Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
NachoMumma

Wordy1KRaiderDream WeaverTeacherStudent
Double MasterSamhain 2022Statue 5 WorshipThe Ooze Participant
02-10-2024, 11:23 PM

It was hard to get to the Castle without tramping through the Starlit Plains and given the reason for her visit was to apologise for her children being so disrespectful, she thought it best to linger on the edge of the Bifrost and send out her brown and white kite with a message to the leaders that she sought a meeting. She found herself a maple at the intersect of the sand, the plain and the grove and made herself comfortable, snacking on strips of dried fish. By her side was a basket, similar to the one taken to Víðarr. Alcohol, some tropical herbs from the island that might be difficult to find this far south, but instead of toys for children, she had included some jewelry that Kenway and Jael had crafted, and some of the fine needles made from snake bone, curved and particularly good for stitching wounds together, or so she had been told.

Of course, after her son had explicitly ignored her direction, she wouldn't be surprised if they didn't show at all. All she could do was wait and hope not all hope was lost.

“Speech.”

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (837)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
02-12-2024, 01:15 AM

A call from the northern end of the Hallows was one of the more unexpected directions to receive a summons from, and the voice that requested an audience with him and his queen was one Artorias had not heard before. Intrigue twitched the dire brute's ears, head rising from his work on the weapons in the armory, Artorias set his project aside and took a pause to wipe the soot and sweat from his paws and face before heading out of the castle to go greet their visitor. He passed by Briar on the way out of Hearthstone, exchanging an affectionate smile with his queen as the alpha pair made their way north across the expansive plains that surrounded their home. The sky was cloudy, but fortunately the rain had held off for now, though the grass was still damp from the previous night's storms. Such was the winter season in Auster...

Arriving at the northern borders a short walk later, Artorias spotted the galactic fur of their visitor from a mile away against the lush greenery of their home. She was not someone he knew, which explained why he hadn't recognized her summons. Yet as they drew nearer, the scent of the Raiders could be detected strong amongst her own scent. Ah, so she was a part of the former pirates... and judging by the way the woman carried herself she was someone worth knowing in the island-dwelling pack. Was this Siduri and Tarnish's mother perhaps? Approaching her, Artorias greeted the stranger with a smile and a dip of his head. "Welcome to the Hallows, Miss Raider. I am Artorias Carpathius, the Lord of Cinder and alpha." Artorias paused just enough to allow Briar to greet their guest and introduce herself as she pleased as well. "I'm guessing you didn't come all this way for the weather." Art chuckled as he squished a dire-sized paw into the damp earth to punctuate his point, tilting his head curiously while he waited for their guest to speak.

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Carpathian"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Briar

The Hallows
Lady of Cinder

Master Fighter (245)

Master Intellectual (240)

An icon representing the specialty Bulwark Bulwark

An icon representing the specialty Bard Bard

gems
size
Large
build
Light
player
Shelby

How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Ooh La LaSamhain 2022LegendaryPride - DemisexualTeacher
The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3VengeanceCritical Fail!Ice Bridge Explorer1K
02-12-2024, 12:13 PM

It wasn't every day that they had an unknown visitor at their borders so even though she knew she didn't need to accompany Artorias to every meeting that was sent out for the alpha pair this time she made a point of putting aside her work long enough to do so. She reached the castle's foyer before Artorias did and waited there for him so the pair could walk together, her husband emerging from the armory shortly after. She returned his smile and gave him a quick peck on the cheek before they headed out toward the border to see who it was that was there to see them today. As they approached she spotted the galaxy-marked woman easily among the greens and browns of their surroundings as well as the basket that was sitting beside her. It certainly wasn't someone she recognized, but just as Artorias did she picked up on the stranger's scent as they got closer–and more importantly the pack that she was associated with.

