Small
build
Light
player

The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
01-30-2024, 12:28 PM
Art & Code © Skelle 2023

"Speech!"

Laeta knew she didn't have much time left in this world. She felt it each day her eyes fluttered open, with each heaving muster of breath that left wracking pains across her emaciated form. Her appetite was dropping. She barely drank. Each day she awoke she had to look about the things in her room; the dried flowers, the plush cushions and blankets laid about her like a nest, and the crackling fireplace Mel kept lit nearly all the time, just to remind herself she had not crossed the boundaries of this life yet. The herbs given to her by the pack's physicians did little to dull the everlasting pain in her joints, already far too painful to move anymore. She could barely stand or walk for more than a few steps before collapsing, and ultimately, anymore she needed to travel was in a little cart Mel pulled around.

Today, though, she was tired. Very, very tired. She asked Mel not to take her out of bed, to let her stay comfortably in the next of pillows arranged about her to keep her propped up, the blankets covering her boney form as she could no longer thermoregulate properly. But she was just alert enough for another visitor; she needed one, after all, following the death of another very dear friend.

She wondered who it was, then, peering through the crack in her bedroom door.

comin' up for air in the deepest of the deep ends
i thought i learned it all, but boom, the plot thickens
laeta has a european badger companion named melis. he can speak and is assumed to be with her at all times.

Sota

The Hallows
Scout

Expert Intellectual (165)

Master Navigator (255)

An icon representing the specialty Scout Scout

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
Nyx

Samhain 2022Statue 4 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantPride - DemisexualChristmas 2019
01-31-2024, 03:13 PM

It was a heavy time in the pack, with losing Audra and the grief that came along with it. He knew as well as anyone else that Laeta's health wasn't faring well either lately, though instead of choosing to lean into the unfairness of her mortality, instead he chose to be grateful she'd been in his life for this long. He was acutely aware of just how much more time they'd all gotten with her than they'd ever expected. He health had declined terrifyingly fast during the Long Night, and somehow she'd bounced back from it. None of them could escape the clutches of time and aging, though, and he'd come to terms with that fact - even he himself was beginning to feel his age these days, aching more often than not when he awoke in the morning.

There were many reminders of his own mortality, but he didn't tend to linger on them long. He was always, always looking forward, choosing to hope for a tomorrow rather than fear that today might be his last.

He thought about Laeta often these days, so it was no surprise when he lingered near the doorway to her room. He clutched a bouquet of flowers between his tiny jaws. Flower-collecting had once been a silly pasttime of his, something he'd thought up to bring a little life to the castle in the midst of so much bad - so many years ago now - but he'd leaned hard into the hobby now. It had become almost obsessive, though was currently tricky given the cool weather in Auster this season. Routinely he'd go out and find what he could, no matter how long it took him, and bring them back to replace the ones that had wilted and dried to nothing.

Today's gift was a more direct one though. Kaito had helped him weave a bit of vine around the stems and tie it off, forming a carefully arranged bouquet of flowers and plants that he just found quite pretty. There were dandelions, a sparse sprinkling of marigold and lavender, some long stalks of grass and even a particularly pretty young fern that he'd liked the look of. He hoped it'd bring a bit of light to Laeta's day. Though she somehow seemed to find a way to stay positive no matter what she'd endured, he didn't mind helping keep her spirits bright.

"Laeta? Are you awake?" He spoke, muffled with the bouquet between his teeth. Happy to come back another time if she wasn't feeling up for it, he crept toward her door and peeked his head inside, smiling once he realized she appeared lucid enough for company. "Mind if I come in?"

Sota has a male bamboo lemur companion named Kaito, he's sometimes nearby but usually only if stated!

Laeta

Somnium

Intermediate Navigator (40)

Expert Intellectual (135)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player

01-31-2024, 11:02 PM

Upon seeing Sota's face peering through the door, carrying with him a lovely bouquet of flowers, Laeta's tail thumped weakly yet clearly on her bed. Her dear friend had come to visit, what a highlight to her day! Mel opened the door to allow him in, the badger dipping his head in greeting as the winter rains pattered relentlessly against the castle walls.

"Sota, what a pleasure to see you!" Laeta greeted the small man, smiling ever so brightly. She idd not believe in worrying about the days ahead, like Sota believed as well. She took great happiness in enjoying each day that came to pass, not fearing the future and not dwelling in the past. She stayed in the present, blessed to share company amongst friends and relishing in each second she got to spend with them. Her ruby eyes, still vivid as ever despite her failing health, captured the bouquet he held. "What a lovely array of flowers - how fortunate you are to find such lovely specimens, what with all the rain we've been having!" She chuckled softly, clearly her spirits were not weary despite everything her physical form seemed to suggest.

"M-Make yourself comfortable, Sota. Would you like anything to eat or drink?" The badger inquired to the man, adjusting his monocle briefly.

”Speech” ’Thought’

laeta has a european badger companion named melis. he can speak and is assumed to be with her at all times.

