size
Extra small
build
Light
player
MalBelle

Pride - Demisexual
10-14-2023, 07:46 PM

over the past few days, they’ve been giving what Strai had said some serious thought, mulling over the benefits of facing off against large game. is he really right? is the key really to put themselves in the way of danger? of course Strai would say that, they think to themselves, picking their way through the grass. it’s just his kind of crazy thinking. and yet, a part of them would be lying if they said they didn’t want to give it a try. but if they’re going to do this, they want Strai at their side; it’s his idea, after all, so he ought to be there in case anything goes astray - and honestly, they felt safer with him around. he was just so capable. (not that they’d ever tell him that, it’d just go to his head.)

the scent of pack lingers near, the very same one they’d scented on Strai - so come to a stop in the centre of the plains and raise their voice, hoping the flat landscape will help it travel. “Strai! you around?”

"Speech"

1-D4-BC8-FA-F2-A8-4248-A607-57-A418-BA7-D2-C-removebg-preview

Spider has a male raven companion named Doomsday and a female snake companion named Lady Snakeskin. Assume they are present unless stated otherwise.

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-14-2023, 11:15 PM

Astraios was tanning a pelt when a voice unexpectedly called out to him. Honestly, getting house calls was so far from expected that he tilted his head to the side for a moment. Surprise and confusion crossing his muzzle for a moment. It didn’t take him long to recognise the voice, and when he did he shook his head. That kid, Spider, was certainly tenacious. For a moment, he thought about what it would be like to share the news of his recent adoption with a… friend. Even a probationary one. When did his life get so weird and complicated? Friends, and… a mother.

He trotted out to where Spider was waiting, and rolled his eyes at the dark pelted wolf. “Why would I be around, Spider? It’s not like I'm indentured to this pack or anything.” He said wryly, but there was a hint of amusement tugging at his muzzle.

"Speech"

[Image: Au67KGz.png]

Araneae

Armada
Heir

Master Hunter (246)

Master Fighter (290)

An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

An icon representing the specialty Berserker Berserker

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
MalBelle

Pride - Demisexual
10-15-2023, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2023, 01:35 AM by Araneae. Edited 1 time in total.)

Spider’s head snaps up, a grin spreading across their face at the sight of their probationary friend. “oh ha ha, Grumpy Butt,” they tsk, pulling a face. “no need to get snippy.” once again, Strai seems slightly different than the last time they’d met, though Spider can’t discern why. they don’t think it’s a bad change, though. what’s going on in that oversized nogan of yours, Strai. probably something violent - possibly directed at them. “i’m here to learn,” they announce, apropos of nothing. better to just come out and say it, maybe. with a dramatic bow, they add in their most simpering, servile voice, “teach me, oh master, the ways of the hunt. i am yours to command.” straightening up, they raise their head, the act falling away as they flash a wicked grin. “in other words: let’s go kill something big.”

"Speech"

Spider has a male raven companion named Doomsday and a female snake companion named Lady Snakeskin. Assume they are present unless stated otherwise.

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-15-2023, 01:46 AM

Strai blinked, caught once again by surprise. That seemed to be happening to him rather a lot lately. He was going to have neck issues by the time he was two if he didn’t stop getting whiplash. Spider was coming to him to learn? They were pretty much the same age. “Well, when you put it that way, how can I say no?” He said. He would definitely be telling Spider what to do, if just to see how long he could get away with it.

“Come.” He commanded, turning before Spider could see his grin, “I have just the thing for us” That Reindeer herd was still roaming near the pack lands. If they were lucky, the herd might be near the stream that connected to this territory. “Ever seen a reindeer before?”

"Speech"

Araneae

Armada
Heir

Master Hunter (246)

Master Fighter (290)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
MalBelle

Pride - Demisexual
10-15-2023, 02:20 AM

whelp, that had been easy! “you got it, teach. lead on.” Spider falls eagerly into step, tail waving happily behind them as they trot to keep up. they can’t wait to take down something cool - it’ll be so badass! and Bas will be so impressed!

but the more they think about the upcoming hunt, the more nervous Spider becomes. “nope, never! although i’ve heard of them - they have big sticks on their head, right?” anxiety squirms in their belly, knotting up their insides, and it spills from their mouth in a myriad of words. “how big are they? like are we talking bear size? i saw a bear once; it tried to eat me! but Bas saved me before it could - he’s super strong so he can do stuff like fight bears by himself. i hope i can do that one day. or are they bigger than a bear? ooo, i don’t know what i’ll do if they’re bigger!”

