size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

Pride - PansexualTeacherSamhain 2022Statue 5 WorshipDouble MasterWordy
05-28-2023, 02:39 PM

Busying herself with taking care of the still, Halo finds herself forgetting just how heavy it was. The pieces, the parts... and the still itself, filled with alcohol that was ready to be collected. Between her and Mr. Raccoon, they were fighting to move it. Negotiating it was awkward, tiresome. She panted, between the effort and the warm summer day. That, and her head still wasn't quite right after the whole incident with Crux's cat. They hadn't meant any harm, it wasn't their fault... why did she still tremble and shake when she was alone? It had been two days now, why was she still in a delayed sort of fight or flight? Right, fight, flight, or freeze. Halo always seemed to land on freeze.

As with all awful thoughts, she was trying desperately to distract herself. Trying, fighting a losing battle against herself. With a grumble, she set the large, awkward contraption back down. "Can you go get Mortis for me, please? If he's not busy, of course." Halo looked to her companion, taking a seat beside the large jug. As much as she hates intruding on others' time, Mort has never once made her feel bad about it. They're friends, the best of friends and she's grateful that he's returned home. This was a good excuse to pull him from whatever he was doing, and hang out with him in the process. Not that she needed an excuse, but sometimes... she feels like she does.

"Speech"

[Image: m4UQRpx.png]
[Image: nvtQgrf.gif]

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

An icon representing the specialty Marauder Marauder

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 1Critical Hit!Valentines 2020
05-28-2023, 02:52 PM
The plan was for Hika to wrap things up in Valta, and then meet him in the Armada. As the days turned into weeks, Mortis began to realise that Hika had changed his mind. He knew he hadn't been great company lately. He did a lot of mopping, and he couldn't seem to stay satisfied with any certain home. Moving Hika from one place to another. He couldn't blame the koi boy for wanting to settle down instead of being dragged across the continent once again.

The realisation left him even more empty than usual. He struggled to complete his daily tasks, and he hated his empty den. Once upon a time, fleetingly, he had been surrounded by warm bodies. He's still remembered what it had been like to share a den with his parents and siblings. He had never liked to be alone.

When Mr Racoon came from him, he wiped his eyes. He hadn't been crying or anything, it was due from the tree tops that he had shaken loose. He smiled at the Racoon, and followed him to Halo. He embraced his friend with a wing, fixing that smile to his expression. "Hey Halo, how can I help?"

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

Master Intellectual (240)

An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

05-28-2023, 03:01 PM

Mr. Raccoon wasn't gone for long, with Mortis close behind him. Halo's eyes lit up at the sight, pleased that they'd come so quickly. It wasn't an emergency or anything, of course, but sometimes her companion had a bit of a skewed sense of urgency. That was okay too, he was doing his best. It's the dancing of her gaze as it lands on Mort's face, a wag of her tail, a big of an excited wiggle. "The alcohol is done, but I need help lifting it so we can pour it into jars." She explains, gesturing to the large, full glass still where it sits heavily on the ground.

"If you're not busy, or um, don't have plans for today I was hoping you could help me dump the still into buckets, and then from the buckets I can jar it.
It's just heavy. Also um, I missed you."
Was she over-explaining? Yes. But she's also giddy and excited to see her friend, looking up to him in earnest as she gestures to the carefully cleaned pails beside her. They were laid out thoughtfully, in hopes that the process would go as smoothly as possible. Halo could hope, right? Her smile is excited, maybe a bit sheepish.

"Speech"

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-28-2023, 03:29 PM
He found himself looking over her set up with curiosity. Already pulled from his dark thoughts by the distraction and current company. She wanted to transfer the still into buckets and from there jar it. That should be easy enough, right? "Yeah, I'd love to" he said "I've no plans. I missed you, too" He moved to the still she had been trying to move. He opened it and sniffed the contents. "It smells good, what did you add to this batch?" He asked as he lifted it with a grunted. He used his wings, bringing them forward almost like extra wings to help stabilise the still as he tilted it into the first bucket. It was heavy, and full, so it splashed liberally. Spraying his legs before he could righten it.

He blushed, carefully bringing the still over to the next bucket. Glancing over at Halo to make sure she wasn't about to dismiss him for wasting her product. "Sorry he said a little sheepishly as he poured the next one. This time it wasn't as full and he had a little more control.

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

05-28-2023, 03:53 PM

The praise has her borderline beaming. Something about approval, and not just from anyone-- from Mort. It makes her happier than she'd admit out loud, and that's okay. "Juniper, this batch is mostly for market so I wanted to make something really special." She perks up, happy to chatter away about the spirits. Though it splashed, Halo remains relaxed as she holds the pail steady. "You don't need to apologize, it's awfully heavy." She wags her tail softly as they work together, the pails filling with clear liquid.

