size
Large species
build
Heavy
player
Dragon Mod

Rapid Poster - BronzeCritical Observation!1KOverachieverSamhain 2022
08-12-2024, 11:59 PM

Things had quieted some, but she had plenty that weighed heavy on her mind. She wasn't a wolf. She didn't know quite how to run a pack of wolves, but she tried her best. She only knew what she had seen others before her do while she grew up, but even then her knowledge on the matter was very little. She had practically thrown herself into the lions den on this one. Or rather, the wolfs den. Would it get better? Was she doing an alright job? She wanted to help her family, but each day that passed, a shadow of doubt would cross her mind and it kept on growing. Her mother had decided to leave the pack. And one by one, others had begun to leave, too. Maybe she wasn't fit for the job. Maybe what was once Ethne was slowly dying. Maybe they needed something new to look forward to...

Maybe...just maybe...and it was a lot of maybes that she often thought about. She sat beside the creek, absentmindedly dragging her claws back and forth in the soft mud. The season had been pretty wet and humid, and flooding in some parts was on the rise. She had noticed the water level here and at the falls had risen a great deal, the levels higher than they usually were. Still, she knew she'd be fine if the floods got bad. Probably. She was a strong swimmer. Were wolves though?

"Speak"

Eltrys

Polaris
Chief

Expert Fighter (235)

Master Intellectual (290)

An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
LadyElin

WinnerCritical Observation!Critical Fail!How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Rapid Poster - BronzeStudent
08-16-2024, 10:06 PM

The waters had risen. Eltrys was keen on walking the creek from the falls to the sea every night and every morning. He was worriedly wondering if the caves behind the falls would flood in seasons like this.

He felt a strong presence as he was walking up from the shoreline. The waters had risen today but they were lower than last night. If only by a nail length, it was still receding somewhat. Though it could still overrun the banks any day this season he was at least keeping a careful eye on it. Thankfully the den for the only children in the pack were up on the slope of the falls.

As he climbed the mild hill the great bear Saga came into view. He didn't know bear body language very well, but did she look rather... slumped? Dejected? Hmmm... She had a heavy burden placed on her ursine shoulders for sure. And the territory was rather quieter than it was when he first joined.

Solid wide paws for a wolf, still dainty in comparison to her mits, sauntered closer. He quietly sat next to her to observe what she was doing. Ah, her claw in the mud for no reason was absently roving through it. Her mind was no doubt weighing the heavy title on her shoulders. Did she get news recently?

He discarded the usual comment of heavy heads and crowns when he opened his maw to speak, "She's still eating at least." He was referring to the bear's canine sister, "There's some light returning to her eyes I think. I plan on bringing her out on a walk soon." He dragged his own claw in the mud for a moment, making shapes that perhaps resembled portions of the territory. He had started his journey as a hunter and navigator.

"Speech!"
Code © Skelle/Witchdogtor DO NOT USE WITHOUT PERMISSION

Saga

Polaris
War Chief

Master Fighter (250)

Expert Intellectual (195)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

gems
size
Large species
build
Heavy
player
Dragon Mod

08-26-2024, 11:32 PM

Engrossed in her thoughts, she didn't hear Eltrys' approach. Only the sound of the running creek and the nature that surrounded her was barely registering in her mind as she thought about the future. She didn't think she was cut out for this the way she thought, but still, she would do her best for her family. For the wolves she swore to protect and lead until her sister decided to take up the reigns once more. It wasn't until his voice cut through her personal silence did she nearly startle. "She's still eating at least." She absentmindedly glanced at him, almost forgetting who he was talking about until she remembered.

"That's good at least. Yes, I think a walk would so her some good. Some fresh air is always good, I think." She breathed in a deep sigh as she returned her attention back to the water, brows knitting together in thought and concern. "I fear we are weaker than I imagined...or perhaps its just my mind with too much worry. Things were good for a long while before the whole issue with the Raiders, and I feel like thats stolen something from us." Did that make sense? She wasn't sure how to phrase it at the moment. Of course, she also felt like she was comparing them to the other packs. They seemed strong. Full of life and gumption. They didn't sit stagnant as far as she was aware, or perhaps those that did simply didn't show it. But what did she know? She wasn't living among them. She only knew what was here.

