size
Large
build
Medium
player
Mateo
05-11-2021, 01:39 PM

'We choose our own path, knowing full well what we're doing...'

I felt my jaw clench together tight enough to create a dull ache. His words ran through my mind on repeat, forming a destructive path leading to a feeling of isolationism and guilt. My eyes gazed up at the sky, taking in the elusive glow of the stars, each one fading in and out in a rhythmic sort of pattern as their light strained to reach out tiny little planet from light-years away. I envied them.

'What? You gonna shutdown like this every time we train?'

That's the last thing he said to me on my assessment day. I fought the warm tears brimming along the underside of my eyes. A suffocating ball lodged itself in my chest and forced me to take calculated breaths in and out to keep myself from spilling over the edge. His voice wasn't his anymore. And it made me sick to my stomach. Karma knew what both our guardians had become... allowing that woman to orchestrate his final ceremony - Who in the FUCK did she think she was! Orbs shut tight as I finally felt the tears spill over and down the side of my face, dripping along the rim of my ears and then onto the grass.

"Im not a god, Father."
My voice cracked even at a whisper. I remembered the first time I told him that. Snorting, I felt a faint grin appear on the side of my muzzle. He had lost it at my seeming to be disrespectful comparison. I suppose I should be thankful for my fur growing back along my body, lest someone see the scars that lay hidden underneath. Times like this I wish I had someone else to talk to about this. Anyone other than the void in my own mind and the growing demon skulking around the back of my mind. My breath shuddered in my chest as I gulped in a big inhale, and gradually let it out, allowing my eyes to open once again to the dark skies.

I didn't have a clue what point of the night it was. I arrived on these plains around sunset and that felt like eons ago. I felt like I could faintly see where the sun would be rising within the hour out on the horizon but even that could be a trick of the mind. It was in the wee hours of the morning and I knew that I was on pack lands. This had to be the Hallows that Eska was talking about. It had been long enough of me venturing out on my own, trying to pick up bits and pieces of information from loners and passersby about what I really needed to know. I needed to be serious about this if I was going to make it back home in time... If he was even still around. Which is what led me here. I needed to find an expert who knew about the body. Maybe then I could pair that information with what I knew about biological alchemy and finally be able to - who was I kidding. I needed a witch doctor at this point.

The sky had shifted from deep night to having the absolute faintest of light blanketing over its surface. I could hear birds beginning to chirp in the trees off to the distance and the occasional squirrel could be heard shuffling around in the grass a ways off. I closed my eyes as I laid on my back, stretching my paws up into the air and then rolling over onto my belly, laying my head down onto my paws. The grass and moonless nighttime atmosphere obscured me from sticking out like a sore thumb. The illumination was only coming from the stars and eventually the rising sun. Game plan for today? I needed to speak with someone in The Hallows.

"Speech"

Ulric

Loner

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
player

The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3Double MasterIce Bridge ExplorerMammoth HunterBeevent
1KCritical Hit!
05-11-2021, 04:24 PM
It was steadily becoming easier for him to just not attempt sleep unless he was too exhausted to do otherwise. He felt sure that at some point he would have thought every thought that he could possibly think and yet somehow his mind managed to find more to keep him awake. He realized at some point that he was just looping the same thoughts and memories again and again and that pushed him out of the castle onto yet another patrol. He felt slightly better about it since he had his Baron and Templars in place and he knew they would be watching the borders as well, but there was still that part of him that just couldn't rest until he checked them himself.

He moved around the edge of the plains, marking the border and checking for scents of any wolves that were not Hallows wolves. Occasionally he'd find the scent of Sirius or Briar coming and going between here and the Armada and those he he just skipped over, paying them no mind. They were family at this point in his eyes and he had stopped trying to keep track of them coming into his territory. However, he did find one that was completely new to him and it was fairly fresh as well. That made him pause and lift his head with a frown, looking back over the plains. It was barely morning at this point with just the faintest hint of light peeking over the horizon. The fact that someone had crossed his borders seemingly in the dead of night without announcing their presence didn't sit well with him.

Slightly on edge, Ulric followed the trail into the plains and soon found a pale male that was splattered with segments of charcoal gray and red hidden in the taller grass, laying with his head on his paws, seemingly asleep or close to it. His brows drew together while he did his best to not jump to conclusions or let his exhaustion tip over into irritation. He cleared his throat to get the male's attention as he stood behind him, waiting till orange-hued eyes looked up at him. "You shouldn't be out here on your own at night," he said first, his concern for others outweighing most else. "We've had a lot of dangerous animals attacking the pack lately." Saber cats, giant dire wolves... what next? "I'm Ulric, the Aegis of The Hallows. The alpha. What has you on our lands?"

Ulric Adravendi

Cíel

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Mateo
05-11-2021, 11:12 PM

Heavy eyelids threatened to lower as I laid there in that patch of grass - contemplating on how early in the morning should I call for someone to meet me here. Hell... I didn't know any from around these parts and I could only pray that the one that I did meet wasn't as edgy as Sirius when I first met him. Although... I didn't want a pushover either. I'd judge the authority of the pack immediately. I felt my harks flick off a few buzzing flies before the sound of grass shifting caught my attention. This wasn't a squirrel. The sound was similar to heavy paws coming closer and I rose my head just to make sure my suspicions were correct.

It's a bit early for someone to be up and around here...isn't it?"

I was really banking on having a few more hours to myself before talking to anyone, but I suppose that the universe had other plans for me. Well enough... I had been here for hours before being found this early any how. It was a surprise that I was able to stay hidden this long.

