Expert Fighter (175)

Advanced Intellectual (105)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
09-06-2023, 01:08 AM

The island was left behind, a spar on the beach, and still Charlie’s nerves were on fire. He thought of what Dread had said, and no matter how he looked at the situation he couldn’t understand what had gone wrong. He had noticed the absence of Dread, noticed the shift in his father’s demeanor. His paws carried him toward Sirius’ den. He felt off in meeting Deluge. She hadn’t attacked him, but he couldn’t help but feel as though speaking with her had been wrong. Was it guilt that ate at him now? The guilt of knowing more than he should? For interacting with a wolf that was meant to be an enemy of the Armada? Charlie sighed heavily.

If these mixed up feelings were what he was feeling… How was the Warlord fairing? What weight was he carrying? Alone? That thought caused Charlie to flinch as he stepped in the tunnels. He would make the rest of the way up quietly, only pausing once he’d reached the outside of Sirius’ den. Softly the yearling would call, hoping that speaking with his father wouldn’t be a mistake. “...dad?” Was the Warlord even in? It was the middle of the day after all. He could be patrolling or… something. Part of him hoped the Warlord wasn’t in and was keeping himself busy.

Isolating would be more of a concern, and continue to raise red flags for the tawny yearling.

"Speech," 'Thought.'

Sirius

"Warlord"

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (275)

An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

LegendaryWealthySamhain 2022Statue 1 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 1
WordySilver Medal 2020Critical Hit!Critical Fail!Trick 2019Promptober 2019
09-06-2023, 01:36 AM
The Warlord had struggled with sleep for the majority of his life. Lately, some of the night terrors of old had returned . When he did manage to snatch a moment here or there, he was often awoken with Bear holding him down to ensure he didn’t lash out and hurt himself. It left him ragged, and avoiding his bed more than ever. I'm not turning my back on my whole family. Just on you.

He was heading back to his den to grab a clean set of bracers when he realised there was a wolf outside of his den. It took him a frightening moment to realise who it was, as sleep deprivation fogged his brain. His heat rate kicked up a notice at the sight of a tawny wolf. Zee. He felt something squeeze at his heart, and then release it again. No, of course not. It was Charlie. “Charlie, what can I do for you?” He said, assuming the younger wolf was there looking for him.

"Speech"

Charlton

Armada
Warrior

Expert Fighter (175)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
09-06-2023, 02:02 AM

When a voice answered, it came from behind him. The tawny wolf would turn, concern crossing onto his features. His father looked more worn down than normal, and immediately his ears would fall. The incident with Dread had shaken his father. A wolf he thought unmoveable twice in his life. The first time he saw him falter was when his mother had died. Charlie frowned. Avoiding the subject wouldn’t help them… but guilt welled up in his gut as he looked at the Warlord. His gaze fell, much like the manner of a pup that knew that he had done wrong. But he was Sirius’ pup, wasn’t he? He was older now, but he was still a child of the Warlord. He drew in a breath, and began to speak.

“I went to Atlantis Island earlier today. I met someone there…” He lifted his gaze. He was hurting. His dad was hurting. “I’ve noticed you’d been different, and that one of my siblings hasn’t been around. I… She told me you and Dread got into it. And that you stabbed her.” He did not use Deluge’s name. Nor did his body language change. “I know you well enough to know it would not be without reason…” A whine passed his lips.

“I trust my family before I trust those you’ve said are an enemy of the Armada. Please dad, tell me what happened…” If they had enemies, they had done something to become enemies, right? But then why would Dread…?

"Speech," 'Thought.'

Sirius

"Warlord"

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (275)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

LegendaryWealthySamhain 2022Statue 1 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 1
09-06-2023, 02:16 AM
He tensed at Charlie’s crypting opening, his muzzle pressing into a thin line. He was very much waiting for the other shoe to drop. Trouble followed trouble, and he wondered what wolf Charlie had met that made him so hesitant. Deluge. Charlie didn’t need to say her name for him to understand. But what was she doing at his back door? And where was Dread. He tried not to think of the whereabouts of his child. Dread had made his choice.