"Speech"

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-15-2023, 11:16 AM
As he led Spider to the stream, he considered the hunt. He'd need to put Spider into the path of the reindeer if they were going to desensitise them. He was quite comfortable taking on one head first, but it was tricky with their hooves. Spider didn't have claws like he did to cling to their coat.

Big sticks… "Yeah, something like that. It's winter, so the ones with antlers are female." Not that Spider needed to know that. He glanced at his companion sideways at the words that spilled out. "I fought a bear." He said casually, as if it hadn't almost killed him even with an adult doing most of the work. "They're similar in height, but bears are heavier. Deer are made to run, with long legs that are quite delicate." And with that, he had an idea. "Let's make a trap… I have a perfect idea, Spider. Listen." He said coming to a stop and turning to his friend. 

"We dig a hole, it doesn't  have to be deep, just enough to trip one. We position you in some bushes in front of it so it's like they are running right at you, so you can practice not flinching, but the deer will fall before it reaches you." That way Spider wasn't really in danger. At some point, that had started to be a concern to him. Another thing to worry about. He should have cut Spider loose already.

Araneae

Armada
Heir

Master Hunter (246)

Master Fighter (290)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
MalBelle

Pride - Demisexual
10-15-2023, 10:01 PM

thankfully, in the face of a plan, Spider’s anxiety begins to deflate and excitement sweeps in to replace it. it’s hard to stay nervous in the face of Strai’s cool pragmatism and careful planning, after all. “you fought a bear?” they gasp, voice a mixture of awe and disbelief. “like, alone?” damn it, why does Strai have to be so cool? it simply isn’t fair. “always tryna one-up me, huh?” they tease, coming to a pause as they reach the stream’s edge.

they scan their surroundings, searching for an appropriate bush. “i gotta admit, this is a pretty great plan, teach.” they slant Strai a glance, biting down on a smirk. “guess you’re not as dumb as i thought.” then they scoop up a pawful of stream water and attempt to flick it at him, squealing with laughter and darting a few paces away in case he tries to retaliate. their run turns into a stumble, sending them crashing into a nearby bush. “ompfh!” they splutter, coughing up a mouthful of leaves. “ugh, gross…hey wait, what about this one?”

"Speech"

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-17-2023, 01:02 AM

“Well… no, but I took the killing blow.” He said, voice pausing, and then rising with a smug undertone at the end. There was no way he could face a bear alone, not at this size, and he knew it. Perhaps one day… he shook away the thought. He hated having to depend on others, but sometimes there was just no help for it.

“Trying to one-up you? That implies it’s even an effort, Rabbit.” He said, grinning back at the smaller wolf again. Yes, Spider had won against him, but that had been nothing but a fluke. It wouldn’t happen again.

He was glad Spider liked the plan, not that he would admit to anything out loud. Now they just had to set it in motion. He was already scouting for a good way to lay out the trap, and was listening to Spider with half an ear. He did flick his ears at the other pup at the insult, but because most of his attention was elsewhere he didn’t see what Spider was doing, until he felt water running through his coat.

He turned fully towards Spider and put on a bit of speed, he was about to tap Spider’s paw in an attempt to trip them when… Spider tripped all on their own. Which would have been great, except Strai was only a half pace behind them, and he tripped right over Spider. Landing on top of them in the bush. “Ooompfh” he said, repeating Spider’s exclamation. “Yeah… this one.” He agreed, trying to push himself off Spider without breaking the bush.

"Speech"

Araneae

Armada
Heir

Master Hunter (246)

Master Fighter (290)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
MalBelle

Pride - Demisexual
10-17-2023, 08:30 AM

the air leaves Spider in a rush as Strai lands atop them, essentially flattening them into the bush. they give an experimental wiggle, but mostly just wait for Strai get up on his own (they’d never admit it, but they definitely probably couldn’t dislodge him themselves). “we really have to stop meeting like this,” they sing-song, referring to the time Strai had mistaken them for a rabbit. “what would Delphi think?” flashing a cheeky grin, they wait for Strai to clamber off and then, assuming he does so, scrambles to their feet. “so should i start digging the hole and you can chase the deer over? i’m a great hole digger.” well, probably. they hadn’t really had any need to do so before, but how hard could it be, really?

"Speech"

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-17-2023, 11:49 AM
At that, Strai pushed off Spider with less consideration to squishing them. Scrambling back a step, he scowled down at them. "What are you implying!?" He asked, proving that he was still a very prickly wolf when it concerned Delphi. He glared a little bit longer, hoping he looked suitably fierce, before taking a step back. "Fine, you dig the hole. Just be ready for the reindeer!" He told Spider. Hopefully he'd be able to spook the deer in the right direction. 

