gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7
09-27-2020, 02:19 PM

It was a gorgeous day, the sun was shining and a few white clouds wandered through the sky. He and his wife were on a little trip to the great river to just enjoy the day together. When they arrived he immediately set about getting a fire started. There weren't a lot of large rocks around so he decided to dig a fire pit that he could put his kindling and wood into. Skælingr took his paws and immediately started scrapping to dig a pit. Every so often he looked up to take in the sights around him. That's when he saw it.

Skælingr paused in digging the fire pit as he spied a large flat rock. Ok, he wanted that. Skælingr paused in what he was doing and scooted the rock over toward his travois. He needed a good flat rock for his pottery. He reached in his travois and picked up a rabbit skin wrapped around a lump of clay. He set it down and rolled the lump out onto the stone, perfect. And while he was here he could get his kindling.

"Speech"

Ragna

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
09-27-2020, 02:20 PM

Ragna searched for a good place to settle down and work, a bundle of peppermint in her mouth. She intended to make some tea for her sore throat and a poultice of the leaves for a healing sprain. She'd been in a number of large predator fights and now all she wanted to do was relax. Thankfully, her husband had recommended a day at the river and she was all to happy to agree.

Ragna set her plants down and got a fire going. Once it was going well she turned her attention back to the peppermint plants. In order to make tea and a poultice she'd need the leaves. Settling one of the plants between her paws she set about peeling the leaves off with her teeth. One by one she worked through the plants until she had a nice pile which she then divided into smaller piles, one for the tea, one for the poultice.

Pestilence

Loner

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Medium
player

All Oozed OutThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 1BeeventBronze Medal 2020Critical Fail!
1KValentines 2020VolcanoTreat 2019
09-27-2020, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2020, 05:53 PM by Pestilence.)

Pesto took to spending her days off away from the smelly herds of Fireside and furthermore away from the pack members whom she'd embarrassed herself in front of. She might never be able to look Valdis in the eye again after the woman came to her aid; Pesto was so overconfident in her win that she hadn't even howled to alert anyone of the intruder. Stupid, stupid. Her neck still pained her, but it was healing enough for evenings away from Fireside. If she saw a predator or unfriendly wolf she'd likely just need to run, she knew better now to initiate a fight when she wasn't fully recovered. That was her downfall with Viper.

Two other wolves were already relaxing along the river and while Pestilence considered finding a more solitary place to rest her paws, her neck was bothering her and she knew that walking even further could irritate the stitches more. She resigned to share the day, padding cautiously up to the duo to introduce herself. It was the safest option, to be able to suss out their intentions and personalities so she could know ahead of time if she was in any danger staying nearby them. "Do you mind if I rest here a while?" The yearling asked with a hesitant smile, settling down a few meters off from them and wrapping her tail around her hind paws. Along behind her padded Pasketti, her money companion who followed her everywhere. He'd been harassing Pesto to reshape and sharpen her battle claws for a season now, and as he saw the fire take life between the couple the monkey tugged her tail and gestured, subtly dropping her weapon at her paws and clearing his throat.

"Speech"
"Thinking"
"You."

Skælingr

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7
09-27-2020, 04:31 PM

Skælingr strolled to his travois and pulled out a bundle of sticks and wood logs for preparing a fire. He trotted back to the fire then set down two logs leaving a space between them. Next he set two more crosswise on top of the first two, continuing to leave a space for the kindling and tinder. Skælingr moved to the kindling bundle and took a number of small sticks added them to the middle. He carefully arranged them then added dead leaves and pine needles on top for kindling. There that was done.

He looked up at the sound of someone coming and saw a black and white yearling heading toward them. She asked if she could join them and he looked to his wife. She smiled back and nodded. "Sure, go right ahead. We're just taking in a nice summer day. Relaxing a bit, hobbies and the like. My name is Skælingr."

Skælingr meandered back over to the lump of clay just sitting there on the rock and he began to work and knead it. He wanted to make sure he got any air bubbles out of the clay so it would break or crack as it dried. Especially as he planned to fire these eventually. Once he was sure it was well kneaded he rolled it into a rough spherical shape.

"Speech"

Ragna

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
09-27-2020, 04:31 PM
———————————

Ragna moved over to her travois and took out a deer hide bundle. Inside were two ceramic bowls. She took them out and then measured out an ounce of the leaves into one bowl and an ounce into the other. Picking up a piece of deer antler she pushed the flat end down onto the herbs to bruise them. It was then a yearling approached them looking in need of rest. Skælingr looked to her and she nodded and smiled as best she could with the antler in her mouth. She set it aside and looked for a moment at the girls injured neck. "Do you need any help with that injury?" It looked like it was being tended to but she didn't know if the girl might benefit from something to ease pain or soreness. They were a decent ways from any packs, as far as she knew anyways. She felt she ought to at least offer. "My name is Ragna."

