Dagmær

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
10-01-2016, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2016, 10:44 AM by Dagmær.)
ooc:  Hello, hello!  This is a hunt for Gathering points for trading as well as skill points.  Our quarry is Mountain Goats which are not currently on the gathering list here:  Gathering however I talked with Tea and they are in the Rare/Difficult category which means that we'll need 7 rounds to qualify for the Gathering points!  Ouch, I know!  Most of the prey that is in Fenrir's Maw will be in this category but I hope to eventually get enough gems to nab the Redbud Nook for some less strenuous hunting in the future ;)

That said, I'll be thinking over my break on ways we can make this hunt more interesting and fun for those involved.  So feel free to send me your suggestions!  What would making hunting threads more fun for you?  pm me your suggestions and I'll see what I can come up with as well. I may see about offering some sort of reward or something for participating, I just have to think on this a bit more, lol.  Due date for this thread is October 12.

EDIT: Actually, maybe we'll just do the 4 rounds unless y'all want to do the 7. I think staff is still working out the Gathering stuff so it's not completely official yet. Sorry for the confusion xD I get excited and jump the gun.

Morning was breaking slowly on the horizon, the light blocked from lower levels by the rocky forms that stretched like steeples into the sky.  Autumn was sweeping quickly into the mountains, the trees shimmering in their brilliant hues.  One last song before they would crumble away into winter's deep sleep.  Dagmær balanced precariously between two large rocks as she eyed the drop below her, tail wagging and twisting before she pushed off safely onto a large boulder. This terrain was difficult to hunt in, there was no mistake.  It was rocky and treacherous though there were a few flatter spots where she could get a good run going.  Karabela was pushing her to start hunting before winter moved in and late autumn would likely bring snow.  

Sniffing the air for a moment Dagmær's eyes narrowed before she scrambled down to a flatter plateau.  There was a small herd of mountain goats that travelled through this area toward one of the many mountain streams.  Taking one of the sure-footed creatures would be a difficult task but it wasn't one she'd shy away from.  Would her packmates join her?  Were they willing to bleed and sweat for a well-earned meal?  Tipping back her head she'd howl for her packmates to join her on this hunt.

Walk, "Talk" Think

Nia

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Arian
10-08-2016, 01:45 PM

Tally had given Nia the signal for a call. Probably for a pack hunt. Which he may not have been able to hear but he had to survive somehow and hunt on his own. Paws carried him over to the one who had called. He wasn't a hunter too much, but to help his pack was something that he enjoyed doing. Well he didn't know he enjoyed it but he sure wanted to try. "She sure is pretty." A voice said in his head, the only things he would ever hear again. "Shut up, she's an ugly broad. Nia can do better than that." another snapped. The two of them, as Nia shook his head he decided this time to ignore them as he smiled lightly to the female.

"Hello there! It's a nice day for a hunt." Tally greeted on the top of Nia's head. She would be fine since she had learned to cling to the back of his neck during hunts. She also made it so she avoided getting hurt. Tally was also well off with communications so there was that. As Nia took a seat he dipped his hear and paid attention more closely.

Karabela

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Medium
player
10-15-2016, 10:14 PM
I SEE ANOTHER MOUNTAIN TO CLIMB BUT I GOT STAMINA

Karabela scrambled up to the ledge as she completed her patrol around the border. Slowly the Chieftan began to work her way back up towards her den now that the borders had been freshly marked. She still had a bit of fall cleaning yet to do. Raba sighed. So much to do and so little time and every day she found herself questioning. As Raba's eyes turned to the north she eyed the Red Forest for a moment, feeling her breath catch in her throat. She had yet to venture deep inside it. She lurked around the border when it was Yfir's territory, when she talked with her aunt Aserlín and walked through the outer south side when scouting out the terra when Yfir's scent faded. Dare she go back?

Karabela cringed suddenly as it suddenly dawned on her what was really, truly eating at her. She'd never visited the grave of her mother or half-brother. Her breath slipped in past her teeth in a sharp gasp. The bear… the blood… visions started to flash before a summoning howl snapped her out of her head. Dagmær?

Raba quickly raced toward the call, limbs pumping furiously as if she could outrun the thoughts the had moments ago threatened to drown her. Panting she arrived to see… a rather disappointing gathering. Well… she supposed the others were still settling in. "Nia, Dagmær, good to see you! What have you found for us niece?"

