gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Xarae
10-08-2024, 06:34 PM

It wasn't until Jay broke down too that Finch's cries finally stifled. Jay, who was always so sunny. Jay, who always found something positive in every situation. Finch gulped down her sobs, although her body still shook quietly with them. Everything had seemed so simple for so long, and now she didn't know which way was up or which way was down. Had two years really passed in this blissful cocoon? Finch hardly felt like an adult, certainly not one capable of making sense of a loss like this.

She made small, soothing noises between her own hiccupping sobs as Jay forced her way beneath her chin. Finch awkwardly stood and tried to accommodate her larger sister, nuzzling into her shoulder and letting Jay feel vulnerable. They both needed it, that much was obvious. "I feel like..." she said quietly into her sister's fur, "I feel like I don't know anything at all." It wasn't true. She knew plenty of things. Finch knew every herb to treat a stomachache. She knew when you had to a pull a tooth and when it was safe to fix with a hot compress. It still felt like she didn't know anything that really mattered. "Maybe I need to leave," Finch said, her voice small and sad. "Go somewhere... learn something... do something, I don't know," she babbled without really meaning it. Leave Avalon? It was inconceivable, especially with the weight of Jay's tears. "I don't know," she repeated again, blinking the last of her tears away. "I don't know anything."

She wasn't making sense, even to herself, but it felt good to say these wild things out loud. Who else could she talk to, if not Jay?