some weeks after she'd called Asvor to her that she called for Naudir. Up to this point, none of her children had been deliberately brought out of pack borders - though as pups grew they often snuck illicit adventures so she fully doubted they'd all remained within the borders all the time. Still, it would not be long before they were assigned to mentors and would begin long patrols of their own. It would do them good to learn to travel in strange lands safely - and as much distaste as she had for the soft southern lands, they would eventually be traveling to them to participate in raids with the pack.

To that end she paced to the southern border of the pack, taking a few strides past the scent markers into unprotected territory before she threw up her muzzle to summon Naudir to her. She would bring her daughter with her on a long patrol to one of the lands immediately to the south, to give her a taste of the world outside the north and teach her the art of exploration. She lifted her muzzle into the wind that ran from the south as she waited, noting that the border markers some distance away that should have marked Argead's territory were faded and worn, the signs of a pack that had recently gone away. It would be a good start to Naudir's lessons.

""

Naudir

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
04-23-2016, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2016, 02:41 PM by Naudir.)
Navigation - Whistling Willows

Naudir pranced and skittered through the dappled sunlight that barely managed to make it’s way down to the forest floor through the massive trees.  Branwen was hopping in front of her, taking flight just as she’d pounce!  No fair!  She had no idea where Balthazaar was in all this, probably off grousing about.  Just as she missed Branwen once again she heard her mother’s call.  Little ears stood up and flicked toward the sound as she got to her feet and raced to answer, tail practically wagging as she saw her mother.  “Hallo Mor!”

She raced up to Katja, leaping up just a bit to try and nuzzle the older woman. Hva skal vi gjøre i dag?

"Speech"

Katja the First

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
Tealah
04-25-2016, 04:40 PM
Naudir was quick to respond to her summons, and Katja returned the youth's affection by pressing her dark cheek against her daughter's own. "Naudir, min datter," she murmured, pleased by the child's enthusiasm. "Today it is in my mind that I will take you with me on a long patrol, far past the borders. It will be good for you to learn to navigate in unfamiliar lands and to build your endurance, for one day soon you will have a mentor of your own to accompany on patrols." She tilted her head to the side to eye Naudir with a sort of stern amusement. "Is that a lesson to your liking, my daughter?"

Naudir

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
05-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Naudir drank in her mother’s scent and sat, her tail wagging as she gazed at her mother. She shifted on her paws, excitement bubbling in her stomach as Katja mentioned that she could go with her mother on a longer patrol past the borders. She stood up quickly. “Yes! It is very much to my liking!” Naudir had been wishing to travel farther outside the borders for some time but she had been nervous to take those first few steps. With her mother nearby she felt like she could explore freely. Her nostrils flared as she took in the scent of the willows. “What is this place called mother? Are there any prey that dwell here?”

Katja the First

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
Tealah
05-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Naudir's enthusiasm for the question was certainly a credit to the young wolf. All of Katja's children had been remarkably apt towards learning thus far, and Katja was greatly pleased with their aptitudes. "I have heard it called the whistling willows," she answered Naudir's question, though she momentarily set aside the second question in favor of one of her own. It was good to be aware of the various creatures that might be found in each land, but there were other considerations before they even set paw upon it. "Before we step further into these lands, tell me: will we be trespassing, and why?" She cocked her head to the side, gaze intent on her daughter though she kept her ears constantly moving that she might stay aware of dangers.

Naudir

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
05-19-2016, 06:14 PM

Whistling willows? Naudir paused for a moment and listened to the wind as it whispered through the trees. She wouldn’t really call it whistling though perhaps the wind picked up in the warmer seasons? She watched the leaves sway gently back and forth, her own body rocking a little as she watched with a soft smile on her face. It was pretty here! She listened quietly to her mother as she asked if they were trespassing. Oh! She forgot to check! Naudir gently dipped her head, nostrils flaring as she took a few steps hunting for the scent of other wolves. Grinning she looked up at her mother. “No, I don’t smell any border markings so it should be ok right?”

