gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7
08-18-2020, 07:09 PM

Skælingr found a nice place away from the crowd to work on making a bit more rope. Now that Sowelu had joined him he might actually be able to get some made. Skælingr set down the piece of deer hide he was using to carry the yucca leaves. They were tricky to harvest and tricky to carry, the leaves of this particular variety were sharp and he didn't care to have them in his mouth any longer than he had to. Selecting one large leaf he picked it up and set it down on a long flat stone. Determined to try and do a bit of this himself he picked up another stone in his mouth and dropped it on the yucca plant to try and loosen the fibers. After doing this a few times he set the rock down on top of the plant and tried leaning over with his paws.

Sowelu watched with amusement then started laughing at his friends struggles. "Ok, ok, this is painful to watch. Let me help." The lemur grabbed a stone in his nimble hands and brought it crashing down on the leaf, blow after blow.

Skælingr took a moment to lick the taste of mud and rock out of his mouth, yuck! "I'm jealous, Lu. You have no idea how hard it is to make nice things with large, awkward paws." Still, he was determined to help. When they finished the first leaf and started on another Skælingr alternated between dropping the rock and laying it down and doing a partial hop to force his body weight onto the stone.

"Speech"

Aoife

Loner

Intermediate Intellectual (35)

Advanced Fighter (110)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Balanced
player
Tealah

Samhain 2022Statue 3 WorshipThe Ooze Participant1K
08-26-2020, 04:35 AM
Bouncing along exploring everything, Aoife's attention was captured by a sharp clacking sound like rocks being slammed together. Turns out, it was rocks being slammed together, and the pup watched with fascination while the wolf and his companion squished a plant netween the rocks. The wolf complained about how difficult it was to do things with his paws, and Aoife immediately perked up and drifted closer, her eyes fixed eagerly on the working pair. Was this it? The opportunity for another trade? "I can help!" she piped up, popping up next to her newest very best friend and beaming at him. "I can hold the rock with my paws too!" She reared up and raised her forelegs, looking for all the world like a little red panda as she splayed her dextrous toes and gave them a wiggle to demonstrate their flexibility. Jazz hands. She dropped back to her paws and inspected the whole setup with curiosity. "Whatcha makin anyway? You squishin' it to make tea?" she asked, proud of remembering the thing she had only recently learned the existence of.

Skælingr

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7
08-27-2020, 06:24 PM

Skælingr worked diligently. Pausing only when he heard a high pitched voice offering to help and suddenly there was a tiny child right next to him. Where on earth had she come from?! He glanced around for a moment then set his rock down. As he did so she leaned back on her hind legs to show her dexterous paws. He was a bit concerned that he didn't see the girls parents. He certainly didn't want to get in trouble but then it seemed pups were running all over the place. Likely the mother was relaxing nearby and getting some rest while keeping an eye on things. "Well, if you want to help we do have plenty of yucca leaves." He picked up an untouched one and set it down near her but still on the stone. He chuckled at the thought of tea. "Well… I suppose you could make tea out of it but we're making rope. See these fibers?" He ran his claws down the paler, stringy bits of the leaf. "We're using the rocks to break up the green squishy stuff we don't want and then we'll scrape it off so we can use the fibers to make rope."

Skælingr moved to demonstrate. Once the yucca leaf was mashed and the leaves broken it was time to take something sharp and scrap the flesh off so they could get right to the fibers. Sowelu took a sharp rock and started scrapping. Skælingr picked up a bone fragment that he had sharpened and chipped to form a knife. He put a paw down on either end of the leaf and started scrapping with his head. He had to pause halfway through as he felt a kink in his neck. Oof, what he wouldn't give for the girls thumbs! Still, he wasn't going to be deterred.

Once the flesh was scraped off and the fibers fully revealed it was time to strip off a chunk of the fibers based on how thick he wanted the rope to be. He didn't need something super thick. This was more for making himself a new travois. He pulled a chunk of the fibers away and looked to see Sowelu was doing the same. He paused in what he was doing. "My name is Skæ by the way, and this is my friend Sowelu."

