gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player

Samhain 2022Statue 5 WorshipTreat 2019
08-21-2022, 02:51 AM

Memento Mori supposed she had been beating around the bush for long enough now. She had met with Ezra at the beginning of the season and now Summer was starting to approach… soon it would be here! Meme could hardly believe so much time passed by in what felt like the blink of an eye. Yet time flew when you were exploring all over Auster, didn’t it? Even her trip up to Northern Boreas seemed like a distant memory now. But one thing that didn’t leave her mind was her cousin. He had said there was more family in the Hallows and though their numbers were small Memento Mori had decided she wanted the chance to meet them. Come what may of her visit, she was willing to take steps into living in a pack… even if she wasn’t seeking something permanent just yet.

The pale eyes of the woman flicked up to the castle that had been growing closer and closer with every step she took. It had seemed large before, but now that she drew closer to its borders she really felt its size. It was phenomenal, really. She had no idea what it would look like inside but… Meme drew in a small breath. She had to steady her nerves. Just because she wasn’t interested in following the life her mother tried to lay out for her, and becoming an alpha, didn’t mean all packs were bad. She just had to remember that. Besides! She had the boys with her, one on either side, and the jackals had her back no matter what.

Once Memento Mori was close enough to the border she paused, instinct and common sense alike warning her from going further without permission. She glanced towards Jacques, then Rein, then back up at the looming castle covered in vines and the like. Here went something…

She tilted her head back, a sweet alto song filling the air as she called for the alphas and, with any luck, maybe Ezra would show up too. It’d be reassuring to see her cousin again straight away… but she wasn’t sure if he’d make it before the alpha, or alphas, did…

"Talk, 'Think.'

Unless ICly stated otherwise assume Memento Mori's companions, Jacques and Rein, are not with her.

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
08-22-2022, 04:10 AM

The reigning Carpathians hadn't been back home for long. They'd only returned from their northern trip the day before and were still getting settled back into their home, Artorias and Briar unpacking the cart full of things they'd brought back from the Armada—some family gifts, others things the Aegis had bartered and bought at the market. The melodic call from a voice he didn't recognize at the castle's borders caught his attention and stopped his work dead in its tracks. Someone was looking for him. After exchanging a glance with Briar, Artorias bid his mate continue with their task while he tended to their new guest. He went unarmed and unarmored, feeling no need to be greeting a guest armed for bear, and headed immediately out of the castle gates and across the sun-drenched plains of verdant grasses.

Corbin swooped down toward him from overhead, informing the Aegis where his guest was waiting for him. Artorias nodded to his faithful companion, then headed off to meet the newcomer. It wasn't more than a few minutes for Artorias to find her. The stranger was only slightly smaller than he was, a female dressed in a striking coat of earthen browns and snowy whites blended, accented by golden yellows at the end of her paws and tail. That same goldenrod speckled her face and tipped the unique feature of her cascading mane. He did not recognize her, and she bore no pack scent amongst her own, indicating she was a loner and not a diplomat from somewhere else. Artorias was intrigued.

"Good morning! Welcome to the Hallows," he greeted her with a warm, lopsided smile when he reached her. Art paused a few steps away, giving them both personal space while maintaining a close proximity. "I'm Artorias Carpathius, alpha and Aegis of the Hallows. You called for me?" With a curious tilt to his head, Artorias allowed the newcomer to introduce herself and speak her piece. Her call had been peaceful, and though he had his hunches for what most strangers came to the Hallows for, he would allow her to explain all that she wanted to him.

"Artorias" | "Carpathian" | "Corbin" | "Eira" | "Argent"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Ezra

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (245)

An icon representing the specialty Cooperative Cooperative

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Shelby

OverachieverCritical Attack!The Ooze ParticipantVengeanceSnake EyesMammoth Hunter
08-24-2022, 09:46 PM
Ezra was making his usual rounds on the pack borders with Canis trailing closely behind and his armor strapped on around his chest. He didn't have the spiked paldrons on, but he did usually wear his armor while on patrols since it wasn't all that uncommon to cross paths with intruding predators that liked to sneak across and try to get to their alpacas. That didn't seem to be a problem today though and his patrol had been entirely uneventful and boring—at least until he heard a mildly familiar voice calling from the borders. His ears perked up at the sound and for a moment he wondered if it was actually his cousin or not. Since they had only met the one time her voice alone wasn't super familiar to him, but it was familiar enough to make him take note of it and he hurried off in that direction to see if he was right, hopeful that Memento had actually taken him up on his invitation.

