size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

Samhain 2022The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
12-12-2021, 01:11 AM

Rudyard was back to walking the perimeter of the hallows boundary.  With each day he was slowly getting better, with each fight he fought a sliver more of confidence returned.  It seemed the secret to surviving the haunts of the past was to build a stronger future.  Rudyard needed to get just as strong as he had been before the injuries and then he had to grow stronger still.  The idea of seeing Oxx again caused made Rudyard suddenly aware of each breath he took and give the cowardly emotion of fear running through his blood.  Damn, he was a coward now.  Trailing behind it though there was an absolute truth; Rudyard had to help kill Oxx.  The wolf had to die and Rudyard wanted a piece of the action.  Once he could face him boldly.

So far the day had been quiet and Rudyard knew he was healing up as he felt boredom coming from the peace instead of relief.  Rudy was making his way back towards home, following the watery path that he’d used at times for fishing when he saw a surprising new threat.  A saltwater crocodile was basking on the shore, its eyes lidded from the day’s light.  Rudyard made a slow and wide half-circle around it.  The large-scaled beast showed no interest in him right now but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t be later.  This was something Rudy hadn’t fought before.  Rudyard howled calling for assistance even as he wondered what the heck part of that thing could be bitten into.

Rudyard Carpathius

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

Samhain 2022How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Double MasterOoh La LaThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
12-12-2021, 07:20 PM

Fern wanders the plains near the castle, stretching her healing body and shoulder. Every now and then, she stops to look back at the castle, a small smile resting on her lips. While the circumstances of her return were less than ideal, the gray girl is delighted to be back. Still, in her short time back, she has seen neither hide nor hair of the one wolf she longs to see the most. Heaving a sigh, Fern slowly continues her walk, wondering how bad she has messed things up with Rudyard. Shaking her head, she tries to rid herself of the thoughts that weigh down her mind and soul. Maybe she can make everything up to Rudy one day. Maybe.

A howl for assistance catches Fern’s ears and she pauses for a moment. The voice… she knows that voice. Ice settles in her belly as she tries to decide if she should go aid Rudyard. He is probably trying to call for one of his siblings to help him. Surely, he doesn’t want her and her useless fighting skills. Her heart sinks as his words once more float through her mind. Looking in the direction of the call, Fern tries to remember the shame she had felt in that moment hoping it will help her turn her back on his call for help. Instead, all she finds is sadness and a yearning to make him proud of her. Paws carry her forward to the one wolf she has been the most nervous to see.

Swiftly, she moves across the land, careful not to pull the stitches that Gwynevere had meticulously applied too tightly. When Rudy’s form comes into view, Fern feels her throat constrict and tears burn the back of her eyes. She pushes her feels away as she spies his reason for the howl. A saltwater crocodile basks on the shore not far from Rudy makes slow, wide half-circles. Without a word, Fern moves to stand next Rudyard, falling into step with him easily. A wary smile appears as she drawls, “When you promised me adventures, I didn’t think you meant killing crocodiles.” Her voice is light and filled with humor trying to hide the chaotic mix of emotions buried inside.

The smile vanishes as Fern asks, “Plan of attack?” She will defer to him on strategy, hoping that he has fought one of these things before. Her stitched together shoulder will hinder her moment, not allowing for quick bursts of speed but Fern will do anything Rudyard asks of her. This is her chance to prove to him she is not useless.

"Fern"

Fern has a female stoat companion named Puff. She is always nearby.

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

An icon representing the specialty Trophy Hunter Trophy Hunter

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

12-12-2021, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2021, 08:25 PM by Rudyard. Edited 1 time in total.)

If there had been a wolf Rudy hadn’t expected to see appear it was Fern.  He was studiously trying to decide how to fight the armored animal in front of him.  He was starting to think the best thing to do was just chase it away.  It would still be alive and could come back but it was hardly the only one that existed.  Hopefully, if they scared it enough then the menace wouldn’t return any time soon.

