An icon representing the specialty Scout Scout

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
Nyx

Samhain 2022Statue 4 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantPride - DemisexualChristmas 2019
12-13-2021, 04:11 PM

It'd been awhile since Sota had gone far from home. Not that he was much of a wanderer these days - since settling down here in Auster he preferred to stay close to the castle and the plains - but the strangeness of the last few months had made him even more of a homebody. It felt reckless to leave home when there were so many dangers lurking about, but now that the sun was rising after a long period of dormancy and the world was coming back to life, he felt comfortable straying away from home. Today he wasn't quite sure what he was intending to do... or what he was looking for, not really, but getting out and breathing in the crisp morning air was a welcome change from staying cooped up in the castle.

Stretching his tiny legs, he meandered along the edge of the creek before deciding to venture down the banks and wade through the lazy waters. Carefully pushing aside reeds and cattails that were slowly regaining their strength and springing back to life after the long period of darkness, Sota placed a single dark paw in the water, testing its temperature as well as how deep the river was. It was shallow enough for him, and combined with the water's lazy pace, he felt confident he wouldn't get swept away. Breathing a content sigh he allowed himself to venture toward the middle of the creek, veering toward a large rock that he perched upon, watching the clear water tumble over the rocks around him.

Sota has a male bamboo lemur companion named Kaito, he's sometimes nearby but usually only if stated!

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
12-15-2021, 08:45 PM

If there was one thing the Long Night had taught young Artorias, it was the value and preciousness of life. He'd been blinded, left in madness and darkness, and forced to watch his pack and family suffer through an unknown illness with no way to help them. He'd been a prisoner within his own home, helpless and trapped. Now with the life-giving sun returned and the world recovering back to normalcy, Artorias made himself a commitment—a New Year's resolution of sorts, if you will. He had put off traveling and seeing the world like he'd always wanted to do since he was a puppy in favor of supporting his family and the Hallows. He'd given up all of his childhood to follow the Now he would live a little bit for himself.

Artorias began his ventures closer to home. With everyone still recuperating from the terrors of the Long Night, he didn't want to venture too far from home, lest anyone need him for something. Still, as he neared the tranquil creek, its clear and cool waters flowing mellifluously over a bed of pebbles and stones, the young brute couldn't help but wonder why he'd never taken a walk down this way before. His large blue and black form stood in stark contrast to the environment while he pushed through the cattails, listening to the croaking of frogs and the chirping of birds in some nearby trees. Had he not just lived through the apocalypse, it would've been hard to believe it ever really happened.

As he strolled, a familiar scent caught his attention. Turned out he wasn't the only one going for a walk this morning, it seemed! He scanned the creek for any signs of- ah, there was the smaller wolf! "Good morning, Sota," he greeted the tiny male basking on a rock amidst the creek. "Getting a little fresh air too?"

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Carpathian" | "Corbin" | "Argent"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Sota

The Hallows
Scout

Expert Intellectual (165)

Master Navigator (255)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
Nyx

Samhain 2022Statue 4 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantPride - DemisexualChristmas 2019
12-20-2021, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2021, 06:51 PM by Sota. Edited 1 time in total.)

There was little in the world he felt he could complain about; not when there had been so much overwhelming darkness and sickness, not when things were so much brighter now. It had been a reminder even to him just how precious life was, even though he'd been lucky enough to remain healthy through all of it. He'd seen his packmates suffer though - but the worst were the ones he hadn't heard from at all. How many had suffered in silence, alone and afraid? The very thought made him feel awful - and at the same made him want to do better, be better, for those that he cared for.

And speaking of his packmates, it seemed as though he wasn't the only one who wanted to enjoy the fresh air today. The sound of someone's approach came before he noticed who it was, twisting his neck around to get a better look at their large form as they emerged from the cattails, which seemed quick to spring back to life after the long period of darkness. He offered the Aegis a grin as he drew near, his head dipping in a grandiose bow, held low near the rock before he raised it again. "Artorias," Sota greeted him warmly. "I am indeed. It's a nice day for it. You don't really realize just how much you miss the sun until it's gone," he admitted with a chuckle.