He'd need to find them, spook them, and herd them. At least they'd found the perfect spot to set the ambush. He turned and trotted away, leaving Spider to finish the setting up.

Araneae

Armada
Heir

Master Hunter (246)

Master Fighter (290)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
MalBelle

Pride - Demisexual
10-17-2023, 04:11 PM

Spider’s stomach twists with guilt, mouth falling open with surprise as Strai stomps angrily away. “aw, hey, wait!” they call after him, watching his retreating figure grow smaller. “i’m sorry, Strai, i was just kidding! don’t be mad!” they sigh to themselves, mouth twisting in a grimace. they just couldn’t stop making him mad! turning back to the bush, they begin scooping up pawfuls of earth and setting them aside, steadily creating a decently sized divot in the earth. once they’d deemed it deep enough, they sit back to inspect their work, nodding to themselves in satisfaction. shaking a cloud of dust from their pelt into the air, they hop behind the bush and peer out through the branches, haunches bunched up in anticipation.

"Speech"

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-17-2023, 05:05 PM
Scowling and annoyed for reasons even he didn't fully understand, Strai made his way to the stream and sought out the scent of deer. He knew he was lucky when he found a trail that led him just a little further around a bend. The herd grazed there, enjoying patches of grass, and some warm splashes of sunlight. 

A quick scan found an older reindeer near the outskirts of the herd. That would be his victim. He made a long track around the herd, carefully not to prematurely spook them.

When he was ready, he charged out of cover with a howl, puffing himself up. When the herd spooked, he cut the older deer off from joining them. Driving him away, and towards where he had left Spider. This plan better work…

Araneae

Armada
Heir

Master Hunter (246)

Master Fighter (290)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
MalBelle

Pride - Demisexual
10-17-2023, 06:05 PM
Spider sits crouched among the bushes, twitching with anticipation. they strain to stare out into the distance, every little noise making them sit up taller and strain their ears. they needn’t have bothered, however; they can tell when the deer is approaching by a sudden thundering of hooves and a shuddering of the ground, which rumbles like a heartbeat beneath Spider’s feet. a moment later it’s antlered shape comes charging into view, and Spider’s own heart kicks into gear at the sheer size of it. it’s bigger than they could’ve even imagined, and it’s antlers are so large they look like knives pointing directly towards the sky. full body terror seizes Spider as it bears down on them, and they can’t help but let out a scream. the noise startles the deer, which comes to an abrupt halt, skidding across the grass. it’s front hoof clips the hole and it lurches forward, falling forward - directly towards Spider. Spider screams again, loud and shrill, and clenches their eyes shut as the creature bears its entire weight down on them. “STRAI!” they scream, his name ripping from their tongue in desperation. they try to move out of the way, but only manage to move their front half out of the way before it falls.

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-17-2023, 06:30 PM
Strai felt frozen as he watched the scene unfold before him. He felt his eyes widen, and his nostrils flare. Spider spooked, the deer spooked, and Strai was too damn slow to do anything about it. 

As he watched the deer fall, he felt his stomach tie into knots. He knew at that moment exactly how Bylgja had felt. He skidded to a stop next to the reindeer and Spider, the small pup already beneath the collapsed deer. The animal was screaming in pain and flailing dangerously. It would be all too easy for it to kick Spiders brains out in its panicked state. He leaped onto the side of the deer, running to the head. He bit it's neck, spraying blood across himself and Spider's top half. The deer screamed once more, and fell still. Leaving Spider beneath its impressive weight. "Spider! Spider! Tell me you're okay!" He snarled, jumping off the deer and landing beside Spiders head.

Araneae

Armada
Heir

Master Hunter (246)

Master Fighter (290)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
MalBelle

Pride - Demisexual
10-17-2023, 07:09 PM
there’s silence for a few moments after the deer falls still, and then: “ow…” Spider’s groan is low and muffled, voice rough with pain. they try to stand, but their legs shake and the deer is too heavy, especially in this lifeless state. pain shoots through their left hip, causing them try cry out and freeze in place. “i…can’t move,” they pant, panic beginning to spill into their voice. “please…help, Strai. i can’t get up.”

their entire face is stained in blood and their eyes are wide with fear, painting quite the ghastly picture. desperately they search for Strai’s face, needing an anchor, some point of familiarity and safety with which they can latch onto.