He hesitated, but heard the pleading in Charlie’s voice. He did not want to speak of it, and he was tired. So tired. He settled down in front of his son, and closed his eyes for a very long moment. A soft breath escaped him. Lately, it felt as if old age was catching up with him in leaps and bounds. “Directly after the raid, I found Deluge fighting to kidnap Dread. I did not know that they knew each other, I thought it was revenge for the raid. She knocked him down, and he hit his head. I saw him fall, and I stepped in. I stood over him and fought the raider, and when I won Dread got back to his paws and attempted to attack me. To put himself between me and Deluge. She tried to kidnap him, and he defended her. He made his choice, his feelings for me clear. He’s done living in my shadow, or so he told me. So I released him from the Armada. He made his choice, Charlie. He made it, and it wasn’t us.” Seer's fault, Dread had told him.

His eyes were closed again, and he raised a paw to the base of his muzzle, fighting off the emotions he would rather not display in front of his child. “I know I’ve made some bad decisions since the… since your mother left us. Clearly, the mistakes I've made are unforgivable. Forgive me, Charlie. I think old age is making me despondent” He said, turning his head to the side.

"Speech"

Charlton

Armada
Warrior

Expert Fighter (175)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
09-06-2023, 02:36 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2023, 02:38 AM by Charlton. Edited 2 times in total.)

The weight his father carried. Charlie could see it pressing on him. As the Warlord settled before him Charlie kept focused on him. His heart hurt in his chest seeing his father so troubled. His ears lay flat, and he listened, listened to the part of the story from his father’s view. It had been more than just the fact they were enemies. But there were things that didn’t add up on Deluge’s side. If Dread was such a dear friend why would she take him as a prisoner? Charlie let out a growl. The sound was loud, guttural. There were times when Sirius’ lessons might have been hard, but Charlie never once considered his father to be unfair or trying to make his children live in his shadow. It hurt. Gods it hurt, but knowing how it hurt Sirius switched the normally well meaning boy to angry.

“That choice was not your fault.” He hadn’t realized that angry tears had begun to prick his eyes. “What you supposed to think, after a raid? From the time we were small, you made decisions the best you could for us, and for the Armada. You have not made mistakes.” And the fact that Dread would make his father feel that way made him feel so sick. How could Dread say such things? Charlie growled again. “Any time you needed to be harder on us, it was out of love. When you took Silveris, threatened me with never becoming a warrior… It was not to leave me in your shadow. You wanted to make sure I would be safe… not freeze in battle. …and seeing him fall, seem hurt and threatened… what were you supposed to think!?”

Charlie drew in a breath. He stayed quiet for a moment, shaking from his ear to his tail tip. “Maybe he took it differently, but I’ve always found your actions out of love. At worst overprotective… but you’re our dad. You’re supposed to be.” He felt that anger continue to spike. “...She confessed to taking him prisoner too. Even if your friend did need to get away, that’s not the way you do it. That’s not right.” He drew in another breath, and the boy would draw closer to Sirius. He hugged his father tight. He could feel his heart beating in his chest, and Charlie’s voice would soften as he tried to get ahold of himself. As angry as he was, seeing his dad like this… his dad needed his reassurance now. His love.

“You didn’t do anything wrong.” He was sure of it. How many others would have thought as Sirius had? “...and you have nothing to be sorry for.”

"Speech," 'Thought.'

Sirius

"Warlord"

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (275)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

09-06-2023, 02:46 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2023, 02:46 AM by Sirius. Edited 1 time in total.)
The Warlord's eyes were old and sad as he watched Charlie digest what had happened. He wished Deluge hadn’t stuck her nose in this, as well. He would have rather spared Charlie the full details, but once he knew part of it, he deserved to know the rest. He deserved to know what Deluge had done, and the choice Dread had made. It was strange to see Charlie so worked up and mad, and he raised a paw. ‘Come here Charlie” He said softly, and when Charlie drew closer and hugged him, he wrapped his paw around Charlie. Holding him close to his chest, where his heart was. He leaned his head over his son's shoulder. Holding him close, breathing in the scent of him. Silently, tears began to fall from his cheeks. He did not sob, nor shake, nor make any motion or noise. He just silently soaked his son’s shoulder.

