size
Large
build
Light
player
Joe

Pride - Bisexual
03-22-2024, 03:38 PM

From high on the balconies of Hearthstone, Ember had heard the commotion coming from down on the Shimmering Shore. The young Carpathian stepped away from her book and walked out into the warm spring air, looking about to find the source of the ruckus outside. The sight that she saw down on the beach shocked and bewildered her. Gathered on the coast, looking like lost vagabonds, was the entirety of Ethne. She recognized Beauregard and Haydée as they tried to organize the cluster of scared looking wolves, looking equally as overwhelmed themselves, and then she saw her father separating from the group, running with a purpose in the direction of the castle. There were so many of them! Ember placed her forepaws on the balustrade and leaned in, straining to try to hear the voices over the sound of the ocean so she could figure out what was going on. Had something happened to their home? Was there a forest fire or something? Was the Hallows in danger too? So many questions filled the young girl's mind, and only one wolf had the answers right now—her father.

Hurrying back into her room, Ember ran out into the hallway and began to rush downstairs to try and intercept her father. She could already hear his voice shouting orders to Mercury and Ezra. Something was wrong. But by the time she got downstairs, she was only able to see the trio of wolves as they sprinted across the gardens, armed for bear. Ember's run slowed to a trot, then to a walk as she made it as far as the garden terrace before giving up the pursuit. Where were they going in such a hurry and equipped for battle? So many confusing thoughts swirled in her brain, but no answers were left for her to find. She would just have to wait until her father returned from whatever it was he was doing to ask him. Hopefully, he would shed some light on what was going on and if she needed to be concerned. So, with nothing else to do in the meantime, Ember parked herself on the terrace steps, sitting in wait to make sure she grabbed her father as soon as he got back.

"Ember Carpathius"

Artorias and Briar may enter any of Ember's threads while she is under 2 years old.

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
04-12-2024, 12:23 AM

Heavy paws trudged their way across the soft spring grasses of the Hallowed plains, heading back to the glowing lights of Hearthstone. Artorias' whole body felt heavy with the weight on his heart and mind following the confrontation with the Syndicate. Words had been said, intentions laid bare, and threats of the most gruesome nature issued on both sides. It seemed the two packs were destined to be fated enemies for the rest of time—or until one of them fell. The righteous side of him wanted to march his warriors across that border and butcher every Saxe preemptively to ensure no further harm could be done by their paws. But open conflict was not something Artorias wanted. He did not yearn for a war nor did he wish to endanger the lives of his wolves, his family. But if the Syndicate came back with fangs and claws aimed at them... then what? How would the Hallows respond? And Norad... those poor wolves... Artorias breathed a heavy sigh as he thought of the refugees on the beach. Gods, the whole situation was fucked up.

Mercury and Ezra had been dismissed to alert the rest of the Hallowed guard to be on alert. Artorias did not know whether the Syndicate planned on remaining in Auster right next door or if they'd be relocating, but he wanted his soldiers on guard regardless. If the Saxes wanted to pick a fight, he'd gladly meet them on the battlefield and show off his warriors' prowess firsthand. But the first stroke of war would not come by his own paw. With his head still buzzing with thoughts, Artorias walked slowly through the gardens and up the terrace steps, pausing as a dark figure in his peripheral caught his attention. Amber eyes snapped up and landed on the worried face of his daughter. Ember had been waiting for him, it seemed. "Ember," he said in slight shock. "Sorry, my mind was miles away from me. Is everything okay, sweetheart?"

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Carpathian"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Ember Carpathius

"I'll be the fire that dries the flood"

The Hallows
Head Scholar

Master Fighter (295)

Master Intellectual (330)

An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

gems
size
Large
build
Light
player
Joe

Pride - Bisexual
04-12-2024, 02:29 AM

Ember didn't know how long she had been sitting on those steps waiting for her sire to return, but when he finally reappeared through the castle gates, it was well into twilight and moving into evening proper. The crickets in the garden had long since begun chirping their nocturnal tunes and stars began to blot the darkening heavens overhead. So it wasn't that much of a surprise when her distracted father didn't notice her darker form sitting there waiting for him right away. He looked distracted, like something was eating away at him, and though he was donned in full battle regalia, there wasn't a scratch or blood spatter on him. Wherever he had gone to, it hadn't been to fight, despite his attire. He approached the terrace, began to ascend the stairs—and then looked up at her. The surprise on his face betrayed how lost in thought he had been.