Following the border, he eventually came around to where he saw Artorias standing across from his cousin and a grin pulled across his lips. His guess was right after all! He could see Art was already introducing himself and doing his usual alpha-like introductions as he approached so he didn't interrupt, but he did trot over to join in beside his best friend and gave Memento a welcoming smile. "Memento! You made it!" He glanced over at Art, saying, "Art, this is my cousin, Memento Mori. We ran into each other a little while ago and I invited her to come visit the castle." Turning his pale gaze back to the golden-marked woman across from them, he let her do her own introductions or requests or whatever usually happened at this kind of things. Just like Memento, he was sure his own father had at one point hoped he'd aspire to leadership or something like that, but he was more than happy leaving that kind of thing to Artorias. His friend had a good aptitude for it anyway.

"Ezra Adravendi"

Memento Mori

Loner

Expert Intellectual (215)

Advanced Fighter (70)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player

08-25-2022, 01:34 AM

A man came and was one that would rival the height of her parents and was a bit bigger than she herself was. Memento Mori dipped her head in response to his greeting. “A good morning to you as well.” He was introduced as Artorias Carpathius, neither name that she was overly familiar with. Had Ezra mentioned the leader of the Hallows in their first meeting? If he had the name had slipped her mind. And speaking of her cousin, before she had a chance to introduce herself or give her reason for why she was here, Ezra came bounding up. She smiled warmly at him, speaking softly. “Good to see you again, Ezra.” Then she shifted her gaze back to Artorias.

“It is as Ezra says. My name is Memento Mori Lore, a cousin of his through my mother and his father. We met during my wanderings in Auster and he spoke of your pack, as well as a couple of other cousins I may find here.” She took in a breath, her companions staying quietly at her side for the moment. “I was hoping that I may be able to join your pack as a guest, at least for a little while. I’m… afraid that I’ve never been in a pack before. I’ve been a loner my entire life and due to some other circumstances, the idea of them has always felt a bit… strange. Almost uncomfortable.” Meme glanced at Ezra as she continued to speak.

“Though family is important, right? So even if it’s different, I’d like to give the Hallows a chance. If any pack is likely to earn my loyalty, it would be one where I have kin.” Her words weren’t unkind but they were honest. She flicked her attention back to the Aegis, shifting slightly on her paws. “That said… I’d like the opportunity to interact a little more closely with your pack, if I may. Hunting, assisting in spars, whatever I can do to help.” Her smile faded. “I can assure you if the Hallows ended up not being a place I could call home I would not speak of any information about them to another.” She met Artorias’ gaze specifically as she said this. She did not want him to have any doubt in her words. “I would not risk my family, no matter our ties.”

It was here that Rein chimed in. “Meme really wants this to work though, I feel. She’s been talking about coming here all season.” The woman felt her cheeks burn as Rein “ratted her out”. She couldn’t help it if she was nervously optimistic about the Hallows! Not to mention it would be nice not to have to resort to returning to the falls all the time. She could start to move on with her life… really start living for herself instead of the life Philomena had wanted for her.

"Talk, 'Think.'

Unless ICly stated otherwise assume Memento Mori's companions, Jacques and Rein, are not with her.

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
08-27-2022, 04:04 PM

The stranger at his borders greeted him with warm smile and polite words. But before they could get too deep into conversation, the sound of loping paws approaching through the soft grasses caught Artorias' attention away. Ezra had joined the pair, having come from his patrol to greet the stranger as well. At first, the Aegis wondered why, until Ezra greeted the other wolf by name and explained how she was his cousin. Realization lightened his eyes and he made a soft sound of understanding. The wolf, introduced as Memento Mori, corroborated Ezra's story. He knew the Adravendi family was large and far-branching, so it shouldn't have really been a surprise that extensions of that family tree spread far and wide across the lands. Memento explained how she had run into Ezra in the wild lands, how he had invited her back to the Hallows to come meet the rest of their family, and how she hoped to join the Hallows. Well, that was a fine way to brighten one's day, and it showed in Artorias' delighted expression.