His brows raised up as Fern came up next to him.  He had admittedly hoped for someone who might tell him they’d fought crocodiles before but that wasn’t going to happen.  On the other hand, he’d been worrying about Fern and had wanted to seek her out.  His mind was warring with wanting to tell Fern how relieved he was to see her again and the need to focus on the problem at hand.

“Fern,” her name said in the same tome of a sincere ‘thanks’, a time where the message was conveyed in tone versus what was said.  Rudy smirked at her notion of adventure.  “I didn't know it would be you that was coming.  I’d find us something better than a crocodile for that.” The words are given as he kept an inner war up within himself on how to feel.  

When she set the topic to plan of attack Rudy could finally get both dealing with Fern and dealing with crocodile in one pattern of thought. “We’ll just chase it away.  Quite frankly I don’t think you and I can kill it.”  Art’s sword would be useful here, better for penetration and a bit more distance from those teeth.  To think some wolves laughed at him when he carried his sticks as a sword when a pup.  Art got the last laugh.

“I’ll go for his left side, you go for the left.  Watch out, all he needs is one bite to make sure you.  Aim for legs, and its side probably for the best.” Maybe an expert would have a different plan but Rudy had no desire to go for the head and the tail wouldn’t do any good either.

Rudy said that circling to its left, glancing up to make sure Fern was ready as well.  The crocodile had opened its mouth as Rudy neared it.  Rudy waited for another second, preparing himself before running at it, teeth snapping only to jump away when the crocodile’s head swung around with its huge teeth snapping back in return.  Rudy would wait for it to look away to go and attempt a snap for the legs.  This could only work as a team effort.

Rudyard Carpathius

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

Samhain 2022How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Double MasterOoh La LaThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
12-12-2021, 08:23 PM

When Fern makes it to Rudy’s side, she is unprepared for the way he says her name. He… he seems relieved to see her? Confusion surfaces but they have a task at hand so Fern pushes all the feelings and thoughts away for the time being. Later, when it safe, there will be time for emotions and talking but right now, there is an angry crocodile to deal with. He jokes about finding her something better and she smirks, quickly replying, “It’s okay. We’ll have plenty of time for more adventures later.” Her heart catches in her throat for a moment as she realizes what she has said, a smile briefly appearing.

Attention focus on the crocodile as Rudy lays out the plan, Fern nodding along. When he moves off to attack its left side, Fern confirms his plan, saying, “You got it… fearless leader.” She shoots him a wink and playful smirk before moving to the crocodile’s right side. The creature watches them as they move, quickly becoming displeased at being stalked by the two wolves. It cracks it mouth open, releasing a deep, throaty growl as a warning. Rudy nears the growling beast, waiting a moment before running in to snap his teeth at it. The crocodile answers in kind and Rudy has to jump away to avoid the swinging head and snapping teeth.

Fear reaches its icy claws out, trying to grab hold of Fern’s heart as she remembers finding Rudy hurt and bloody on the shore of the river. Determined not to allow him to be hurt again, she dances forward, growling and snapping to get the crocodile’s attention on her. It works as it turns it massive head her way, answering her growl with its own. Fern continues to growl and snap at empty air, looking for an opportunity to dart in and score a hit. Something catches its attention for a second and Fern lunges in, snapping at its back right leg.

Shoulder protesting the swift movement, Fern’s mouth comes up empty as the creature snaps its body around, trying to bite her. Dropping her body, Fern rolls away, before swiftly regaining her paws and darting away, tail tucked as it snaps at her retreating butt. Finding a safe spot to reset her defenses, Fern looks to Rudy, ready to for the round of attacks.

"Fern"

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

12-12-2021, 09:52 PM

Rudy’s balance was still a problem if he made certain moves but he was learning what motions not to try when the situation is dire.  He could leap back and forward just fine but if he tried to do a tight pivot he’d be possibly in trouble but, the crocodile didn’t know that.  