Sota

The Hallows
Scout

Master Navigator (255)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
Nyx

Samhain 2022Statue 4 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantPride - DemisexualChristmas 2019
02-11-2024, 03:17 PM

For some, the weight of grief - and the impending loss of Laeta, which would doubtlessly only add to it - was a heavy thing to bear. Sota tried his best to see a light through it all though. The time he'd gotten to spend with them both was something he'd be infinitely thankful for, and he was just as grateful now to spend a little more time with her. He'd made the most of it while he was still able to.

His expression brightened immediately upon seeing her, and seeing that she had enough strength for his company, even if for a short while. He gave a polite dip of his head to Mel as he shuffled inside, grinning all the while, his own tail swaying behind him. "A pleasure to see you, too," he mumbled between clenched jaws, before depositing the bouquet at her bedside. Speaking without them clasped between his teeth was much easier. "Anywhere you'd like these?" Surely if he didn't find a suitable spot for them, Mel would, her ever-dutiful friend and companion.

Sota let out a soft laugh at her words. "You're right. Some are a little bit wilted. It isn't exactly the best time for flowers, but I was happy to take on the challenge and find some anyway." Hopefully his expression said as much, as he beamed ear to ear. His expression softened a little as he settled in next to her bed, reclining on his haunches for now. "I'm all good, Mel, but thank you." He regarded the badger for a moment before redirecting his attention on Laeta. "How are you feeling today?" Her declining health was not a surprise, so asking her how she was overall didn't seem like quite the right question to ask.

Sota has a male bamboo lemur companion named Kaito, he's sometimes nearby but usually only if stated!

Laeta

Somnium

Intermediate Navigator (40)

Expert Intellectual (135)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player

02-17-2024, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2024, 06:52 PM by Laeta. Edited 2 times in total.)
Art & Code © Skelle 2023

"Speech!"

Laeta smiled brightly -- even if the weather had been so monstrous and gloomy lately, her soul was a ray of sunshine, brightening the room with her ruby-gazed glow. The flowers Sota brought were absolutely lovely, and she replied, "Oh, anywhere is fine. How about the nighttable next to my bed? Just so I can see them each time I wake up," She said, gently nudging her muzzle towards the direction of her nightstand. She always had pressed flowers and dried flowers hanging about her room, but hers were falling apart as of late, so the introduction of new life via Sota for the room was heavily appreciated.

As Sota refused the need for food or drink, Mel nodded agreeably, allowing the wolf to sit where he pleased; there was a small set of cushions sitting near the crackling fireplace near her bed, coated with furs and blankets donated by members of the pack that wished her well. Some hoped she'd get better soon, bounce back as she did before; but those who understood her most knew she wouldn't come back from this. Not ever. As Sota asked how she was doing, she straightened up slightly, trying to make sure she could see her companion from her blanketed nest on her bed. "Oh, I've been better, Sota. But my day has become so much brighter now that you're here!" Her voice is kind and soft, like freshly oozed honey, gentle and warm and simply full of life. "How about you? How is everyone? I haven't seen much of anyone since Audra's funeral."

Sota

The Hallows
Scout

Master Navigator (255)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Light
player
Nyx

03-29-2024, 10:47 AM

Though the thought of losing Laeta saddened him, it was hard to feel sad for her, not when her spirits were so high. It seemed she had long since come to terms with her death, which was an admirable thing. If he could have it his way she'd live forever, all of his loved ones would - but he knew that was not how the world worked, so he'd have to come to terms with losing her too. It was a lot easier given how much extra time she'd gotten, when it seemed so certain that the Long Night had taken so much for her. He was grateful for the time they'd gotten to spend together, then and now.

He nodded eagerly, scooping the flowers up and hurrying over to her nightstand, which he had to stretch to reach the top of. Leaning up, he used his paw to spin them around so that she could see them better, retreating with a grin once he straightened them out properly.

Happy to stay a short while, he moved over to sit near her bed, dragging a cushion a bit further away so she wouldn't have to strain so much to see him... which wasn't really helped by his diminutive stature. "As has mine, dear Laeta," he agreed easily, letting the warmth of her companionship wash over him. He'd never really been taught the importance of these relationships, coming from a culture where independence was pushed hard on young wolves, and he'd never expected to be so close to so many wolves. He was so thankful for how his life had turned out, and how many wolves he'd gotten to care for and love so fiercely. He mentally added a reminder to tell her just how much he did love her before he left today - it felt important for him to say out loud.

"I've been okay, I think. Things have been hard on everyone, but we're all finding ways to get through," he admitted softly. "I know everyone is looking forward to warmer weather soon. I think that first touch of spring will really cheer everyone up." His smile wilted just slightly then, though he hadn't intended for it to. He'd just gotten settled down, but he sat up a bit taller, considering. "Would it be alright if I laid with you for awhile? If you're up for it?" Sota looked bashful, worried he might be overstepping by requesting such a thing.

Thread Move Log
Thread Forum From To
1. jacob and the stone Amron's Castle 12:28 PM, 01-30-2024 08:23 AM, 04-19-2024