gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
Tealah

Treat 2019
07-23-2018, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2018, 10:40 AM by Enrico.)
It had been some time since he'd been in pack lands to stay, temporarily leaving his few wolves to settle in to their new home while he scouted the lands and hunted, returning to sleep in the ship most nights and refreshing the new scent markers on his way in and out. It was a harsh winter, and he hadn't wanted to depend entirely on the ice's meager resources until he knew how best to manage them. But it was spring now, and while the ice encasing their home wouldn't melt pretty much everything else was, and the muddy morass outside his pack's lands made him happy to set his paws on the slick-wet surface of the pack ice. Well, after they'd weathered the harsh winter so well, it was time to call the pack together and see if any decisions had been made about what paths they each wanted to pursue, and to begin arranging training for those who needed it and provide the opportunity to prove skills already acquired.

The sun was rising as the alpha made his way into the bow of the ship, and leaping to the platform there, he took a moment to appreciate it's beauty. The orange-red glow spilled its color out over the ice as it breached the horizon like the whales he'd watched breaching in the ocean just past their icy land. Watching it, he considered that perhaps it was time to begin expanding their territory in preparation for new members. Or perhaps not - he was still wary of putting the pack and himself at risk by accepting too many members. The more wolves you had in a pack, the higher the risk of slackers, or traitors. He could not afford to drag along those who refused to pull their own weight, and while traitors would be dealt with swiftly and harshly, they would have already done their damage.

He puffed out a sigh, his breath misting in air that was still waiting for the touch of the sun's light to warm it. Well, he would see what the future held when the time came. For today he needed to concentrate on more immediate needs. Lifting his dark muzzle, he called out with a long, low note to summon the small pack together.

Nearly immediately, the sleek white and black form of Asriel lofted over the side of the ship to land quietly on the deck before the snow leopard padded up to join him at the bow. Like any cat, Asriel chose to drape himself along the rail of the ship to observe with that sharp-eyed gaze of his. "Good morning, Enrico," the cat rumbled, twitching his tail along the rail.

"Good morning, Asriel," he returned politely. He was glad the cat had chosen to remain with the pack after he had healed rather than return to his solitary territory, even though unmated snow leopards were not given to pairing up. As Asriel explained it, there were simply not enough of the cats left for him to have any chance of finding a mate and settling down with her, and his injury had made it clear that if he continued a solitary existence for that impossible hope, he ran the risk of starving to death if he became sick or injured and couldn't hunt. Living with a wolf pack may have been strange for him, but he couldn't help but appreciate the security they provided. Besides, the long conversations between the two of them on a variety of intellectual and philosophical subjects was far preferable to the years spent alone with only his own company.

OOC: since many people are on scarcity and/or absence I'm not going to push a hard deadline on this but please make it a priority to post here as soon as possible so we can get Niente moving now that I'm back. I will probably jump in once in a while to move things along while they're waiting for everyone but you can feel free to have your character jump in at any point without being "late".

Ferrous

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Medium
player
Lazuli
07-24-2018, 08:51 PM
Enrico's howl went in one ear and out the other as Ferrous dug through the snow in search of mice. Several beats ticked by before her head shot up and she whipped around to stare at the ship. The call was for her. Well, for everyone, but she was part of everyone in this instance. When was the last time she'd been howled for? Being summoned filled her with a bizarre feeling that was somewhere between 'yay someone wants me' and 'boo someone's making me do something'. It was a feeling, she decided as she walked towards the ship, that she was going to have to get used to.

With Zahir at her side Ferrous climbed onto the deck and began to pad towards Enrico. Her eyes went to his companion briefly but she didn't think anything of his presence. "Mornin' Tiercel," she said friskily.

Zahir, seeing the other snow leopard, paused a beat before following her friend. She'd been aware of his presence for awhile now. Snow leopards were usually solitary creatures with territories almost as well defined as the territories of wolves and his presence made her wary. She'd never experienced much violence with other snow leopards, but her encounters were few and far in between. Clearly, with the alpha not chasing him off, the male was welcome so Zahir decided a cautious but largely neutral approach was fitting. She'd ignore him for now.