Rudy nodded at Fern moving in and out, glancing at her when he could afford to want to make sure she didn’t get hurt.  It was bad enough he had hurt her once and it would be unforgivable if he let her get hurt now when she was trusting him.  Rudy snapped and snarled towards the head, impressive at how it could move sideways to try and get its head away from Rudy and swing that monstrous powerful tail at him instead.  Rudy follow the crocodile’s movements and was pleased to see if they kept this up it might turn right back into the water.  

Finally, with enough persistence he was about to hop over a swinging tail, bite the leg, and barely manage to evade the crocodile’s retaliation with its tail, its head keeping its gaze on Fern.  It appeared to have decided to fight each wolf with one of its main weapons.  Mostly it just wanted the wolves gone at this point.

“Drive him to the water!” Rudyard called it with some excitement as it seemed this might work.  “Be careful.”

"Speech"

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

12-12-2021, 10:31 PM

As the pair wait for openings to attack, Fern finds her eyes keep wandering from the crocodile to her fighting partner. The scars on his neck are still visible along with his missing toes and tail. The need to protect him overrides everything, even her own pain, as she moves and snaps. The skin of her still healing shoulder pulls and stretches, throbbing in displeasure. Fern doesn’t care, the pain is the furthest thing from her mind as she looks to Rudy, a strange feeling fluttering in her chest for the briefest moment. The crocodile snaps his head toward her, opening its jaws wide and growling at her. It keeps its tail toward Rudy, swinging widely at the mottled gray wolf.

Fern weaves and turns with the beast, preforming a strange sort of dance with the predator. Narrowly making it away from the snapping jaws, Fern laughs at the crocodile as it stares angrily at her. She has angered it and the crocodile turns its jaws toward her and away from the mottled gray wolf. Rudy’s words reach her ears and Fern changes her angles of attack to try and drive the creature back into the water. Growling deeply, Fern darts in aiming at the crocodile’s front left foot. It has its head slightly turned away from her to look toward its tail where Rudy is.

However, she never gets close to the foot as it quickly snaps its head back toward and aims to close its jaws around her head. Fern barely dodges the bite and has to quickly scramble away from a follow up snap. The crocodile seems to have enough of them as it turns toward the water and starts to dash for it. Fern’s shoulder aches and she hangs back, hoping Rudy can finish what they started.

"Fern"

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

12-12-2021, 10:43 PM

So far neither of the wolves have been hurt which feels like an accomplishment in itself.  He can see Fern’s injured and there’s no doubt she’s aware he’s mending.  So of course two wolves in their shape are the perfect pair to fight this thing.
Fern just nearly gets bit and Rudy’s instincts kick in causing him to ignore the danger, rushing in to snap at the scaley hide.  Some mix of luck, instincts, and another helping of luck make it so Rudy gets back away without getting hurt.

That last bite at the gator seems to be the last bit the crocodile is ready to put up with as it slides the rest of the way into the water and speeds away from the bank.  Rudy’s lets out a deep sigh of relief watching it for a few seconds before he turns his head to look at Fern, “are you alright?  I’m so glad you’re back! I’ve been worried,” a moments pause before lowering his head, “about you, I’m so sorry.”

"Speech"

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

12-12-2021, 11:33 PM

Fern watches Rudy drive the crocodile away, aqua gaze filled with concern as he chases the creature into the water. Somehow, by some miracle, Rudy gets away without a scratch. Heaving a sigh of relief, the gray girl hears Rudy’s sigh and turns to look at him. For a moment, she watches him, taking in his profile and the pink scars that bare evidence to the vicious attack. She remembers the worry and fear that she had felt as she waited for him to wake up. She remembers how his gentle golden eyes lit up when he promised her adventures. But most of all, she remembers his kindness.

