size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Briena

Halloween 2020 - Witches HutValentines 2020
07-09-2020, 07:39 PM

Cairo was reveling in his ability to move freely, and his strides were improving with each passing day. The limp in both legs was nearly gone now, with the passing weeks. On this particular day, he’d chosen to take a walk through history. He stood now, gazing far, far up with his neck craned back, to gaze up at the gargantuan redwood forest. It was here that his great uncle and aunts had sheltered for the night with Erani until their father, his namesake, had found them and led them home.

He didn’t know which tree they’d sheltered inside of—there were many trees he could spot at a glance that had grown with hollow centers like great wooden dens, offering resolute shelter from the elements.

He padded forward, deep sapphire eyes flicking and scanning the trees. They made even Sirius Fatalis seem tiny by comparison, a staunch reminder that wolves were not the biggest thing out there, nor were they the masters of their world. He’d never thought himself a master of anything, but he knew there were many who likely thought nothing could bring them down.

He paused, twisting around and flipping his nose under the flap of one of the pouches on his armor, tugging out a strip of dried venison with his teeth and flipping it into the air, catching it in his teeth once more in a better chewing position as he let the flap drop, continuing onward as he chewed slowly.

Chrystal kept pace, perching on tree limbs between flights, silver owl eyes keeping close watch on her friend and the surroundings.

Walk ---- "Speak" ---- "Hear" ---- Think

Rhaegara

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
Tasha

Critical Hit!
07-09-2020, 07:57 PM

Rhaegara was running, but it wasn’t like it had ever been in training. It was the freeing feeling of having the wind blow through her fur, the lack of worry on her features for just a moment before she forced herself to return to reality. Carlys flew above her, keeping an eye out on the forest floor below as she weaved her way through trees, occasionally stopping to rest on a branch whilst waiting for Rhae to catch up. It was Car that spotted them first, or more of him. She took off, flying back and letting out a piercing cry that made her halt in her tracks, paws digging into the ground to slow her momentum.

She gave her feathery friend a cocked gaze, the raven meeting her eyes, warning her of a potential threat up ahead. Everything was always a threat at first, even if the situation turned out okay. She gave a nod in response, a silent thank you to the diligent watch the bird always held, watching her back. She cautiously approached, spotting a man in the distance: larger, older, heavier. She kept a mental note, cautiously approaching with a tentative greeting. “Who’s there?” She could never be too careful nowadays.

She knew it was a matter of time before they caught up with her. Carlys landed on a tree branch not too far from Chrystal, gazing at the owl curiously.

"Rhae" "Carlys"

Cairo II

Loner

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (295)

An icon representing the specialty Weaponsmaster Weaponsmaster

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Briena

07-09-2020, 08:10 PM

The sound of running paws brought him around well before Chrystal clicked her beak and screeched softly. Soon after a piercing raven call filled the air. Cairo turned fully to study the smaller figure, head cocking slightly as his slate-black ears perked. He didn’t approach, but called out easily, “Cairo Adravendi, Steadfast Seeker of Valhalla.” The was a subtle, humble pride in his voice as he spoke of his origin. He'd worked hard to reach that rank, and he'd work harder to reach his goal.

Chrystal blinked at the raven, nodding briefly before dropping from the tree to float to a landing on Cairo’s back, talons gripping the leather of his armor as the pale barn owl eyed the strange wolf carefully. Cai tipped his head back in a gesture at the creature, a slight grin creasing his eyes as he added, “This is Chrystaloria, my friend and companion.”

As the girl drew close enough, he saw that she was indeed a girl, still a yearling, but the breeze that carried her scent said she wasn’t a pack wolf. He kept his stance relaxed; his natural easy friendliness visible in his features. Friendly, as long as she didn’t suddenly launch into him. He left the floor open to the girl to introduce herself or not.

