gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7
08-15-2020, 12:13 PM

Skælingr followed the scent of pine as he maneuvered through the thicket. He was out of pine glue and eager to get more so he could use it in his crafting. Word had gone through the land that a pack named Valhalla was going to be holding a festival and he wanted to make sure he had plenty of items to trade. He moved from tree to tree, searching for sap and signs of injury that he could utilize. He could always damage the bark himself but he'd rather search for an area where the sap was already leaking from the tree.

Soon he found a pine tree with an injury where the sticky sap was leaking from the bark. It looked good and soft, not dry and hard. Skælingr slipped out from his travois and pulled out a small ceramic bowl which he set at the base of the tree. Hunting around on the ground he found a small stick and took it in his jaws. Carefully he stuck the stick into the injury and started gathering the sap into his bowl. He had a small fire going in a clearing that would hopefully be burning down to coals by now.

"Speech"

Allegro

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Athena I

Samhain 20221K
08-15-2020, 01:36 PM
Allegro didn't intend on going very far when he decided to venture out of Abaven's lands for a bit, but he did want to get out for a little while and just stretch his legs a bit. He really hadn't crossed back over Abaven's borders since he returned and now he was mostly just determined to be able to start working on rebuilding the muscle he had lost while he was recovering from his broken leg. He'd done a bit of that in the last few weeks as he started to slowly start hunting more and more, but there was still a lot of progress to be made. At the very least his leg had stopped bothering him for the most part so that was when he decided he could dare to venture out into the unclaimed areas of Boreas.

He wandered into the rustling thicket with half the idea to do a bit of hunting while he was here and gather up a few smaller prey animals, but other than that he really had no idea what he was looking for here. It was putting miles under his paws so that was all he really cared about. He wound his way through the thickly growing trees and quickly began to realize that the underbrush here was pretty difficult to navigate through. He climbed through the tall grasses and bushes and in his efforts to work his way through the thicket he stumbled upon another wolf accidentally, stepping out into the clearing near the pine tree it looked like he was collecting something from. "Oh! Hello," he said, looking at the mostly cream colored wolf. "Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude. It's so easy to get turned around in here," he added with a chuckle as he offered the other man an apologetic smile.

Skælingr

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7
08-15-2020, 02:08 PM

Skælingr gathered all the pine sap he wanted and started heading back to his fire. Just as he arrived another wolf appeared. The man looked to be about his age. Skælingr set down his bowl so he could speak. "That's alright. I'm just working on a little project here. If you like you're welcome to join me for a bit. My name is Skælingr." He picked the bowl back up and set it the hot coals. He then grabbed a stick and maneuvered some of the ash into the pine sap, stirring gently as he did so. He much preferred using crushed, dry charcoal to rabbit poop. Settling down to the let the fire do its thing he turned back to the stranger. "What brings you out to the thicket, hunting?" Skælingr had seen a lot of prey in the area so it wouldn't surprise him if he was in a popular hunting territory.

"Speech"

Allegro

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Athena I

Samhain 20221K
08-16-2020, 10:42 PM

He was glad that the stranger he had stumbled upon was of the friendly sort and welcomed him to join him by the fire the was working from. Allegro padded closer as the ivory man introduced himself and he gave the man a friendly nod in return. "Pleasure to meet you, Skælingr. I'm Allegro." He settled down onto his haunches and watched as the man added some of the ash to the bowl he had been carrying and proceeded to stir it in to what looked to be tree sap. Allegro watched the process curiously for a while, but didn't question what he was doing since he didn't want to interrupt or make him put down the stick he was using as a tool to stir. Once he did put it down though and listened to the question of what he was doing out in this thicket he gave a nod to confirm the man's guess. "That's one of the main reasons. I have been out and about much lately so I mostly just wanted to get out and stretch my legs, but I figured if I did some hunting then at least it'd be a productive outing." He nodded toward the bowl that Skælingr had been working from and asked, "What're you making there?"