"Speech"

Katja the First

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
Tealah
05-30-2016, 06:23 PM
She nodded approvingly as Naudir corrected herself and set to sniffing for border markers. "Not long ago this was the territory of a pack called Argead. Their scent has all but dispersed now. There is no sign of illness or death here, so it is likely that they simply chose to leave. Prey scent is still abundant and unwary, so they did not leave due to lack of food either." With the lack of border markers established, she stepped into the territory. Peaceful willows swayed gently with their soft tinkle of leaves, and she now chose to answer Naudir's earlier question. "Willows can shelter many types of prey, from ordinary rabbits and squirrels to elk and moose. They grow best near water, so you know there will be some found here in some form if you know how to look. Perhaps you can find it, dottir?"

Naudir

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
06-23-2016, 07:46 PM

Naudir focused on each word her mother said, trying to burn them into her memory. This land used to belong Argead? “Argead…. that is an interesting name. It is not a norse name. What happened to them?” Katja started to explain that there was no signs of illness or battle. Naudir marveled at her mothers mind as the older woman worked through various scenarios, ruling them out as she sleuthed out what had happened to this pack known as Argead. “Was this pack an ally of ours? Perhaps they found a richer land?” That would be surprising though, this land seemed pretty plentiful to her.

The girl scampered around the willow roots, slipping once before catching her balance. She was listening, she really was but her energy dictated that she move as she listened. She knew of rabbits, squirrels and elk. “What are moose, again? Is that a type of a muskrat? “

Her brow furrowed as she tried to figure out what her mother was asking her. Oh! Katja wanted her to find water! She frowned, uncertain where to start. She started heading south, ears alert and listening for the sound of the water but she wasn’t picking up anything distinctive. She paused and sat down, her eyes closing as she tried to catch the scent of the water but doubt filled her senses instead. She felt her stomach tighten. She wanted to make Katja proud but she wasn’t sure if she was doing this right. Just as the anxiety started to raise she caught the croaking of frogs and scrambled to her feet and started to follow the sound.

"Speech"

Katja the First

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
Tealah
07-11-2016, 06:58 PM
"Not an ally so much as a pack of interest," she observed to her daughter, watching as she explored. "They were a pack of scholars interested in all subjects, including war, and so they were of interest to me. It seemed they were not to be, however."

Her daughters question brought a rumble of amusement. "Moose are much larger than muskrat. Larger than deer and even elk, though similar. Large noses with wide flat antlers that make them very distinctive, and foul tempers as well. They are not a prey to be hunted alone, and preferably with at least one hunter experienced with their ways."

Naudir seemed at a loss for a moment as she sought water, but Katja made no move to help her. She would figure it out on her own or she would ask for help, it was up to her without interference. When the girl worked it out, suddenly following the sound of frogs, Katja hid a proud expression and followed more sedately.

Naudir

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
07-23-2016, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2016, 01:17 PM by Naudir.)

A pack of scholars?  She listened quietly as her mother spoke of this ‘pack of interest’.  Knowledge keepers, how fascinating!  Naudir frowned.  It was a shame they were no longer here though, she had so many questions she’d have loved to ask them. “I wonder why they decided to leave…”  It was both statement and question, her own little mind trying to find an answer but she just couldn’t be sure.  She’d settle on her theory that they’d found a more bountiful land for now.

She glanced up as her mother chuckled and her eyes widened.  Moose were that big!  “Wow… I would love to see one some day.”  She nodded as her mother stated that they were not to be hunted alone.  “Have you ever eaten moose mother?”

Navigating through the trees Naudir paused a few times, her body still, ears erect and pivoting until once again she picked up the sound of frogs.  Shifting her course she followed the sound until at last they arrived at a decent sized pond.  “I found water!” she chirped happily her tail wagging as she turned to her mother.

"Speech"