I kept my head low on the ground until whoever it was came close enough to be only a few yards behind me. My tail shifted to the side of my body and I couldnt help the prickling of fur on the back of my neck. Lackadaisically, I lifted my skull and turned it around to face the being that found my 'hiding spot'. His throat clearing prompted my body to rise and turn to face him full on.

""You shouldn't be out here on your own at night..."

My expression faltered at the pretentiousness of his first impression.
"Yeah. Neither should you."
I was an adult wolf... not some pup that needed to be in a den before dark. And big he may be, but against what I've heard is out here...he was still only one wolf. I bit my tongue and kept my mouth was kept shut however, fearing for the comments that may spew out of it. Usually I was complacent, even this morning my mind was more pliable than I generally found myself to be in. I account my flustered emotions to be the cause of it. But even I had my pressure points. The large male went on to mention something about recent attacks and I felt my brow furrow thinking how this resonated with all the rest of the accounts that I was hearing about. Perhaps it was more common in this region?

"So i've heard..."
My voice was reserved, wary of what he knew and what he thought of my presence being here. I was well aware now of why every pack member was on edge. It would be well to assume that the loners would be more on guard too but it didn't make sense why they weren't - at least not the ones that I've met along my journey. He introduced himself as Ulric, and I dipped my head respectively in response. I counted myself as audacious , even egotistical at the best of times. But i've had it beat into me that there was a time and a place for that shit, and when to give respect. Even if I didn't particually believe that everyone deserved it just because of a title...

"Ciel Mortifico, Sir."
I brought my head back up to full height, keeping my body relaxed and tail limp behind me.
'The Alpha, huh? Here he called it an Aegis. That's interesting... It seems fitting though that he would be the one to be awake roaming at this hour.'

I flashed over the plan in my head once more before thinking of my next comment. I needed to be tactful in how I went about this.
"I was sent out by Sirus... I'm well aware of the attacks that have been going about. I'm here to inquire about them in hopes of putting them to rest."
Well... it was true for me at least. I didn't know about everyone else.
"Or at least stifling them for the season."
Fathers face glimmered into my brain and I pushed away the notion. My thoughts had a habit of threatening me with the most ridiculous of reminders at the most inconvenient of moments.

"You see, this problem has a personal meaning to me. Being close enough to your packlands, I was anticipating that I'd have the opportunity to converse with one of your healers. I am an Alchemist by trade."
Ears fell marginally as what I may be reffering to.
"Not that i'm hurt per say, though it would be more for a defense than an afterthought..."

"Speech"

Ulric

Loner

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
player

The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3Double MasterIce Bridge ExplorerMammoth HunterBeevent
1KCritical Hit!
05-15-2021, 03:36 PM
He saw the flicker of something in his expression when he mentioned how he shouldn't be out on his own at night, clearly not pleased with the comment. He didn't care who it was, the statement stood for anyone. The only reason he made the exception for himself was because he knew his own skills and never went farther than a reasonable distance from the group of talented fighters that he had at his back. This wolf didn't have that excuse. In reality Ulric had no reason to be protective or concerned over a stranger who had invaded his territory, but he was a kind and gentle man, despite his size. He'd always be concerned until he was given a reason to not be.

He nodded quietly when Ciel introduced himself, still watching him questioningly while he waited for an answer for the reason why he was here in the first place. Soon enough he began to get an answer and he lifted a questioning brow when he mentioned Sirius. He didn't smell the Armada's scent on him, but perhaps he was a newer member. Though if that was the case, what would the Warlord chose this man to go out on such a task? Sirius also knew full well the attacks that they had experienced - he was certain Tamsyn told him about the first with the saber cats and he had personally been here for the dire wolves.

Either way, he continued to hear Ciel out for a bit longer, listening as he spoke about stifling the attacks, how he had hoped to speak with one of their healers, that he was an alchemist, speaking of some sort of defense. Ulric sighed softly and settled down onto his haunches, fighting off the headache that was threatening to sneak up on him. All of the mourning, sorrow, exhaustion, over working himself... It was starting to creep up on him, though he did his very best to keep any of it hidden well behind a mostly impassive expression. "Speak plainly, Ciel," he instructed him with a firm, silver glance. "It's far too late... or early at this point... to be skirting around things like this." Though it didn't really matter what time of day it was. He wouldn't be sleeping either way.

Ulric Adravendi

Cíel

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Mateo
06-05-2021, 03:40 PM

As I spoke, I didn't really keep tabs on the minute changes in this Alpha's demeanor. He was silent and therefore I took that as he was listening, at least enough to get the gist of what I was describing. Maybe I was mistaken.
"Speak plainly, Ciel,"
My head tilted responsively to his command.
"It's far too late... or early at this point... to be skirting around things like this."
I...could have sworn I had already said what I was here for. Maybe this guy really should get some sleep if he wasn't able to keep up with a conversation. I cleared my throat and eyed him a bit closer now.
"I'm here for a healer."
I said, flicking my ears back as I felt a slight irritation starting to build up in my chest. I knew that I spoke a lot, but I also didn't like repeating myself. His body looked like it had deflated marginally from earlier. Was it something I said? I blinked a few times, quickly flicking my gaze from his head to his paws and back. Something inside made me feel like I should give this guy the benefit of the doubt. I mean, I could have waited outside the pack lands until morning.

"I know it's early."
My weight shifted as I fell into a sit.
"I didn't expect to find someone until the morning..."
My voice trailed off. There was nothing to apologize for, but I couldn't shake this weird mix of agitation and empathy. The conflicting emotions were making it hard to stay still yet my paws stayed planted against the earth, claws rooted down deep to hold myself steady as I waited for the gears in his mind to start churning.

"Speech"