An icon representing the specialty Marauder Marauder

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 1Critical Hit!Valentines 2020
05-08-2020, 09:57 PM

Mortis was determined to get better at hunting, just like his brother was. He could track really well, he could keep quiet and patient in long grasses or behind trees. It was picking out his targets, and bringing them down, or chasing them, that was a lot harder. He was clumsy on his oversized paws, he didn’t get a devastating blow in first go, and he had been kicked a few times now in his effort to bring down anything bigger than a rabbit.

It meant that he was forced to really concentrate, and think about what he was doing. To plan ahead, to practice, practice, practice. It was frustrating, to say the least.

He made his way towards Mile High woods, where a wolf he and Azure had meet lived. He didn’t know her terribly well yet, but she was close to their age, she was outside of their pack, so he didn’t mind too much if she saw him fail multiple times, and she was determined. He hoped she would be amenable to learning with him. Having a hunting partner sounded a lot more fun.

It was a long way from the pack, so he had to get permission from his dad, and have Bast along as a babysitter, as well as his own two companions. That was okay, he was use to the leopards company. Armed with this, and the knowledge that his dad would be coming after him if he was gone too long, he would make his way out into the world. He started out strong, and got lost early on. In the end, he had to ask Bast to show him the way, since she was more travelled then he was. She led him halfway there, towards the Orchard, and told him that the next few lands wouldn’t find them any that would be good for hunting. He stopped there, raising his head, and calling out for her, loud and clear, and hoped that she would hear him. He settled in, expecting a wait, if she showed at all. She might not even remember him.

"Mortis"

Mæva

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7

The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3Ice Bridge ExplorerMammoth HunterPride - DemisexualDouble Master
Bronze Medal 20201K
05-09-2020, 08:03 AM

Winter was still young in the southern regions of Boreas but that hadn't stopped it from sweeping in early. A solid amount of snow still covered the ground despite much of it having melted the day before. The good weather wasn't meant to last. While yesterday had been nice and warm a cold front had blown in from the north overnight, bringing with it a vicious cold. She could see clouds building in the north, dark against the pale gray sky. She was getting better though at figuring out when a storm was imminent and judging from how far away it was she had a few hours to kill before she needed to head back. She chuckled a bit. Hours to kill indeed. She was getting better at hunting slowly, but surely.

Her ears swiveled as she caught a familiar howl. That sounded a bit like Mortis, one of the boys she'd fought in the blizzard. Was she making a friend? With a grin on her face she bounded in the direction of the call until she spied the boy's unique form. "Hey, Mortis!" She slid to a stop in front of him. "What are you doing all the way out here? I was thinking of going hunting if you want to join me."

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-09-2020, 03:35 PM

The smells from the Orchid were strange, with the last of the dying fruit preserved beneath the snow. The trees were skeletal remains of themselves, with long stretching fingers, and a light layering of frost. He killed time examining them well he waited to see if Maeva would show.

He wasn’t totally sure it would work, so he was pleasantly surprised when Maeve bounded into view, stopping just before him. He returned her greeting with an enthusiastic wag of his tail “Hey Maeva!” he responded, and then she practically read her mind. He stared at her dubiously. She hadn’t read his mind, had she?

He decided that she must just think alike him, and gave a happy bounce. “That’s exactly what I was thinking, that we should hunt together!” he explained with excitement. “So, I would love to. What do you like to hunt?”

"Mortis"

Mæva

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7

The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3Ice Bridge ExplorerMammoth HunterPride - DemisexualDouble Master
Bronze Medal 20201K
05-09-2020, 06:07 PM

Mæva grinned as Mortis said he was thinking of hunting to. Perfect! As a duo they'd have much better luck than hunting solo. "I like to hunt everything really, though I'm still learning. I've seen signs of deer here in the Orchard and I'm hoping to catch one. There was a trail that lays this way." She stalked a short ways into a row of apple trees, eyes scanning the territory. It was a bit harder to see the deer trail with the dusting of snow but as luck would have it she did find some deer droppings.

She sniffed them lightly. "This seems fresh enough… they must be farther into the Orchard." She started following the trail, stopping now and then until they reached the edge of a clearing where a number of trees had be felled in the volcano. They stood, stark and black but amongst them could be seen a number of golden grasses that must've come up in the summer. Grazing upon them was a small herd of white tail deer. There was a male and a few females. In particular she noticed that one doe was licking her nostrils a lot, pulling large strings of snot out. Mæva gestured to her and whispered. "That one looks sick, want to try for that one?"

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-10-2020, 01:35 AM

He nodded his head, understanding exactly what she meant about still learning. He was in the same boat, and that was why he had sought her out, he wanted someone outside of his immediate family to practice with! Besides, it wasn’t every day he found someone close to his age. He was already considering Mæva his friend.

When she said she knew where a trail was, he was happy for her to take the lead. He bounded forward, and then followed at a more sedated pace behind her. He glanced about her, looking for the same signs she was. She found the droppings first, and he sniffed them after her, sniffing them to glean what he could, and to familiarise himself with them, and how fresh they were.