With a pleasant smile lingering on her lips she stood at Artorias' side while he greeted their guest. Though Siduri was far lighter in coloration, Briar couldn't help but wonder if this was perhaps the wayward girl's mother given the similarity in their scents and the array of colors in her coat. "And I am Briar Carpathius, Lady of Cinder," she chimed in when Art gave her the space to do so, giving the other woman a small dip of her head. She smirked a little with amusement at Artorias' comment about the weather, but her curiosity was firmly fixed on their guest. Given the turbulent relationship between not only the Raiders and The Hallows but also between the Raiders and the Armada it felt quite bold for her to come here on her own like this so if nothing else she had certainly gotten Briar's attention.

"Briar Carpathius"

Modesty

"The Audacity™"

Raiders Hollow
Raid Queen

Master Navigator (306)

Master Intellectual (260)

An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
NachoMumma

02-16-2024, 02:58 AM

It didn't take the leaders long to join her and she made sure to make herself presentable by the time they arrived. Offering an easy smile to the introductions, she nodded to each in turn, “I am Modesty, ah, newly appointed Raid Queen of Raider's Hollow," Her wry smile said as much as it needed to regarding her new title. Perhaps they'd have to come up with something else, but it would do for now. "Not that I've much appetite for raiding myself, I leave that to my mate Gilgamesh. I prefer talking things through wherever possible, and he clearly needs help in the public relations department,” It was perhaps the understatement of the century, but she tried to have some good humor about it. "Since Gilgamesh took leadership of Pirates Plunder from Sparrow, we have moved out to Daager Isle and Dove Island Archipelago, I grew up there when my mother was still a member of Ashen, so it was like going home for me. We leave the Islands open to guests, if you're ever inclined. We've found it... discourages some of the older members more problematic behaviours if they have to swim all the way back to the mainland to cause mischief. There's a difference between raiding and just being a menace, and change... takes time, but I do promise, we are doing our best to rein them in." Formalities aside, that wasn't why she had travelled all this way carting her basket.

“Though that isn't the reason for my visit today, I believe I owe you both my thanks and... several debts for the kindness shown to my youngest brood.” She gestured to the basket she had bought with her. “Though this hardly covers it, I hope it will serve as a symbol of my sincerity. I was rather unwell over the winter and our healer wouldn't let me out for fear I'd overdo it and drop dead.” Her chuckle was dark, but if she didn't laugh about it, she'd start circling the drain. "It really isn't much at all. I do hope they will give you some small measure of peace. I have asked the whole pack to give you some space, at least for a little while." Though the last was delivered with a teasing tone, she genuinely meant it (though clearly Tarnish had already decided otherwise. It would be the eel pit for that boy if he didn't pull his head in).

“Speech.”

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (837)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
03-02-2024, 06:36 PM

As he had suspected, the stranger introduced herself as Modesty, the new alpha of the Raiders. Artorias raised his brows in curiosity; he had thought Gilgamesh the leader of the Raiders. Had a falling out happened between the alpha couple of the once-pirates, or had something happened to Gilgamesh? Artorias had thought decently of the former Raid King from their limited interactions, but hearing that Modesty preferred diplomacy to violence was a refreshing change of pace from what the world had come to expect of the Raiders. Art listened politely and attentively while Modesty filled them in on the brief history of the Raiders, from the day Gilgamesh had taken over to them reclaiming the Archipelago and their tenets. To be honest, it was more than the Lord of Cinder had expected to ever hear from the Raiders' side, and it did give him an appreciation for the efforts they had made to distancing themselves from the reputation of ragtag hooligans the pirates had once been under Sparrow. That alone inspired more confidence in him that these wolves weren't entirely the same miscreants he had dealt with before.