Meme's concerns of having never lived in a pack before and her apprehension were justified. Art could recall how Laeta, Claire, and Greed had been when they'd joined, all having been without a pack for most if not all of their lives. Adjusting to it could take time, but Art had yet to meet a wolf who didn't enjoy the community and camaraderie that came with pack life. Artorias gave Meme all the time to speak her mind as she needed, listening to her concerns and her desires. "I understand your hesitance to commit to joining a pack, Memento. In my opinion, that makes you prudent. You want to make the right decisions for yourself." Artorias nodded his head to Memento and gestured her to cross the borders and step into Hallowed lands for the first time. "Please, come in! Any family of Ezra's is always welcome here. Let's walk and talk," he said, then began to lead the two other wolves on a casual walk along the borders so Meme could take in the sights of the vast Hallowed lands.

"I would be happy to host you as a guest of the Hallows for as long as you'd like, Memento! I'm not sure if Ezra has told you about us or not, but the pack is open to all who come with benign intentions." Artorias glanced over towards the nearby castle and gestured towards it with a tip of his muzzle. "The Hallows was founded as a sanctuary and a place of healing for those who need it. We do not discriminate. Wolves of all backgrounds, creeds, and lineage are welcome here on the promise of peace. It's also why while I appreciate your vow to keep my pack's details a secret, it's not something you need to worry about. We have no secrets to hide. Our doors are always open to those in need." Besides, the last pack that had tried to spy on the Hallows and attack it had been thoroughly trounced by the seasoned warriors that guarded its walls. The thought brought a little smirk to Art's lips, though he didn't speak his thoughts aloud.

One of the jackals accompanying Meme chimed in, revealing just how hopeful the Lore woman really was about this pack working out for her. Artorias chortled with delight, shooting Meme a bright smile. "Well, I'm also hopeful that the Hallows turns out to be the place for you, Memento! You strike me as the kind of wolf who wants to do good in the world, to leave it a little better than how we found it. That's the mission of the Hallows as a whole. Every wolf here is committed to improving the lives of others—strangers, our kinsmen, our family, and ourselves. It would be my honor to let you interact with everyone, get a feel for our daily lives, and make your conclusions from experience." Artorias turned his attention to Ezra then, knowing that the words he spoke would carry more weight if affirmed by someone Memento knew. "How would you describe the Hallows to someone, Ezra?"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Ezra

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (245)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Shelby

OverachieverCritical Attack!The Ooze ParticipantVengeanceSnake EyesMammoth Hunter
08-30-2022, 04:19 PM
Ezra nodded happily as Meme returned his greeting and then let her and Artorias chat about what brought her here and her desires for wanting to give pack life a try. He had been born and raised in The Hallows, but he could definitely understand how hard the transition could be from living on her own to joining up with a big group of wolves like this. He was glad that he could at least give her a little bit of familiarity with the fact that he and her other cousins would be here so she would have some kind of common ground to get started with. When Art ushered her into the pack so that they could walk and talk, Ezra followed suit, settling in on the opposite side of Memento from Art and matching their pace while he talked about the pack. Art explained the pack and their philosophy very well, as he usually did, so Ezra just settled in to listen as well, nodding in agreement occasionally. Even if Ezra wasn't exactly the diplomat type and didn't speak as eloquently as Artorias or his father, he was genuinely proud of where he lived and The Hallows as a whole—even if he wasn't as good at expressing it.

Eventually the conversation was turned over to him as Art asked him how he would describe The Hallows, making him bring his attention back to his best friend and his cousin. He thought it over for a moment before replying, "Well... It's like a family really." He glanced to Meme as he added, "Even when, like, my mom disappeared and my dad decided to leave it never really felt like I didn't have someone there to support me if I needed it... Well, maybe it did for a little bit, but that was just me being an angry pup." He chuckled and grinned and gave a small shrug of his shoulders. "I've lived here my whole life and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Art is as much my brother as Emile is."

"Ezra Adravendi"

Memento Mori

Loner

Advanced Fighter (70)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player

09-01-2022, 10:09 PM

Memento Mori was grateful that Artorias understood where she was coming from. She wanted to make the right decisions not only for herself but for her companions as well. Rein and Jacques meant so much to her… she didn’t want to be somewhere that the three of them couldn’t be happy. She glanced to the boys, giving a nod to each before she stepped into the lands of the Hallows to walk alongside the Aegis and her cousin as they spoke. There was a feeling of uncertainty washed over her for now but she was sure with time that would fade. She just had to get to know the wolves of the Hallows… and maybe, in time, she could find that this place was as much a home to her as it was to Ezra or Artorias.