"Speaking" - "Thinking" - "You"

[Image: 14abtc3.png]
Ferrous has a saber-toothed snow leopard companion named Zahir. If she isn't
mentioned IC it's safe to assume she isn't there.

Cepheus

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Dragon
07-28-2018, 12:25 AM

He was fairly close to the frigid waters at the edge of the ice when he heard Enrico's call. Truth be told, however, he had no idea what that call meant. He had never been a part of a pack before, so the culture of a pack was lost on him. He returned his attention back to the water, watching a creature he had never seen before bob up and down. It was black and white, and it looked like a giant fish with pointed teeth. It was too far in the water for him to get a closer look, but after it dipped back into the water and didn't come back up, he decided it was time to head to the ship.

Padding through the snow, he remembered the howl not too long ago. Maybe Enrico was calling for them for some reason? Or calling for him? Whatever the reason, he quickened his pace a little bit until paws set foot on the strange surface of the ship. It didn't take that much longer for him to spot Enrico and the younger she-wolf, though he couldn't quite remember her name. But he felt on edge when he spotted her companion, and then the snow leopard that lurked near his alpha. He froze for a moment, looking from one to the other as he tried to process this. Was...he supposed to have someone like that following him around too? Honestly, the whole idea was strange to him. But seeing as how neither were chased off, he assumed they were safe enough to be around. He sat down a bit of distance from the two, offering a nod to each as he waited to see what was going on.

Speak

Tracker

If I haven't responded to a thread within a week, please feel free to bug me about it!

Magnolia

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
Lolaf
07-28-2018, 12:57 PM

Speech

The woman had been able to make herself rather comfortable in the strange cold ship that Enrico had made his pack in. She had noticed the pack seemed to be sparse still but that didn't bother her much, she was a social creature but the nature of the pack as Enrico had described it to her also didn't lead her to believe everyone would be as eager as she was to make friends. Still she'd made contact with at least one wolf outside of Enrico and that was enough for her right now. She was also occupied with the advent of spring, herbs would be hard to find the harsher northern climate and she was hoping to make her first foray into gathering the supplies she'd need. That required learning the lay of the lands around the ship though and it had been slow going.

These thoughts were swirling around in her head when the call for the pack reached her and Maggie pulled herself from her musings. She was already within the ship's hull and it didn't take long for her to arrive.

She gave each of the wolves she didn't know a nod and a smile, following the male's wary gaze to the two big cats. She had picked up their strange scents within the borders and based on the nonchalant ways they held themselves it seemed likely they were considered welcome here so Maggie wasn't all to concerned. She seated herself next to the unknown brown Male and waited.

Ásvor

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
nyx

The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 2Pride - LesbianBeeventVolcano
07-31-2018, 10:05 AM
Ásvor had no difficulty in settling in to Niente's lands, even in the midst of the harsh winter they'd faced. The arrival of spring, of course, was welcome by all - thawing the north just enough to make the weather bearable. This end of the continent was never quite as fertile as the rest - it was hard to find any herbs here at all during any season but summer, at least this far north - but Ásvor would temporarily neglect herb collecting to better settle in here.

Once the earth began to thaw she had since spent the majority of her time digging a den for herself and Valdis, assuming she would choose to join her, which was an exhausting feet with the ground long since frozen over. Once that task was complete she'd likely head further south, at least for a few days, to stock up on herbs before returning and finding a safe place to store them here.

Her current task was disrupted by Enrico's call, the sound crisp and cutting through the serenity of early morning.  Ásvor made little attempt to delay as she paused what she'd been doing and headed toward the central point of the territory, the S.S. Antiox. Only a few had arrived, though her gaze lingered on Enrico and his feline companion that stood perched on the frozen ship near him. A faint hint of a smile pulled at her lips as she drew closer, coming to recline to her haunches near the others, interested in what this meeting held for them all.