"How have you been? How's being home?" She inquires softly as they work away, tone of voice conversational and gentle. While Halo wouldn't push... well, sometimes friends know when something is off. The girl was equally surprised that they hadn't seen Hikaru yet, figuring he'd be back by now. Strange indeed.

"Speech"

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-28-2023, 05:20 PM
He'd spent so much of his life using his wings as extra limbs, that he was able to use them to support the still without a second thought. They couldn't take on much weight, but the added balance kept him from spilling any more. Set up like that, he was able to pour multiple more, until the still was starting to feel light in his paws.

His ears flattened a little as Halo asked how he was finding being home. "Well…" he said, not wanting to impose. "I seem to have gotten kicked out of my tree house. I don't suppose you have any space?" He said, keeping his voice teasing ao she could easily say no. He glanced up at her as he poured, wondering what he would find in her expression.

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

05-28-2023, 05:45 PM

His ears flatten. Her guard goes up. A wrinkle of worry forms in the center of her forehead, the worry she'd tried to keep pressed into place so far. Her instincts hadn't failed her, and there was something wrong. Still, she does her best to keep her gaze trained on the work, carefully screwing the lids tightly to each jar. Had to make sure they were sealed properly, after all. Not only that, she didn't want to make Mort feel even worse about the situation. Had she been selfish to want him back at home so badly?

Right, the treehouse. "They moved in sometime after you left, after Hazel got better." Her tone is gentle, but at the prospect he move into her den, Halo lit up. She couldn't help it. Living together in the hollowed out tree that he'd helped set up for her when they first moved in? She couldn't think of anything better. "I'd love that, I have plenty of space! It's a little cluttered, but I can get everything tidied up and put away, and ceilings should be plenty tall enough that you won't bang your head." She's animated now, excitement coloring her words. "I might need your help raising the herb drying racks though, they're um... probably right about head height for you, actually." Halo's tone was apologetic, but she couldn't help but let the smile sink straight into each word.

"When do you want to move in? Like, um, after we get these sorted out and put away?" Her tail wags, causing the whole wolf to wiggle with it. Maybe she was getting ahead of herself, but that's Halo for you. She's excited.
"Speech"

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-28-2023, 05:59 PM
Her enthusiasm and instant agreement warmed him. His grin was more natural now, more honest. He set the still now, flexing his cramping paws and laughed softly at her. He shuffled closer and put a wing over her. Starting to feel… like maybe he did belong here. Like maybe he didn't have to be so alone. "We could! But we don't have to rearrange too much. I can move around your plants" he suggested. Otherwise, she wouldn't be able to reach them herself. He didn't want to inconvenience her too much. 

"Alright, how do you want to bottle these?" He asked as he looked to the buckets Halo had been holding. He reluctantly pulled his wing away from her and turned his attention back to their work.

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

05-28-2023, 06:19 PM

He offered to move her indoor plants-- he was good like that. Thoughtful, something she appreciated very much. She smiled softly, nodding once. "Thank you. It's going to be good to give the place a good tidy, too. I did a spring clean and put the summer door back on, but you know how things get." Maybe a little sheepish. The den itself was cluttered, but cozy. Homey. She'd done everything she could to make the place feel like a home for herself, as well as being welcoming for anyone who came by needing her services as a healer. As a healer, as a friend. Cultivating the environment that she wanted to be within, manifesting some happiness and stability for herself. Trying to keep the grey at bay. Having Mort back helped with that, too.

She tucks in close to the outstretched wing, the comfort of being close to him something she couldn't deny, something she couldn't argue against. His presence calms her anxious mind, and she's grateful for him. Her brow furrows for a moment, moving to fuss over his paw as he stretches. Halo reaches out softly for it, gentle and concerned. "Here, let me see?" It was physically demanding work, and she worries about her friend over-extending himself in the midst of it.

"We can bring the pails back to my den, I have a bunch of jars laid out and sanitized. I should send Dread out looking for more jars sometime, they're a hot commodity." She jokes with a soft smile, thinking fondly of the boy. He'd been avoiding her, to a degree, lately. While it seemed like he felt as if he'd let her down, it was quite the opposite. The boy was finding himself, just like they all were. Though his interests had shifted and changed, Halo is proud of him-- not upset.

