Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
NachoMumma

Wordy1KRaiderDream WeaverTeacherStudent
Double MasterSamhain 2022Statue 5 WorshipThe Ooze Participant
01-31-2024, 09:23 PM

Modesty had sent her bird ahead to give Sirius a warning that she meant to visit the market. With things between their packs as they were, she had more sense than to just arrive unannounced, especially with her new position and the fact she wasn't alone. Flurry had asked to join her and she had no reason to say no, and Jael was here to assess any livestock they might decide to purchase. They reached the edge of the market and she paused, waiting for someone to arrive and let them know if they would be permitted to enter, or if they would be turned away.

“Speech.”

Jael

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

Master Intellectual (245)

An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

gems
size
Extra small
build
Balanced
player
wicked

Pride - DemisexualPride - BisexualCritical Attack!Double MasterHomebodyCritical Block!
StudentRapid Poster - Silver1K
02-01-2024, 01:20 AM
Though she's afraid of Modesty, Jael also... trusts her. She trusts her implicitly, and remains devoted. Something about being a dog. Following close behind the woman, but never quite stepping equal. Wouldn't dare. Knows better. Right, always a half step behind, and never making eye contact more than she needed to. Still, Jael remains devoted. She can't help it. Call it that dog in her.

As they arrive at the border, Jael looks to Modesty curiously. "How long is polite to wait?" Curious, she can't help herself. Already, Jael's gaze was intent, intense on the market before them. There's so much of it. It's hard not to be excited.

J A E L

table coding created by bunni ♥
As her keepers, Gilgamesh and Modesty may join any of Jael’s threads if they deem necessary.

Modesty

"The Audacity™"

Raiders Hollow
Raid Queen

Master Navigator (306)

Master Intellectual (260)

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
NachoMumma

02-02-2024, 06:54 PM

They didn't have to wait terribly long for a patrol to come by and let them in, and Modesty was on her best behaviour, giving them a smile and a dip of her head in thanks before they entered the great cavern that housed the market. Natural light filtered in from cracks and crevices in the ceiling overhead and lit up the mottled stone, highlighting streaks of grey and red. The soft soil under their feet still held a grittiness to it, the result of centuries of erosion no doubt. It was a bustling place and the noise echoed around the chamber making it seem so much larger than it was. There were stands for alcohol and armour, trinkets and herbs, but the one that caught her attention was closest to the entrance, with small pens set up and seemingly run by stocky, blockheaded dogs in varying shades of red, blue and black. No point beating about the bush, they'd only come here for one reason, really.

She approached the stall, the earthy and musty scent of livestock permeating the air. She understood why any food vendors were at the far end of the market. Modesty paced along the pens, taking it all in. Black faced sheep with their wool falling off in chunks, ornery goats, bleating distinctively, others with stranger pelts, curled and shining. She couldn't fathom what they might be for. Finally, they came to the cattle. Some far too large and imposing for their tiny isle, (she was sure she had seen cape buffalo on the archipelago before, no reason to bring more home).

No, the ones that caught her attention were a short and shaggy breed. Most seemed to be almost as red as the cattle dog manning the stall in colour, but there were lighter ones, and darker ones too. They were starting to bud horns which would help them to protect themselves from the numerous predators that called the islands home. “Thoughts?” she asked Jael, also noticing other varieties a bit further along, white with black or brown splotches, and others the colour of caramel that seemed to be marked 'dairy', whatever that meant, while these ones were marked 'mixed'.

“Speech.”

Jael

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Balanced
player
wicked

Pride - DemisexualPride - BisexualCritical Attack!Double MasterHomebodyCritical Block!
02-02-2024, 08:57 PM
They're allowed to enter, and it seems that there's not too much fuss. Not too many ruffled feathers. Jael is hyperaware, and she catches a few leering glances. A pale girl with red down her back looks at them for a long moment before disappearing into the thick of things. Unsure she likes the way the stranger looks at her, Jael tucks closer to Modesty. There are children here too, in her periphery, that move near the same as that bastard who threatened to eat her. Unnerving, but she wouldn't let it distract from their mission.