"Talk" "You" Think

Valdís

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7

Samhain 2022The Ooze ParticipantPride - LesbianCritical Hit!Treat 2019Promptober 2019
08-01-2018, 08:44 PM

Dawn light spread across the snow and crept down into her den. Valdís blinked slowly and curled up tighter. She'd had a restless night full of tossing and turning and she had no desire to give up on sleep just yet. However, the decision wasn't up to hear as she heard Enrico's call. She stayed put for another few minutes, willing herself to absorb all the warmth she could before she stood and shook out her coat.

Valdís slipped through the strange metal door that led into her room… well temporary room. She'd been denning with Ásvor but after a particularly grueling patrol she'd collapsed within the ship. Perhaps it was this strange cave that was part of the problem. It would take time to get used to sleeping in such an unnatural cave. So smooth and sharp. She'd be glad to head back to the den if it wasn't to muddy. Valdís padded through the halls and made her way to the bow of the ship where a number of wolves were already gathered. She'd had yet to really get to know her packmates and so she quickly moved to sit down next to Ásvor, shooting a grin at the other woman.

"Talk" "You" Think

Enrico

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
Tealah

Treat 2019
08-06-2018, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2018, 09:31 AM by Tealah.)
Ferrous was the first of the pack to appear, and her jaunty greeting drew a sincere smile to his muzzle. The spunky young woman seemed to have that surprising effect on the gentleman who normally cloaked himself in his melancholy like a shield. "Good morning, Kes," he returned, tilting his head to her as she and her fanged snow leopard chose seats. Asriel watched as Zahir seemed to regard him warily and then ignored him. His whiskers twitched towards her and the tip of his tail lashed gently, his interest clearly piqued by this unusual and intriguing member of his species, but he left her alone. He had seen so few of his kind that he didn't want to scare her off by pushing too enthusiastically for her attention and he was, after all, a gentleman.

The small pack gathered on the deck of the ship. Enrico watched them distantly, his mind on what he planned to do, planned to say, but he paid enough attention to see the wary reactions of some of the wolves to Asriel and to Ferrous' companion. Valdis was the last to make her way there, looking rather tired but by no means late.

"Spring is here," he observed first, his velvet-soft voice seeking their attention. "Soon the packs to our south will be stirring again. We have settled in well here, I believe, but it is time for us to begin to make a place among them. I want to urge caution in dealing with wolves from other packs, however. Although it is time they began to learn of our existence and our name, I would prefer that the nature and makeup of Niente remain secretive for as long as possible. The more the other packs know about us, the less advantage we have, so please, take great care when you speak to others of Niente. I trust you as wolves of Niente," he said, meeting each set of eyes in turn to emphasize his point, "to keep this in mind."

He waited a beat longer to drive the seriousness of his request in, then moved to the next subject, though one that had not seemed necessary to him until the meeting had begun. "Some of you may have noticed the scents of snow leopards around the territory and, I'm sure, none of you have failed to notice the two among us right now," he said with a faint wry humor. "Zahir and Asriel," he nodded to each in turn, "though they are not wolves have chosen to join Niente much as Ferrous and myself have, and are to be regarded as much a part of the pack as any of us. I know that they may be startling," and he leveled a neutral look at Asriel, who had smugly lifted one oversize paw with claws extended to groom between the toes, clearly for the express purpose of showing off the formidable weaponry, "but please extend them the same courtesies and welcome as a wolf pack member. Thank you."

Another pause, this time to redirect his thoughts back into the path he'd called the meeting for, and to make it clear that the meeting was moving on from the announcements. "With the easier travel that spring will allow us, I intend to begin seeking out trades with the other packs as well as with loners who have assets that will be of use to us. If any one has trade goods to contribute or the ability to make goods, let me know. Otherwise we will trade our services for goods, or for training. Many among you have not yet made a decision about what guild you wish to find training in, so please let me know so I can provide or trade for training for your apprenticeship period. Please keep in mind that everyone needs to contribute to a guild in some way, to work together as packmates." He let his quiet gaze travel around them, making it clear that he would be disappointed if anyone chose to languish in guildless limbo.

"If any of you have anything more to add, please feel free to do so," he concluded, opening the floor to anyone else who wanted to address Niente, as he waited for those who sought rank to speak up.