"Speak"

Eltrys

Polaris
Chief

Expert Fighter (235)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
LadyElin

WinnerCritical Observation!Critical Fail!How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Rapid Poster - BronzeStudent
09-07-2024, 07:40 PM

Speech // thought

She seemed startled out of her reverie. He wondered if he should start wearing bells as he walked the territory. When he wasn't hunting. Perhaps he'd startle others a little less.

She voiced concerns about the pack. He was still as she spoke. His ice-blue eyes meandered over the trickling water of the creek. There was nothing wrong with a small pack, but he had also taken note of the quiet and lingering darkness that loomed over them. Stagnancy turned lively waters into toxic ponds.

"Yes." He simply replied, his own countenance heavy and serious, "Something must be done to spark life within the ranks again. I've wondered if we should bring in a festival or two from my home." It would be a drop of water in the state of things, but perhaps it would inspire the others?

"Our character is often revealed at our highs and lows... Be humble at the mountaintops, be steadfast in the valleys. Be faithful in between." - marcandangel.

Saga

Polaris
War Chief

Master Fighter (250)

gems
size
Large species
build
Heavy
player
Dragon Mod

09-07-2024, 08:01 PM

It seemed she wasn't wrong for thinking what she had been. She wasn't the only one that noticed the silence within the pack, and it continued to weigh heavily on her mind. She wasn't cut out for this. She was young still (in bear terms) and although she was trying her best, everything had been falling apart. Whether by fault of her own or just simply a domino effect of past events, she wasn't sure. But he agreed with her.

Haydee wasn't well. Her brother Dorian had left. Her mother had left. Dagrun. And everyone else was sparse at best. Or maybe they were around and were simply quieter. Keeping to themselves. She couldn't keep seeking them all out on her own and being the only one to put in the work. They were a pack, after all. Why should she have to do it all on her own? The only constant was her and Eltrys. He had been an active pack member since he joined, something she had noticed and highly appreciated.

So when he mentioned that something must be done to try and spark life within the pack again, it was safe to say she had no idea how to do that. She wasn't a wolf. She didn't have the instincts they had. She was a completely different species and didn't know what to do. But his mention of a festival from his homeland wasn't a bad idea, and he had her attention. "I think...that is a good idea. What did you have in mind?"

"Speak"

Eltrys

Polaris
Chief

Expert Fighter (235)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
LadyElin

09-07-2024, 08:43 PM

Speech // thought

He was never the type to mince words. But it seemed his agreement to her assumptions of the pack status had only added a boulder to her back rather than validate her grievances. Hm.

At his mention of adding a festival though the great bear perked up. He brought his gaze up to the withering plants around them. Winter was already threatening to overwhelm them. He could tell how the cool stream bit into the mud and the reeds had long since dried and fell into the water.

"It would take some time to prepare. We have already missed the time for a Holy Hunt so perhaps we could celebrate the Festivals of Colors come spring." His eyes grew glassy as he remembered watching the festival goers mingle and play among the dyes in his youth, "On the day of the first full moon of spring, we would celebrate the breaking of winter and inspire the goddess to paint the flowers as they bloom with a striking array of beautiful powdered dyes thrown at each other. There is feasting and dancing and even a market open in the morning hours. Then as the sun reaches its zenith at midday preparations are made to begin the color fight. Whoever is covered the most with a singular color by sundown is fitted for a scarf or sash of that color." He remembered watching a beautiful white wolf win the last festival covered in a fantastic array of golds, and greens and swathed in bright magenta from nose tip to tail tip.

He turned back to Saga with a warm smile, "The colors wash out, eventually. Sometimes they linger in light fur for a few days." His tail had started to thump lightly on the ground as he was caught up in the memories for a moment.

"We would have to find some sources for the seven dyes, and I hardly think our stores would help us throw much of a feast come springtime. But it could be just the thing to breathe life into us."

"Our character is often revealed at our highs and lows... Be humble at the mountaintops, be steadfast in the valleys. Be faithful in between." - marcandangel.

Saga

Polaris
War Chief

Master Fighter (250)

gems
size
Large species
build
Heavy
player
Dragon Mod

09-07-2024, 09:11 PM

She listened to his explanation of one of the festivals from his culture. Her eyes brightened and she perked up as she listened. And honestly, it sounded wonderful! She couldn't help the grin that spread her on her muzzle, and she found herself looking forward to such an event! "Honestly? That sounds amazing! And it sounds like just the thing we need to brighten things up around here," Yes, pun intended. The Festival of Colors sounded like something that would hopefully perk things up. She had never been to or seen such an event, and the idea of her own pale fur being colored with such an array of colors sounded fascinating, and she had no doubt she'd look quite the sight painted in various colors.