Rhaegara

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
Tasha

Critical Hit!
07-09-2020, 08:20 PM

She could hear the subtle hints of pride as he introduced himself, bitterness welling in her heart. She used to feel the same, able to introduce herself as Heir Apparent… and yet it had all crumbled in the span of one month, maybe two as her father’s beta and his daughter plotted to murder the very wolves they had sworn to serve. Breathe. The subtle reminder came as Carlys floated down, resting on her back, eyes carefully peering at the owl as Rhae kept her gaze on the man. Cairo.

She remained guarded as she kept her eyes on him, tension relaxing and confusion spreading across her features when he introduced him companion. “You’ve received a chosen one by the ancients?” She asked, having never encountered another to have been blessed with a companion as she had. She’d been taught that they had been reserved for blood alphas and their heirs alone. Even her siblings had not received one.

He left the floor open for a greeting, and she felt comfortable enough to offer her name. “I’m Rhaegara, and this is Carlys, my friend and companion.” Her head was spinning, suddenly having a million and one questions. Her father’s voice loomed in the back of her head, warning patience as she did not know the man in front of her, and yet she felt as she did. "It's a pleasure to meet you." A thick accent laced Carlys' words as she offered a greeting of her own to the wolf.

"Rhae"  "Carlys"

Cairo II

Loner

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (295)

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Briena

07-09-2020, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2020, 08:55 PM by Cairo II.)

His head cocked, reminiscent of a German Shepherd as she spoke, casting a glance back at Chrystal. “Chosen one? Well… she chose to stay with me… I found her with an injured wing on my way home from visiting the east, and she decided to stay with me after she was well again.”

He smiled back at the owl. He didn’t know the full story behind her injury, only that it was a painful one, and she avoided talk of mates. For owls, mates were life long, like with many birds of prey. He could only guess hers had been killed in the event that had injured her wing.

His attention turned back to the girl as she introduced herself and the raven, and his muzzle and head dipped lightly in a nod to the both of them, “It’s a pleasure, Rhaegara, Carlys. I’m always happy to meet new folk on my day trips.”

His haunches lowered easily, bi-chocolate tail flicking to tuck over his front paws as he studied the girl affably. He was perceptive, not having missed her tension, even if she’d relaxed for the moment, but he didn't push her boundaries by asking what brought her here. It was a good thing to be a bit wary as a lone yearling. Lia was an immediately friendly sort, but she had already been part of the Armada when he’d encountered her instead of a young deer. How was she doing, he wondered.

Rhaegara

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
Tasha

Critical Hit!
07-09-2020, 09:03 PM

It was time for Rhaegara to be confused, listening as he explained that the owl had chosen to stay with him, that she had been injured and he had helped her in a time of great need. She suppose it was unorthodox, but still a choosing. She felt as if she needed to explain, and so she did. “Where I’m from, an heir apparent on their first nameday goes into the Forest of the Ancient Spirits as part of an ancient ceremony and part of their training.” Sorrow swarmed in her heart but she pushed it down. “My father chose a Fox named Elron. My grandmother a crow named Angelika.” She explained further as Carlys took off, circling above her.

“I chose Carlys, and she chose me. Where she flies, I will follow and where I run, she will do the same. Faithful companions until our dying days.” It was a tradition that had always warmed her heart.

He lowered onto his haunches, and she followed suit, not wishing to seem aggressive. These lands were strange, and apparently held different customs than she was used to. She would need information if she were to continue on without accidentally picking a fight over rules she did not know. “It’s a pleasure.” She greeted in return with a dip of her head. “What is this land?” She did not know, but from the sounds of it, the Ancients did not walk there, and that scared her just a little.

Perhaps he could ease her mind.

"Rhae"  "Carlys"

Cairo II

Loner

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (295)

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Briena

07-09-2020, 09:33 PM

He listened attentively as Rhaegara explained some of her culture. Heir apparent. Well, at least she wasn’t haughty about her title, past or otherwise, as Skyfire had been. He glimpsed a flash of sorrow, quickly quelled, in her eyes as she spoke of her parents’ choices, and a silent Ahh whispered at the back of his mind. He knew that sorrow, though if he’d known the method she’d come by hers he could have wholeheartedly said he hadn’t experienced his loss in the same way.