Finding the livestock isn't hard. Though Jael is markedly dissimilar from the dogs manning their cows, they match her darting gait and sharp gaze. Scanning the stock, Jael's brow furrows as she thinks through her best course of action. Calves were easier to transport, even if getting them the final bit of the way would be harder. Driving older heifers... she didn't like it. Too much could go wrong over that much distance. Gaze raking over each of the pens in turn, Jael joins Modesty at the most reasonably sized mixed purpose calves.

Gaze intent as she looks at the creatures, though they seem to bend easily to Jael's eye alone. Good. Nearing them, circling the outside of their pen, she looks at their feet and their gait as they move. Ignoring any decorum entirely, she needs to make her assessment. Only after a few long moments is she satisfied, facing away from the cattle dogs as she speaks confidentially to Modesty. "They look reasonable, but we should look for an excuse to sit nearby for a bit. Jael's glance is furtive. "We should listen for coughing, I saw a drippy nose two pens down." Her tone is quiet. Careful. They wouldn't be bringing any sort of livestock disease onto the island.

"I um, I brought smaller stuff, we can trade for snacks." She ventured hopefully, licking her lips. Jael is still nervous around the woman, and she's trying to bridge the gap. Fuck, she's trying. The girl tugged at the borrowed pouch around her shoulder, stuffed with beads, as well as some of the surplus sewing needles from the snake carcass. A shy smile on her lips as she looks up at Modesty, the hustle of the market still enough to overwhelm her.

J A E L

table coding created by bunni ♥
As her keepers, Gilgamesh and Modesty may join any of Jael’s threads if they deem necessary.

Modesty

"The Audacity™"

Raiders Hollow
Raid Queen

Master Navigator (306)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
NachoMumma

02-02-2024, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2024, 10:30 PM by Modesty. Edited 1 time in total.)

Modesty knew nothing of livestock, she knew how to hunt prey and eat it, how to fend off a predator, and surely these animals probably knew some degree of the same. They didn't seem to have the same visceral reaction to Jael that they did to her, so Modesty stood back and let the smaller woman make her assessment.

There were all manner of wolves milling about in the cavern, and to the back it seemed to narrow into what would mark the territory proper, she assumed based on the posted guard. She had lost sight of her daughter in the hustle and bustle and sighed, surely the girl was up to no good, but at least it looked like someone was keeping an eye on her. She smiled pleasantly and sat on a clear patch of stone, near to the livestock, but far enough removed that the traders might not think her interested, just finding a crack of light to sunbathe in after a lengthy journey. She turned her eyes upward and considered that the motes would probably give her a yellow tinge and her expression soured ever so slightly.

She was pulled from her brooding by the return of Jael, grateful for her large, feline ears that angled to catch the sound slightly better than the ones she was born with could. A contemplative “Hmm.” was offered in return for the comment about a drippy nose, but she didn't turn her head to look, she trusted the woman to know her stuff in this regard. “Well, we've certainly earned it, it was a longer journey than I remembered, but please, let me pay.” She tipped her nose to the back of the market where the food vendors were set up. “Anything in particular catch your fancy? We can come back here to eat if nobody moves in while we're gone, it's a nice little patch of sun.” And conveniently close enough to keep an ear out for any coughing among the livestock.

“Speech.”

coded by NachoMumma

Wylan

Armada
Heir Apparent

Master Fighter (300)

Master Intellectual (250)

An icon representing the specialty Marauder Marauder

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
02-08-2024, 07:28 PM
Wylan had started an interest in making honeyed sweets. His mother was exceptionally good at making snacks, and he decided to try and develop some skills in the area. Once he had a couple batches, he wheedled and begged his father to let him sell them at the marketplace. He wanted to see what interesting things he could earn, and he wanted to meet new people.