"Maybe I can help find and harvest the colors that you need for the festival! Or maybe even trade for them. I think it's definitely something we need and should do," No doubt The Hallows or some of the other packs would have what they needed. She nodded to herself as she returned her gaze to the water. He had such a fascinating idea. She was a little envious she hadn't thought of something like that, but of course, how could she when she had never experienced it? She glanced at him as she thought about the things that weighed on her. He was older than her, though not by a big amount. But for a wolf, he was considered an adult. Her, on the other hand, she was still considered a cub. An adolescent at best. She wasn't fully matured yet in the eyes of her own kind...

Maybe that was another reason she was struggling. She had been trying to force herself to grow up in an effort to help her adoptive family, but it wasn't as easy as she thought. Taking a deep breath, her brows furrowed as she considered her words. "Eltrys...I..." It was going to be hard to say, she knew. After all, she didn't want to feel like she was failing her family, but she would be failing if she kept pretending like she could do this, no? Maybe someday she'd be ready, but she knew she wasn't now. "I need to speak about something that's been weighing heavy on my mind." She looked at him, a mixture of emotions that she couldn't quite place. "As someone I can say for sure that I trust, I...I don't think I'm cut out for leading a pack. Not yet at least. I wanted so badly to help my family, and I am doing my best, I think...but I'm not a wolf. To my own kind, I'm still considered a cub. Or...something to that degree. I'm not an adult yet, and there's so much responsibility to leading a wolf pack that I didn't anticipate or expect. I want to still do what I can to protect my family and those that I care about, but...I don't think I can do it the way I need to this way. The issue with the Raider pack seems to have quieted for now, but I'm sure they have yet to let it go, I dunno. I'm not exactly sure how to effectively handle political things like that..."

"Speak"

Eltrys

Polaris
Chief

Expert Fighter (235)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
LadyElin

09-07-2024, 09:54 PM

Speech // thought

His warm smile deepened as he let out a relaxed sigh. She was indeed encouraged by the idea of the festival! She even had an idea of how to procure some of the colors and offered to harvest what they needed! Her eagerness was infectious. The idea of seeing her all ablaze with the bright colors would be a sight indeed.

"Excellent! I'll have to search my memory to remember what the dyes were made of, shouldn't be too hard. I had to foresee the making of them." He stopped himself from continuing, part of his duty was also to bless the vat of dyes in the name of the goddess the festival was for.

He could easily recall the recipes and the qualities of each dye but he was stumped at how they could possibly procure some of the dyes. His mind had wandered when her tone shifted to something more somber and brought his attention back forward. He tilted his head to her as she turned to him and admitted her misgivings.

He sat there, listening intently to every word, his glacial eyes softened with understanding and sympathy. Yes, heavy was the head that wore the crown. And her head was rather young for such responsibility for her species. A young bear leading a wolf pack was rather unheard of. The mantle of leadership had passed from an inexperienced young wolf to an inexperienced young bear. And they had carried the burdens of their family with great care until they could not.

He let her words hang in the air as he thought, a low rumble in his chest of understanding. His prelude to comfort her before he could find the words.

He had a strong feeling about where she was leading this conversation.

He had been born a second son to the High King, the mark of his ancestral line setting him up to be the high priest of the ruling family's religious sect. Their messiah guardian warrior... reborn. Was this his path all along? Or just a set of circumstances that brought him here?

"A dragon sleeping is still a dragon." He remarked softly, implying the Raiders were a dragon. To underestimate them would be a mistake. And the festival of colors could easily bring trouble right to their own doorstep in that regard.

A good reminder.

“Saga, it is not a failure to know your limits, and change directions before you reach beyond them. In fact, it is commendable and a mark of great maturity." He responded sagely, leaning toward her.

"Tell me clearly, what is your wish? There is no shame in it."