His mother had been older when she’d had him and his siblings, and they had only had a year with her before she’d sickened and passed on. Aurielle’s mother had been taken, along with Aramis, by slavers, to return but never truly return in soul, wasting and dying over an agonizingly long course of time.

However the tradition of companions, while not exactly the same as what he was experienced with, was still quite similar. Aurielle’s mountain lion Loshir had been brought by his parents along with his sister, and he’d chosen the shimmering white pup as his charge, his sister claiming charge over Aramis. Would it be the same with Aurielle’s children? Loshir had disappeared of late, come to think of it. Hm. "We've a few in our pack who have companions. My Spirit - alpha - has two. Her father has two mountain lions as well. Our most experienced healer has a pair of primates for friends. My mother had a small cat."

Rhaegara relaxed enough to sit as well, and he smiled encouragingly to her as she asked of the land. “Where we are right now is The Red Forest. It’s in the north of a continent called Boreas. There is a pack called Winterfell to the east of us,” He gestured with a toss of his muzzle in the direction of Winterfell, a few miles off, he guessed, “And southwest is Lirim, Valhalla’s sister-pack, and Valhalla itself. We’ve a neighboring pack called Aerie that we’re simply neutral with as long as they give us no trouble.”

He gestured past her toward the southwest to indicate the direction of the three packs he mentioned., then nodded toward the southeast as he went on, “In the south and east there are four packs in total. Fireside is in the south, and it has near neighbors a few lands over called Ashen, and the Ashen Armada. They are sister-packs, essentially, though, from what I’ve heard, Ashen is the seat, and the Armada is its army. They are both powerful packs. And in the far east on the coast is Abaven. Aside from Valhalla, it’s one of the oldest packs in Boreas.”

A smile quirked his features as he glanced at her, brow-points lifting as he asked, “Does that help?”

Rhaegara

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
Tasha

Critical Hit!
07-09-2020, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2020, 10:00 PM by Rhaegara.)

His explanation shocked her, to hear that so many in his pack – which she presumed to be what they called tribes around these parts – had companions, some even having more than one. The shock she was certain showed on her face, but she quickly reigned her emotions on the topic back in. Carlys sensed her emotions on the situation and let out a soft chirp in an attempt to comfort her. It was unheard of for a non-alpha or alpha-to-be to claim themselves a companion, or at the very least she herself had never heard of cases before entering these strange lands.

She did her best not to dwell on it too much, and instead turned her attention to the conversation at hand, listening intently as she absorbed all the information and sorted the packs into lists so she knew which ones to avoid. Avoid Ashen and Armada. She made the note. Avoid messing with any pack, but especially Ashen and Armada. She couldn’t take a pack by herself, much less a pack with an army by herself. “Packs… these are what I would know as Tribes, yes?” She asked, hoping the terminology made enough sense that he could confirm or deny.

Did the information help. She nodded. “Yes, very much. Thank you, you’ve done me a kindness.” She had received more information than she had been expecting. She’d received names and locations and some traits. “You’re from Valhalla, then?" She already knew the answer as he'd introduced himself, it was simply a way to shift the conversation slightly. “What’s it like?” She asked, simply curious as to how the packs operated. She detested having to answer to anyone else, but she accepted that despite it being in the distance, when winter came, she may have to submit to authority to simply survive. The part of last winter that she’d been on the run for had been rough on her, and nearly killed Carlys from the cold.

She’d save Valhalla in her mind, barring any negative interactions with any other members.

"Rhae" "Carlys"

Cairo II

Loner

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (295)

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Briena

07-09-2020, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2020, 10:17 PM by Cairo II.)

He didn’t miss her shock, and privately, his eyes twinkled as he tried to imagine what her reaction might be upon meeting Aurielle. At her question, he nodded, “I’d say so, yes.”