Modesty wasn't done surprising him yet though, as she then presented the alpha couple with some gifts and her gratitude for how they had treated her children. Ah, so this was Siduri and Tarnish's mother! Artorias' face lit up with recognition, softening some with the kindred spirit shared between parents. Regardless of one's walk of life, the bonds between parent and child were universal, and Art understood how Mod was feeling. He had been having this exact same conversation with Hattori for saving his daughters. With her explanations concluded, Artorias turned his head skyward and whistled for his ravens, whispering a quiet command to the pair before they took off back to the castle. "Allow me to correct my introduction—welcome to the Hallows, Raid Queen Modesty. Your presence is welcomed and I think I speak for both Briar and I when I say we're glad to meet you." A simple enough beginning, but it felt fitting. This was the most civil any of the Raiders had ever been with them, save for maybe Siduri, but that girl could make friends with even an ornery badger she was so beguiling.

"Thank you for your gift, and for the invitation to visit your islands. It's been some time since the Lady and I have been there, and perhaps a vacation is in order..." Artorias trailed off with a little grin turned toward his wife, his bushy tail swaying over to brush against hers. "I have to give you credit, this is the first time any Raider or pirate has ever attempted to talk with us. I appreciate it, your efforts mean more to me than you know. I hope your children are well and Tarnish's wounds are healing quickly." It was a bit of bad business what happened between the pups and he wished a speedy recovery for the wily lad, but Artorias would not apologize for Nelu's actions when defending his home. He just hoped his son hadn't scarred hers in the process. "Here in the Hallows, all are welcome if they come in peace. Your children are included in that, even if they could learn why it's an important safety measure to let a pack know when you're at their borders." A chuckle rumbled in Art's chest, a smile on his face as he spoke the last sentence not with malice but with amusement, hoping Modesty didn't take it the wrong way. Her children had been a delightful surprise at the bonfire, and Sid again at the ball. Tarnish, however, still had some manners to learn it seemed.

Artorias lifted a paw and gently waved off Modesty's mention of owing debts of gratitude. "It costs nothing to be kind, nor is it a debt to be repaid, Modesty. Your children were curious and innocent, and they were our guests. We were happy to provide them a safe place to explore. Our own have a bit of fondness for Siduri in particular too. Though I do appreciate knowing we won't have to worry about any unexpected nightly visits from your wolves." The ravens returned then carrying a small wicker basket, bringing it down to present to Modesty. The basket itself held only a single bottle of Hallowed wine, but Art wasted no time in explaining. "We have a berry grove on the north end of our territory that has an abundance of fruits in it right now. You're welcome to help yourself to some to take home to your children and the rest of the pack. A token of our appreciation for the respite you've offered us. The wine... well, that's for you to enjoy." A playful wink from one alpha to another. Who said adults couldn't enjoy some treats of their own?

There was a moment of pause before Artorias decided to speak his mind on something he'd held in for some time. "I have to say, you and Gil have both been far better leaders than your predecessor. When I heard you had taken over the pirates, I feared the same antics we'd gotten from Sparrow. But I see a genuine care for your family and your pack, and your heart is in the right place, Modesty. And while I can hope our packs don't meet in the heat of battle, I understand you call yourselves Raiders for a reason. Just don't expect us to go easy on you if you do." Another flash of teeth in a good-humored grin and a light laugh from the Lord of Cinder. He liked Modesty. She gave off a good energy, very maternal and caring of her own. She would be a good alpha.

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Briar

The Hallows
Lady of Cinder

Master Fighter (245)

Master Intellectual (240)

An icon representing the specialty Bulwark Bulwark

An icon representing the specialty Bard Bard

gems
size
Large
build
Light
player
Shelby

How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Ooh La LaSamhain 2022LegendaryPride - DemisexualTeacher
The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3VengeanceCritical Fail!Ice Bridge Explorer1K
03-19-2024, 05:46 PM