"Speech"

Aoife

Loner

Advanced Fighter (110)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Balanced
player
Tealah

09-07-2020, 10:18 PM
The older man agreed to let her help, and Aoife gave an excited hop in place and a soft yippee. Oh, they were making rope! Since it built on a skill she'd already been practicing, she was definitely excited to see this new method of making rope. She watched carefully as he demonstrated how to squish the leaves properly, then rocked back on her butt, picked up a stone in her paws, and smashed it down on the rock with a wet clink. Her tail wagged hard, raising a little cloud of dust behind her that she completely ignored as she hefted the rock again. And again. And again. It might have been boring if she wasn't concentrating so hard on getting it to look like his. It was hard work too, for muscles unaccustomed to lifting rocks, but she stuck her tongue out stubbornly and kept going. When he and the companion set their rocks aside, she did too. Oh thank the stars. They picked up sharp things, and started scraping. Well, she'd help with this part too, it was easy! Hunting around, she picked up a sharp rock too, and started scraping at the mashed plant. Slowly the fibers he'd been talking about were revealed, just like he'd said, and Aoife gave an excited wiggle at her success. Partial success. She kept working at it until it looked right, then stopped to watch him again. When he took off a chunk of fibers, she did the same. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't complete garbage either. While she did, he took a moment to introduce himself, and Aoife grinned at him, wriggling. "I'm Aoife Adravendi it's nice to meet you Mister Skae and Mizz Sowelu!"

Skælingr

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7
09-10-2020, 08:49 PM

Skælingr took the yucca fibers and divided them in half. He took the left side and twisted it, taking the far strand and then folding it over and twisting it again, making sure to roll toward the inside. He was tough work for him. He used his paws to hold the twist and keep the strands lined up while using his teeth to move the fibers and twist. While the process was going slower for him it was going fairly quick for Sowelu. The lemurs deft fingers wrapped the and twisted the yucca swiftly into a rope.

Once Sowelu had his section done he took more fibers and matched them up with the loose ends of his first section. He bent the new section in half and put it between the old ones then used them to form new twists. Skælingr watched for a moment then focused back on his section. They needed a few good pieces of rope to at least secure the main parts of the travois. He could then try sealing some of the rungs with pine pitch.

The girl introduced herself as Aoife Adravendi. "You're quite talented Aoife, a quick learner! Are you training to be a craftsman for your pack?" He wasn't entirely sure what sort of ranks the packs had but he wouldn't be surprised if some prioritized crafting.

When he eventually had a good piece of rope he sealed the ends in pine pitch. He wasn't quite sure how this was going to work but it was worth a shot.

"Speech"

Aoife

Loner

Advanced Fighter (110)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Balanced
player
Tealah

10-12-2020, 08:15 PM
Aoife stopped to watch again while Skaelingr and his companion both worked at twisting their fibers together. Oh, that wasn't so different from braiding grass or strips of leather. That should be easy to pick up.

Tongue between her teeth in concentration, she carefully began mimicking them. Well, mimicking the companion, more so, since she had hands a lot like Aoife's. Twist, twist. Splice in more fibers. Twist some more. Slowly, a slightly-lumpy rope emerged from her paws. It was far from perfect, but she'd been getting good practice in with braiding, and the cordage slowly stabilized and tightened up as she got into a rhythm with it.

She flushed with pleasure when he complimented her learning, and she wriggled in place, trying to be careful not to mess up the rope as she did. "Thank you, Mister Skae," she said politely, then grinned up at him. "Nah I'm gonna be a fighter! The best fighter in my pack! An' I wanna make music too, an' go on adventures. But I'll probably make my own music inst'aments, so kind of like a crafter I guess," she added on thoughtfully. She wondered how much all this learning to braid would help her with learning to make instruments and such...