A pleased grin parted his jaws as she said he’d been a great help. He liked being of assistance to others, so long as they were polite in asking for help. As she asked after Valhalla, he nodded. “ I am. Valhalla is a pack where unity, honor, courage, valor and integrity are valued. We encourage ambition and hard work. I’m working to become Sentinel, one of the Beta ranks. I feel it’s the best place for me to serve and better the pack.”

He might have been set back by falling off a mountain and breaking ribs and two legs in the process, but his high goals hadn’t changed. Valhalla had been his home from birth, and while it could technically be considered his or Artur’s birthright to be alpha of Valhalla, he didn’t desire the rank unless it meant he could better serve his pack. He fully approved of Aurielle’s leadership. He knew she loved her people and would sacrifice everything for them.

“Aurielle is our Spirit, or alpha. She’s fair, just, and will work herself to the bone for us to ensure we’re set for a good future.” His smile softened as he spoke of the woman. She’d been his mentor, thumped him into the ground more times than he could count, but had always done so only to teach him how to evade or counter such moves in the next breath.

Rhaegara

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
Tasha

Critical Hit!
07-09-2020, 10:24 PM

Yes, they were; packs, it was a strange name, but she supposed she could roll with it if that was the vernacular of the locale. He spoke more about his pack, noting that he seemed pleased that he’d been able to help her thus far. He went into detail about the pack ideals. Unity. Honor. Courage. Valor. Integrity. It reminded her of home, or, at the very least the home she thought it had been before the coup. Perhaps it hadn’t been so honorable, united or honest. It had been a lie shrouded in naitivity.

He was dedicated, she could hear it from the way he spoke to the glint in his eye and tonal meanings in his voice. They were things she’d been trained to detect when brokering trade deals because she’d been taught that anyone who hadn’t been her tribe were her enemy at the end, regardless of how long the peace lasted. It had been one of the more disheartening lessons she’d had to learned, but she had learned it well.

Lastly came the alpha’s name, Aurielle, called her the Spirit. A part of her sensed blasphemy in the name itself, but she brushed it off. Different customs meant different beliefs and religions, another lesson she’d been given. “She sounds like a kind and just ruler.” She said politely, saving the information hoping she never had to use it. “I’m sure you’d make a fine beta. I can tell you truly care for the wellbeing of your tr-pack.” She cut herself off from the word ‘tribe’ midsentence, correcting herself.

"Rhae" "Carlys"

Cairo II

Loner

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (295)

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Briena

07-09-2020, 10:47 PM

He gave an easy-natured smile at her observation, nodding. “She is. She loves seeing initiative in the pack to grow and better themselves. If someone is unhappy and wishes to leave, they need only tell her so that she knows they didn’t die out there somewhere, or get taken by slavers. She won’t hold them back.”

Something Artur didn’t seem to understand. If he was so unhappy there, why bother staying. He, Viviane, and Caelia would be fine. Speaking of, he ought to go on an herb gathering trip with Viv when he got back. Maybe seek out Meri and his kids. A passing smile flashed over his features as he made the decision. Some sibling time with his gentler-natured littermates would do them all good, and he wanted to get to know his brother’s kids.

“I hope so. If I work hard enough, I should be able to reach it by four years old. I fell off a mountain this last winter, though. Broke two legs and a few ribs and had to stay in the Armada for a few weeks until I was strong enough to take a journey home to Valhalla. They treated me well there, but I missed home.”

He chuckled ruefully. He was grateful to Sirius and Iolaire, Mortis, Indigo and Malalia especially for keeping him company when she could between duties. But he’d been scared he’d miss Aurielle’s birthing. After sitting through the screaming… he almost wished it had been a little longer, but the five bundles of stumbly joy were worth the hair-raising experience of hearing his Lady brought to screams and tears by bringing her firstborn into the world. Ardyn would be huge, and was easily the biggest pup in the litter. He could hardly wait to take the litter on their first mini-patrols around the territories.