Briar was never one to jump to conclusions or hold animosity toward an individual just because of their association with anyone else. Because of that it was easy for her to listen politely as Modesty introduced herself as the new queen of Raiders Hollow, making surprise cross her expression and with a quick glance toward her husband she saw that same surprise and intrigue on his own features. It wasn't all that often that a pack changed hands and usually it wasn't from one mate to another rather than to a younger heir. While she hadn't had much contact with Gilgamesh, she had heard plenty and it already felt refreshing to hear Modesty talk about her preference for talking things through when at all possible. Diplomacy had always been a focus and a passion of Briar's so it felt like she and Modesty had a bit of a kindred spirit in that regard. She made a note of the pack's new location and the offer for them to visit should they ever feel inclined, unable to resist the slight smirk that crossed her lips at the reasoning for their choice of home. It was a.... creative way to try and reign in their more unruly members, she had to give her that.

All of that sounded fine and good and Briar had no qualms with this reintroduction of sorts to the Raiders, but what really got her attention was when Modesty presented them with thank you gifts for showing kindness to her youngest children while she was too ill to leave her den the last couple of seasons. The recognition immediately crossed her features as she realized this was Siduri's mother and she smiled at the thought of the sweet, multi-colored girl. She unfortunately hadn't had a chance to interact with Tarnish during his time here, but Artorias had spoken about him as well. "You have raised some very sweet and... spirited children," she said with a grin and a light hearted chuckle while Artorias whistled for his ravens and the birds went off back toward the castle. Artorias corrected his welcome and Briar nodded in agreement. This was her first positive interaction with someone from the Raiders–at least from the adults of the pack–but so far this was a pleasant surprise.

Briar let Artorias take the lead in speaking, nodding with agreement occasionally as he mentioned his thanks for the gifts she had brought, her invitation to visit their home, and the general polite diplomacy that had so far been sorely missing from the Raiders and the Pirates before them. She did feel a guilt for how things went with Tarnish, but she had to agree with her husband in the fact that certain protocol were in place for a reason. She nodded again at his mention of the fact that there was no debt to be paid. She never would have expected anything in return for the time she spent with Siduri. She smiled at the fondness Artorias mentioned that several members of the pack had for Siduri in particular–herself included. Soon enough Art's ravens returned with a basket with one of the bottles of wine she had brewed in tow, her husband going on to invite Modesty to fill the basket with fruit from their grove to take home with her along with the bottle of wine for her to enjoy. "This is a particularly good batch," she said with a proud smile as she pointed to the bottle resting neatly in the basket between them. "I was experimenting with making wines from a mix of fruits and different berries and I think I really hit the nail on the head this time." Her wine making was one of her favorite pass times and it showed.

Artorias went on to share his thoughts on the improvement he saw in the leadership of the pack since the change of hands from Sparrow to Gilgamesh and now to Modesty and she couldn't help but agree. She fully expected the Raiders to still live up to their name and she saw no harm in that if that's what they enjoyed or how they wanted to claim resources, but that didn't mean they had to completely disregard common decency and diplomacy. One meeting couldn't completely undo past transgressions or prove that things were truly different now, but it was a step in the right direction and Briar was hopeful for the future. She chuckled at her husband's insistence that they would never take it easy on the Raiders if they did decide to set their sights on the Hallows again and her grin said plenty about how she felt the same. She was a Carpathian now, but her Fatalis roots still ran strong.

"Briar Carpathius"

Modesty

"The Audacity™"

Raiders Hollow
Raid Queen

Master Navigator (306)

Master Intellectual (260)

An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
NachoMumma

04-07-2024, 12:00 AM

Things were going better than Modesty could have hoped, and she smirked at Artorias's suggestion with regards to teaching her children the importance of announcing themselves, “I'm sure you understand how counterproductive that could be if your usual modus operandi is to sneak in and rob others blind, no?” It was meant as a joke, the Raiders were yet to be quiet enough for their incursions to not be met with tooth and claw, but perhaps one day they'd learn some stealth.