Ember cocked her head as she met her father's fire-toned gaze with her own cool eyes, scrutinizing his features to glimpse any details she could. "Is something going on?" she asked him, brazen and point blank. "I saw all those wolves down on the beach. I saw you grab Mercury and Ezra and rush out with your sword. What's going on, Dad?" Ember had risen to her paws and moved to position herself slightly in front of her sire, cutting off his direct path back into the castle. She wasn't going to relent on this. Something was happening—something not good—and she wanted to know what.

"Ember Carpathius"

Artorias and Briar may enter any of Ember's threads while she is under 2 years old.

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
05-05-2024, 10:01 PM

Ember's words struck surprise within the Carpathian patriarch. His daughter was far more observant than he gave her credit for. She'd seen the refugees of Norad gathering on the neighboring beach, seen him lead the pack's greatest warriors into the woods dressed for battle, then return unscathed. She was a bright girl and it didn't take a genius to figure out things were not all right on the continent of Auster at present. She held his gaze with such intensity that Artorias knew he wasn't going to be allowed to skirt this conversation with her. While he would have preferred to shelter his young child from such matters, this was not something that could be ignored, and if he was going to address the Hallows as a whole about it, then she would find out soon enough. Art released a heavy sigh and motioned for Ember to follow him as he stepped over to the balustrade along the length of the terrace, standing up to rest his forepaws over the edge of the railing.

"Norad has fallen. A hostile group of foreign wolves forced Beauregard into an impossible situation and he was forced to relinquish his pack and his home over to them. That's who you saw on the beach—the remnants of Norad." Artorias stared out at the evening spring gardens, a dour look on his face. "The new group calls themselves the Syndicate. They're extremely dangerous and depraved wolves. You are never to go near them, Ember. Am I clear?" Artorias turned his hard gaze over to his daughter now, waiting expectantly to hear her obedient reply.

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Ember Carpathius

The Hallows
Head Scholar

Master Fighter (295)

gems
size
Large
build
Light
player
Joe

Pride - Bisexual
05-05-2024, 10:08 PM

Ember quirked a brow when her father sighed and gestured her over to the terrace, presumably so they could speak. She followed at his side, even mirroring his movements to lean up on the balustrades with her paws dangling off the edge. Her attention was fully on her sire while he began to speak, telling her about the fall of their neighbors. Norad was no more, destroyed and dismantled by savages from the north. Ember's mouth hung open in shock, eyes wide as she listened to Artorias tell her of these dangerous wolves that had taken everything from their friendly neighbors and left them destitute. Now it all made sense... She'd watched all those wolves on the beach being led south by the Ethne wolves and now she understood. They were homeless refugees being given shelter. Ember's shocked gaze dipped, then looked back out over the tranquil gardens again. How could such a horrible thing happen...?

Her father continued to speak, warning her about these Syndicate wolves and ordering her to never interact with them. Ember looked back and saw the intensity in her sire's eyes. She'd never seen him this serious or angry before. All she could do was nod in reply. "Yes, Dad. I understand," she said, averting her gaze to once more stare at their family gardens. All she could think about was what if those wolves tried to come for them. Surely her father would never cave to demands from terrorists like that, right? After a moment of quiet, Ember looked back to Artorias and asked, "So when are we going to kill them?" When he looked at her in alarm, Ember motioned to his unsullied armor and sword. "That's why you went over there, right? To kill the evil wolves that stole those wolves' home, right? You didn't do it now, so I'm guessing we're going after them later."

"Ember Carpathius"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

05-05-2024, 10:15 PM

Ember was quiet all the while he was explaining what had happened and what he had learned, but she was quick to accept his rule as her father to avoid the Syndicate. It brought some comfort to Artorias' concerned soul. His intense gaze softened some and he nodded his approval, humming a sound of acknowledgement before the two wolves went back to looking at the garden. His mind was racing with a million different thoughts, none of them good. He would need to convene a meeting of the Ashen Empire and all potential allies to warn them of this new threat. Sephiran had directly threatened all packs currently in the Empire and they needed to be warned as soon as possible.