"I'll take care of the still tomorrow, Mr. Raccoon can get the lid on nice and tight." She directs her companion gently, thanking him as he does as requested. Halo lifts one of the heavy, quite full pails. Ready to head back towards her home-- their home. How lovely. How lovely it all was.
"Speech"

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-28-2023, 06:28 PM
He realised his wording had been ambiguous, and he wasn't sure if she had taken his meaning correctly. He was happy to duck and move around her plants instead of changing a system she was already accustomed to. 

As she offered to look at his legs, he raised one to her so she could take it and see it was nothing to worry about. "Just needs a stretch," he explained. 

She suggested they head back to her den to do the bottling, and he nodded his head in agreement. He shook out his body, sending a couple loose feathers drifting before he went for the pail. He carefully heated it and followed her to her den… their den. Home. Maybe. 

They reached the door and he looked about at the den. He hadn't looked at it too hard since he had helped her make it and left for Valta. But it had grown a great deal since then. Her gardens were growing, but he wondered if she might appreciate a few additions added. Like making a patio and setting up a little bonfire for them to enjoy the evenings outside. He was a little uncertain about suggesting too many changes, he didn't want her thinking he was taking over…

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

05-28-2023, 06:43 PM

There's a skip in her step as they walk, a glimmer to her gaze. Comfortable here, beside him. Mortis was the one that made her feel like she belonged somewhere. She belonged here, she had a purpose and a place. Both of them are different, especially when it comes to the crew within the Armada. Halo is industrious, but she's too gentle. Far too gentle to stand among the ranks of the warriors, and he's the one that's never made her feel lesser for it. Embracing differences and all that-- Halo is grateful for it. She's grateful for him. Some day she'd tell him as much.

"It's a bit messy right now. I was looking for some echinacea seeds to give Sedna when she was up to visit and that made a bit of a mess, and with the lessons for the yearlings and the apprentices well... I may have fallen behind on keeping things tidy." Maybe a bit sheepish as she pulls back the deerskin door. After setting the pail down, Halo moved to tie the flap back, allowing light to flood into her cozy home. The jars were all laid out on the rough hewn table that monopolized the middle of the room. A cozy sort of clutter, the surfaces clean but not tidy. Your crazy aunt's home, filled with sewing notions and herbs, bits and bobs, healer kit and snacks and games. All the most wonderful things.

"I've been sleeping on that pallet across from the fireplace, but all of the shelves and stuff can be moved, you're welcome to pick out wherever you'd like and we can re-arrange however." It was a little nest, a few modest furs. Halo slept curled up tightly, she didn't need much, and it was just big enough that she didn't hang off on one edge or another. She set about beginning the bottling process, tipping each pail into the smaller jars first. They'd go quickly at market, and were the easiest to trade for. Mr. Raccoon was close behind her, screwing each lid on tightly as they went.

"Speech"

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-28-2023, 08:12 PM
They awkwardly manavoured their buckets past the door and into the interior. Mort was careful not to spill any inside her home. He sat it down on an empty surface and looked about the place. There was a comfortable clutter to the place. Something that proudly proclaimed "this home is lived in'. She'd accumulated a decent amount of stuff since he'd been there last. 

Halo had already started work as he looked about. His eyes fell on her bed, and scrutinised the space as he considered squeezing in his own furs beside hers. 

He turned back to Halo and the alcohol and moved to tip his own bucket into jars. Gently sliding then towards the raccoon as they filled. The aroma of juniper and alcohol filling the space already occupied by other herbs and growing things. He sneezed once, through he wasn't offended by the scents. Just adjusting. "It's homely, it speaks of a life. I keep going back down to bare minimum as I move" he said with a sigh.

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

05-28-2023, 10:23 PM

Juniper mixed with the other scents that lived here. Lavender predominant among them, sage too. There's so much honey tucked away in different jars and pots, it's impossible for the home to not smell of it. Herbal without being medicinal, Halo was terribly pleased with herself and with her home. Lived in, in the best way. It's a comfortable affair, the whole thing.

Between the healer and her companion, they make quick work of it. Small jars at first, and then a few larger ones for her own stores. As she gets to the bottom of the pail, she's a bit surprised. Though she was out of jars, there was still a reasonable amount left in the bottom. She considered for a moment before remembering that she'd taken up some of her precious jars for honey storage too. That was alright, it would leave some for them to enjoy. "Think that's enough work done for today?" Halo smiled softly to Mort, grabbing two clean tea cups from the cupboard and pouring a portion of the gin for each of them. There was still more than enough in the pail.

