size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Lazuli

The Ooze ParticipantVolcanoCritical Fail!Trick 2019Promptober 2019
05-25-2019, 10:57 AM
Pyrrhic stood at the mouth of a cave looking out. Beyond the lip of stone that shielded him was a wall of water. The rain was falling so hard and so fast that he couldn't see much of what lay outside. They'd been lucky to find the cave when they did otherwise they would have been caught in the downpour. It seemed their adventure was off to a great start.

He turned away from the torrential downpour with a sigh. It looked like they were going to be stuck in the cave for awhile. Pyrrhic kicked at one of the many pebbles that littered the cave and watched it skitter across the cold damp floor. An idea struck him then and he lit up. Quickly he gathered a handful of white pebbles and then sorted them. He kept the most uniform ones and discarded the rest; whittling down the pile until only 14 white stones remained. Each stone was about the same size, color and shape. In the end their appearance didn't really matter, but Pyrrhic liked uniformity.

Turning from the small collection of stones Pyrrhic scoured the cave floor in search of a different stone. Black would offer a nice contrast to the rest, but he'd settle for any stone that wasn't white or light gray.

After a moment he found it; a rust colored stone banded in orange, cream and red. It contrasted sharply with the rest and would suit his purposes nicely. Pyrrhic laid it down in the center of the white ones and them spread them all out in a single layer on the ground.

Pleased with how quickly he'd scratched a simple game together, Pyrrhic cast a mischievous sidelong look at his brother. "I think we're going to be here awhile. How about we pass the time with a little game of strategy, hm? If that's not interesting enough for you, how about this: loser has to do all the hunting for the next week."

WC: 326

Pyrrhic has a male mandrill companion named Benkos. Unless he's mentioned IC it's safe to assume he's not with Pyrrhic.

Aureus

Loner
Mantle

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player

Critical Fail!Treat 2019Promptober 2019
05-25-2019, 12:17 PM
TIED TO WHAT IS LATE, AIN'T YOU NOW

Aureus stretched a paw out into the sheets of rain that fell, recoiling when the cold liquid struck his paw. He sighed. It just figured. The moment they got to Boreas they were struck with poor weather. It was unfortunate but it didn't dampen his spirits to much. The rain would stop in time and then the twins tour of Boreas would really kick off. He couldn't wait! Kali stretched out in the cave, licking at his pelt.

He heard his brother rustling about with the stones and he glanced questioningly at his twin before turning his attention back to the rain. The clouds were dark, heavy with rain and it seemed they stretched out for miles. The pair were definitely going to be here for awhile. His brother spoke and he turned to Pyrr. A game? He grinned. That was an excellent idea to pass the time. "Sure, that sounds good to me. How do you play?" He moved to sit across from Pyrrhic as he gazed down at the white stones spread about with a rust-colored one in the center. He wasn't terribly great at strategy yet but he definitely hoped to get better as the years went by. Kali shifted behind him, stalking closer to get a better look at what the boys were up to. Curious as a cat indeed.

Wc: 225
Total: 551

Pyrrhic

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Lazuli

05-25-2019, 01:42 PM
Aureus agreed to the game and the wager so Pyrrhic laid down on his belly across from his twin and kicked out his back legs. He was eager to test the game out; he'd only recently thought it up. It was a simple game and one he intended to teach to Iroh if it worked out between him and Aureus. Perhaps Aureus wasn't the best test subject; he was probably a bit too old to find it challenging, but Pyrrhic needed to start somewhere and if his brother found it lacking he might be able to make it more interesting for an older audience.

"It's very simple. The object of the game is to force your opponent to take the red stone. We'll take turns picking white stones up and each turn we're allowed to take 1-3 stones." He brushed some dirt off one of his forepaws and then went on to say, "You have to take at least one stone every turn - there's no skipping or anything like that - and the game ends when one of us has no choice but to take the red one."

"I have to admit that I'm using you as a guinea pig. I've been trying to think of ways to involve the kids and get them interested in things that further our cause." he said as though he himself weren't a kid, "I thought it would be a good way to introduce the young ones to strategy." He shrugged, feeling slightly self-conscious about putting his creation out there for his brother to potentially criticize. "Feel free to critique it when we're done, I could use the help."

WC: 274
TWC: 825

Pyrrhic has a male mandrill companion named Benkos. Unless he's mentioned IC it's safe to assume he's not with Pyrrhic.

