gems
size
Medium
build
Heavy
player
Jackal
10-26-2023, 06:05 PM

Lefty took a breath and glanced up at the dawn sky. Their eyes glittered in delight, because here was the chance for a good day of gathering materials for their axe and shield. The blue-toned wolf had woken early, ensured Spider was safe, and then gone about their business. Sirius wanted to see their initiative, after all, and what better chance to prove that than with the wolf gathering up their materials to make their own weapon?

Perhaps they would make a sword with a keen, sharp edge.

Ears flicking, Lefty watched Storm-Eye swoop overhead. He was a small bird, but fierce, and Lefty greatly appreciated his company. "See anything, Storm-Eye?" They asked, tail wagging slightly. Storm-Eye chittered and swept overhead. The Col was a wide expanse, but Lefty knew that Storm-Eye could find what they needed if he looked hard enough. Plus, with the early dawn, Lefty supposed they wouldn't be bothered at all, and that, too, was heartening.

"Speech"

Lefty has two companions: March the piebald wolverine (female) and Storm-Eye the Black-Thighed Falconet (male). Unless otherwise stated, they are assumed to be with Lefty at all times.

Kyanite

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (135)

An icon representing the specialty Weaponsmaster Weaponsmaster

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light

Samhain 2022
10-26-2023, 06:30 PM

It was almost time for Kite to head to bed, dawn had just started to peek over the horizon, and she knew from experience that she would only have another half hour or so before the day got too bright for her eyes to manage. Until then, she would make use of her last little bit of eye-freedom.

Stretching out her long limbs, she trotted through the Col, until a bird ahead caught her attention. She watched it swoop, which brought her eyes down, and to a blue-toned wolf she hadn’t seen before. That didn’t mean she didn’t know them - there were some wolves in the Armada that she knew by sound, instead of look. She wasn’t sure she could be bothered striking up a conversation with them, it would be a waste of what little night time she had left. Still, she found herself angling towards them. Her little cat, Lioness trotting lightly at her paws.

"Speech"

Lefty

Armada
Slave

Novice Intellectual (22)

Intermediate Fighter (50)

gems
size
Medium
build
Heavy
player
Jackal
10-26-2023, 07:02 PM

Lefty found the first of her desired items fairly quickly afterwards-- March stumbled upon it, and turned with the long branch in her jaws. Lefty trotted towards it, grasping the branch and working it between her own paws, settling down to grasp a nearby stone in her teeth. She knew this wasn't good for the weapon she wanted, but Sirius and company would likely appreciate the spear that she now planned to make. Lefty focused, using the small, sharp stone to drive a hole into the branch, chopping away at it.

With a low hum, Lefty lifted a sharp, jagged stone. She worked it into the tip of the branch, wedging it in-- not enough where the spear-head wouldn't fall on its own, but enough that she could now focus on binding it in place.

When Lefty had first joined the pack, she'd taken some materials. The woman now twisted, working her satchel off of her shoulders and beginning to paw through it, looking for something to bind together the spear, which she held carefully. When it was done, she would put it with the rest of the weapons.

She spied Kyanite approaching out of the corner of her eye, but having no ill will towards the woman, Lefty didn't posture at her-- blue and white ears simply flicked, and she continued to do her work.

"Speech"

Lefty has two companions: March the piebald wolverine (female) and Storm-Eye the Black-Thighed Falconet (male). Unless otherwise stated, they are assumed to be with Lefty at all times.

Kyanite

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (135)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light

Samhain 2022
10-26-2023, 07:40 PM
As she approached, one of the blue women's companions brought them a stick. She half expected her to throw it for the wolverine. Instead, she used a knife to cut away any branches or imperfections. The light rose a little further above the horizon, casting a hint of golden light into the Col. Kite screwed up her nose pushing her blindfold a little higher up her forehead - mostly to reassure herself if was still there. 

Turning a little away from the light, the girl with crystals in her eyes trotted closer. Lioness leaned lightly onto a small rock beside the stranger, and curled up. Resting her little head on her paws. Kite's attention however was on the stick the stranger was working on. "Is that for you or the stores?" She asked, wondering if this wolf had been roped into building up the store's weapon collection, which was still lacking after the flood. She didn't bother with introductions or niceties. She would know if she had met this wolf after she spoke, or if the wind turned and brought her scent to her.

Lefty

Armada
Slave

Novice Intellectual (22)

gems
size
Medium
build
Heavy
player
Jackal
10-30-2023, 02:33 AM
The dark-toned wolf eyeballs the spear she's working on. Once the top of that broad stick has been carved properly, and the stone spearhead wedged in place, it was time to bind the weapon.

And bind they did. Lefty began to use some of the scraps they had, some of the leather. She wound it around the spearhead, where stone gathered into wood, and tightened it with gradual movements of the jaw.

Each wrench of leather brought the stone spearhead closer to where it needed to be.