When Rudy turns his head to look at her, Fern feels the dam she had placed over her emotions bow. His voice breaks over like a wave upon a beach, bringing with it a stirring of hope and belonging. Maybe he isn’t mad at her? He pauses a moment before apologizing to her and Fern just stands there staring. All at once, everything she has pushed away since she left the Hallows, crashes over her. Rudy… is apologizing to her? Why? Sure, he had bit her face but she had deserved it… right? The words he had spoken in the infirmary had been harsh but there was truth in them.

Looking at him in stunned silence, Fern drops her eyes to look at his paws and she sees the missing toes. Tears spring to her eyes as she looks back to his golden gaze, saying softly, “You have nothing to be sorry for Rudy. I… you were right. I am useless and I hate it. I… I… thought the illness was going to kill me and I didn’t want to bother anyone.” The tears spill down into fur to trace paths down her cheeks. Sniffling, Fern lowers her heads and says, “Yeah, I’m alright. I didn’t want to come back, I thought you hated me. I was fighting a bear and…” she shakes her head as her voice fails her.

Her shoulder is proof that he is right. She doesn’t know how to fight and, because of that, she is useless. Clearing her throat, she turns her head away as the tears continue to fall. Her voice shakes as she says, “I didn’t think you wanted me back. I thought…” voice trails off as she tries to think of how to word what she really thought. That it would be best if she just disappeared and died? She can’t put that on him. Instead she sniffs and lifts her head once more to meet his golden gaze. She says, “I didn’t mean to worry you, Rudy. I have missed you so much. The illness did… strange things to my mind. I am sorry… for everything.”

Aqua eyes plead with him to forgive her. Fern has wanted a place to call home for so long and, if Rudy doesn’t mind, she would like to call the Hallows home.

"Fern"

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

12-13-2021, 12:06 AM

Damn it.  Rudy hadn’t been right in the head himself when he had said those cruel words to her.  She’d had to take them to heart, didn’t she?  The motley wolf didn’t even know if he should blame the sickness or his own twisted venomous mind for those cruel words and then his striking out at her.  Some part of it had been the sickness but couldn’t he have fought it better?  If Rudy wanted to blame himself he’d have to do that later.

Rudy walked over to her as she started to label herself worthless.   She was crying because of him. “You aren’t useless,” Rudy spoke then licking away the path a tear had made.  “You just helped me fight away a giant crocodile, that’s not worthless.  You did that without experience.  Imagine how great you’ll be with training.”

Rudy considered his words, wondering how to explain without making an excuse as they were both along the same lines.  “I was wrong.  My words were from the madness, I should have stopped it but I didn’t.” Rudy lowered his head, eyes on the dirt, “I shouldn’t have bit you.  I was scared.  I’m a coward Fern.  If I feel trapped or pin I strike out.” His eyes swiftly jerk up after saying it, “Please don’t tell anyone.  Only you and Art know, ok? I don’t want others knowing I’m a coward.”  She deserved to hear it after having bitten her.

"Speech"

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

12-13-2021, 01:42 AM

As Rudy walks toward her, Fern watches him through watery eyes. His words are kind and gentle, his presence a reassurance and it takes all of Fern’s willpower not to close the distance and bury her face in his fur. He licks the path of a tear and she offers him a small smile. Rudy talks to her, taking back the words and actions, apologizing for not fighting the sickness harder. Tear-filled eyes soften as she looks him, understanding that he had been through a traumatic experience and she, while trying to stop him from harming himself, had triggered a memory.

Looking at Rudy for a long moment, Fern sniffs and wipes her tears away. When she speaks again, her voice is gentle and filled with sympathy, “I understand Rudy. Believe me, I understand.” Thoughts of her own mother’s death and watching it briefly touches her mind before she banishes it. Slowly, carefully Fern steps closer to Rudy, not wanting to trigger his flight response, she takes her time. Fern tells him as she moves, “You are not a coward Rudy. Far from it. You are the bravest wolf I know.” Once she is close enough, Fern reaches her head out to bury her face in the fur of his chest.