“I appreciate it greatly. My intentions are definitely of the right sort, I assure you. I’m not interested in drama, or, as I said before, hurting those who are my kin. I might not know them well enough yet, but that doesn’t mean I’d want to harm them or their loved ones.” She spoke honestly and adamantly about that. She didn’t want to do anything that might harm those she called family. And hurting their loved ones would be an extension of that in her eyes. For the moment though she would listen to Artorias speak. It went beyond being kind to her as kin of a Hallow’s member, but they offered sanctuary and a place of healing to all who needed it. Still, it was a reassurance that the Aegis wasn’t worried about what she might see - they had no secrets to hide.

“It is kind of you to offer that sanctuary. I know some packs will, so long as a wolf has good intentions, though not every pack is so open-minded or kind.” She commented on the matter. And of course, Rein had shared her hopes as well. Though she had been embarrassed about it Meme didn’t mind Artorias and Ezra knowing. It was the truth, after all. Artorias spoke once more and Meme gave a small nod. “That wasn’t always my hope, but it’s not far off from my wishes now. I want to live my life as something a bit bigger than myself and help those around me, though where that part of my life has yet to be seen.” It wouldn’t be as an alpha, as her mother had hoped, but perhaps she could learn to be useful to a pack, maybe even the Hallows, and one day rise in rank. There was no telling what the future might hold for her.

Artorias then turned his attention over to Ezra and Memento Mori glanced at her cousin as he spoke. A family… One that, even after his parents had disappeared or left supported each other. It sounded wonderful… to have wolves to rely on like that. “That’s kind of how my bond with Rein and Jacques is.” She said, glancing over her shoulder at the two brothers. “When I left mom, Cel, and Uncle Ulric after my maim fight as a yearling I wandered alone for a long time. It was incredibly lonely, and at first, I felt bitter that my mother had started slipping so much that she was barely there for me.” She frowned thoughtfully.

“Then I met Jacques. He might be quiet, and far more stern than his brother, but he’s a good guy. He lifted my spirits in no time and we developed an inseparable bond. When we ran into Rein, that bond only got stronger, and the three of us have been traveling together ever since. We might not be related by blood, but we’d give our all for one another, no questions asked.” She looked between the two male wolves as she walked and added. “I feel this is the best place to be then. If a wolf can not be bonded to its pack as if they were kin then how can it really be a good fit?” She smiled a little.

“Are there many wolves living here?” She asked, wondering just how many members of the Hallows there were.

"Talk, 'Think.'

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

09-06-2022, 09:06 PM

A proud smile touched Artorias' lips when he listened to how Ezra described the Hallows to his cousin. Having Ezra share his perspectives had been a beneficial decision. Not that the Aegis thought any member of the Hallows would speak ill of it, but he knew hearing these words coming from someone close to her would be more impactful to Memento. It also did his heart good to know that his wolves felt so strongly of their lives in the pack. Memento Mori commented on the goodness of the Hallows to offer sanctuary to all, and Artorias nodded with a somber sort of smile on his face. "It had always been my mother's intentions from the moment she founded the Hallows. She'd seen so much violence and bloodshed in her lifetime, she wanted nothing more than a place of guaranteed safety—not just for her family, but for all who would seek it." The onyx and azure wolf swallowed thickly, trying his best to keep the memories of Resin from drawing tears to his eyes. Even after all these years, thinking of her still wrenched at his heart. "When I took over, I vowed to make sure her dream remained the core tenet of the pack."

Artorias listened to Memento explain a brief synopsis of her life story from the time she'd separated from her family as a yearling to now. He smiled when she spoke of how she found Jacques and Rain, her jackal companions. It was reminiscent of how he had found Corbin and Argent, and later Eira, entirely by accident and yet so perfectly in harmony they all were. "That bond is paramount to us all here. You'd be hard pressed to find a wolf that wouldn't do anything to support their Hallowed brothers and sisters. I would also gladly lay my life down to protect any wolf within these lands, whether they are one of ours or our guests." Artorias didn't bring up the raid the pirates had led against his home, but he thought about it. There had been a time when he'd had to do exactly that, and he and everyone else had fought bravely and successfully. Artorias himself still bore the scar for the sacrifice he was willing to make to protect the lives within the castle walls. A chuckle rumbled in the dire wolf's chest when Meme mentioned a pack being bound as kin, and he nodded assent. "Well said, Memento. I think you're going to have no trouble fitting in around here."