"Speech"

[Image: qqwoqe.png][Image: karabelas_by_nnightcrawler-dais5gp.png]
[Image: k1dtly.png]
I'll take my throne, lay it on a mountain and make myself a king

Qualm

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
10-22-2016, 02:50 PM

The male had been nervous getting back into the hunting game. However how could he find out that he was okay if he didn't try? Plus climbing these cliffs had to have helped some and the healer didn't want to just sit in his den all day waiting for someone to get hurt. Which sounded worse than he actually thought. Qualm smiled as he approached the small gathering of wolves. Karabela had arrived and there was Nia that deaf wolf along with the one who called the hunt. He couldn't quiet remember her name just yet.

Qualm would walk closer to Karabela as he took a seat beside her. "I know I'm not a hunter but I figured I'd help. Hope it's not too late." he smiled towards the one who had called the hunt. Looking to Karabela and dipping his head out of respect to his alphess. That was something that had to be done right? There was also Nia with his rat, but he was sure his rat would let him know what was going on.

"Talk"

Dagmær

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
10-23-2016, 08:50 AM
ooc: Sorry for the wait guys! Next round due Nov 4. No posting order! I probably won't get back with Raba for awhile as I'll be gone next weekend.

Dagmær shifted from side to side with jittery nerves and stomach-flipping excitement. She wanted so badly to do well on this hunt but her experience was limited when it came to leading others on a hunt. She also had no idea who would show up so it wasn't even worth thinking of a plan in advance though she wondered if her aunt would attend. On one hand Karabela knew the mountains better than anyone but on the other she didn't want the pressure of having to lead a hunt with her aunt standing right there.

Nia was the first to show, the deaf man. Dag felt another pang of nervousness as she wasn't quite sure the best way to communicate with him. His rat Tally spoke for him and greeted the girl but was she supposed to look at the rat or to Nia when replying? Could he read lips? Should she speak slower? "Hello Tally, hello Nia. It is a good day for a hunt." She decided to speak normally, eyes shifting between the pair as she addressed them. She'd keep her sentences short and to the point especially as there was no reason to really tell more until everyone else had gathered.

Karabela arrived next and the nerves just grew. Dagmær took a few deep breaths. She could do this! "Hey aunt Raba! Mountain goats, a whole herd of them!" She waited a bit longer and the last to arrive was Qualm, one of the menders. "Hello Qualm."

She turned to address everyone in equal measure. "Thank you for coming! I uh… well, I found a herd of mountain goats, they're heading for the eastern stream. Down by the stream bed the terrain is still rocky but not nearly as dangerous as higher up in the mountains. I think we should take this opportunity while we have it. Follow me!" Quickly scrambling over the terrain she headed toward where she'd seen the mountain goats go. She'd wait til they arrived before hashing out the hunting plan. After all she had no way to predict the layout of animals. Everything would be shifting by the second.

Walk, "Talk" Think

Karabela

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Medium
player
10-29-2016, 07:38 PM

Karabela gave her niece her undivided attention after an encouraging nod. Dag had found a herd of mountain goats, excellent! Their thick pelts would make fine den linings and hopefully there was enough meat on them to keep the pack full for a few days. It was a shame this drought was making their job so much harder. She was pleased with her nieces reasoning and as the girl took off Karabela scrambled after her, picking her way carefully along the mountain terrain. She was excited for a pack hunt though if allowed she hoped to hang back and watch her members in action, see how they played off each other and interacted. Of course, though, in this terrain with a smaller gathering this was probably not the time for her to be assessing. There would be time for that later when she claimed the steppe.

"Speech"

Qualm

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
11-04-2016, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2016, 02:11 PM by Qualm.)

Mountain goats, that sounded like a heap of trouble. However he had never been in a pack hunt before. Now was a time for him to learn, as as the male smiling nodded his head and followed the woman toward the location of this herd. Trying to let his sheer instinct drive him, but that wouldn't always be a good idea - it could get him hurt if he wasn't too careful. Qualm would stick close by, guessing he would be instructed after they all gathered.

The male would stop as he smiled at the three of them. There was nothing better then the feeling he got from the idea of hunting with all of them. Really he'd never been so involved in a pack before. The healer let the edge of his tail flick as he took in a deep breath and crouched. Hoping that he wouldn't screw this up.

"Talk"

Nia

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Arian
11-04-2016, 02:55 PM

Nia carefully nodded his head as he went to follow the three wolves. Keeping silent as usual when they approached the group of mountain goats. His eyes focused on their current hunting leader so that he could keep an eye on her lips. Tally was clinging to the back of his head, something she had gotten used to since he sometimes did get very mobile. Though at times she went and hid in bushes if he were to get into a fight.

