gems
size
Medium
build
player
04-20-2014, 08:25 PM

Qanik

in defense of the innocent

Qanik was concerned. It was autumn, the time of year that they should be preparing themselves for the more difficult time of winter. Yet here they were, eight members when other packs had twice and three times that, and not all of them were capable of working together with rest of the pack. How were they to survive like this? To avoid being folded into another, larger pack like Glaciem? They could not continue on the way they were. All members needed to contribute somehow.

Her mind faded back to the pack hunt, to the shy, scared young girl who had shown up but not participated. Why? Had she never learned to hunt with a pack? Was she crippled? Was she simply too scared of the members of the pack? Whatever it was, Qanik had to know before she could fix it. She didn't know what Roman had planned for the girl; she hadn't had a chance to really speak with Roman about the pack since her unexpected promotion. All she knew was that this girl was in need of something to do, something to learn, a job... something, and she didn't know her well enough to arbitrarily make that sort of decision. She had to see why the girl didn't feel she could hunt, or socialize with the pack, and Qanik needed to help her. It was her duty.

So this misty fall morning, as she stepped out of her den and stretched, she came to a conclusion. She needed to call Misha to her, and get this settled in her mind. So the aging wolf lifted her muzzle to the sky, a low howl rising through the trees, calling for the girl named Misha.

speech.

cowardice is the only sin

Misha

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
player
04-20-2014, 08:41 PM
The small red brown and ivory colored female had been lurking around in the red forest, from the recent pack hunt. The only reason she had gone to such an event was for Dayton, knowing that the male had wanted to prove himself to Tortuga and their Queen, Roman. Of course she had gone, for her love. But, she had gone and practically left, dreading the need to socialize. Misha had always struggled to keep up with the skill of socializing, whether it was with her mate Dayton or her fellow pack mates.

The female shook the thought away, clearing her mind. She sighed and continued sulking around the shadows of The Red Forest, her ears flicking around a bit. How am I to prove myself to Roman? To Tortuga? The fae thought to herselfx, head hanging low.

She would stop in her tracks, ears pinned forward to the direction of a howl that whispered her name within it. Misha quickly ran over to the wolf who had set the howl out, blue grey gaze watching over the stranger to Misha. "Y-you called?" She would stutter, taking in the other female's snow white pelt and blue eyes, wondering who she was.

Qanik

Somnium
Angel

gems
size
Medium
build
player
04-20-2014, 08:56 PM

Qanik

Qanik's gaze swept over the girl as she crept up so fearfully, and her face softened. "Misha," she greeted quietly. She sat, slowly, her tail curving around her hindpaws as she sought to change her posture to make the girl more comfortable. "My name is Qanik. I am Roman's legionary, her beta." She shifted a little, letting her gaze drift so the girl wouldn't feel like she was being interrogated. "Misha, before I say anything else I want you to know that I did not call you here to kick you out of the pack. Even if I could, I would not. You are a member of this pack, this family, and as far as I am concerned you always will be. But we do need to have a talk, you and I. Are you comfortable with that?" Her bright gaze went back to the girl, studying her intently. Whether the girl was ok with it or not, they'd be having their talk. It would just change how Qanik would handle it.

speech.

Misha

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
player
04-20-2014, 09:45 PM

Her golden brown bathed ears would twist forward when the snowy pelted female began to speak, her blue gaze scanning over Misha. The small female would automatically tilt her crown low in a bow, showing respect for Qanik, a higher rank than Misha, one well affiliated with the Queen Of Tortuga. Misha would wait a few seconds before lifting herself up from the bow, finding Qanik in a comfortable and calm sitting position. Misha shakily set her rump on the ground and curled her tail beside her as she listened to the white fae speak. She would say how Misha was a part of this pack and how she was now part of this family. Then she would ask Misha if the two could speak. The maiden would nod in reply. "Yes Miss Qanik. About what?" She would question, blue grey irises sparkling with curiosity.

Qanik

Somnium
Angel

gems
size
Medium
build
player
04-21-2014, 07:55 AM

Qanik

The girl bowed to her upon learning of the new rank, leaving Qanik feeling uncomfortable and unsettled. She was not royalty, to be bowed to and treated as such. She was just an old warrior. But it was unimportant at the moment. "Just Qanik is fine, Misha," she said gently before continuing. "To be frank, we need to speak about finding you something to do within the pack." She may not have spoken so bluntly about it, had Misha exhibited continued signs of fear, but the curiosity with which Misha was looking to her prompted Qanik to be more open about it. "I imagine from your reaction to the pack hunt that you are not much fond of hunting large game. Have you had any training in anything else? Small game hunting, fighting?" The girl didn't look like a fighter, didn't act like a fighter, but it didn't hurt to ask. "How are you at running or tracking?" All very important questions to finding Misha's niche in the pack. Qanik had about a million more questions, but she was worried that she may have already overwhelmed the girl with what she'd asked and she didn't want to add to it, so she took a deep breath and smiled softly, hoping her relaxed expression and demeanor would keep the girl in her current state of calm.

speech.