"I haven't tried this batch yet. I thought about distilling it with some lavender, but I was worried it would taste like soap." Halo smiled softly, pulling a jar of honey lavender syrup from her pantry. "I think we'd probably benefit from a healer's shed, or storage of some sort beyond the shelving in here. It would probably be more organized that way," she admits sheepishly. Halo goes out of her way to not ask for much, always worried she'll be a bigger drain on pack resources than she should be.

"That's how things were, before here. Before the Armada. We only kept what we could carry, and what wouldn't slow us down. That's probably why I'm like this now," there's something far away in her gaze for a moment. There's never fondness, on the rare occasions she speaks of her before. Still, a rueful smile curses her lips, thinking about why she is the way she is. Nature was brutal. Her before was brutal. Maybe her radical softness is more intentional than anyone is allowed to know. "It's your home now, too. It will speak of both of our lives." Halo speaks it, her words soft but weighted. Spoken like the law.

"Speech"

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-29-2023, 01:28 AM

“I think so” He agreed, voice teasing as he also looked at the remaining liquid and lack of jars. Perhaps he needed to scavenge around some to help top up her supplies… “Mind if I grab my things? Then I can settle in, and won't have to go back out after we’ve been drinking” He explained. Once he had gotten agreement from his new flatmate (Or was it more his new host?) he ducked out of her cosy den to grab his things.

He didn’t have much. Some warm blankets, a blanket he used to carry his belongings from one home to another, and a collection of feathers from when he moulted. Honestly it was… rather small to consider it was all he owned. He glanced at the feathers for a moment, thinking of another wolf who loved to receive his feathers as gifts, and shook his head. Hika had moved on, and all he could do was hope he was happy and that Mort hadn’t messed up his life too much.

He trotted back to Halo and her den and settled inside. As he did so, she explained that she hadn’t tried this batch before. “We could definitely organise a collective space for healer supplies” He agreed as he placed his bedding beside Halo’s and placed his feathers on a shelf. That done, he grabbed his cup and settled down beside her. His eyes found the softness of her lilac gaze. “I don’t think I know how to make my mark anymore” he remarked as she spoke of this place speaking of the both of them. He took a long drink from the alcohol, too quick! While the flavours were great, it was something that was supposed to be savoured, not sculled. His eyes watered as he settled it back down.

"Speech"

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

06-03-2023, 12:22 AM

She finished sorting out the jars as he went to get his things. Tucking them away carefully, stacking them in the cart that she could bring into the Col tomorrow. All things considered, it was a good haul. She'd been able to make the best of the materials on hand, and she was pleased with it. Hopefully their clientele would be pleased too. Halo hadn't really planned on making liquor for anything more than healing, not at first. To see it take off like this... she smiled to herself. For someone who can't function unless someone else needs her, it's made her feel needed enough. That helps.

When he returns, he talks about making his mark. She considers for a moment, taking a sip from her cup. It had come out quite nicely, now that she's able to taste it. "Tell me about the things you love. Tell me about what makes you feel the most alive." The words are soft, taking another thoughtful sip from her cup. Making your mark was hard-- heck, she didn't know how she'd make hers, either. Something about concepts of eternity, and all the things that went with it. Halo doesn't know how to process them all, but now that it's on her mind, she won't be able to shake it. Without interrupting, she crosses to the space he's laid out as his bed, adding a few more blankets from the ones stored within her den. Carefully arranging them, listening as she works.

"Speech"

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

06-03-2023, 12:54 AM

Mortis took another sip of the alcohol, savouring the taste of it on his tongue. He pushed his bundle of blankets onto the floor near Halo’s own, and settled his rump into them. His cup beside him. “The things I love?” He asked softly. He thought of Hika with a painful jolt. He thought of Hana - of who she used to be - of Mal, from his childhood. Lost to the wind. “I’ve always loved meeting new people, seeing the new faces around the Armada. I like it when I realise I can do something to help, like helping Dee settle in” He said softly, a small smile playing on his lips. It did help him forget his own troubles, at least for a while.

“When do I feel most alive? I don’t think I have, Halo. Not for a long time” He admitted softly. “When I’m surrounded by people I love, I guess. I miss sleeping in piles” He sighed softly, and took a longer sip of his drink. “What about you, Halo?” he asked, looking up at her as she worked around him, adding blankets to his lot. His lips twitched into a smile at her almost compulsive need to help.

"Speech"

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

06-03-2023, 01:08 AM

Halo was thoughtful as she listened to Mort speak. He talks about the more personal aspects of the Armada. He speaks of meeting new packmates, and of Dee. Halo can't help but smile as she thinks of the girl too. "You did great with her, by the way. She's lovely, and it seems like she's settling in pretty well." She notes softly, finally returning to her cup and taking another sip. A warmth flickered to life in her chest, a gentle buzzing in her system. It wasn't unlike her bees, and that thought made her smile too.