He had a lot of conditions for being allowed in the market. He wasn’t allowed in there for more than two hours, so he couldn’t overly harass anyone. He wasn’t allowed to ambush customers, and he had to acknowledge that he was under watch, and if he wasn’t on his best behaviour he would be booted.

He was absolutely on his best behaviour. His wares were being carried by his miniature polar bear, who walked about on two legs beside him. His tail was wiggling a hundred miles an hour behind him, and definitely in danger of knocking things over. He just overheard some wolves say they could eat when he turned his attention on them. “Hi, Hi Hi! He said, stopping before them both. Did you want some honey candy? I made them myself!” He beamed

"Wylan Fatalis"
[Image: lQqyuza.png]
As his 'companion' Krakarak may enter any of Wylan's threads without warning

Jael

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Balanced
player
wicked

02-08-2024, 07:43 PM

The hustle of the market stalls is... unnerving. It's hard not to be jumpy in an environment like this. At least there are so many differences among them that she's hardly the biggest spectacle. With the proximity of the cattle dogs, it's the most ordinary she's felt since arriving. That's a comfort. A sheepish smile to Modesty as she hovers near the woman's shoulder, nodding softly. It had been a long walk, and she wouldn't complain but... yes. Food. Lightly wagging her tail, the wolfdog is cut off by a child's voice before she can answer.

Precarious beating of his tail and-- wings? Another one? Without a second thought, Jael ducked between Modesty's forelegs, peering out from beneath her to watch the boy. Nervous. The wings first and then the markings through his eye. The same as the man that had threatened to kill her not so many weeks ago. Swallowing hard, eyes going wide. Nervous. Far more nervous than she was a moment ago. Unable to even find the words to answer the boy, Jael's opalescent gaze goes to Modesty instead. Yeah, he was just a kid, but Jael has seen the damage just a kid can do. Cal especially, and the boy in front of her is every bit as big. Trying not to look outwardly afraid of a kid, Jael nervously tucks against her guardian.

“Speech.”

coded by NachoMumma

Modesty

"The Audacity™"

Raiders Hollow
Raid Queen

Master Navigator (306)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
NachoMumma

02-09-2024, 08:19 PM

Modesty turned her gaze to the young boy, a small smile pulling at the corners of her lips and then twisting to confusion as Jael tucked herself away under her chest, much like she had at Sparrow's fight. It took a moment for the pieces to fall into place, the boy had those familiar eye markings that Dread also had, that Azure also had. She had mentioned her run in with the man after they had left the spectacle and Modesty wasn't surprised. Azure certainly had it in for the once Pirates, not that they gave him much opportunity to forget about them.

She relaxed and looked over the sweets that the bear had held out on a tray. “Made them yourself? They certainly do look tasty.” She finally addressed the giant winged child, he must almost be a yearling based on size alone. “How much are you asking for these masterpieces? We have some pretty necklaces my boy made, if you'd prefer a trade?” Some with seashells, some with feathers and pits of bone or scraps of fur. While her stomach growled for meat, the honey snack would get her to the other end of the market, she was sure.

“Speech.”

coded by NachoMumma

Wylan

Armada
Heir Apparent

Master Fighter (300)

Master Intellectual (250)

An icon representing the specialty Marauder Marauder

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
02-17-2024, 03:02 AM
Wylan blinked, tilting his head to the side as the black wolf tucked closer to the brightly coloured one. Had he said something wrong? He glanced back towards the purple wolf, who seemed far more relaxed and utterly unfazed by him. “Was it something I said?” The innocent little pup asked, before allowing himself to be distracted by her questions. “I did! My mumma Halo helped me make them” He explained

“Oh, yes! A necklace. Maybe two? How many sweets did you want?” He asked. Battering and trading was new to him. He had no idea what he should be asking for - but anything shiny would be a win with him.