Saga

Polaris
War Chief

Master Fighter (250)

gems
size
Large species
build
Heavy
player
Dragon Mod

09-07-2024, 10:17 PM

She nodded when he said he'd have to remember what he'd need for the dyes, "When you do, let me know! I'm happy to help!"She was sure there was someone or some way to get what they'd need. She was determined to help and ensure that this Festival of Colors would happen. It could very well be the thing they needed to boost morale and whatnot within the dying pack. Speaking of which, after she had said what she had been feeling, she sighed and looked at the ground, though she heard his rumble. Her ear flicked in gratitude of his understanding, and part of her wished it could be different, but alas, she knew now that she wasn't ready. Perhaps it had all been an impulsive decision from the start, but all she had cared about at the time was taking the burden off of her sister, especially when everything looked like it was crashing down on her small sisters shoulders.

"A dragon sleeping is still a dragon." She steadily looked at him as she nodded, turning the words over in her head. He was right. The Raiders had proven already when Gilgamesh had so blatantly marched into their lands and for some reason expected no repercussions, that they weren't the type to let sleeping dogs lie. She was surprised, actually, that they hadn't all come marching back into their lands to start a bigger issue than there already was, but at the same time, she was glad they hadn't. She didn't want to have to resort to more violence, but she would if she had to in an effort to protect her family. Hell, even Corbie had not been successful in trying to remedy the situation. But not everything could be fixed with words. Or not even with violence. Maybe with time...or maybe it would never be fixed. Maybe it didn't matter anymore. She had opted to not think about it or even bother with it, but there was always that lingering thought that they would return. They wanted Haydee. Something that Saga obviously wasn't going to give them.

“Saga, it is not a failure to know your limits, and change directions before you reach beyond them. In fact, it is commendable and a mark of great maturity." Those words surprised her. For weeks, she struggled with the thought that she would be failing her family and the pack if she stepped down or simply just...disappeared and abandoned them. The latter, however, would never be an option for her. She would've been greatly ashamed of herself, especially after all her family had done for her after finding her in the Northern Wilds. To leave them like that and in a potential state of disarray...suffice to say, she couldn't even imagine doing that.

Then he leaned in, asking her to tell him clearly what she wanted. She pursed her lips as the words were on the tip of her tongue. No shame in it...? Was that really true? She took a deep breath to try and steady herself. She sure hoped there wouldn't be any shame in this..."I...I want to ask you if...if you'd be willing to lead the wolves here." She swallowed as she looked at him, "They trust you. I trust you. You have good judgment, and I'm sure the pack would be better off for it. I've tried, but I'm just...not cut out for it. Not yet. Maybe when I'm older and wiser, but I think the pack would be better off in your paws." There. She said it. And her heart hammered in her chest like the loudest drum she had ever heard. "You don't have to if you don't want to, of course..." She waited then, with bated breath to hear what he thought.

"Speak"

Eltrys

Polaris
Chief

Expert Fighter (235)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
LadyElin

09-07-2024, 10:44 PM

Speech // thought

He blinked slowly, his eyes watching the way the biting water weaved and splashed against its shallows and stones. She struggled to say it out loud. Eltrys lifted his gaze to the sky and watched as a cloud drifted over the sparse tangle of trees.

She tried to give him an out, anxiety nipping at her large ursine heels as easily as they nipped the paws of many wolves.
He turned full body to her and slightly bowed his head.
He drew in a breath, quick and sharp and deep. The last breath of his respite freedom slowly departed his lungs.
His next breath would be laden with a mantle of duty he was trained and born for. He looked up to her young golden worried eyes, his own determined.

"I will humbly take the burden of leading the pack from you Saga. You have carried the torch commendably and with honor. I hope to carry this mantle with as much honor and care. Thank you for your trust in me." He replied with heaviness and much decorum.

Saga

Polaris
War Chief

Master Fighter (250)

gems
size
Large species
build
Heavy
player
Dragon Mod

09-07-2024, 11:02 PM

She couldn't help the big sigh of relief as the weight began to slowly lift from her shoulders. He had agreed to take over the pack, and honestly she couldn't have asked anyone more capable than him to take over, and hopefully turn things around. She dipped her head in gratitude to him as her worry slowly started to ease up a little. "Thank you, Eltrys. You have no idea how much this means!" Of course, she would still have some worry if this was the right decision, but she had a feeling that he would do far better than she felt she was doing. "If you don't mind, I'd still like to help as best as I can. Obviously not as an alpha, but maybe as your beta, if you'll have me. I still want to try and do my best and what's right for the pack....just leadership of a whole pack isn't quite for me, and I have no doubts that you'll do work that'll be just what the pack needs." Was she asking too much? She wasn't sure. It was worth a shot though. She still wanted to protect her home and the wolves within it, even if it meant no longer being at the forefront of it all. They needed a stronger leader. One with more wisdom and knowledge than what she could currently provide. "If we're in agreement, then I imagine a meeting soon to let the others know. I don't know if they'll think there's been too much change, but...sometimes things happen for a reason, and I don't want to mislead them into thinking I thought I could do this. I tried, but..." She shrugged. She really did try. But she just wasn't ready for it.