Rhaegara

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
Tasha

Critical Hit!
07-09-2020, 10:56 PM

It was the mention of slavers that caught her off guard next; it was barbaric, to claim another wolf and force them to do one’s bidding. The alarm and disgust showed on her features. Slavers? I thought the practice of taking slaves was extinct. It’s barbaric.” She declared in alarm, rethinking being a loner until the winter months; there was a safety in numbers, especially with allies at your back. It was good that his alpha held such care in her heart for the members of Valhalla. Rhae herself liked to think she could have been the same had she been given the chance. “Do you know where the slavers operate out of? I’d very much prefer to avoid them.”

She also allowed wolves to leave at any time, again usefully information for her to store and potentially use. She had much to learn about these new and increasingly dangerous lands. She felt like she had only scratched the surface on customs, packs, and lands and now she learned she’d have to dodge slavers attempting to capture her and sell her into slavery? She could hardly fathom it.

The conversation shifted once more to a lighter topic, mentioning that he had broken two of his legs, a pained expression on her features to express her sympathy. She’d broken a rib once after taking a deer hoof to the chest and it hadn’t been fun, but to add two broken legs on top of that? She wasn’t sure she’d be able to bear that kind of pain, no matter how strong she pretended to be. “That sounds incredibly painful. I’m sorry you’ve had to endure such hardships. It must have been a long and grueling recovery.” She couldn’t help expressing sympathy in such a formal way; it’d been engrained into her since she was just a pup, and old habits were definitely hard to break.

"Rhae" "Carlys"

Cairo II

Loner

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (295)

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Briena

07-09-2020, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2020, 11:17 PM by Cairo II.)

He was mildly gratified by her shock at the word of slavers, showing that she shared the distaste for them. Regretfully, he could only say, “They don’t tend to stick in one place, and there are many bands out there. Aurielle’s mother and twin brother were taken when she and he were pups. Her father and the Nomads, our allies, managed to get them back eventually, but it took a long time. However that particular band of distastefulness was wiped out to the last wolf, and the slaves freed or taken in to repair their souls.”

He’d only been a newly-minted yearling when Regulus had returned with his frail wife and son at the meeting. He paused briefly as a memory occurred to him, “Abaven mentioned a run-in with one band though, the Hjarrandi. Apparently they captured a girl from their pack and sold her in a market among others.”

Gods if he’d known his own brother went to that market with the intention of buying someone, however roundabout the good intent might have been, he’d have been sickened.

He was glad for the lighter conversation, grinning. “It was hell.” He stated frankly. “It’s a good thing I had a friend there to visit and keep me company. I’d have gone mad with boredom. I owe her a spar, too.”

A grin flashed his teeth, tongue threatening to loll as he added cheerfully, “She’ll probably wipe the field with my tail this time around. Third time’s the charm.”

Rhaegara

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
Tasha

Critical Hit!
07-09-2020, 11:29 PM

She was grateful she’d been warned of these barbaric wolves before she had the misfortune to run into one. She still had a hard time wrapping her head around the idea, as the tribes of the north had banished the idea long ago… the closest they had were prisoners of war, who were treated with respect even then. Granted, there had not been a war for some years before she was born, so she herself had never witnessed a prisoner or a prisoner exchange like her father had. She had taken his word for it.

He told stories of the Hjarrandi, horror etching it’s way onto her features. She recalled the skittish wolf from Abaven she had met too long ago; no wonder she had been so hesitant to speak at first, the poor girl had probably thought she was a slaver after one of her own had been taken. “That’s horrific.” There must be something she could do… a way to protect wolves who would not be able to protect themselves.

She pushed the thought aside. She needed to worry about herself first, not others.

She made a note of the Hjarrandi; if she ever heard the name, she’d run the other direction… of course, that was only if they were in a group. A sole wolf? She’d challenge them, put them in their place… she’d just have to brush up on her fighting skills first.