Valdís

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7

Samhain 2022The Ooze ParticipantPride - LesbianCritical Hit!Treat 2019Promptober 2019
08-10-2018, 10:16 PM

The meeting began with the announcement of spring and the stirring of other packs in the south. Enrico urged caution and she nodded lightly in agreement. While she'd been part of another pack that had fallen she could understand the need to be wary. Especially with less honorable wolves like the Abraxas lurking about. He spoke of the snow leopards and also of trade and the guilds. At the moment Valdís felt like her skills as a warrior were all she really had to offer. She didn't have much else in the way of crafts or skills. Though she would be willing to help the hunters of the pack.

Valdís kept silent though. She didn't really have much to add that wasn't already inherent in Enrico's words. She was a member of the pack and hoped that it would make it obvious enough that she wished to help however she could. Although, she hadn't really interacted much with her pack mates yet and she was in sore need of training partners. Valdís cleared her throat. "If anyone wishes to train with me I'm looking to increase my stamina. Sparring practice is also appreciated. If hunts are held I'd be happy to help but I'm afraid I'm not much of a craftsman when it comes to items to trade."

"Talk" "You" Think

Ferrous

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Medium
player
Lazuli
08-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Ferrous still didn't know what to make of the alpha, so she took every opportunity to test him. Sooner or later, whether he liked it or not, she'd get a feel for him. It was with that in mind that she winked at him after he returned her greeting. It didn't matter if he blushed, looked disgusted or intrigued, any reaction would tell her a little bit about him.

With a playful swing in her step Ferrous swept away from Enrico and sat down a short distance away with Zahir at her side. She fixed Enrico with an expectant, hawkish look. She was going to figure him out. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but she'd tease out his inner works. She was going to figure out what made him tick.

The meeting got underway as the rest of the pack trickled in and took their seats. While she was familiar with all of their scents Ferrous knew little else of her packmates. She was going to have to fix that. Whether or not she gave them the same treatment she gave their alpha, she didn't know yet, but Ferrous would do her best to figure them out too.

When Enrico opened the floor up a tall woman was the first to speak. Ferrous regarded her curiously. She had the build and confidence of a warrior and that alone was enough to draw Ferrous to her so when the woman offered herself up as a training partner Ferrous jumped at the chance. "I'll take you up on that. I could use a sparring partner." Actually, what she needed was formal training from a wolf, but Ferrous wasn't about to admit that.

After a beat Ferrous turned to Enrico. She'd been thinking about her place in the pack. While she enjoyed fighting and would never stop trying to better herself, if there was one thing she thought she was called to do it was thieving. She'd been grifting and scheming since she could toddle and she liked to think she was damn good at it too. So her choice was more or less a given. "I think Hobby would suit me just fine as a rank. And," she said confidently, "I'll do whatever I have to, to prove it."

"Speaking" - "Thinking" - "You"

[Image: 14abtc3.png]
Ferrous has a saber-toothed snow leopard companion named Zahir. If she isn't
mentioned IC it's safe to assume she isn't there.

Enrico

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
Tealah

Treat 2019
08-13-2018, 01:54 PM
Enrico nodded as Valdis spoke up. "We could all use some training, I am sure. I am terribly out of practice and could use a training session myself," he said tactfully. They would undoubtedly run into those who would be outraged by their less-savory practices or others who would attempt to force their compliance somehow - he could not help but think about the family Dragon had mentioned once in this very spot, those Abraxas, though he doubted he had as much to be concerned about as the more southern packs did, and he would not find the idea of making deals with them as distasteful as Regulus undoubtedly would - and they would need to keep their skills sharp to protect the pack. "And your skill as a fighter is certainly a tradeable one, if you are willing. Not all trades must be crafted," he said with a faint smile towards the fighter.

Ferrous had also spoken up, casually mentioning that hobby sounded like it would suit her. He nodded at her too, secretly pleased that the tough young girl had decided to stick it out long enough to pick a guild. "Hobby certainly may suit you. I will place you there on a trial basis until we are able to test your skills in the rank." He had a few ideas on that subject, since he needed to test Asvor's skill as well. He'd call at least the two of them aside after the meeting and solidify his plans on that, though there might be more wolves who needed testing in their chosen paths by then as well.