Pestilence

Loner

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Medium
player

All Oozed OutThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 1BeeventBronze Medal 2020Critical Fail!
10-04-2020, 02:52 PM

The pair appeared friendly enough, and Pesto wasn't a suspicious enough type to need much more encouragement to relax. She manuevered down onto her stomach with a groan, shooting a glare towards her monkey as she scooped up the tarnished claws in her paws. "It is a beautiful day." She replied amicably. "I'm afraid I don't have too many hobbies to pass the days away with. I enjoy a good spar most of all but uh, that's not in the cards for me for a while yet." Pesto hoped desperately that her injury would heal soon so she could get back to doing the activities she enjoyed best.

The woman's question caught her ear and Pesto turned her head towards her. It wouldn't do much harm, would it? Alarr didn't seem the type to be offended that she'd taken medical help from somebody else, though there was always the possibility that a novice healer might ruin his hard work in stitching. "If you'd like, it is quite sore today." She angled her head away, so that the healing injury might be seen by the stranger. Pesto was not a stranger to battle wounds and while she knew nothing of healing, she knew to sit back shut up and let a proficient wolf do their jobs.

To the man she turned back to, giving the woman time to observe and decide if she had a way to ease the pain or help the injury. "You seem skilled, would you by chance know how to fix the steel in my claws? They're getting quite worn, I'd hate to need to re-do the whole thing." She eyed his fire, knowing it was necessary somehow in shaping steel but not quite confident enough to simply approach and attempt it herself. "My name is Pesto." A hurried afterthought - it'd been too long since she'd met strangers needing introduction that she'd nearly forgotten the process.

"Speech"
"Thinking"
"You."

Skælingr

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7
10-09-2020, 01:05 PM

Skælingr continued to work the clay before centering it in the middle of his workspace. Taking his paw he curled his toes and pressed it into the center of the sphere, slowly working his paw out from the middle to the sides to make a rough bowl shape. Then taking his paw pads he dipped his paw into a bit of water and began to sculpt the clay into a bowl shape.

"Oh? Well, I highly recommend hobbies. It's a nice break in the regular routine of survival."

With the bowl done he'd need to actually get the fire going. He dug about in the bundles on his travois and pulled out a chunk of flint which he set on the fire ring. He then grabbed a piece of steel. He set one paw on the flint to hold it steady. Then, with the steel in his teeth, he twisted his head sharply so that the steel struck against the flint. He did this several times, pausing to adjust the steel in his teeth until at last the kindling caught a spark and slowly grew into a small flame. Skælingr gently maneuvered the stick onto the fire so the rest of the kindling could catch.

He turned to the girl who introduced herself as Pestilence and thought for a moment about her request. "Fix the steel? Is it that they're getting dull? If so there are ways to sharpen them. If they're bent that would be a bit more complicated." It would be difficult to get a fire hot enough to fully shape the metal.

"Speech"

Ragna

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
10-09-2020, 01:06 PM

Ragna grinned as the smell of peppermint wafted into the air. She enjoyed the smell. Taking her water flask she dumped a pint of water into the bowl that would make her tea and then a bit into the bowl for the poultice. It was just enough to get the leaves wet. She scooted both bowls toward the fire. She wanted the tea to at least get to a simmer but as soon as the poultice mixture was warm she retrieved it from the fire and mashed it up into a paste. Once that was done she picked up the bowl and trotted over toward the girl. "I think this should help. It'll calm some of the swelling and cool the wound a bit." She also hoped that the menthol in the mint would help to numb the wound a little. It wouldn't end the pain but hopefully it would make it a bit more bearable for the girl.

Pestilence

Loner

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Medium
player

10-13-2020, 10:54 PM

Pesto kept her eyes upon the man's own craft as the woman stepped forward with a bowl of a sweet smelling medicine. "Sounds good! Go ahead." She gave her a reassuring smile before looking back to the man, her muscles tensing as she waited for it to be applied to her wound. Many treatments stung almost as much as the wound did - Pesto swallowed hard with anticipation but tried to keep her focus upon Skae and tried to remember what he'd asked.

With a quick glance towards her claws she gave a murmur of consideration. "Hmm, no, I think sharpening them would do fine. They're curved to begin with, I don't think it needs to be perfect to do some damage. What would you suggest?" He appeared to be proficient, chances are he knew how to repair metal much better then she did.

"Speech"
"Thinking"
"You."

Skælingr

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
lunarcat7
10-15-2020, 06:37 PM

Skælingr examined the weapons, eyeing the metal for a moment. He trotted back over to his travois and started rooting around in the bundles there before he found the one he was looking for. It was a gray rabbit skin which he set on the ground and unrolled to reveal a number of metal sticks and strikers. He picked up one and walked back over toward the claws before setting the stick down. "You could try this. You'll rub it against the claws in the angle you want to sharpen them. You'll want to use long, smooth strokes and only go in one direction, not back and forth. Like this." He picked up the stick in his mouth, angled it against the claw and pushed. He then pulled his head back making sure not to touch metal against metal before lining it up and pushing again. He set the metal stick down by the girl. "You can use your paw to steady it if need. I wish I had an easier way but this should work for you."

"Speech"