Kite asked a question and Lefty answered breezily. "The stores. I've no idea how many of the pack know how to handle a spear, but they're always good to have about, you know." Her voice is soft and pleased as she tests the spear by jostling it. The stone doesn't move. "I'm more of a sword handler, myself."

Kyanite

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (135)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light

Samhain 2022
10-31-2023, 11:06 PM

Kite scowled as the strangers attention remained mostly on their work, instead of the Armadan Princess. The wolf spoke, identifying them as a stranger to Kite. Her scent was also unfamiliar to her. She hadn’t even caught it in passing before today. That marked her as someone very new to the Armada. No wonder she had so little respect. Tossing her head back, Kite glanced up at the brightening sky, and her scowl deepend. She needed to put her mask on soon or she would regret it.

“Well, yes. My Father usually has a selection of spears, there good for defence and hunting. He’s still recovering supplies from the Flood” She said, mostly to show how much more she knew than this wolf. “I’m Princess Kyanite Fatalis. Your new here, aren’t you?”

"Speech"

Lefty

Armada
Slave

Novice Intellectual (22)

gems
size
Medium
build
Heavy
player
Jackal
11-01-2023, 12:37 AM

When Lefty hears who she is, the wolf's eyes get wide. They quicken their work; they bind the spear into place faster, giving the straps a tug and holding the weight carefully in their claws. They're using the remaining moments to determine what to do: they have to apologize, and they know that much.

Once the spear is finished, Lefty sets it aside and stands up, their movement suddenly more aware, more... regal. No, not regal. Regal isn't right. It's more respectful, and Lefty approaches Kyanite, their head down, their posture crunching down into a low bow.

"My apologies, Princess Kyanite." Their tone is not ass-kissing; their respect for the title is not ingenuine. It is real, pulled from the core of them, a deeply ingrained respect for the chain of command. "I was unaware, forgive me." When they stand properly, they look at her, their ears pinned back and their tail low. Not overt belly-cringing submission, but an aware holding of the body that gets their station across. "I am Lefty Brennenburg. Your-- grandfather, I'm going to hazard a guess-- absorbed me as a slave of Armada, to serve until I prove myself."

"Speech"

Kyanite

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (135)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light

Samhain 2022
11-01-2023, 01:17 AM

Kite’s expression tightened into something close to smugness as the other wolf approached, and offered a bow. Someone had taught them to respect royalty. It didn’t matter to her if she was riding her fathers coattails with any respect she garnered from other wolves. At least, she tried to tell herself it didn’t matter. She carried the Fatalis blood, and she was raised from birth to understand that meant something (Namely in the fact that she was lacking). “Apologies accepted” She said, casting a worried glance at the sky. Her crystal-filmed eyes were already catching the rays of morning light as it crested over the mountain. Not good.

She looked at Lefty as they straightened, and then sighed as she reached up a paw to pull her blindfold down, covering her eyes. Plunging her back into darkness again. “My Father Kite corrected Lefty, but perked up a little as the wolf identified herself as a slave. Interesting… “What jobs are you assigned to?” she demanded.

"Speech"

Lefty

Armada
Slave

Novice Intellectual (22)

gems
size
Medium
build
Heavy
player
Jackal
11-01-2023, 01:38 AM

Kyanite looked smug, and Lefty found that rather amusing. She supposed nobody had told Kite (or maybe they had and she just hadn't learned) that it was better to hide that sort of thing. Wouldn't do to be seen as overly smug. Then you were an obstacle. Lefty knew that much from their place in the birth-order and their work with diplomacy. The smug types wound up dealing with bullshit they never wanted.

The worried glance --

Lefty spoke again. "Do you need to be elsewhere? I can put this spear in the stores later; for now, I can aid you as needed!" It was not a boast, nor was it a promise. This was a simple statement. "Ah! Your father!" Good on him, she thought, and there was a moment of amusement. Then Lefty continued. "I am to do what is asked of me-- and I am to be useful when not following orders."

After a moment, they added: "Prince Basilisk has me watching his child, Spider." It sounds like a question more than a statement, a quiet door-opening for Kite to request help, should she need it.

"Speech"

Kyanite

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (135)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light

Samhain 2022
11-01-2023, 01:45 AM

“I tend to avoid the sun” She said, her voice a little sour in response to the other. She was surprised at how quickly the wolf offered Kite her aid, even if there was little she could do to hold back the tide of sunlight. When Lefty explained her chores, it seemed pretty generic at first - until she went on to explain how Basilisk was making use of her. Ugh. Basilisk. Her nephew was a dick. In pure spite, she wrinkled her nose and said. “Spider isn’t even his kid, just some stray Hazel found out in the woods.” And took home, and adopted, just so she could have another burr in her paw. Unlike Lefty, Spider was not respectful to royalty.