Wasn't that how most things in life worked, though? It was easy to take things for granted most of the time. He was determined to never do the same. The way the sun overhead gleamed off the creek and cast a reflection of the surrounding trees on the surface was just a reminder of how lovely the world was, far lovelier than it had seemed during this painfully long night. He sighed contently as he dipped a paw slightly in the water as he settled down more comfortably to face Artorias.

Sota has a male bamboo lemur companion named Kaito, he's sometimes nearby but usually only if stated!

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
12-22-2021, 04:34 PM

When he called out to Sota, the diminutive wolf greeted him with a bright grin and an absurdly low bow, voice warm and welcoming. Artorias wrinkled his nose and shot Sota a pleading look while he waved him off with a paw. "Sota, c'mon, I'm no king. Sometimes I think you do the bowing just because you know I hate it," he remarked with a humored chuckle, moving to lie on his belly on the smooth river rock beside the creek. "I never knew why my mother didn't like anyone bowing to her, but now I think I'm beginning to get it." Artorias had never made a big deal of himself, never tried to steal the spotlight or be the center of attention. He'd always been happy just existing and doing what he could to make the pack stronger. He didn't see himself as better or more important than anyone else, but knowing he had the faith and respect of his pack mates made him all the more confident in himself.

Dipping his azure-furred paws into the shallow water, Artorias began to survey the tranquil environment they'd both found. It was peaceful, with a few insects buzzing about and songbirds chirping in a nearby tree as life returned to the world. Unbeknownst to him, Sota was reveling in the same appreciation he was. You never knew how much you took something for granted until it wasn't there anymore, like something a mundane and expected as the morning sun. "Yeah, you can say that again." The dire brute chuckled beneath his breath, watching the cool water ripple as it flowed between his toes. These simple pleasures in life... they mattered far more than he ever realized.

Turning fire-kissed eyes back up to the tiny brute lounging on the islet in the middle of the creek, Artorias realized that despite having grown up in the pack, he'd spent precious little time getting to really know some of its more introverted members, like Sota. "Can I ask you a question, Sota?" He waited for his companion to give him his approval, and if he did, he'd ask, "How did my mother get you to join the Hallows? For all the time we've lived together, I've never asked about your life before us, or what made you want to follow her?" Artorias wanted to know who Sota was, what sort of a wolf he was, where he had come from. Maybe it would give him insight into who his mother was, and more importantly, understand why Sota remained even after Resin's death and why he chose to support Artorias.

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Sota

The Hallows
Scout

Master Navigator (255)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
Nyx

12-22-2021, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2021, 07:28 PM by Sota. Edited 1 time in total.)

By the time he lifted his head, Sota looked a little embarrassed; his bowing was a habit he'd stopped just before the long night, and in all of its strangeness he found himself returning to it. Though he knew he'd never return home - he had a home now, and one he quite liked - he still thought of his upbringing fondly, and clinging to some of his culture seemed even more important these days even when some parts had been abandoned entirely. He let out a bashful little laugh and relaxed himself down onto his stomach, facing Artorias properly now. "I'll try to remember you dislike it." He meant that, but that didn't mean he'd remember it perfectly in the future. "And - I know it's strange, but I don't bow because I think you're above me. In my homelands, bowing was a sign of respect among equals, done even for those you disliked. We were taught to do it as children, and taught its importance. Bowing too hastily or lazily? You may as well insult someone's mother," he explained, another laugh following his words.

Still grinning, he took the moment to let his eyes flutter shut and enjoy where he lay, even if only for a moment. He could feel the sun tickling his nose and only the faintest hint of a breeze slipping by. The sounds of the lazy creek surrounding him filled his ears, only broken up by the occasional sound of birds and insects nearby, all taking full advantage of the newfound sunshine. He wasn't much of an explorer, deciding that he'd seen plenty of the world already, but he was reminded that there was more of Auster he wouldn't mind seeing, and the added company of his packmates definitely helped.