The Aegis altered their course a bit, turning them more inward and towards the towering castle so Meme could get a closer look at her new home—temporary or permanent as it may be. "We have nearly two dozen that call the Hallows their home, including yourself," he answered her question, then added in with a light laugh, "Although depending on my mate's intentions for next season, we may be seeing even more soon enough!" It had been no secret that Briar desired a family with Artorias, as did he with her. Now that they were married, it was the next major step in their relationship. Perhaps this year the castle halls would be graced with the pitter patter of little Carpathian paws running amok. Only time would tell. "All members of the Hallows are permitted to make their dens out in the Starlit Plains or claim personal quarters within the castle. Do you have a preference on where you'd like to rest your head, Memento?" He cast a look to the smaller wolf, a curious look in her eyes also asking if she had more questions he could answer for her.

One big happy family

Ezra

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (245)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Shelby

10-08-2022, 05:02 PM
Ezra knew he wasn't the most well spoken or eloquent wolf around, at the very least not when he was next to Artorias, but he was glad Memento seemed to connect with how he described his experience of the Hallows. When he glanced to Art he could tell his friend appreciated the kind words too and that made him grin. He didn't know if he had ever really expressed how much the Hallows and Artorias himself had done for him over the years so at least he got a chance to express that to him. As the conversation continued, his cousin described the role her companions played in her life and how they came to be a group, his pale gaze following hers to glance back at the jackals as well. It reminded him of a time when Aquila had felt like his only friend as he navigated the loss of his mother and the perceived betrayal of finding his father sleeping with another woman. It was funny how these companions ended up playing such a big role sometimes.

His attention turned back to Artorias and Memento as the question came up of how many wolves called the pack home. He blinked with a bit of surprise when Artorias mentioned that there was nearly two dozen of them now. He still remembered when the pack and mostly just him their two litters, their parents, and a handful of others. It had really grown into such an established entity in the world of Auster and Boreas that it was kind of wild to think back to where they started. When Artorias mentioned his and Briar's potential plans for pups a little wistful smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he looked up toward the castle ahead of him. He couldn't let himself regret the choices he had made with Syanna because the only choice they had was to keep moving forward, but he did wonder if that was something that he'd ever be saying himself. In the end he had the woman he loved and that was far more important to him than any ifs or maybes, but it was still a thought that crossed his mind. He glanced toward his cousin as Artorias asked her where she might make her den, making note of it for himself so that he would know where to find her later in case they wanted to get to know each other better.

"Ezra Adravendi"

Memento Mori

Loner

Advanced Fighter (70)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player

10-19-2022, 08:20 PM

Meme listened to Artorias’ history of the Hallows, of the sort of place his mother had hoped this pack to be. “I can not blame her for that. It feels as though too many creatures are quick to spill blood. It’s good that you honored her wishes, too. It shows your love for her.” Memento Mori’s pale gaze shifted to the ground at her paws. She wished that she could have honored her mother’s own wishes. But… Artorias’ mother’s goals and Philomena's goals had been different. While one wanted a place of safety her mother wanted a pack that would be a call to war against another family… a feud that Meme had no interest in being part of.

“...I wonder if my mother still hoped for that sort of camaraderie for me one day… even if her ideals for a pack were different from the Hallows.” She sighed and lifted her pale gaze to Artorias. “I may not have seen the bloodshed your mother had but I know I do not want to live the life of a warmonger. I wish to defend the safety of the innocent, and those who I would call friend, call family.” Memento Mori drew in a breath. “I prefer to keep my paws busy, however. Idle paws are the devil’s playground, after all.”

About a dozen made their home in the Hallows. It was an impressive number, all of these wolves coexisting with one another. But oh? There was more to that than there seemed. The alpha pair might be trying for a litter. “I’m wishing you both the best of luck. You’re lucky to have someone by your side.” Her words were softly spoken and genuine. “If you guys ever need a pup sister, or need some toys for the little ones I’d be happy to lend you my service.” Then she shifted her gaze to Ezra, her voice becoming light, teasing.

“So cousin, are you planning on having kids too? Will there be more Adravendi paws running around?” She arched a brow. Though the question was teasing she was actually curious if Ezra had a love interest or a mate. He was old enough for it.

Then, at Artorias’ next question she shifted her attention back to the alpha. “Ideally I’d like to rest as close to my kin as I can. So whichever place they have chosen to den I will as well. I have been a long time without family… I want to start building that bridge again in my life. That is if I don’t drive Ezra crazy by the end of the season.” Meme’s pale gaze shifted back to Ezra. “Hope you’re prepared, cousin.” Though it had only been a short while since she’d arrived Memento Mori’s voice was already lighter, happier. A sign of what was to come.

"Talk, 'Think.'