“Sounds good” he agreed softly, crouching low beside her, and eyeing the herd, and in particular, the doe she singled out. “Want me to go ahead, and chase her towards ypu? I can get big and scary with my wings” He whispered.

"Mortis"

Mæva

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7

Bronze Medal 20201K
05-10-2020, 07:01 AM

The deer broke through the snow with their hooves, then bent down to eat the grasses hidden there. Despite the noise they were making, every so often one of the deer would lift her head with those huge ears. They'd have to be very quiet. Thankfully, deer had terrible eye sight by wolf standards. They were tuned in more to movement than shape. Mæva was also pretty sure their color vision was limited.

She nodded to Mortis. "Ok, that sounds like a plan to me. I'll lay in wait here. Feel free to take your time, I'm more patient than I seem." She grinned. This was fun! She was enjoying hunting with Mortis and hoped they'd be able to do this more than once.

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-11-2020, 03:38 PM
He took her advice for what it was, and made sure to be slow as he crawled forward, moving as carefully around the herd as he could. He stayed low to the ground, pulling himself forward inch by inch. His wings were tucked tightly against his side, waiting for their time to shine. Once he was in a position where running straight would put him right between the doe and the herd, he paused.

He looked to Mæva, and struggled to spot her in the snow. He just had to hope that she was ready. He took a soft breath, and then got to his feet, running straight between them as he had said he would. His wings flared out, big and scary. The herd stampeded. The majority one direction, and the singled out doe… to the side!

Luckily his snow leopard came running in from the other side, chasing the doe back to him, and meeting him in the middle. Together, the two of them chased it towards Mæva.

Mæva

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7

Bronze Medal 20201K
05-11-2020, 05:12 PM

Mæva kept her breathing slow and steady as she worked to exercise her own patience. It wouldn't do for her to get jumpy and then blow the whole thing. Mortis jumped out, his wings flashing. The startled deer exploded into motion and the doe started off to the side but Mortis' companion was able intervene and the two chased the doe toward Mæva.

Her heart was hammering and she leapt from her hiding spot but she miscalculated. The doe was faster than she realized but she was able to sink her fangs into the doe's left back leg. She tried to sit, to try and use her weight to force it down but she was to small yet and the doe kicked violently, shaking her loose. "Oh, shit I'm sorry!" She quickly recovered and gave chase. Snow and dirt were kicked into the air as she raced after the doe.

She finally caught up just as they hit a muddy pond. The doe's thin legs sank in deeply and she started to struggle. Mæva raced for the front of the deer which immediately launched its front legs, trying to stomp her. Timing her attack she leapt up, jaws latching onto the underside of the doe's neck but not close enough to be effective around the airway. One of the doe's legs slipped over her but she held firm even as the pair of them was getting pushed deeper into the mud. She'd have to trust that Mortis could deliver the killing blow.

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-11-2020, 05:29 PM
Mortis was starting to break off his run as the deer entered Mæva’s space, but the girl miscalculated, and wasn’t able to bring down the prey. He picked up speed again, tearing after girl and prey, his leopard hot on his tail. He wasn’t far behind her when she chased the deer into a pond.

At least it effectively trapped their prey, and well Mæva went for it, he would see how the mud squelched beneath them, hungry to eat them whole. He hesitated for a moment, staring at the mud, with no idea how deep it was. He swallowed, his friend was relying on him.

He jumped forward, latching onto the deer's back, and tried to scramble up it with his feline like claws. It screamed and bucked as his talons dug in and all but collapsed beneath his weight, but Mort had purchase now. Using his claws for balance, he reached over and got his teeth about its neck. His elongated fangs ripping out the throat, and both wolf and deer tumbled into the mud.

Mæva

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7

Bronze Medal 20201K
05-11-2020, 05:47 PM

Mæva held on tight, thrashing so that her jaws would do more damage and weaken the animal further. She also worked her arms around the base of the deers neck, doing her best to keep them in close quarters where it's front legs wouldn't be able to do as much damage. She couldn't see what Mortis was doing but when the deer started to bleat loudly and flail she knew he was there and in a moment his fangs seized hold of the doe's neck.

It didn't take long for the doe to collapse in the mud. Mæva quickly scrambled out from under it. Shaking out her coat she turned to Mortis with a grin. "That was wicked! Your teeth are really cool." She glanced at the doe. "How do you want to split this? I'd be happy with the hind legs to take back to my family."

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-12-2020, 06:47 PM

Mortis tumbled into the mud, but managed to land on top of the kill. Nonetheless, his coat was splattered, and his paws were squelching. He was pushing the deer further into the muddy water with his weight, and he was quick to scramble off and grab the deer by its neck, pulling it from its liquid grave with a squelch, as it popped free, almost shoving him backwards at the sudden give.

He finished pulling it free, and shook out his muddy coat, before turning his attention back to Mæva, and considered her question thoughtfully. “Thanks!” he said with a grin, first to her compliment. The teeth were a normal thing in his family, so sometimes he forgot that they were special.

“I don’t mind you having the kill, I just want the experience with hunting. I can help you drag it home, if you like?” he offered

"Mortis"