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-17-2023, 07:26 PM
Strai felt a painful 'thump, thump' in his chest, as if he was the one being squeezed. He reached over and out his paw on Spider's shoulder, clutching the other pup. "Hold on, Spider. I'll get you out of there" he promised. He couldn't do what Bylgja had done, and pull the deer off by sheer force of will. He was just too small. Hearing Spider cry out chilled him to the bone, and he felt sick. Hating the feeling rolling inside of him, his expression set in grim lines.

Seeing no other alternatives, Strai pulled himself onto the deer and began to cut. Soon, both he and Spider were bathed in gore, as he shredded the deer around Spider's form. Once he'd cut enough of a chunk out, and dropped down beside Spider again. He grabbed the other pup's shoulder, and dragged them out. By this point, his expression was like a thundercloud. "We can't be friends anymore." He told Spider the moment the smaller pup was free. He took a step back, and it was lucky his face was soaked in blood so badly you couldn't tell his eyes were leaking.

Araneae

Armada
Heir

Master Hunter (246)

Master Fighter (290)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
MalBelle

Pride - Demisexual
10-17-2023, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2023, 08:13 PM by Araneae. Edited 1 time in total.)
they hold perfectly still the entire time, trusting Strai to get them out. blood and guts shower down on them, making their stomach roil, and as Strai pulls them out, bile crawls up their throat. they stagger a few steps and that same pain spikes through their hip again, causing them to bite down on a yelp. blind with relief, Spider gives a muffled sob and tries to fling themselves at Strai, clutching onto him with shaking hands. his words freeze them in place, however, and Spider slowly peels themselves away, blinking in bewilderment. something icy chills them to the bone, dread flooding through their veins. “but…but why?” is he really still mad at them for the teasing? “i’m really really sorry i said those things,” they sniffle, voice cracking. “i promise to never say stuff like that again!”

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-17-2023, 09:07 PM
Spider clutched to him for support, and he felt his will tremble. Spider was hurt and scared, but even as Strai recognised those emotions, he felt his anger rising. It hurt how much he cared. Somehow, without him realising, the list of people he'd bonded to had grown. He knew that if examined that list too closely, he would hyperventilate and he wasn't sure he would ever stop. 

He needed to cut Spider loose, before this got any worse. So he steeled himself, and he glared at them. "You don't get it! Seeing you get hurt… it was terrifying, and that means I care. I don't want to care, Spider. I've let this get too far, a-and this is the end!" He couldn't meet Spider's eyes. In fact, he couldn't even look at them. He didn't want to see how they were reaching to this.

Araneae

Armada
Heir

Master Hunter (246)

Master Fighter (290)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
MalBelle

Pride - Demisexual
10-17-2023, 09:52 PM
Spider is trembling now, both with the shock of the afternoon’s events and their dismay at Strai’s words. they’ve seen him angry, of course, but never like this. never so determined and stubborn and scared. that’s what this is: fear. turns out Strai did get scared after all, only it wasn’t about the usual things, like the dark or big predators or sharp knives. “p-please,” Spider begs, tears spilling from their eyes. their bottom lip trembles, and a terrible pain is stabbing at their heart, impossibly worst than the throbbing in their hip. “it’s o-okay that you care, it’s okay that you got scared! i care too! we can…we work through this together!”

they take a trembling step forward, eyes wide and beseeching. begging, pleading for Strai to just stay, to just talk to them. “i’ve never had anyone like you, Strai. please don’t do this…” their voice dissolves into sobs that wrack their chest and make their shoulders tremble. “please, just…stay.” oh stars, why didn’t anyone stay?

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-17-2023, 10:05 PM

He sensed Spider getting closer, saw the shadow of their form as they stepped within reach. He didn’t expect the other wolf to react as strongly as they did. He caught the limp of their movement - reminding him that Spider had just been crushed under a reindeer. They were hurt. He tilted his head further down, trying to block Spider out of his vision.

But he couldn’t block out the sobbing, the desperate wrenching of their crying. The way their voice trembled and broke. Strai leaned forward, and found Spider’s shoulder almost instantly. He let out a slow, trembled breath as he leaned his head on Spiders. “I-I don’t know why it matters so much to you. You barely even know me.” Or was this just how people worked? He had known Bylgja only a day when something unbreakable had built between them. It didn’t make sense to him that people could form bonds so quickly, but what did he know about it? He closed his eyes, and sniffed. “Alright, alright, just stop. I won’t leave.” He said miserably.

"Speech"

Thread Move Log
Thread Forum From To
1. here goes nothing Serpent Plains 07:46 PM, 10-14-2023 03:19 AM, 02-13-2024