With her eyes fully covered now, she would miss out on any cues to be found on Lefty’s expression - but that didn’t really matter. She was only a slave after all. “I do have a task for you, actually.” She said, happy to realise she had found a wolf to hoist most of her chores onto. Excellent. ”Come. She told Lefty, turning fully away from Left at that, expecting the other to follow.

"Speech"

Lefty

Armada
Slave

Novice Intellectual (22)

gems
size
Medium
build
Heavy
player
Jackal
11-01-2023, 01:53 AM

Ah, she tended to avoid the sun. Lefty said nothing about it.

Truthfully, Lefty wouldn't have said a damn word even if they weren't a slave. What other wolves dealt with wasn't her issue. They were used to quietly looking past whatever other wolves dealt with, anyways. Back home, it hadn't mattered. Everyone was of use.

But this place seemed different. Lefty peered at Kyanite; the young woman seemed to be... defensive, perhaps. Bristly. She spoke of Basilisk, and the origin of Spider, and that made Lefty's brow points raise, but they again said nothing. That was mean-spirited gossip, and Lefty had no desire to indulge in it. Let the nobles engage in their petty rumors. Lefty had work to do. That had been their attitude before, and it had not changed now by any means.

She had a task?

Lefty followed dutifully. She thought back to what Basilisk said: she would have to figure out which wolves were alright to disappoint. Kyanite, Lefty supposed, would be her first test of that.

"Speech"

Kyanite

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (135)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light

Samhain 2022
11-01-2023, 02:05 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2023, 02:07 AM by Kyanite. Edited 2 times in total.)

Lefty held her silence through all that, and as she began to walk, she cast her blind eyes back in the other wolf's general direction. “Cat got your tongue?” she asked, disappointed in the utter lack of response her tidbits had garnered. Didn’t this wolf appreciate some inside information on the wolves in this pack?

Lioness fell into place at her paws, guiding the now blind Kite as she made her way through the Col. She went first to the woods, where she had abandoned her last task of the night in favour of heading to bed. Or at least, that had been the plan. “During the flood, the waters in the Col fed into the stream here. There are supplies - some salvageable and some just rotting in the water - in the stream here. Dredge up what you can, salvage what’s salvageable and dispose of the rest. This will be your priority - other than Bas’s brat, I suppose - for the next week.” There, that would be a good test on this wolf's obedience, right? “But you can start this later in the day, first… there's a salve in the storeroom - do you know where that is? - it’s on the bottom right shelf, at the very end, in a little tin. Fetch it for me, and meet me back at my den. I assume your nose works, Lefty, was it?” what kind of name was lefty, anyway? It was the same-same as calling some a righty, wasn’t it?

"Speech"

Lefty

Armada
Slave

Novice Intellectual (22)

gems
size
Medium
build
Heavy
player
Jackal
11-14-2023, 07:31 PM
Lefty's eyes drifted to Kyanite and their ears flicked. "Mm? No, that would be a wolverine that's got my tongue." Their tone is relaxed, their stance equally so, and they truly pay no mind to Kyanite's tone.

As they're led to the stream, Lefty surveys the water and nods. "Fair enough. I'll salvage what I can." They may not be able to do much in truth but it's more than enough to try...

At the actual order their ear flicks, and they had noticed the way Kyanite spoke of Spider. This was tucked away but it was not their place to speak on it. "I'll meet you there."

And then Lefty moves to complete the task they were given -- they find the little tin and bring it. It doesn't take long at all, and ... may take less time than expected, in truth.

"Princess Kyanite, I've the salve."

Kyanite

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (135)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light

Samhain 2022
11-15-2023, 01:28 AM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2023, 01:29 AM by Kyanite. Edited 1 time in total.)

Kite kept her nose in Leftys general direction. She couldn’t look at the wolf, so she took what info she could from scent. It was less than she would have liked. Once she was sure she would be obeyed, she waited for Lioness to return to her paws. With her guide at her side, she turned and left Lefty without another word. Curious to see how well the other wolf could navigate, and how quickly she jumped to obeying.

She had settled into her den, it was deep enough in the cave that she was able to take her blindfold off once more, and see Lefty coming. “Good.” She said in way of thanks, and pulled the tin closer. She looked at it with a wrinkle of her nose for a moment. Putting salve over the cracked wound in her eye was no fun, and just the thought of it left her more sour than usual. Perhaps that was why her next ‘mission’ for Lefty popped into her head. Or perhaps she just wanted to make other wolves as miserable as she was. “I have a very important job for you, Lefty” She said carefully. “There's a dagger that I want. It can be found in Basilisk’s den, in the room at the back.” Left would be familiar with that room, through Kite didn’t know that Lefty was denning with Bas’s brat. “It's a small dagger with Fatalis engraved in it. That’s my family’s name, mind you. Fetch it for me. Oh, and keep this to yourself. Don’t be spotted.”

"Speech"

Thread Move Log
Thread Forum From To
1. the rusted steel Dreamer's Col 06:05 PM, 10-26-2023 03:08 PM, 03-31-2024