“Oh, Charlie.” He said softly after a moment. “You're young, and don’t see them yet. But I’ve made plenty of mistakes in my life. I forced the issue with Dread, I told him to choose, and so he did. He felt alienated and I didn’t see it, I didn’t help him. But I love you, all of you. For all of my faults, that will always hold true.” He said, not yet ready to release his hold on Charlie, to let him go. He needed this. “I miss her, Charlie.”

"Speech"

Charlton

Armada
Warrior

Expert Fighter (175)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
09-06-2023, 05:43 PM

His father held him close, and Charlie felt his anger waver in the hug. He felt the tears. His father did not make noise, nor shake, but he knew his grief. It caused his heart to sink in his chest. His ears would lower as Sirius confessed what happened. The yearling scolded himself for letting his emotions flare like that… but he wasn’t sure he’d consider what Sirius had done in that moment a true mistake. To see his son with someone pierced as their enemy, to see his son bested… Charlie gave a soft sigh, close to his dad, giving the man the time he needed. He would be there for Seer no matter what. His strength was listening and observing but… maybe he had failed Dread too. He hadn’t seen that his brother felt different.

“You’re not the only one who missed that.” His voice had quieted. “I did some training lessons with him. I never knew.” Regret washed over him. “...all the same… I don’t know if I’d expected you to do differently given the circumstances you arrived at after the raid.” Charlie hugged his dad a bit tighter. “It was a quick decision… filled with the heat of the moment… but I think out of worry it could put the rest of us in danger…” Maybe if he had paid attention to more of his family, they wouldn’t be missing several members now. If his father had failed them, then he wasn’t the only one. They were all to blame.

The yearling offered the Warlord his support, his understanding. He thought of what Deluge had said. Maybe… maybe he should try to reach out to Dread. If he saw her again, he’d have to ask her about his brother. For being an enemy, she hadn’t harmed him, even when they were alone. In fact, she had been different but as close to kind as he’d expect a stranger to be. If not a bit more so. Maybe it would be worth bringing up another point to Sirius later, but now was not the time to address such things. This moment was for them, to manage grief, and when Charlie heard the next words his heart clutched in his chest.

“I know dad. Me too.” His expression softened. “Her loss hurt all of us… but I know it hurt you the most. You had the most time with her.” Years of bonds and trials together. Charlie took in a breath, continuing to speak. “From what I remember about mom, she only wanted to see all of us safe and happy… and… …and you’ve been trying to be strong for all of us. Hold a pack together, a family together, raise a slew of young pups… when you haven’t been given the proper time to grieve. The time we spent at the Hallows helped, but you don’t just get over a loss like that in a season or two.” If he still missed her, he couldn’t imagine the pain his father had. They had more than one litter together. Years of their lives.

“I wish I could do more to take that pain away from you.” Charlie confessed. “From all members of our family.” Her let his eyes slide closed. He was sure his mom would be mourning too, if only she had known what had happened between his brother and father. “It is okay to grieve.” Charlie told him. “...and I think it's okay to live life, too. Mom wouldn’t want to see you like this. If you find a way to be happier, I think you should take it.” No one would ever replace Zee, but he doubted she would expect the Warlord to stand on his own for the rest of his days. He was older, but he was not knocking on death’s door. He needed others by his side. Charlie opened his eyes once more. Tears were pricked in them, but the yearling had one more thing to say.

“Even if you make mistakes, I’m going to be here to support you. If you need someone to lean on, you can lean on me. I don’t have the experience to stand as a secondary at your side, but I’m here to do what I can, no matter the rank I’m in. I love you, dad, and I don’t want you to change.” Even as the Warlord his father needed support. No wolf could handle everything alone.