When he stated it was hell, she nodded, understanding though she’d never entirely understand the pain he’d been in. She still couldn’t imagine not being able to use her legs. “Women have that power, don't they?” She teased lightly when he mentioned a girl wiping the field with him once more. Carlys giving her a quizzical look. She never joked around; she’d always been serious, dedicated to her tasks. Perhaps these new lands would be good for her. “I haven’t had the opportunity to spar in ages; I can actually feel my fighting skills turning to stone and breaking down.” She commented idly.

"Rhae" "Carlys"

Cairo II

Loner

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (295)

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Briena

07-10-2020, 12:19 AM

He nodded gravely in agreement to her words. “Infinitely.”

He grinned as she relaxed enough to lightly tease, nodding cheerfully, “Oh, most definitely. Aurielle’s my mentor, and she’s routinely introduced my face to the floor in our training spars.. then again, she’s gone up against bears and tigers often enough that I’m nothing in comparison.”

His slim, glowing white Spirit was no pushover. She bore the scars upon her shoulders to prove that even polar bears should give her a wide berth in passing. Her long upper canines provided her an edge in reaching the vitals of her opponents, and she rarely stayed in one spot to get hit, and even when she did take a hit, she was quick to get right back up and in the battle. He hadn’t witnessed it personally, but he had little trouble imagining the sylphlike woman in all her fury defending the pack.

He chuckled lightly at Rhaegara’s remark. “I haven’t gotten into any spars since I was deemed fit to resume training. It feels great just to run again.”

He nodded southward, adding, “There’s a battlefield that wolves often go to in search of spars, or homes. I should drop in there at some point. There’s also the occasional challenge for a pack. Tends to gain a crowd of watchers. Alphas attend to gauge the politics of things, whether the victor is the challenge or the defender. It’s good to know what kind of wolf they’ll be dealing with. And from what I’ve heard, challenges can devolve into fights all around.”

He hadn’t watched one, But Aurielle had watched a few, and he knew they could get crazy. “Were you looking to spar?” A light grin settled on his features as one brow point quirked skyward.

Rhaegara

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
Tasha

Critical Hit!
07-10-2020, 12:34 AM

She felt at ease, a strange rarity when around strangers. She supposed she’d been on the run for enough months that she figured if Rhen were to pursue her, he or one of his lackies would have found her and fought her already. She hadn’t participated in a spar or duel since the coup where she’d been forced to fight the girl she thought to be her best friend to the death. It’d left a grave impact on her, but it was time to get back into the swing, especially if there were slavers to worry about.

She let out a chuckle, not out of amusement but to show how impressed she was that the woman had fought bears and tigers. She did not think herself to be so brave and she wondered what the circumstances were that had made her fight such ferocious beasts. He mentioned further about his injuries and she nodded in understanding. “I can be difficult to get into the swing of things after being off for so much time.” She recalled vaguely healers warning her of broken bones and how injuries can persist after what was deemed a ‘full recovery’, but perhaps she had mistaken the words. She admittedly had never been much of a healer and had only taken the lessons because her parents had deemed it necessary. It had gone in one ear and out the other.

He spoke of a battlefield and she nodded. That they had in common. She remembered her first time to the fields, sparing against an heir apparent in an allying pack under the watchful eye of her father and his. She’d kicked his ass, and her father had been so proud.

She needed to stop living in the past.

“We have something similar where I’m from… though I’ve never witnessed a tr-pack challenge.” Again, she nearly slipped up, trying to adjust to the vernacular of the region. He asked if she was looking to spar and her ears perked, curiosity piqued. “Are you offering?” She asked with a wide grin splitting her features. “Are you okay to spar? I’d hate to accidentally aggravate an old injury and cause you pain or more recuperation time.” He was a stranger, in theory she shouldn’t care, but she did because he seemed like a nice man.

"Rhae" "Carlys"

Cairo II

Loner

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (295)

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Briena

07-10-2020, 01:16 AM

It seemed that he had a knack for putting others at ease. He exuded good grace and sweet nature. He wore his heart on his sleeve for the most part, though he was able to reserve himself and be a diplomat. She had seemingly relaxed in his company, enough to grin. He listened with some interest as she compared the cultures of challenges.