Artorias' mental marathon was interrupted then by Ember's absurd question. The Lord of Cinder looked at his daughter shocked and aghast at her question, and even more bewildered by her explanation of how she'd gotten to her conclusion. "We're not going after them, Ember," he stated very matter-of-factly, the resolution in his deep voice making it clear that this was not up for debate. "I went over there as a show of strength, to warn the Syndicate of what will happen if they step out of line against us or our allies. I did not go over there to start a war." Artorias frowned and turned to face his daughter more directly, fixing her with a serious look. "Hunting down wolves goes directly against our tenets of the Hallows, Ember. You know that. Why would you ever suggest such a thing?"

One big happy family

Ember Carpathius

The Hallows
Head Scholar

Master Fighter (295)

gems
size
Large
build
Light
player
Joe

Pride - Bisexual
05-11-2024, 03:44 PM

Her father's shocked expression to her question confused Ember. It had seemed like a logical follow up to what he'd told her, but for some reason he seemed so taken aback by her. Ember's brow furrowed, her head tipped to the side in confusion. It was only when Artorias explained that they were not going to seek justice against the Syndicate that she understood where the disconnect had happened, and it stunned and upset the young girl. How could they just stand by and do nothing when there was such an obvious injustice and wrong done right before their eyes?! Despite her sire's remark that hunting down the Syndicate went against their tenets of the Hallows, Ember narrowed her gaze and shook her head resolutely.

"No it doesn't, Dad. This is exactly the kind of situation the Hallows was made for," she rebuked, stomping a paw on the stone terrace for emphasis. "You're always telling us how our family stands for justice and protecting others, how we're supposed to always do good and make the world better. Well, the world isn't better right now! It's worse off for the Syndicate in it! It's our responsibility to protect those wolves who lost their home and to protect Ardent from those villains." Ember's blue eyes blazed with a righteous fury, refusing to back down as she held her sire's stern gaze. Why couldn't he see that this was exactly what they were supposed to do? "What happens if they're left unchecked? How long until they decide to prey on another family or pack? How will you feel knowing you could've done something about this now and chose not to?"

"Ember Carpathius"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

05-14-2024, 02:27 PM

Ember’s response was so heated and brazen that it took Artorias by surprise. He hadn’t expected his daughter to take the news so hostilely. He hadn’t exactly expected blind compliance to what he said, but never before had Ember been so staunchly opposed to something he had said or done. The fire burning in her blue eyes was reminiscent of a much younger Artorias, and in that moment the Lord of Cinder felt like he was looking in a mirror to the past. He saw himself in his daughter—fiery and passionate in her resolve and ideals. He also saw that same recklessness that had put his own life in jeopardy more times than he could recount. He hadn’t had someone in his life to help him temper that righteous aggression when he was her age, but she had him to guide her and keep her in line and he was going to have to put on his stern father face now.

Artorias held his daughter’s furious gaze with his own unyielding stare, electricity passing between their eyes as neither backed down from their positions. Ember claimed that this was exactly the type of situation that the Hallows existed for, but oh, how she had so much to learn. "And what would you have me do, Ember? Lead our knights across the world on a crusade to cut down every foe we found? Do you realize how many of our own wolves that would risk? Not to mention leaving our home defenseless." Artorias breathed a slow sigh and softened his gaze a little, hoping he was getting through to his child. "I understand your drive to do good, Ember, but it cannot come at the expense of our family or our pack. You’re right, I cannot bear to think what this Syndicate might be capable of… but I cannot bear to think of the pain losing any of our loved ones more." The idea of any of his wolves dying—his wife, his children, his siblings—the notion was far too painful for his heart to bear.

One big happy family

Thread Move Log
Thread Forum From To
1. Virtues are not conditional Amron's Castle 03:38 PM, 03-22-2024 04:52 PM, 07-18-2024