Aureus

Loner
Mantle

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player

05-25-2019, 04:29 PM

Aureus used his paws to clear a few rocks out of the way before he followed Pyrrhic's lead and laid down on his stomach. Outside the rain continued to fall. A rumble of thunder rolled across the sky overhead and he had to admit he found the sound soothing. He could sit and listen to the rain but for now he wanted to focus on this game that Pyrr had created. Aureus wasn't sure he was good at games but there was really only one way to find out and that was to play. Kali moved over to sit next to him, the cat's warm body pressing up against him.

Pyrrhic began to explain the rules, that the object of the game was to make his opponent take the red stone. They'd each take turns taking 1-3 stones. Oh, now that was interesting! Most games he played a player would have one move. They'd only be able to place or remove one stone. The option to take 1-3 was an interesting option.

"Sounds good to me and don't worry. I don't mind being a guinea pig. I haven't played many strategy games before. Kali and I have been focusing mainly on personal combat." Even so, he was eager to put his mind to more intellectual pursuits like his brother. And it wasn't just strategy. He thought it would be fun to visit as many mortal packs as he could, just to meet the alphas and see what they were like.

Aureus chuckled as Pyrrhic referred to himself as a young one. Technically they were still young ones themselves but Aureus had to admit he felt a change since turning one. He felt closer to being an adult than ever before even if he still wasn't technically one. "Ok, sounds good. I'll let you know if I have any thoughts but it all sounds good to me. Can I remove the stones from anywhere or do I need to start outward and move inward?"

WC: 338
Total: 1163

Pyrrhic

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Lazuli

06-02-2019, 04:02 PM
Aureus had one question for him and Pyrrhic made a note to clarify that aspect of the game next time (assuming there was a next time) he taught the game to someone else. He was glad his brother had asked otherwise he wouldn't have known to make that change. When you knew something it was easy to assume whoever you were talking to would know little things like that intuitively, but that usually wasn't the case. He needed to remind himself of that; to be more thorough and to assume nothing.

"From anywhere. They can be in any configuration, really," he said as he used a paw to roll them around until they were spread out loosely between him and his brother. There was no rhyme or reason to their placement anymore. "Where they start and all that doesn't matter so long as they're all within reach, I suppose."

He eyed his twin curiously. "If you think you're ready to go you can have the first move. If not-" there was a crack of thunder that seemed to add weight to the statement he was about it make - "We have time work out the details." Pyrrhic really was eager to improve the game. He wanted it to be a good teaching tool, something they could use in conjunction with the usual Abraxas training.

WC: 222
TWC: 1,385

Aureus

Loner
Mantle

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player

06-08-2019, 09:22 PM

Aureus nodded as Pyrr said the stones could be taken from anywhere and in any configuration. His brother gave him the first move and as he reached forward to move a stone there was a terrible crack of thunder. He jumped and gazed out the entrance of the cave for a moment. He didn't like storms very much but he felt fairly sure that they'd be safe here. Focusing back on the game, Aureus moved three stones halfway from the edge, in a nice little row. He felt the best way to learn was to get started and maybe he could come up with some suggestions along the way. Aureus knew he needed to work more on his mind. Kali always said so, but Aureus was always keen on physical activity, its where he felt most proficient and secure.

Speaking of Kali, the cat crouched next to Aureus and laid down as he watched the boys play, his tail curving up and down with amusement as he watched.

Pyrrhic

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Lazuli

06-23-2019, 02:44 PM
Pyrrhic watched as Aureus took three stones out of the 'pile'. The yearling was still for several moments as he tried to decide if it was too soon to be strategizing. After a beat he mentally corrected himself. If he'd said that out loud Benkos would have scolded him for sure. It was never too soon to strategize.

He frowned down at the stones and then carefully slid three of them out of the mix, stopping only once they were laying between his paws. Pyrrhic then set his paw back down and glanced up at Aureus. "Your turn," his expression said. They were now down to eight stones not including the one banded, rust colored one.

Benkos moved to sit beside Pyrrhic. He sat on his rump with his hind legs bent in front of him and his forearms resting on top of his knees. His long fingered hands hung limply from their wrists. One hand was empty but in the other he held a small twig and was rolling it it between his fingers as he watched the boys play.