His two different colored eyes would look around for a second. Then back to daeg. He didn't mean to be rude but his way of observing was to read lips. In order to do that he had to keep her in sight at least. The small male was eagerly waiting, with his paws shifting on the harsh terrain.

Dagmær

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
11-05-2016, 03:25 PM
ooc: I'm going to be on absence for a bit so next round due Nov 16!

Dagmær moved quickly but carefully through the terrain and motioned for the others to do the same. Mountain goats were more sure-footed than wolves. If they sensed danger they would bolt and that would be the end of the hunt and she wanted to e sure she didn't send any loose rocks scattering down and alerting the prey to their presence. Slinking along she slipped and curved around the rocky terrain until at last she came to one of the creeks that flowed through the mountains, it was shallower than it might have been in the spring when fresh snow melt would no doubt send it rushing down to the steppe. Gathered around the river were a herd of about a dozen mountain goats and she slipped behind a boulder, working to keep herself covered as she crept closer, eyes scouring the herd. There! She spied a male with a slight limp.

Waiting for the others to get into place she would gesture toward the wounded male who drinking from the stream and on the side of the herd closest to the wolves. Fearful that speaking might give away their position she would gesture for Nia to circle around to their left, Karabela to their right so that the pair could drive the goat toward Qualm and Dag who would lie in wait while still being alert should the creature veer off course.

Walk, "Talk" Think

Karabela

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Medium
player
11-20-2016, 05:48 PM
ooc: -breaks out the pom poms- we can do it! I'll get the action started, remember there's no posting order so go ahead and post! I will probably post with Dag again on Thanksgiving but please tell me if you need more time to post. I'd prefer not to skip anyone but I don't want this to drag out forever.

Karabela glided along the ridge as she followed her niece, her movements swift and silent. She was excited to see what her pack could manage even if they were a smaller gathering for now and their prey a most difficult and tricky quarry. Raba would watch Dag's body language taking in the movements and gestures as the girl signaled her to move to the right and herd the prey towards them. Raba moved carefully, her sleek body low to the ground as she wove her way through the rocky terrain pausing now and then as se felt the herds eyes on her. Thankfully her coat seemed like snow on rock and she hoped it would hide her well enough. When she was certain that the animals mistook her for some benign piece of nature she continued on her way until she was in position. Then she would wait. Once Nia and the others were in position she would focus on her niece. It was difficult to see the girl but soon enough she pinpointed those emerald eyes and with a nod of the girls head Karabela would spring forward with a battle cry, diving into the herd and sending the goats scattering, her golden gaze fixed on their injured target as it leapt towards the waiting pair.

"Speech"

Qualm

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
12-01-2016, 11:04 PM

Qualm watched quietly, as he indeed knew they had to be quiet for a hunt. It seemed he and Dag would be staying behind to catch the injured beast. His nose flaring at the scent of the ram. He'd never hunting anything like it, then again he hadn't been involved in a pack hunt. The young man's muscles would flex in anticipation. Heat rising in his chest, adrenaline coursing through his veins as he prepared himself. Somehow letting his instincts take over and getting himself prepared. It had been so long since he'd felt such a rush and as such he wanted to show that he could be of some use to Ivory Ridge.

"Talk"

Nia

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Arian
12-02-2016, 07:10 PM

Considering his condition, Nia was used to watching carefully. The world around him was silent, as his ears flicked with the feeling of the rock underneath his paws. The small male would watch Dag, as soon as he was given an instruction he looked to Raba for a moment and then started to the left. Keeping an eye on the injured animal. The point was to corner it out from the group and make it run towards Qualm and Dag so they could kill it.

Silently he started to stalk, hoping that his partner on the other side was doing well. As his two different colored orbs concentrated on the injured ram. At the right moment, he started to run out of the covers of the shrubs. Teeth snapping to startle the beast, if it tried to veer right no doubt Raba would be right there to make sure it sealed its fate to feed all of them.

Dagmær

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
12-02-2016, 08:37 PM
ooc:  w00t! Last round! I'll finish it up in Dag's final post

Dagmær kept her breath slow and steady both to keep herself quiet and to calm her nerves. She watched closely as her aunt moved into position followed by Nia, soon the pair would spring and then everything exploded into motion. The goats scattered, bleats and the echoes of hoof hitting rock echoed around her but still she focused. The ram stumbled but managed to stay just ahead of Nia and Raba's jaws. They were doing masterfully, the ram could not veer to either side without running into fangs and so it was driven beautifully to where Dag and Qualm lay in wait and as it started to pass she leapt forward jaws seizing it's front right leg as she dug in her body, feeling herself lurching forward as the ram stumbled.