He opened his eyes, giving Artorias a quick nod. "Of course, anything at all," he answered eagerly. Though he was generally an introverted wolf he largely considered himself an open pack, eager to help others where they needed it and do what was required him - answering questions included. "I asked her to join, actually. I broke my leg and managed to get to the border of whatever pack I could find. I offered my services to The Hallows in exchange for a place to heal and regain my strength.. and I guess I never left," he finished with a shrug. "I'd never really found anywhere I felt I belonged, so once I started too feel like I could actually make somewhere my home, I decided to stick it out. I wasn't really raised to live like this - you know, in a pack where people help others even if they don't get anything out of it - but I think it's what I was always looking for."

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

12-22-2021, 10:28 PM

Artorias blinked in surprise while Sota explained the reason behind his inclination to bow at their every interaction, suddenly feeling more than a little embarrassed himself. Of course, why hadn't he thought of it as a cultural thing?! He'd just assumed Sota did it for reasons he'd seen other wolves around Boreas and Auster do it. How ethnocentric of him! But before Artorias could apologize, Sota was already laughing it off, which made the young alpha relax again and snicker along with his pack mate. At least he hadn't offended Sota—or it didn't seem like he had.

The miniature lupine was chipper and eager to answer his question, though his answer was shockingly more normal than Artorias had been expecting. He'd been a patient of the Hallows—likely their first—and had been so moved by the purpose of the pack that he simply stayed. Artorias didn't need to wonder why he had stayed for long, as Sota was happy to explain that the Hallows was the first place he felt like he belonged. The corners of Art's lips twitched upward into a small smile, touched by the smaller wolf's heartfelt words about the pack and the life his mother had built. "That's a really sweet story, Sota," he replied with earnest emotion in his voice. "I'm glad you chose to stay. You remind me of why this is worth all the effort."

Rising to his paws, Artorias stretched out his large body and shook out his fur. "Um, if you don't mind, will you tell me more about your homeland and culture?" he asked, trying not to embarrass himself too much. This wasn't even about saving face; this was a genuine interest to learn more about a wolf in his family. "If bowing is an important part of who you are, I'd like to know more about it. Maybe I can make an exception to the bowing thing for you... Maybe." He flashed his teeth in a smile and chuckled, ready for a lesson and demonstration.

One big happy family

Sota

The Hallows
Scout

Master Navigator (255)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
Nyx

12-28-2021, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2021, 02:53 PM by Sota. Edited 1 time in total.)

It was rare he talked about the Songa or his upbringing much, though then again it wasn't like anyone really asked. There had been a time once when he'd wondered if he ought to return home, but it was clear now that those days were behind him, and that he'd forged as good a home as any here now. "I'm thankful for her, really. Your mother was a very fair woman - back home, wolves who couldn't keep up were often just left behind. There was little room for weakness there," he admitted, sounding a bit forlorn at the thought. It was a cultural difference he'd had to learn to understand, but once he had- well, it felt like everything had clicked perfectly into place then.

He let out a pleased laugh at Artorias's question and his quip about possibly making an exception to the bowing thing for him. "I wouldn't mind at all, though I'm not sure where I'd begin. The group I was born into are nomadic wolves, but more specifically we... we'd live in trees," he admitted, sounding almost bashful at admitting it out loud. "My size seems unusual here but most wolves I grew up with were nearly as small as I am. Makes the whole tree-climbing thing a lot more reasonable. My best friend from my childhood even had weirdly flexible paws; made him an incredible climber."