Misha

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
player
04-21-2014, 08:28 AM
The small red brown and ivory female would smile politely. "Yes, Qanik it is," she would say, a small smile appearing on the girl's maw. Then Qanik would begin speaking about hunting and fighting, and if Misha was any good at those tasks. "Unfortunately, I'm not," She would say, sighing softly to herself. Then the small fae would turn her head up when she had mentioned running, and tracking. "Oh, I love running," she would giggle out, her blue grey gaze sparkling. "I haven't really tracked anything before.. What is it?" She would say in a question, smiling up at the snow white female named Qanik.

Qanik

Somnium
Angel

gems
size
Medium
build
player
04-21-2014, 09:02 AM

Qanik

Qanik genuinely smiled to see Misha so enthusiastic. "We'll work on strengthening your running, since you enjoy it so much, and it will be important for you." She was beginning to formulate something of a plan in her mind now, getting an idea of what the girl might excel at. "As to tracking, it involves following the scent and trace of animals over the land. Wolves or prey animals or larger predators, the technique is all the same. I'm afraid I've never been much good at it myself but for those with the nose and eyes for it tracking can be an incredibly useful skill."

She passed an evaluating eye over Misha with thoughtful hum. "I would like you to work on practicing hunting for small game. I'm not concerned with you bringing in enough to feed the pack, and I've no intention of making you a hunter, but it will help me teach you to move silently through the forest - an important skill. I'm also going to work with you to teach you enough fighting skills to defend yourself if you're ever in trouble outside of the borders where we wouldn't be able to reach you, or to defend pups in the den if it ever comes to that, though again I'm not trying to make a warrior out of you. Just enough to keep you safe. What I have in mind for you," she added slowly as she thought out loud, "is more along the lines of a scout and a runner. Patrolling the border, maybe, and if you find trouble to get to a safe distance and call in the warriors, or calling for Roman or myself if you find a loner wishing to join. Or scouting ahead for prey during a hunt if you do well in tracking, so that you can still help without needing to actively join in the hunt." She cocked her head to the side, still watching Misha. "Would you feel comfortable with that? We could work out the details as we get a better idea of what you're best at, but if you're able to do either of those things, it would take a lot of the burden off our family."

She hoped Misha would seriously consider it, but if she wasn't comfortable Qanik would keep thinking about it... though she was still going to find some way to push Misha to learn self-defense. She'd seen too many young girls hurt because they wouldn't learn the skills needed to protect themselves, who found themselves in a bad situation and could do nothing to stop it.

speech.

Misha

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
player
04-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Misha would nod, smiling softly. "Yes, it all seems very good. If it's possible, I would like to become a scout for wandering loners, and then call upon you or Roman," Misha would nod. "Though. I will try the hunting, and training in fighting for defense. And, Qanik, if I could do a few shifts here and there to take care of the pups, I would love to.. " The small fae would smile widely at the thought of her mate Day, and how they might be expecting pups in the winter. Misha looked up at Qanik, deciding to tell her the news. "Qanik. I'm sure you know my mate, Dayton. Well, if it won't be too much trouble him and I were going to try for pups in the winter," Misha would say, smiling softly up at Qanik.

Qanik

Somnium
Angel

gems
size
Medium
build
player
04-21-2014, 06:44 PM

Qanik

Qanik nodded to Misha's assertion that she would like to begin scouting the border. It would be good for the girl's confidence to have a job to do, rather than sitting around feeling useless and caught up in her own fears, whatever was causing them. She also professed that she would try to work on the hunting and defensive fighting. "Good," Qanik murmured. "It is important for any member of the pack to know how to protect themselves. As for pups, of course." She dipped her head again in acceptance. "Once the pack has pups, I am sure your assistance would be welcomed by the mother."

But Misha went on to speak about how she and Dayton wished to have pups. Though her eyes widened slightly in surprise, because it was unexpectedly sudden, her whole manner softened in delight. "I am not sure it is my place to give you permission or not, but I am personally very happy for you both, and wish you the best with it. I will bring it up to Roman next I see her so she is aware." It would be good to have pups in Tortuga, though the thought caused a pang in the old wolf's heart. She, who would never have pups. Still, she wouldn't mar the girl's happiness with her angst, so she hid it behind the mask of genuine joy for them. She could indulge her emotions later, right now she had other things to deal with.

"I would like you to begin defense training as soon as possible, then, so that you have some of the basics before you are too pregnant to continue," she pressed. "I intend to call a meeting of all the wolves to make sure that everyone begins to learn, so we can start then when I can pair you with a wolf more your size and strength and you can both learn." It would be a good exercise in pack unity as well. Qanik made a note to do that as soon as possible.

speech.

Misha

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
player
04-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Misha would smile politely at Qanik, at her comments about congratulating her upon her soon pregnancy. "Thank you, Qanik. And I would appreciate it very much so if you did bring up the news with Roman," she nodded. Blue grey gaze would sparkle with curiosity as Qanik began speaking about how they would soon have a pack meeting and pair each other up, improving their fight and defense skills. It all sounded good to Misha. "Well Qanik, it was nice meeting you," Misha said with a nice quick bow, then turned around and walked away, glad to have had that conversation with Qanik.

OOC: ~Exit Misha