"Talk"

Skælingr

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7
08-21-2020, 07:15 PM

Skælingr kept an eye on his project and the sap, making sure it didn't start to boil. Pine sap was terribly flammable and the last thing he needed to do was catch the thicket on fire. The man introduced himself as Allegro and he settled down to watch as Skælingr worked. "I noticed you smell of pack. Is there a pack near these lands then? As for what I'm making, its called pine pitch. It's like a sort of glue. It can be useful for making other things. If you want I'm happy to share my bowls and fire." He picked up another stick and stirred the sap until it started to darken in color and become thick.

Using a stick he hooked the bowl and gently moved it from the fire to a stone where it could cool a bit and where he could work more closely with it without getting his nose right near the fire. He took a stick in his mouth and gently stuck it in the sticky, tar-like mixture. Rotating the stick he carefully gathered the substance onto the stick before setting the un sticky end down in the dirt to hold it up while it finished drying. He could've left it in the bowl and stored it that way but he opted for the stick this time. When it was done he'd just wrap it in a scrap piece of hide and store it that way. When it was time to use the pitch he'd he'd it over a fire to soften it back up.

"Speech"

Allegro

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Athena I

Samhain 20221K
08-23-2020, 12:08 PM

Allegro watched the man work curiously once he explained that he was making something called pine pitch. He could think of a bunch of things that an adhesive would be useful for and he was suddenly grateful that he had stumbled upon the man. It was one of those things that he wasn't sure where he would learn it otherwise and hadn't even known he wanted to know until he saw it in practice. To the question over his pack, Allegro nodded in response and told him, "Yes - it's called Abaven. It just slightly south east of here in fact. I clearly didn't get that far from the borders when I stumbled into you." He grinned and chuckled a little at himself. It wasn't like he had really been planning on going that far, but he had certainly thought he might get farther than this. He wasn't disappointed though - this had turned out to be a much more productive outing than he had anticipated. He watched Skælingr collect the pine pitch onto the end of a stick and stuck it in the ground so that it could dry. He hadn't really intended on taking him up on the offer of borrowing his bowls and fire, but the more he watched the more he wanted to try. "You know what... maybe I will give it a try."

He picked up the bowl that Skælingr had finished using - not wanting to dirty another bowl in the process - and went back to the tree that he had first seen him collecting sap from. Setting it at the base of the tree, he grabbed a stick that was laying near by and started collecting the sap with the stick and guiding it into the bowl. It took him a bit longer than it had taken Skælingr to complete the task since he wasn't used to holding sticks like this and using them as tools, but he got the job done. Bringing his collection back over to the fire, he started trying to replicate the steps he had been watching Skælingr do. Once he was done he had something that looked pretty similar to what the man had created, though he worried that maybe he had over cooked it a bit. Over all he didn't think it was too bad for his first try. He looked at the creation with a grin, his gold-marked tail wagging gently behind him. Maybe he'd have to figure out some other stuff he could craft using this glue now that he had it. It'd certainly give him something to do while he was waiting on his leg to finish fully healing so he could get back to hunting full time.

"Talk"

Skælingr

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7
08-24-2020, 07:59 PM

Skælingr filed the name of the pack away. Abaven. While he and his wife did not plan to join a pack yet it was a good thing to know about the packs in the surrounding area. He stretched out and watched Allegro work, grinning as the man went about creating his own stick of pine pitch. "There you go, you pick this up quick." So many of Skæ's projects required pine pitch and even those that didn't could some times benefit from it. At the moment his travois was held together with notches and cordage but he wondered if adding a little pine pitch to the knots would help it hold better. It was something to try any way.

Skælingr took his own pine pitch and wrapped it up in a piece of scrap hide which he added to a bundle on his travois. he got to his feet and stretched. "I should probably be on my way. My wife is expecting me for dinner. It was nice to meet you Allegro. I hope we cross paths again."

-end?-

"Speech"

ooc: If you want to keep going let me know!