"Speech," 'Thought.'

Sirius

"Warlord"

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (275)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

09-06-2023, 09:20 PM
He slowly but inevitably regained control of himself, and the tears stilled. He didn’t like to cry in front of his children, but he treasured this moment with Charlie. This closeness, and the way parts of his scent held markers of Zee. He was family, and there was nothing the Warlord wouldn’t do for him. “Thank you, Charlie. For hearing me out. But this isn’t your burden to carry, and it’s important that you remember that your brother loves you. What transpired was between me and him. At the end of the day, you have full rights to seek him out, to hear his side of things. If that brings you near the Raiders Hollow, so be it. Just know that I will come and get you if they decide to keep you” He removed his head from his son’s shoulder and kissed somewhere around his forehead.

Talk of Zee threatened to send him over again, but he swallowed it back. Once was enough, or he feared he would fall apart completely. “You do enough, Charlie. You ease my pain simply by being you, and I’m so proud of who you’ve become” He said, meaning every word. The Warlord was an old man, and soon this last litter of his would be without both their parents. How would his children fare? He worried how much time he had left, and if he would ever get the chance to fix this rift between himself and Dread.

"Speech"

Charlton

Armada
Warrior

Expert Fighter (175)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
09-06-2023, 10:59 PM

As his father spoke the yearling gave a nod of understanding. It wasn't his burden, but he knew he would help support his father regardless. If the Warlord needed to talk, or a trusted shoulder to cry on, he would be there. His father mentioned him heading to the Hallows, saying he had the right to go. He was also sure to mention he would come for his son should he be kept against his will. He received a kiss from Seer, and Charlie offered him a reassuring smile. "I do what I do because I love you guys, the Armada. It makes me happy doing what I can." He drew in a breath. The talk of his mother was still a tender subject, but they were making progress on it.

For the moment, however, the yearling wanted to be transparent about his intentions. "I'm not sure when I intend to go to the Raider's Hallow… but I will go. I want to talk to Dread, and hear what has made him feel this way." His expression softened. "I know the Armada has reasons to distrust them… but there is a reason Dread trusts Deluge and would stand up for her. When we were alone there were no threats, no violence. Just two kids enjoying a scenic view." Charlie shuffled on his paws.

"It is too early to say for certain but… maybe the problem isn't necessarily the whole of the pack. Conflict is a natural part of life, isn't it? Maybe it's the ones who take that too far, rather than just doing what is necessary." Charlie averted his gaze. He felt a knot in his stomach at sharing this information with his dad but he needed to say it. "If we had to face Dread in battle, I couldn't look at him as an enemy… even if he is with them." Charlie confessed.

"...when I go, I'll bring Silveris. Should any of them cause trouble, she will come back for you." He drew a breath. "Deluge gave me her word I wouldn't be harmed coming to talk to Dread… and I want to believe her." But he wasn't naive enough to believe that every raider might behave, either. They were enemies of the Armada for a reason. But if she had gained Dread's trust, her word was good for something. Her methods rough, but she cared for Dread's right to speak with his siblings. That counted for something... Right?

"Speech," 'Thought.'

Sirius

"Warlord"

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (275)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

09-06-2023, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2023, 11:24 PM by Sirius. Edited 3 times in total.)
As Charlie spoke of the distrust between this pack and that one, he realised there was a high probability that Charlie didn’t know the full conflict between the Armada and the Raiders Hollow - formally the Pirates. “If you do intend to go that way, you should know the full story. You should know that the Pirates - now Raiders often harassed the Armada. One of them kidnapped Hana, another spent a good year harassing Gossamer every chance they got, attempting to maim her, attempting to kill her. Your mother put that pirate down.” He said, his voice soft. “Gil himself trespassed into Armada territory to terrorise and hunt Hana down.” he continued thinking back to all the slights and harassment of their enemies. There was a reason the Armada did not classify them as friendly.