Modesty took the basket gratefully, eyeing the bottle inside appreciatively, along with the invitation to fill the basket with berries from the orchard, her attention turning to Briar as she filled Modesty in on her experiment. “I haven't taken to brewing myself, but I do have a son who is quite curious about the process. I believe he tried making something with fruits from an orchard at Rio Grande recently, but the resulting concoction tasted like dirt, or so he told me.” Modesty chuckled, “If a brown spotted boy with Gilgamesh's yellow eyes comes snooping around he might be looking for pointers.” No doubt Kenway would make an appearance if he figured out someone had figured out how to blend fruits into alcohol, it was worth a heads up, for as teddy-bearish as the boy could be, he wasn't the sharpest child she had birthed. “Though I will apologise in advance, he's... certainly not Siduri.” She was appreciative of the kind words offered too, “I'm sure there will be a raid at some point, but I'd prefer to keep it friendly if we can. I'll see if I can't send a bird ahead with a bit of warning next time.” She offered to the two leaders with a wink.

Feeling her purpose here had been met, she dipped her head appreciatively, “Thank you both, for coming all the way out here to meet with me, particularly given the history between our packs, it was more than I could have asked for. Hopefully, interactions can continue to be less... heated? In the future.” After all, it was getting on, and she had quite a walk to make it home.

“Speech.”

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (837)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

05-04-2024, 05:47 PM

A barking laugh escaped Artorias as Modesty cleverly quipped back with a very true statement about the Raiders' usual modes of operating being counter to usual pack etiquette. She had him there, he could not deny that! "Touché, Modesty. You make a fair point." He was glad to hear their offered fruits would be well received by the Raiders, particularly by Modesty's son who apparently had the makings of a sommelier in him. The Raid Queen's quite honest and brutally blunt responses were a refreshing change to the usual cordial conversations he was used to others having with him as an alpha, so to hear her regard her son's attempts at brewing as dirt-flavored, it delighted the Hallows alpha. He appreciated Modesty's down to earth realness. "I'll be sure to point him in my wife's direction if he wants to learn the ways of brewing," he joked back with the violet-hued woman, but there was earnestness in his humor. The Hallows was a place open to all if they came in peace—Raiders now included too. If their child wished to learn from them, he would be welcomed to study.

Artorias' brow quirked at the mention of an inevitable raid at some point in the future. So the new Raiders wanted to try their paws at surpassing the castle walls their predecessor pirates could not? Well, the Lord of Cinder welcomed the challenge. "To that, we agree. My wolves will only meet threat and force with force, and I would also like to keep it friendly. Gods know we've seen enough wanton bloodshed. And I appreciate your offer of forewarning, though if you'd like to let your wolves try out their stealthiness, I won't begrudge you coming by for a 'surprise visit'. Just don't expect us to go down easy." A raid in good fun was good and all, but knowing exactly when it was coming removed the element of surprise and would be a disservice to his own warriors if they were given time to over prepare. He shot Mod back a playful grin; if she wanted a raid, she'd get her money's worth.

As their meeting drew to a conclusion, Art returned Mod's polite head dip. He had very much enjoyed getting to meet the Raid Queen and the new leader of the Raiders. "Likewise, thank you for your visit, Modesty. It's been enlightening to get to know you." At the mention of their packs' histories, Artorias waved a paw and shook his head. "Times change, and wolves along with them. Let's let history stay in the past where it belongs and let bygones be bygones. I'd enjoy more meetings of our families in the future. I think there's much we can share with one another." Pausing for a moment to look at Briar, then back to Modesty again, Art gestured towards Hearthstone across the plains. "You're welcome to stay for the evening if you'd like. You can rest and begin your return journey home in the morning when you're refreshed." How far the Lord of Cinder had come from his younger, more temperamental years—willingly inviting a Raider into his castle for the first time ever.

One big happy family

Thread Move Log
Thread Forum From To
1. dally dilly dum The Starlit Plains 11:23 PM, 02-10-2024 04:56 PM, 05-20-2024