The ram hit the ground and as Dag released her hold on the front leg it started to stumble back up. However, hindered by it's injury it could not avoid her jaws as they latched onto it's throat. The ram's bleating cry was cut suddenly short but that was when the real fight began. It struggled violently and Dag could only pray that the others would swiftly help her bring the beast down before it crushed her.

Walk, "Talk" Think

Karabela

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Medium
player
12-03-2016, 10:24 AM

Karabela dived after the ram, doing her best to keep it going toward the pair that was lying in wait. As it veered to the right, she'd put on a burst of speed, fangs snapping and nipping into the flesh of the beasts hind left leg to push it back toward Nia. The create stumbled a few times, spittle flying from its panting mouth as it barreled right between Dagmær and Qualm. Dag leapt and managed to seize its throat but the large creature was to much for her to down alone and the Chieftan sped forward, taking great gulps of air to fuel her muscles with oxygen before her fangs ripped into the left hindquarters of the ram, her large frame crouching as she attempted to help drag it down to their level.

"Speech"

Nia

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Arian
12-08-2016, 05:32 PM

As soon as he saw Raba make contact, Nia's small body went into action. Taking off in a full run Tally was holding on for dear life as his jaws opened and he got a hold of the ram's back right ankle. That way he was so low he could trip the animal and hopefully that Raba was on the other side it would face plant into the ground. Giving the other two wolves a chance to jump in and for someone to make the kill. His tail swerved off to one side as his nostrils flared. Muscles vexing towards the effort he was sort of glad he couldn't hear in situations like this one. His toes spread into the terrain and he tried his hardest to keep a hold.

Qualm

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
12-08-2016, 05:56 PM

The fray had begun and adrenaline was running deep in his veins. As the ram started towards him, Qualm instantly felt his muscles tighten. Instead of running away the male ran forward. Letting instincts guide him as his eyes narrowed. He took in sharp breaths before jumping from his back legs and biting deep into the rams left shoulder. He shook his head and made an attempt like the others to get the animal to fall down so that Daegmar could make the killing blow. Blood in his teeth he kept his leg muscles tightened and himself ready. Those horns were still dangerous even when the animal was on its last legs.

"Talk"

Dagmær

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
12-17-2016, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2016, 03:42 PM by Dagmær.)
ooc:  Great work guys!  I declare this hunt done, you may post again if you like.

Dagmær was loosing her grip as the creature struggled.  Her tail flipped up between her legs in a effort to give her exposed underside some extra padding.  She'd rather break her tail than her ribs.  Her forearms were around the base of the rams neck but even so it's thrashing limbs still made the task difficult and a lunging hoof crashed into her left thigh, causing her to jaws to crush tighter over the rams throat as she winced in pain.  The leg crumpled under her and she fell, her weight and the efforts of her companions dragging the ram down too the ground.

She could feel the others upon the ram now, ripping and tearing until finally the creature was dead.  Panting, Dagmær released her grip and shook herself.  Her jaw opening and closing as she stretched it.  Dag was limping slightly and knew she'd be sporting a good bruise for her trouble but at least nothing was broken and they were successful!  Tail wagging Dagmær grinned. "Excellent work everyone!"  

Walk, "Talk" Think

Karabela

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Medium
player
12-17-2016, 04:02 PM

It seemed like this was never going to end! Karabela dug in deep, golden eyes glancing to her niece who she could see was struggling but she didn't dare let go or the beast could surge right over the younger wolf. Nia and Qualm were digging in as well. Finally the ram crumpled to the ground dead. Karabela quickly released her grip and ran over to her niece. "Dagmær are you alright?" The girl shook off her aunts worry and instead congratulated everyone. Raba turned to Qualm and quietly spoke, "Will you take a look at her leg when we've finished here? I don't mean to fuss but I want to be sure she's alright." Karabela couldn't quite explain it but she felt a lot of responsibility for her niece. In some ways they were the last of their family and those ties were important to her in a way she couldn't quite express. She couldn't help but worry.

"I agree with Dag's sentiments. I'll open the abdominal cavity and we'll eat our fill before taking the rest back to the den site." Karabela moved to the creatures belly and worked at the flesh until she'd made the desired incision. She intended to cure the hide and she wanted to figure out something to do with the horns but for now the fatty organ meat would serve well to fuel her hunters.

"Speech"