“When we lived in the grassy plains, when the middle litter were just babies, they tried to set our territory on fire. When we came to put it out and stop it spreading, they attempted to maim myself and Azure. That was one of the worst, if that had spread…” He shook his head. “I’m not trying to scare you, or put you off. I’m only telling you to watch your back if you go there, and ensure you have a way to contact me. I’d fight my way through each and every one of them to get you back if I had to.” He promised Charlie. He actually hoped that Charlie was able to find some common ground between himself and Dread and Deluge, but if he was walking into the lion's dead then he needed to know their capacity for hurting others. “I will not bring the Armada to attack the Radiers Hollow - without provocation - while Dread is among them. If we fight him, it's because he’s chosen to come, and to raid us.” He promised Charlie. He was not sure what that would do to them if it came to pass. It would certainly tear a hole in this family.

"Speech"

Charlton

Armada
Warrior

Expert Fighter (175)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Heavy
09-08-2023, 08:55 PM

His father would continue to speak, and putting his own uncertain feelings aside the tawny yearling would let his blue gaze return to his father. The full history between the Raiders and the Armada. Their previous pack, a pack they were all likely part of, harassed them. Kidnapped his aunt, harassed his sister and attempted to maim her. His ears fell, and the realization of just how dangerous their members could be settled on him like a wet blanket. The Armada was strong enough to retaliate, but the fact that this other pack would even go to those lengths to harm his own. He shook… but not with fear. That anger again rose within him. He thought of what Deluge said… would her generation really be different from the deeds of the Pirates and Raiders before her? She clearly meant to raid even when she made her band.

They had even attempted to take the lives of Armada members, children… Was that why they lived in the mountains now? To escape such a thing happening again? "I had no idea…” His expression mingled with anger, but he was trying to hold it in now. He averted his gaze, glaring at the stone off to his right. "I want to believe Dread wouldn’t make friends with someone that might hurt his family like that… but…” The words hung in the air, but the weight of them was clear. He couldn’t be certain that his brother had. If Deluge had been raised among a pack like that, so willing to go to extremes to hurt others, wasn’t she also capable of that? He fought himself. Fought for the fact he wanted to see the good in someone his brother trusted… but also feeling a new sense of wariness wash over him.

Fighting Dread would still be hard if it came down to it… but his father’s words made sense. If Dread came against the Armada, it was because he chose to. As much as Charlie didn’t want to hurt someone his family might care about, he knew he couldn’t, and wouldn’t, sit idly by when the Raider’s came knocking again.

"I’ll be as careful as I can.” A promise. He knew going alone was its own risk. If the Raiders chose to, they had numbers on their side to hurt or even imprison him. But if they dared, they would bring the wrath of the Armada upon them. Charlie looked back to his father now, a question at his lips. "These actions were what brought us to attack them in the last raid, weren’t they?” It was making sense now. He drew in a breath, shuddering as he continued to try and keep himself calm. The Armada going to their doorstep; the Raider's had deserved it.

"Speech," 'Thought.'

Sirius

"Warlord"

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (275)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

09-09-2023, 05:06 PM
“I have not always been clear on the wrongs the Pirates have done us, it's possible Dread doesn't know the whole of it” He allowed, not wanting Charlie to think the weight of everything he had just said rested on Dread’s shoulders. The Pirates - now Raiders - were not to be trifled with. If Charlie was heading into their territory, it was important he knew exactly what he was getting into. “I know you will, and you have the promise that I would come for you, as well” through that, as if with Deluge’s actions, may yet start the war he had attempted to stop. But he understood that Charlie needed to hear Dread’s side of things, he needed to make sense of what had happened.

At Charlie’s last question, he nodded his head. “Yes. Once the Pirates became the Raiders, I decided to make it clear that we had not forgotten who they were.” He explained. “And, we needed the supplies. With so many wolves and winter coming.”

"Speech"

Thread Move Log
Thread Forum From To
1. What hurts the most Dreamer's Col 01:08 AM, 09-06-2023 06:15 AM, 11-05-2023