Ásvor

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
nyx

The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 2Pride - LesbianBeeventVolcano
08-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Ásvor found comfort in Valdis's presence as the other woman settled in beside her, as if she belonged there. She couldn't quite shake that thought, though kept it to herself, merely flashing her friend a gentle smile before turning her attention to Enrico as he began to speak not long after they'd all settled in. He began by saying he wanted Niente to be more secretive, using that to their advantage, and Ásvor agreed with that sentiment. Un-allied packs -or even enemy packs - not knowing much about them definitely was a strength, and she nodded in silent understanding.

He introduced the two canines who would be joining them, and Asvor cast them a weary eye. She would respect them, as any other members of Nienti, though that wouldn't stop the silent judgment of them forming in the silent caverns of her mind. Her attention was only briefly captured by the two more unusual members of the pack before she focused on the other things Enrico spoke of - of wanting to trade with other packs, and encouraging the pack to gather things of value. Perhaps some of the more rare herbs she collected might be of some use. Surely there would be packs interested in medicinal herbs... as well as underground trading for herbs that had recreational effects? Perhaps even poisons, though the thought of sharing her... less good-intentioned plants didn't settle perfectly well with her.

She listened as Valdis spoke up, and as Ferrous offered to train with her. After a moment, she decided to speak uyp as well. "Though I do believe I am the only Kestrel here, I'd be happy to share knowledge with any who are interested in studying herbs and healing." Perhaps someone might be interested in the basics, or have information of their own to trade with her. Either way, she figured she might as well offer, and briefly looked around the small group - curious if anyone else might express interest, however slight.

"Talk" "You" Think

Valdís

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7

09-08-2018, 05:03 PM

Valdís was pleased she had a taker and though it was the girl that answered Val felt she could still get in some good sparring practice with a younger, more spritely opponent. She'd been living a wandering, sedentary lifestyle and that needed to be corrected. She needed to get a regular training regime going again. "Sounds good. I'm Valdís by the way. What's your name?" Valdís also hadn't done a very good job of socializing with her fellow pack members and so she had no idea what the girl's name was.

She felt a bit bad for Ásvor. Part of the reason they'd joined a pack was to hopefully get a teacher for Ásvor but it seemed it wasn't to be. Why were healers such a rare find these days? She hoped they'd be able to find another to join so that Ásvor would have a co-worker, especially if they amped up sparring and training. She turned back to the girl. "Want to meet me after the meeting to train? There's a good spot to the south of the metal cave."

"Talk" "You" Think

Cepheus

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Dragon
09-08-2018, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2018, 08:28 PM by Cepheus.)

He sat there in silence as others trickled in, his own gaze slowly glancing to each of them so he could take note of who was in Niente. The pack appeared quite small still, but it also wasn't as well established as other packs he knew existed south of them. When the last member arrived, he turned his gaze to Enrico and listened with attentive interest. It made sense to him why he wanted to keep information from others, and it was a good move. The more others knew, the more damage they could potentially do. The two strange felines were mentioned, and Cepheus eyed them both with some interest. Before Ferrous, he had never seen a wolf traveling with a feline like that. He had always tried to avoid things like that...after all, cougars and the like never seemed to be very friendly whenever he encountered them. But if these two were friends of the pack, then Cepheus would treat them the same as any other pack member.

He then talked about trading now that the spring season was here, and it was a curious thing to Cepheus. He had never been in a pack before now, so it was interesting to him to see how things worked. He didn't know anything about trading, however, so when Enrico said they needed to figure out what they wanted to pursue, he thought. So far, it seemed one member was interested in the fighting field, and the other two that had spoken were interested in other things. He peered around to see if anyone else was gonna speak up, but when nobody did, he took his opportunity. "I think I would like to pursue the path of the fighter. And I'm willing to work and train hard for that." And if he found out that path didn't work out, then perhaps he'd try another. Though he was fairly confident that he could do this.

Speak

Tracker

If I haven't responded to a thread within a week, please feel free to bug me about it!