"That's something I think you get that not many others here do. Sirius is a good leader, but he ah... can really put the war in Warlord. You're less intimidating, and more approachable. Maybe something to do with that?" She's thinking out loud, not really sure where the thought will take her. For as much as Halo adored Sirius, she was also more than willing to admit that he could be scary. Though the thought isn't fully formed, she's able to sit and think by his side. It was enough, in her mind. At least she could help talk things out, right?

"Speech"

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

06-03-2023, 01:21 AM

“Compassion?” Mortis said, his lips twitching. The warmth of the aromatic alcohol was already sinking into his bones. He relaxed a little further into the furs with a soft sigh. He had more padding to lean on, now that Halo had added to the pile. His wings stretched out on either side of him, brushing into this or the other every time he moved. Though his movements were slow and careful, his wingtips soft, and nothing broke.

“I think sometimes Sirius sees that more as a fault than a strength. That’s why my time as Heir didn’t work out.” It was true that he and his father had more differences than things in common. So perhaps it was strange that he longed so much to be home when he was gone. “What are the things you love, Halo?” He prompted gently.

"Speech"

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

06-03-2023, 01:58 AM

Halo made a mental note to do some straightening up, some re-arranging, and to move some of the shelving in her cluttered little home to the new shed once it was set up. Mort would have more space for his wings, and her jars wouldn't be in jeopardy-- a real win-win. Any time she'd run out of storage she'd simply built, asked for help building, or sent Dread to scavenge for more. It lead to a very homey but fairly cluttered environment, something that reflected the state of her head at any given time too. She's happy to settle near Mortis, basking in the company of her dearest friend.

He speaks of compassion, of his time as heir-- this surprises him. For some reason, it's never occurred to Halo that he'd been the heir to the Armada. Could she picture Mortis as Warlord some day? Speaking of leadership, it had been some time since she'd seen Azure... hm. "I think it takes more guts to show compassion than anything else." Her words were soft, taking another sip from her cup. It was nearly empty now, and she crossed to refill it from the bucket, wordlessly offering some to Mort as well.

The things she loved... there were so many things. She is a soft thing, her heart tender and filled with love. She wears it pinned to her sleeve, most days. After thinking for a moment, she speaks. "I love the friends I've been able to choose as my family. You, Sirius, Inoki, Sedna, Lia, Mr. Raccoon, all of you." Her forehead creases at the thought of Inoki, heart squeezing in her chest. Halo hoped that she was okay, wherever she was. It doesn't occur to her that Lia has gone missing from the Hallows. "I love helping, knowing that I'm making a difference. Knowing that I can help make someone's day better, or help them learn something new."

She takes another sip, thoughtfully. Wistfully. "I love puppies, working with Andy and Dread has been so much fun. Getting to help Sirius raise Hazel, too, that was a privilege, even if I'm pretty sure I messed some things up." A far away look in her eye as she returns to settle back down comfortably. "I love the smell of lavender, and the friendly buzzing of my bees when I go see them. I love the first spring mornings after the snow has melted off but the ground is still mostly frozen. The way that the frost crunches under my paws, and the way the sun makes it shine." A gentle smile playing on her face, she's rambling now. That's okay. Halo tends to ramble, anyway.

"Speech"

Mortis

Armada
Lieutenant

Master Fighter (245)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

06-03-2023, 02:12 AM

As Halo settled in near him, he moved the closest wing. Wrapping it gently around her. His hold was light, of course, and if she seemed uncomfortable, he would shake it loose. It was nice, her den was homely. He found he liked the clutter, the knowledge that this place was lived in. full of warmth and growing things.

As she filled her cup and offered him some more, he leaned forward to pass his own cup to her. Surprised how light it felt. He had drunk well speaking and listening, and hadn’t realised how often he had brought the cup to his muzzle. Perhaps the warmth he felt was inside him now, more than the space of the den. He was getting a little light headed. He hadn’t eaten much today, and the alcohol was going straight to his head. He found he didn’t mind.

He found himself grinning at Halo as she spoke of what she loved - of helping make anothers day a little better. “I think we are much the same there” He said. Perhaps that was what they had built their friendship on in the first place. “Puppies… I wouldn’t mind some someday, but I’m not sure that’s on the cards” He admitted wistfully. “You love beautiful things, Halo”

"Speech"

Thread Move Log
Thread Forum From To
1. never taught me how to drown Mile-High Woods 02:39 PM, 05-28-2023 08:49 PM, 08-14-2023