"Wylan Fatalis"
[Image: lQqyuza.png]
As his 'companion' Krakarak may enter any of Wylan's threads without warning

Sirius

"Warlord"

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (275)

An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

LegendaryWealthySamhain 2022Statue 1 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 1
WordySilver Medal 2020Critical Hit!Critical Fail!Trick 2019Promptober 2019
02-17-2024, 03:05 AM
The Warlord laughed as he finally caught up to Wylan, ruffling his head with a paw, before looking across at the guests to the marketplace. “Hello, I’m Sirius. Please let me know if this riffian is bothering you” he said with friendly ease, ruffling Wylan’s fur again as the pup squeaked out a protest in his defence. Wylan wouldn’t know he was annoying, if someone was smacking him in the face with a sign saying ‘you annoy me’ But he was a good kid, who meant well.

He paused just after speaking, and frowned a little at Modesty. “I’m sorry, you look familiar. Have we met before?” He knew his memory wasn’t what it had been in his youth.

"Sirius Fatalis"

Jael

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Balanced
player
wicked

02-17-2024, 03:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2024, 03:43 AM by Jael. Edited 1 time in total.)

The boy is innocent. Distractible. Jael is grateful for that, offering only a sheepish smile in return. Her ear still remains trained on the cows themselves, knowing why they lingered in the area. Eyes on the prize, right? Hyperaware of the situation, she can't help herself. Jael exists at the intersection of selective breeding and trauma (generational, otherwise). in a way that makes socializing hard.

Oh great, a second man that shared a face with the one who threatened to eat her for no reason. At least by now, Jael has fixed her face. Though her keen gaze flickers over him as well, she's reminded herself that the intensity... creeps people out. Dial it back. Be socially acceptable. Wear the mask for a little bit, you can melt down later. Abraxas help her, she wouldn't reflect badly on Modesty in public.

She would keep the boy busy while the adults did their talking. “Can we have two please? You can pick out two necklaces if that sounds fair.” Jael speaks to Wylan, her tail giving a little twitch. A different mask than the one she wears with Ken or Sid, gentler, though she still speaks to him nearly the same as she would a friendly adult. Moving to uncoil the necklaces from Modesty's bag while she dealt with alpha conversations, Jael is grateful she can at least be useful here too. Still, she keeps one ear out for the cows. Still listening for coughing, though satisfied she hasn't heard any yet.

“Speech.”

coded by NachoMumma

Modesty

"The Audacity™"

Raiders Hollow
Raid Queen

Master Navigator (306)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
NachoMumma

02-17-2024, 04:50 AM

Modesty was about to offer the boy two necklaces when Sirius approached. Her tail gave a welcome wave and she smiled, pleased that Jael willingly stepped up to finish their bartering, despite being startled before. “Warlord,” she greeted the old man warmly, “I imagine when last we met I was emerging from a mud bath with Ophie, and barely a yearling at that. The years do get away from us.” She sounded almost wistful.

“I have recently stepped up to lead Raider's Hollow. My name is Modesty, my mother is Toxicity, and my daughter... is Deluge.” The latter was followed by a grimace, and a long suffering sigh. “That girl is a persistent thorn in my side, but she seems quite taken with your son, I believe they soon plan to leave us and start a band of their own.” There was a hint of humour in her tone, a smile tugging at the corner of her lips.“Though you are always welcome to visit, I believe they have built themselves a treehouse out on the Archipelago.” It had almost seemed to spring up overnight. She had been quite impressed when she stumbled across it recently.

“I do promise, we aren't here to cause strife... today. It was a tease, the wave of her tail and her smile betraying her. “We're here to look at livestock, Jael has quite a few plans for our little island home, and I'm excited to see where they take us.” She was genuinely excited to see the other woman's vision come to life, and she didn't mind who heard about it.

“Speech.”

coded by NachoMumma

Thread Move Log
Thread Forum From To
1. To market, to market Dreamer's Col 09:23 PM, 01-31-2024 08:26 AM, 04-19-2024