Fern sits there for a moment, inhaling Rudy’s scent, offering comfort to him while taking comfort in his presence. She longs to wrap her paws around him and bury him in a hug but she remembers his fear. After several moments, Fern steps back so that he can see her face. A soft smile rests on her lips as she says, “Your secret is safe with me Rudy. Thank you for sharing it. I want you to know, I do not think you are a coward and I forgive the words and bite. I am here for you Rudy.” The strange feeling once more stirs within her chest and Fern realizes it is love. Looking at the wounded wolf, healed from the attack physically but not emotionally, Fern allows that love to take root.

Tears no longer fall as Fern looks at him, her smile growing. Head tilts slightly as Fern says, “I do have a favor to ask you Rudy. When you are ready, and only when you are ready, will you take me on those adventures you promised?” Aqua eyes sparkle with hope as she looks at him. Maybe the Hallows isn’t her home after all. Maybe…just maybe… home is wherever Rudy is.

"Fern"

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

12-13-2021, 02:20 AM

Rudy could have informed Fern that so long as someone wasn’t charging to tackle him and force him in place he was fine.  He would tell her but, later.  This time he’s also paying attention to her words.  Bravest wolf she knew?  Rudyard had felt brave and bold up until Oxx happened.  Now?  Fear biting?  Panicking when pinned?  How did that speak bravery?  It still sounded nice hearing Fern call him brave.  Her head pressed up against his chest had his heart hammering louder at her closeness.  This wasn’t what he’d imagined would happen when he found Fern.

It was good the crocodile wasn’t coming back as the smaller wolf had his full focus right now.  Lowering his head he rested it against the back of her neck, only moving it when Fern backs up.  Rudy meets her eyes evenly as Fern assures him that his secret will be kept.  It wasn’t a thing he planned to go telling anyone but, he’d hurt her.  She deserved to know why.

The change in topic was welcome and surprising.  The somber setting pushed aside for something that offered more fun.  The motley wolf’s mind hadn’t been much interested in fun lately but Fern’s reminder and interest in it stirred his desire to let her at least enjoy it.  “Of course, wherever you want.” Rudy nudged Fern’s shoulder gently as he started walking, “For now let's finish a walk, then back to the castle.  You’re wounded and I’m winded.”  He did pause suddenly swiveling his head back to Fern, “I was going to come after you, I swear I was.  I just needed to get a bit better for traveling.”

Rudyard Carpathius

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

12-14-2021, 03:22 PM

When Fern buries her head in the fur of Rudy’s chest, she feels his head rest against the back of her neck. She draws comfort from the touch, using it ground herself in the present, banishing the painful past from her mind. Even if it only for a moment. When she pulls back and asks about the adventures, Rudy obliges her and Fern offers him warm smile. Her body is tired but Fern’s spirit soar as the pair move away from the spot of the fight. When Rudy nudges her injured shoulder lightly it draws her attention back to the wound and just how exhausted her still healing body truly is. He talks about finishing the walk and heading back to the castle. Fern dips her head slightly, acknowledging his words and having no energy to protest.

Luckily, Fern has not torn open any stitches but the site around the sutures is weeping some blood. Her shoulder throbs in time with the beat of her heart but she doesn’t care. All that matters is being here, being back with Rudy. When he pauses suddenly, swiveling his head to look at her, Fern stops in her tracks and stares at him wide eyed. Had she done something wrong? When he speaks, swearing he was going to come looking for her, the gray girl tilts her head slightly in confusion. Come looking for her? Fern had not wanted anyone to find her. Especially, not while she was in that state. With the illness clouding her judgement and her body deteriorating slowly, Fern suddenly doubts Rudy would have wanted her back.

But she is back and healing, so she smiles, saying, “It’s okay Rudy. All that matters is that I am here now.” And, to Fern, that really is all that is important. Leaning slightly into his side, trying hard not to throw him off balance, her wounded shoulder forgotten, Fern reaches up to lick his cheek. The past is the past, no one can change what happened. But the future is in front of them and it is bright and full of hope.

"Fern"