He chuckled lightly, head cocked as she spoke, “Our healer has cleared me for spars. Have you ever been up against an armored opponent?” It was an echo of his first meeting with Lia. He’d given the Armadan a lesson, and then they’d sparred. Then hunted shortly after. It was a time he thought back on fondly.

His tail swept lightly over the mossy ground as his ears perked lightly and a playful grin creasing his eyes. He certainly wasn't against teaching. He enjoyed it, and it would help this girl keep herself honed and more able to defend herself.

Rhaegara

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
Tasha

Critical Hit!
07-10-2020, 01:33 AM

He insisted that his healer had cleared him, and far be it from her to question the word of a healer. It was not her forte, and she had little interest in it. He asked another question; one she knew how to answer in a heartbeat as she frowned. She’d noticed the armor earlier but hadn’t known what to make of it; she’d been preoccupied with the strange land and talk of slavers. “I have not, nor have I seen such contraptions on wolves before.” She admitted, hating that she was showing weakness, but knowing that she’d need some proper instruction.

She’d been out of it for quite some time, so she knew herself unlikely to win a spar, even if he himself had also just gotten back into the fray after suffering an injury. “The armor offers extra protection; any advice for how to get around it?” It was ironic, asking her sparring partner for advice on how to defeat him, a soft chuckle falling off her maw as she realized the irony.

"Rhae"  "Carlys"

Cairo II

Loner

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (295)

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Briena

07-10-2020, 01:56 AM

He smiled gently as she admitted she didn’t know and had never seen armor on a wolf before. Much as he had with Lia, he rose to his paws, turning side-on to the younger wolf.

“It makes lovely protection, indeed. But like difficult prey animals, there are still soft spots or chinks. For instance, mine doesn’t cover my throat or neck, and the drapes at the side are just leather. If an opponent’s muzzle gets under that they have access to my belly and flank. It’s up to me to keep myself out of such a situation. The openings for my front legs also leave me vulnerable just behind the foreleg if my opponent is very precise and accurate.”

He nodded backward at Chrystal, adding, “I don’t know if Carlys fights beside you, but Chrystal can also run – or fly – interference, distracting an opponent, and her talons are sharp and can deal damage.”

He grinned and shifted to face the girl, lifting a bracered paw and letting her get a look at the bear claws and the way the bracers guarded his forelegs. “These are offensive pieces. I can swipe out and slash with the claws and deal better damage than with my natural claws. They’re also really useful for everyday things, like cutting leather for crafting, cutting meat from a carcass into strips to dry or cook on the fire. Or, hell, to dig out a hare from its warren.”

His head cocked lightly in a grin, tail waving slowly behind him before he shook himself out with a click and tinkle of metal from around his neck.

Rhaegara

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
Tasha

Critical Hit!
07-10-2020, 02:04 AM

He turned to the side, giving her a full look at the strange armor that wrapped around him. She couldn’t help but wonder how difficult it had been to get on and off, if he ever took it off that was. He explained it’s weak points and she made mental notes: throat, neck, underneath the sides because they were just leather, which would allow access to his belly and flank. I need to get some armor for myself. She made a mental note of it, knowing it would only help her in the bizarre lands she had found herself in.

Then he brought up Carlys, to whom Rhae glanced. Carlys gave her a look, and Rhaegara spoke for both of them. “She and I haven’t trained to fight together; it was against fight etiquette in the tribe. In the past, she’s been my eyes from above, and helps that way.” It had damn near saved her life as the raven had spotted a dangerous blow during the trial by combat, allowing her enough time to dodge. She was certain if her and Carlys worked at it enough, the raven could help in the fight itself, but that was a conversation they’d have to have later. These lands were different, and the rules were different as well.

He then showed off his offensive armor, armor that dealt damage. She was intrigued and she couldn’t fight back the questions anymore. “Where did you get these?” She asked, knowing that she definitely wanted some for herself. He had mentioned crafting. “Did you make these for yourself?”

"Rhae"  "Carlys"