He sighed as he thought of Balsam, wondering where he was now. He liked to think that he'd found whatever it was he'd gone to Boreas looking for. "My people were raiders. The more wealthy you were, the higher your social standing, though respect among peers was still important. Nothing at all like The Hallows," he added with a half-smile. "I have fond memories of that life but I don't think it quite suited me, though my parents insisted I'd grow to be a Soundless someday. Not that I believed them. The Soundless were the most esteemed of fighters. Forget what you know about fighting though when you think of them - the Soundless are much craftier than that, fighting with speed and tricks instead of using their teeth and claws. The Soundless could leave an enemy unconscious without even touching them."

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

01-12-2022, 01:10 AM

Black-furred ears pulled back to his head when Sota spoke highly of Resin, how she'd given him a home where he would have been left behind in his homelands. Though Artorias loved to hear wolves praise his mother, it did create a tug of yearning in his heart. He felt like he'd only ever gotten to know half of the wonderful wolf his mother had been before she was taken from them, and the half he knew he'd known as a puppy—not exactly the keenest mind for understanding another on a deeply personal level. In a way, he envied wolves like Sota. They had gotten to know Resin more than he ever would. He just hoped that he'd do her proud and bring honor to her name and legacy. It was a lot of self-imposed pressure, but it was the only way Artorias knew how he could feel closer to her.

Sota laughed an almost musical giggle and happily began to explain his past and the life he had before the Hallows. Artorias listened with rapt attention, fascinated by the tale like a young puppy. He gazed at the diminutive wolf with a mix of shock and bewilderment. Did he just say... live in trees?! Artorias looked from Sota to some of the trees around the creek, then back to him again. Could Sota climb trees? Now this Artorias had to see! He didn't interrupt however, letting Sota continue to regale him on how his people had been raiders—a far cry from the ideals of the Hallows—and how that lifestyle never really suited him, even though he was expected to be an elite warrior. Everything Sota said amazed Artorias more and more. He wanted to learn all about these wolves that could fight and incapacitate an enemy without laying a paw on them, or how a wolf climbed a tree and navigated the canopies.

"Wow...! Sota, that's... wow!" Artorias was at a loss for words. He laughed, almost incredulous, and grinned in amazement. The wanderlust in him made the young wolf wonder if he'd ever get to see such places in his lifetime, and made his mind begin to fantasize about what other sorts of lands and cultures existed beyond Boreas and Auster. "Okay, so... how does the bowing thing come into this? Where does that fit into your culture?" he asked, then peered past Sota to a copse of trees nearly. "So are you saying that you can... climb trees?"

One big happy family

Sota

The Hallows
Scout

Master Navigator (255)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
Nyx

01-17-2022, 04:53 PM

He seemed intently interested in what Sota had to say about his childhood, so he kept right on talking. It was hard to really put any of it into words, but he tried - his culture was ingrained in him even though he'd purposefully abandoned most of  those ideals, woven into the very fabric of his being. At times Artorias looked like he had a million questions, and then he looked stunned, and finally when there was a lull in his little speech he let out an almost nervous laugh. "It was.. very much not at all like The Hallows. Imagine how bewildered I felt when I first crossed the sand bridge to Boreas." Truthfully, he'd been terrified and at first he'd regretted coming at all. Only time had softened the frantic need he felt to return home to the familiar. "Wolves your size absolutely terrified me. Took me a long while to get used to that one."

He stretched his forepaws a bit before he pulled himself upright, stepping off the rock and into the creek, heading Artorias's way. "The bowing thing? That's a good question. Honor and respecting your elders was a big thing back home.. honoring them no matter what. It was something we were taught to do. What you did to your enemies was one thing, but family? Your band? Something else entirely. " Sota gave a shrug. He'd since learned that he didn't believe that age meant anyone had been deserving of respect or dignity, not unless they earned it. "And yes, I can. Though I've been much more careful with it since breaking my leg years ago. I like to scale the castle walls instead - I'm surprised you've never seen me climb to the tower room. I don't take the normal route," he added, almost playfully, as he emerged onto dry land and gave his legs a quick shake.