"Speak"

Eltrys

Polaris
Chief

Expert Fighter (235)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
LadyElin

09-07-2024, 11:37 PM

Speech // thought

The mantle seemed to physically lift from the girl's shoulders. He gently smiled at her reassurance and requests. Her confidence will come with age, this would be a mere setback on her road to believing in herself.

"You will remain in my inner circle. Who best to advise me on her family and the inner workings of your previous efforts than yourself? You did try, and leadership can be a mountain nigh impossible to carry. I have no doubt you did your best. I'm grateful you are allowing me the opportunity to carry this before you overstretched yourself."

He paused for a moment to mull over what his next steps would be. What *their* next steps should be.

"I will meet with Haydee first. I have not seen Bae for some time and I fear he was taken by slavers as well as Lucette and Alex. I will take a few days to gather my thoughts and prepare for the meeting. Then I will call it. Until then, it won't be a secret. If any come to you from this point on looking for leadership you may simply refer them to me as the Chief now and I will handle those affairs. You may clean your paws from it and take a few days of rest." He had been speaking to the creek but then he smoothly turned to her and looked at her earnestly, "I mean it Saga. You have earned a rest. You did try your best and now it is my turn." He gently bumped his nose to her elbow with a supportive smile. His tone never wavering from its natural firmness.

Saga

Polaris
War Chief

Master Fighter (250)

gems
size
Large species
build
Heavy
player
Dragon Mod

09-07-2024, 11:54 PM

"Thank you, Eltrys. Really! I couldn't have asked for a better wolf to lead us," She really meant that, of course. His next concerns were valid, and if she knew her sister, she was sure that Haydee wouldn't be opposed to this change. She knew her sister would understand, after all, they both cared deeply for their family and Haydee wouldn't want her feeling burdened same as Saga didn't want Haydee feeling that way. And at the mention of Bae and the others, she nearly jumped from her position. "Oh! That's right! Gav told me that Lucette and Beauregard went missing and that Bae went to find them? Against better judgment, Bae wanted to go alone so..." Bae, as she came to understand, was far too stubborn for his own good and she wasn't happy about his solo ventures trying to be the hero. But she couldn't exactly go and chase him down when she had the pack to look after. "If they're not back by a certain amount of time, then I think we're in our right to go in search of them."

As for the rest? A few days of rest didn't sound so bad. She could try to unwind her mind from everything she had to think about, and she didn't blame him for wanting to take a few days to gather himself for this new journey. After all, it was a lot of responsibility. That she knew without a doubt. "I think I will take a few days to myself...and nobody would blame you for taking a few days yourself too while you sort things out, and I promise to send them your way." She breathed another light sigh of relief. She had confidence in him more than she had in herself for the role, but hey, it was a lesson learned.

"Speak"

Eltrys

Polaris
Chief

Expert Fighter (235)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
LadyElin

09-08-2024, 04:22 PM

Speech // thought

Eltrys dipped his head in thanks to Saga and leaned back as she nearly jumped out of her skin at his mention of Bae and the others. His brow knitted together in concern. He wished he had been provided the opportunity to help Bae-Syl and his family. None had tried to call on him for assistance.

"I hope they return soon." He murmured. Haydee is still sick with despair, but hopefully, if Bae-Syl is triumphant and returns with his mate in tow, it may help pull Haydee back from the edge of her darkness and the darkness that had settled over the pack.

He now had much to do and prepare for.
"See that you do, Saga. Thank you. If there are no other immediate matters that need my attention, we can part here and I will go tell Haydee. After you have had a sufficient amount of rest you are free to hunt and gather recourses for the pack and the festival." He would then proceed back toward the falls, to share the news. A new purpose in his stride that had not been there that morning.

-Exit unless stopped-